Spring Deals Automotive Amazon First Reads Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Save $20 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment. Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on November 7, 2011

I bought this after reading many reviews on here and noting that many people said it worked with Coby Kyros. Shipping was FAST! I got it in 4 days with two of them being weekend days. The case is nice and sturdy, great hardcover protection. I was aware it came with the keyboard and plug, and that I would have to use my adapter that came with my Coby Kyros, but it was a pleasant surprise to find a stylus was also included and that there is a nice holder for that and for the cord that holds the plug for the keyboard.

Many people have mentioned this case does not fit their 7-inch tablets, but there is a VERY EASY fix. Before placing your tablet into the 3 prongs, first bend the prongs downward (toward the case backing) a little further than they are currently seated. I did this and my 7-inch Kyros (which originally just slipped right in) now fits snugly in the 3 holders. I even held it over my bed and vigorously shook the case up and down while it was open and my tablet never fell out or even slipped at all. It's much easier and less "messy" than one other reviewer's suggestion of using Velcro - and much easier to get the tablet in and out this way.

Finally, when I first connected my adapter that came with my tablet to the keyboard adapter I was very disappointed that nothing happened. I tried several different browser pages, mashed all the buttons on the keyboard, clicked on the Function key and snooze button twice in case it was in sleep mode, etc. but nothing happened. I finally kept reading reviews on here and noticed on about page 3 or 4 that someone mentioned they changed their USB settings and their keyboard finally started working. So, I immediately went to my Settings, Advanced Settings, and then USB BUS MODE and changed it from DEVICE mode to HOST mode and VOILA - the keyboard immediately started functioning. Not only that, but I can have it connected or not connected and both the external keyboard and my device keyboard still function normally. For anyone that hooks it up to their tablet and thinks it is not actually working - please try this and it might save you the time and hassle of sending it back to the manufacturer.

I have so far been able to browse faster, type more quickly and get through many more screens faster using this keyboard and cover than I was ever able to do with my fingers and stylus with the tablet and device keyboard in the past. I am going to LOVE this purchase!!
5150+ comments| 1,369 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 31, 2012
**this is designed for a STANDARD USB port, if your tablet uses MICRO USB, get a micro USB to USB cable (I used this one: Micro USB to USB Female Cable USB- OTG For Galaxy S2 I9100).**

**this case is NOT SECURE--I would recommend modifying it as I did below; otherwise, it's your own fault if your tablet slips out**

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I'm typing with the keyboard on my Nexus 7, at a speed of ~30 WPM instead of my usual ~100WPM--hey, it beats using the touchscreen keyboard! I literally just plugged it in, and it works great!

fit: The top prong is springloaded to adjust to any size. however, because there are no side prongs, it's not secure at all. I'll have to modify it later in order to make the case portable.
construction quality: a little sloppy, but it doesn't look incredibly cheap. I don't think there's much quality control regarding stitching or where magnets are placed, or how wide apart the prongs are.
size: 5.5 x 9 x 1.75 inches. It's small but a little unnecessarily thick.

OVERALL: The main drawbacks of the case are its poor fit (I don't trust three little prongs with holding my tablet secure) and unnecessary thickness (quite a bit of extra space); however, these can be rectified with modifications. I like the convenient pop-out stand (makes your tablet feel like a laptop).

-keyboard dimensions: 8" by 3", not including leather bezel. So yes, it is pretty cramped.
-key size: most essential keys are 1.5 cm, but they're crowded. I don't have an issue with letters so much as the punctuation keys, which are very crowded (and only 1cm wide)
key layout: like I said, letter and number keys are laid out perfectly. All other keys are squeezed. Some are in a weird location, like the apostrophe (which is located below the period). I use apostrophe way more than the colon, I feel like those should have been switched,
-button functionality: I notice some keys don't work. This may or may not be a function of the tablet, not the keyboard. My DELETE key doesn't work.

