Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 11-20 of 2,808 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,198 reviews
:: Update I bring this book to work and scan it on quick mental health break. I'm amazed at the men and women I work with who walk but pick it up and ask if they can look at it. 20 minutes later the same man or woman is still reading it. This book engages hikers, campers, deep woods campers (me) of the grid folks me, and I'm surprised at the amount of women who want to order a copy.

Order one for yourself and your wife, girlfriend, son, daughter, because someone is going to pick it up and borrow it. Solid 5 Stars!

Original Review: This book is the best small EDC and Every Day Read on practical outdoor tips on the market. It is the gold standard for living and enjoying the outdoors. Simplicity at it's very best!
This is a fantastic book. I want to try some of the stuff I've learned here regarding surviving in the bush during my summer hiking trips. Hopefully it is out of curiosity and not out of necessity due to an emergency! Now, why did I buy this? We live in a very, very fragile society. Most people do not know this but grocery stores only have about 3-days worth of food stocked on their shelves meaning that if those semi-truck and trains were to stop coming just about every town in the good old U.S.A. would be out of food after a 3-day weekend. This book gives some tips on how to survive in the bush, very true, but it also teaches one how to simply survive. Something that nearly all American's have forgotten how to do with our everyday reliance on Starbucks, McDonalds, and Walmart.

Highly recommended for anyone that goes rough country extended hiking and camping (real camping not that RV "stuff"), hunting, and/or just wants to be prepared if the lights go out. :)
on May 18, 2017
I really cant say enough about this book. It really should be considered the Bible of survival. It has everything you need to know , starting with basic knowledge. Prepping your B.O.B , mental preparedness. Then gets into more in depth stuff like identifying poisonous plants and animals on land , sea and sky. Then eatable plants and animals and Medicinal plants . How to track animals for water. How to acquire water and food. Trap setting , fire starting , animal tracking , self defense , signaling for help , how to use the jetstream when stranded at sea , emergency medical , child birth , evacing injured comrades and casualties , urban survival , how to survive natural disasters , rope tying and tons more. Essentially if you need it to survive , its in this book.
on January 27, 2017
Great content but you better have eagle vision because the text is very small. I realize it's packable but I like to read a book before I head out not wait for trouble and have to sort through a micro book. In my opinion a slightly larger book would be nice and a pack of laminated cards with emergency and survival info would be better.
VINE VOICEon September 1, 2010
I already reviewed positively the full sized book. Only thing I would add here is that it is the same content, but packed into a tiny size so you can take it with you anywhere. I have one in my car, and another copy for when I travel.

This is the type of book that comes in handy when you are dealing with an emergency far from civilization, or when emergency services can't respond. Very comprehensive, yet easy to carry and keep with you.
on February 28, 2016
This book is small and compact and great on the go, but they're some things that doesn't go much in to detail such as sharpening a knife or showing much illustration of skinning different types of animals or what is their nature towards people also some things are kinda scrambled such as the suturing knot is in the knot section instead of the medical section (that would of been helpful.) and not much illustration on the suturing part either. Also this book is U.K English, not U.S English, so try to learn on some U.K vocab if you're don't know the definition of "torch" in their type of English. The bashing a rock on a knife to split wood is a bad idea.

Enough about the cons here are the pros. This book does contain a lot of useful content to being prepared on what situation you're in. This book also tells you on things that are necessary on what situation and on what type of climate. it's also easy to read (recommend to get reading glasses if you have trouble reading small print) and has some pretty interesting illustration. I do recommend this book to beginner's to survival or "bushcraft" and goes the same to experts.
on May 7, 2015
There is a lot of information to digest, even practice. There are a lot of photos, even some color photos when it comes to plants, fungi and dangerous animals/insects. The book covers more than one area of the world and helps a person prepare for long term survival (think "Wilson!").For example, as someone who needs practice making fire, I thought that there should have been more information on fire making; however, there is plenty of information of types of fire (windshields, making fires in the snow, etc). Vaseline makes for great inexpensive "fuel" to tinder (Douse cotton balls/paper - something that I learned from the web, not the book). This is a book that I got way more than what I paid for, and with his SAS expertise, something that can continue to learn from and improve in skills needed for emergencies in the wild (what I intended to buy this book for).
on April 17, 2017
I've heard others complain how small this book is, and I agree it IS small. But I think that is the point, it is pocket sized and portable, and packs a lot of punch. It is thick too, packed with many topics and full color illustrations and pics, I think this may be the most trustworthy survival guide out there. Topics include essential gear, identification of wild food sources (with lots of color illustrations for identification), traps, weapons, camp craft and many other subjects. It is a small goldmine of information. I'll update as i read through it and try some of the stuff discussed. I highly recommend this book, not only for its content, but because of its size - this will fit in your pocket when you need it most.
review image review image
on October 10, 2016
This little book is filled for useful information on what to eat, not to eat, what insects or animals are poison or not, and many other useful bits of information. There are diagrams and color pictures as well as having descriptive details. It is a handy guide for the novice and great reference for the pro outdoorsman.
on March 15, 2017
This little guy is slightly larger and only a bit heavier than the renowned altoids tin, but has everything in it that could save your life, and you can't put that in a tin. Wiseman is clear and concise, gives us the why's as well as the how's. I'm a buscrafter, not a survivalist, and this book stays in reach when I'm at home in case I think of something I want info about, and it lives in my edc pack when I walk out the door. If you spend any length of time outside, you should be aware by now that stuff can and will go wrong, and sometimes it could be catastrophic. Wise man's got you covered. I strongly recommend this small book as a life saver.