Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Length: Audio Converter|Style: Digital to Analog|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,861 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,942 reviews
on November 24, 2014
I recently set up an Apple Airport Express (A/E) to stream music over WiFi to our 20 year old stereo system. Adding one of these very low cost DACs to convert the A/E's optical output to RCA analog made a massive improvement in how the system sounds.

With the PETDTAP, the sound is more spacial, detailed, and dimensioned. A highly recommended upgrade for very low cost.
review image
33 comments| 111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2015
First I want to thank Amazon and their Customer Service Dept for helping me get this device to my home ON TIME today. There was a huge mess up with the order and they took care of it instantly, as they always have for me. LOVE AMAZON CUSTOMER SERVICE!! AAA+++

Now about the product:
I bought a new flat screen TV and realized that while it was up-to-date-modern... my old stereo (that I use for my surround sound) was not, and would require some ingenuity to get the two to work together. Thus this product...

It takes an A/C Power Source... so that part is not wonderful, but once I turn on the power it worked excellently and instantly.

Optical Audio is the best quality sound you can have from your TV output... so I highly recommend them if your TV has the ability.

The unit plugs right in...

Each port that you will use to convert from Optical-to-RCA is easily accessible and CLEARLY Marked with intense White lettering on Black back ground. you don't have to guess at all... it is as simple to use as it gets.

I love this product and I won't forget it if there is a need again.

What I would love to see them do, is make it so that it works without having to have A/C power to do so... and in fact NO POWER would be best. But for now... realize that you will need an outlet to plug into.
review image
33 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2017
My new little Samsung TV surprised me by not having an audio jack like its predecessor's, but a kindly person online noted that it has a Toslink port, and explained what other equipment I would need to be able to use the sound from it, and I am now enjoying fine quality audio through my headphones. I am quite satisfied with this converter and would buy one again.

By the way, if anyone else as ignorant as me needs to go this route, be advised that Toslink ports are not all one standard size, and this converter, as well as the Toslink port on my TV require a a fiber optic cable whose plugs are smaller than the ones on, for example, the cable that I ordered through Amazon in the same order as this converter, which was the AmazonBasics Digital Optical Audio Toslink Cable - 3.28 Feet. This cable's sturdy appearance led me to choose it, but there was no way its plugs would fit into the ports. I finally took the converter to a nearby Radio Shack, where a clerk immediately gave me a fiber optic cable that did fit it. It's too bad that the plug sizes are not specified everywhere that the information would help people decide what to buy.

Anyway, I can recommend this converter. It does emit an extremely strong (though small) blue light that is especially noticeable at night. My husband sleeps near the TV and the light bothers him, so when he goes to bed, he switches off the surge protector we have it plugged into.
on August 25, 2012
Bought this to convert digital out from Apple TV to RCA for my home speaker system. Worked perfectly. It was plug and play. This was a relatively inexpensive solution to get audio out from Apple TV to RCA speakers. If you are looking to resolve a similar situation...this product is perfect.
0Comment| 141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 27, 2015
Works very nicely. Has a really neat cobalt blue light :) However, I wish it also had a power switch so I could turn it off when not in use. The light can be distracting when I'm watching TV in a dark room. I keep mine unplugged when not needed.

So...there are a LOT of reviews already posted on this item. I thought I would demonstrate how I'm actually using mine. My video shows how the unit works to connect headphones or earbuds (analog input) to an HDTV (digital audio output). Most headphones are analog input devices. On the other hand, modern flat-panel TVs use digital audio output. Surprisingly (to me anyway), most newer TVs do not have a headphone jack. That's where this converter comes in handy.

ITEMS and STEPS:
(0) HDTV --> (1) Digital Audio Splitter --> (2) Optic Cable --> (3) Portta Toslink to Analog Audio Converter --> (4) 3.5mm Stereo Female to 2 RCA Male Cable --> (*) Volume Control --> (5)Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones

(*) OPTIONAL ITEM:
Koss VC20 Volume Control. Use this or a headphone amp (more expensive) if your source output does not have volume control.
on June 18, 2016
This is the perfect cheap solution to using my old, but still good, stereo with a new TV that lacks analog audio out. I did have to get a cable to power it, and run it off the TV's USB flash drive socket. Look for a "USB 2.0 A Male To DC 5.5mm x 2.1mm Plug DC Power Supply Socket Cable Cord", got mine for a couple of bucks.
Other than that there's not much to say. It does what it says. I hear no flaws in the audio. Make sure your TV can be set to output PCM (vs DTS).
on July 18, 2015
Unit works great and helped me connect my new LED Tv to my older surround sound unit. The sound quality is good, I have the power cord directly plugged into the back of the equalizer so it only comes on when I power on my surround sound system. Highlights of the unit below...

Pros:
- Small size
- Ease of of connections
- No apparent loss of sound quality

Room for improvement
- The blue light, why? Had to remove a star for that blue light. An easy fix is to put black tape on it or leave the unit behind the television facing the wall.

Other than that darn light, I love the unit. Didn't need to buy a whole new Receiver thanks to this little unit.
on October 7, 2016
I use this to convert Apple TV (3rd generation) audio to analog (RCA). I bought it in May and it's still going strong. Great solution for $10!

For the nerds, here's exactly how and why I'm using it:
My Apple TV feeds my Onkyo receiver audio/video via HDMI as normal, but I have outdoor speakers connected to Zone 2 on the receiver.
Unfortunately, Zone 2 is analog only, so I had two concerns: 1) How to get RCA from Optical, and 2) Can the Apple TV send audio out of HDMI and Optical (to RCA) simultaneously? Because ideally, I want to play audio inside (Zone 1) and the same audio outside (Zone 2).
The first concern was solved by this box. For the second, the answer is yes - there is simultaneous audio out from both outputs! I kinda geeked out when all the pieces fell into place and I had the same music playing in/outdoors!
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on February 3, 2016
Like other reviewers, I was not aware that a power supply was not included. The supply needed is a 5V A/DC, 1A unit with a 5.5mm od barrel-2.1mm id. I used the toslink cable to connect a DIRECTV Genie HR54/700 satellite receiver/DVR to a legacy analog stereo amplifier. The unit did not work correctly after hooking up all the cables and the power supply. I read the reviews regarding the digital signal protocol and attempted to find out which protocol the Genie put out. The manual (as well as Amazon web site) specify that the unit expects 24-bit S/PDIF incoming signal. I called DIRECTV and a technician came. He removed the toslink cable from the converter unit and reinserted and at a point the sound could be heard on the analog amplifier. He informed me that toslink connections are very sensitive to the depth of the end plug's insertion into a port. So on this Portta unit, I had to move the toslink plug in and out in small increments until the signal worked. So moving the unit around can cause the signal to be lost, but adjusting the plug allows it to work again. I still don't know what signal protocol the Genie puts out, but this unit does work as designed in this configuration. I rated it 3 stars because I had to find out what power supply it needed, order it, and then have to get help to get the toslink cable to work in the port on the unit. I'm sure the audio coax unit would have been easier to hook up.
on May 9, 2017
I use this converter to change my Playstation 4's optical audio output to Stereo in order to use my 5.1 surround sound system (which doesn't support optical). I can't compare it to any other audio converters like this, but I haven't observed any issues with delay or sound quality. It sounds great with my games and movies. The only thing that may be an issue for you is likely to be the intense brightness of the blue power indicator light. In a dark room, it creates a lot of light. You will definitely want to angle the adapter so that the light isn't blinding, distracting, or just aesthetically unpleasing. You may even consider covering the light with something such as black electrical tape. Otherwise a great solution!