OVERALL: They did a good job keeping the alphanumeric keys the same size, but I would have appreciated a more intelligent design, according to what keys are used most (shift, ctrl, apostrophe, etc.) The really cramped keys are at the bottom, so typing words isn't the hard part, it's ending them that slows you down. I like that it has signals for capslock, numlock, etc. For the price, I have no complaints. Can this compare to a full-sized keyboard? NO. Is it much more efficient than any touchscreen keyboard? Yes.

TIP: it's faster for me to type with my hands above the keyboard, like how you'd play keys on a piano, rather than with your palms flat down. If you have large hands, you'll definitely have a harder time.

If you plan on carrying your tablet around with this, I would STRONGLY recommend the following:
-purchase a TPU or hard case. You can find TPU cases for like 5 bucks.
-Remove the metal prongs.
-superglue on the TPU/hard case to the keyboard case.
-adjust the thickness of the case by bending the spine. This will REALLY reduce the bulk.

See the modified case pictures I posted in the product gallery. Not beautiful, but it works. Now I can use this case without worrying that my tablet will slip out and crack on the ground. Not to mention, removing the prongs and bending the spine makes it SO much thinner!
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
33 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 9, 2012
I felt a need for this item as I began trying to run emulators and edit documents with my Nexus 7. I had a full-sized keyboard plugged in and felt it was unwieldy and definitely not portable, so I began my search for a cheap solution. That's exactly what I found in this product. Let's break it down:

The Case
The case feels cheap, has hideous stitching and has a flap at the top that loves to hang in-front of the tablet. The brackets for the tablet represent a poor design choice. They are metal, wrapped with faux leather, that must be bent back to accommodate the tablet. It seems like a design choice that would have been made in my dad's shop out back; definitely not an elegant solution. The sizing of the case makes holding and using the tablet while in the case, not impossible, but extremely aggravating. I found myself constantly pulling my tablet out so I could interact with it. I would say that the case is more of a hassle than a help.

The Keyboard
The keyboard... is a keyboard. I have no major complaints about it, nor are there any features that make me want to sing its praises.

The Stylus
The stylus is useless on tablets that are calibrated to finger sizes. It seems that a lot of manufacturers are just trying to get rid of old stock. It's also worth mentioning that the stitching around the holster for the stylus promptly ripped when I first tried to remove it. Luckily it's useless and I could care less about the defect.

If you pay less than 10 bucks for this, then it's not a complete waste, but I would recommend holding out for a while if you have ANY intention of getting a better case and keyboard. I'm fairly frugal and always lean towards economy, but this would have been an exception had I known what I was getting. If I could have wound back the hands of time, I would have told myself to take a look at keyboards in the $20 to $30 range. If you are leaning towards this post-purchase suggesion, then I would also recommend hunting for a case with a detachable keyboard.

What is my case doing now? It's sitting inside my laptop bag getting used to the dark. I've found it easier just to leave my full-size keyboard on my desk with a tablet stand at the ready.
on April 24, 2016
I purchased this tablet stand December 2, 2011 to go with my very first tablet because I was an internet dinosaur. I was not acquainted with touch screens and other such technical stuff. Two of my grown kids told me about the tablet stand and suggested I get it to help me learn my way around on the tablet. I bought it, and I learned quickly that the (grown) kids were right. This external keyboard helped tremendously.

This is what I learned about the tablet stand:

-It is made of high quality durable leather. Therefore, it will last a good long time because I am very particular with my gadgets. I treat them kindly and they last.

-Easy to use. There were no complicated issues to maneuver to use this keyboard.

-It has a secure magnetic closure that snaps shut and the device is secure… after my son modified the tablet and tablet stand with Velcro strips.

-It has real laptop style keys. I didn’t have to figure out anything new. I could just go about typing and clicking like I was on a regular laptop.

-The tablet connected to the keyboard easily with the cord included with the tablet stand.

- The kickstand is an added bonus. It made it easier to angle the screen as I typed.

My main issue with this tablet stand is that my tablet would not fit the tablet stand properly. And, it was recommended for my tablet’s brand specifically. My tablet would not stay put and would slide right out. My tekky-grown son solved this problem by attaching Velcro strips to the back of my tablet and to the tablet stand (case) to keep the tablet in place.

This is my experience with the tablet stand.
review image
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 9, 2012
I have been looking for a keyboard to use with the Google Nexus 7 but they all seem to cost an arm and a leg. I jumped on this one when it only cost around $8.00 and have been satisfied so far.

The product arrived three days past the expected delivery date.

Nexus 7 fits snuggly into the case however it is tricky to get it in and out. The table sits on two "shelves" on the bottom and then a top piece (probably spring loaded) applies pressure securely holding the tablet in. However, pulling the top piece up enough to slide the table in can be tricky and getting the tablet back out again has the same problem. But I found this relatively minor.

To get the keyboard to work with the Google Nexus 7 you need one of these: eForCity Micro USB OTG to USB 2.0 Adapter They are cheap and will allow you to connect the keyboard to your Nexus 7. Also you can use this adapter to connect other USB drives or devices to your tablet which is a great option to extend the storage of your device. It also makes it very easy to move files between your tablet and other computers without having to use email, Google Drive, or Dropbox. You also might need a free app called StickMount (Android) to ensure your device registers the USB connection.

In addition, when you connect the Google Nexus 7, in the top left corner a little keyboard notification may appear, if you swipe down from there and select "Choose Input Method" you will be taken to a settings screen where you can select the keyboard device. It may appear as "Hardware: Physical Keyboard" or "CZW USB Keyboard". You will probably only have to do this once. The only other thing I struggled with briefly was I opened up a text document and then started typing but nothing happened. What I forgot to do was press in the text document so that a cursor appeared, after the cursor appeared I could typ normally.

The USB connection cord is very long and you should have no problem reaching the input port on your device no matter where it is. Just remember, this is a regular sized usb input (2.0) meaning, it will NOT fit in a micro USB slot. Look at your tablet now, if there is not a place to plug in a regular USB thumb drive then you will probably need some sort of adapter to make this work.

The product also includes a tiny stylus, however this stylus will not work on your Nexus 7, it will only work on tablets whose screens respond to pressure instead of the electrical signals in your hands. A good way to test which type of scree you have is to see if you can still use the touch screen with gloves on. If you can use your tablet with gloves on then your screen is pressure sensitive, if you can't then it is using electrical stimulation (aka capacitive touch).

There is also a kickstand that allows you to prop the tablet side up while you type, this appears to work fine.

The keyboard appears fully functional. It is cramped and will take some getting used too, but even with the adjustment it is still faster to type on than if you were just using the screens keyboard. The only real difficulty I had was with the right side of the keyboard since the majority of the extra buttons (i.e. not letter buttons) reside there making it a bit more cramped and difficult to hit the space bar with your right thumb or the shift key with your right pinkie.

All in all, it gets the job done and is excellent for the price. The keyboard is small and functional though I would say the case as a whole is a tad bulky. However, you are not going to find a cheaper tablet keyboard out there so if you would like to have one, or are curious about one, I'd say this is the product to get,
on September 20, 2012
I bought this for a Google Nexus 7 tablet and the keyboard itself is just fine. It has all of the keys you'd expect to see on a Windows PC, except the Windows logo key, including a few that I expect are as useless to an Android tablet as they are on a PC: PrtSC/SysReq, Pause/Break, etc. The stylus doesn't work on a modern capacitive touchscreen, but I imagine it only adds about a tenth of a cent to the cost.

The case is sturdy and ought to be able to protect a tablet pretty well. The negative side of this is that it is quite thick, 1 3/8". Personally I find the white stitching unattractive. The magnetic closure works well. My case did not have have another magnet on the back to hold the strap back as the notes for a customer picture indicated, so the strap can get in the way of the display when the case is open.

As others have noted, the Nexus 7 is too thin to be held securely by this case, and can easily slip out either side, but I found a great solution. I put a black "sticky pad" (sometimes called a dash mat) behind the tablet. This adds just the right amount of thickness, and eliminates any chance of sliding. Many eBay sellers carry sticky pads for about a dollar, and you can also find them in Amazon Marketplace for a little more.

To connect your tablet to the keyboard you'll need an OTG male microUSB to female USB adapter. (Why can't the keyboard have the right connector - do any tablets have a full-sized USB jack?) The adapter I bought through Amazon was NOT a good choice. It has two problems: it is hard to get a reliable electrical connection, and it requires that you mount the Nexus upside-down thus making the power and volume controls inaccessible. Be sure to check which side the cable leaves the right-angle microUSB connector so you can avoid this problem.
on August 23, 2012
It's hard to complain about something this cool and useful that I got for less than $10. I use it with my Nexus 7 (Google). It's a perfect fit. The top clamp stretches and retracts making it possible to get it in AND have a snug fit. (Although, I don't recommend this if you plan on taking your tablet out often. The fit is almost TOO snug to be trying to take it out). The case has a solid design, and the grips for the tablet also serve as a buffer between the screen and keyboard when the case is closed, so you don't have to worry about the keys scratching the screen. When I plugged it in it worked right away; no problems, no driver installation (NOTE: you MUST separately purchase an OTG USB adapter cable to connect this to most tablets). The stand that props it up doesn't have adjustable angles, but as long as you're sitting normally at a normal table, it's fine.

Downsides: 1) Keyboard is tiny. The shift keys are no bigger than the letters, so I'm constantly missing it. Also, punctuation buttons are not in their usual place compared to conventional keyboards. It definitely takes some getting used to. 2) The USB cord is pretty flimsy and I worry about how long it's going to hold up. It would also be nice if there was a better place to put it/store it; it just kinda dangles out most of the time. 3) The included stylus is useless. The tip is too thin to be detected by a touchscreen. 4) You can't leave it plugged in. Maybe it's just my Nexus 7, but I finally figured out that I can't let the tablet go to sleep with the keyboard still plugged in. If I do, it doesn't work correctly when I turn it back on. One time when I unplugged the keyboard during sleep mode, I had to reboot the tablet. Also, I was pretty disappointed to find out that it disables any as-you-type auto correct features. I use SwiftKey, which still remains active, but you have to manually touch the auto-correct suggestions. Otherwise, you're back to the constant deleting and retyping of conventional keyboards.

Overall, I like it and am keeping it, and you can't really complain about the price tag. But the typing experience is not that great.
on July 23, 2012
I am very sad.

Ok we have all seen it. the buy these three things together for a better deal, right. well I saw this with a pandigital 7 inch reader Pandigital R7T40WWHF1 eReader | White
ok here's the thing. the reader is too big to fit in the case and the reader will not recognize the keyboard. I plugged the keyboard in to my lap top and it works just fine so the keyboard is ok. It will not fit (the plug) on my android phone or my Ipod. it fits ( the plug only) on my old 10 inch android based pad. but again it will not recognize it. if there is a trick to getting it to be recognized by a device I have no idea what it is. as others have stated it comes with no documentation. but then really something like this should just be plug and play.
so I am at a loss, what do I do with it? its not broke and I was really looking forward to having a little "typewriter" to carry around easily.the only thing that even fits in the case is the Kindle and as it states it will not work with the Kindle.
So in summery I would have to say buyer beware. If you have a truly 7 inch reader -totally 7in not screen, with a standard or common mini USB port you may get this to work.then again maybe not.
If you CAN get it to work it is a cool little keyboard. I played with it a bit when I plugged it in to my lap top, and as a small keyboard goes it was responsive and felt pretty solid. the connected case seems fairly well made. good stitching and a solid feel. that's why it gets 2 starts. if it was usable I would give it 5 but since it is right now just a dust collector- well its lucky to get the 2.
on August 26, 2013
just wanted to update - the keyboard works great & it is good to have available if i choose to use it rather than on screen typing. it does protect the glass screen well. i found the old soft envelope cover from my old eepc & now slide the tablet inside this case then slide it inside the old envelope eepc case. that solves the problem of the tablet potentially sliding out. this protects the glass screen & always have the keyboard with me but i think it is a good idea to have a soft envelope to put the whole thing in since it slides out easily & could drop if you're not carefully paying attention when you take it out.

i've seen this advertised for a lot more money & would be upset if i paid a lot more for it. nice little keyboard that works with a usb adapter on my nexus. one of the keys is already missing though. it protects the tablet well inside a bag. keeps the glass from cracking. the concern i have with this is that it slides out of the sides very easily. the catch that hold the tablet in is flimsy. it has elastic & if i pull it over the other side of the case than snap the outer catch it holds more securely. the elastic easily pulls out too far & negates that benefit. you have to remember to very carefully remove it from the bag so it doesn't fall out of the sides when you pull it out. if you're distracted, you could easily drop the tablet when you take it out. for $6, it's not bad. you get what you pay for. i'd like to see this item secure the tablet in place better & have some protection on the sides to be a great product. if you see it advertised for any more that $6 - $7 - don't buy it.
on January 13, 2014
Purchased the 7" case for use with my 2013 Nexus 7 FHD tablet. The case and keyboard work OK with the tablet.

Physically this case is fairly bulky and oversized compared to the N7 and quadruples (or more) the thickness of the tablet while doubling the weight. The stand is sturdy and only flexes a bit when using the touchscreen. The universal clips are fixed on the bottom while the upper clip has an internal elastic band to hold the tablet down against the bottom tabs. A very simple arrangement, but it works. When layed out for use, the footprint will consume about 90% of an economy airline tray table, so despite the cramped nature of the keyboard, it isn't a tiny case.

I am pleased that this case fits the N7 even with the Fosmon TPU case installed, thus making it very simple to use or not as needed. In fact, I think the N7 fits much better in this case while using the fosmon. I would guess that most non-folio cases would work with this keyboard case, even fairly bulky ones as the case was designed for quite a bit larger tablet than the 2013 N7.

This keyboard requires a USB-OTG adapter to work with the N7, they are available for around $4. I wanted a wired keyboard since bluetooth is illegal on airplanes and I have never found a bluetooth keyboard that is as responsive as a wired keyboard. One nit to pick is that the USB cable is quite flimsy yet terminates in a bulky USB-B plug. The plug gets in the way when closing the case, so there is always a bit of fiddling required.

My case came with a really chintzy small nylon plastic stylus about 4" in length. The stylus does not work with my Nexus 7. I suspect the stylus was intended for use with a resistive touchscreen, for example maybe an old Palm Pilot, but it doesn't work with capacitive touchscreens on modern phones or tablets.

The keyboard is quite cramped, but the keys are generally where I expect them to be. I'm typing about 1/3 as fast as on a normal PC keyboard after 10 minute's practice, so that seems decent. The keys are very flat and wobble some when touched, and the edge of the case interferes with hitting the space bar, so overall, typing on this keyboard is a fairly uncomfortable experience. I can't touch-type on it exactly, but I find that I am using 2-3 fingers on each hand, so definitely better than a touchscreen. It would be fine for vacation correspondance and writing a few Amazon reviews, but it isn't a good choice for writing the great American novel or programming the next Facebook. I haven't exercised all the keys, but the only ones I've found not to work are Home and End, though PgUp and PgDn do work.

If you are an old computer geek such as myself, typing on this keyboard might remind you of typing on a 1980s Timex Sinclair ZX81 PC, but honestly this keyboard is a bit less agonizing.

In conclusion, I suspect that this review will be the longest continuous composition I will ever perform using this keyboard, but even so, I feel that I've gotten my money's worth. I suspect that I'll happily watch many TV shows and movies using the case/stand while the keyboard mostly sits idle.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse