Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Carters Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on June 3, 2014
So, I bought this to replace the DVD drive in my Dell Precision M8400. It worked, but not before I had to make a quick switch.

When I first installed it, the computer ran WAY slow. Something just wasn't right., so I started wondering if I wasn't suffering from a similar issue as Steve325 described. I was about to take the thing apart and attempt the "3rd pin mod" as he described when I noticed a small little dip switch on the left rear side of the caddy. So, I flipped the switch and re-installed the drive, and boom! Everything sped back up and worked perfectly.

Note that there is absolutely no mention of the switch anywhere on the packaging. It's my suspicion that the switch either connects or disconnects that 3rd pin and I'm wondering if Steve 325's caddy had the switch or not.

So, lesson learned. If you install this caddy in your machine and it isn't working right, look around for a small dip switch. I don't know if all of these caddys are like mine or not, but if the switch is there, try flipping it and re-installing the drive. Mine worked a treat after I did.

Footnote: If I can figure out how, I'll upload pictures of the switch on my caddy as I took a few before I re-installed it.
review imagereview image
33 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on September 20, 2016
It worked in my Acer E5-573G. I upgraded my main HDD to solid state but didn't want to lose the storage capacity. I had to remove the back cover to get it to connect into the SATA connector properly, and the instructions said something about a drive latch that wasn't on my model. I used a couple strips of 1/16" double stick tape to secure and cushion the drive. I also took 2 strips and folded them over, then put them between the rear of the drive and the frame of the caddy to secure the drive onto the drive facing connector. That worked pretty well, and I'm confident the drive and caddy will stay in place.

The bay leaves a half-inch of space in my case, but I don't mind that much. The caddy is pretty cheaply constructed, just a bit of plastic and some super thin aluminum, but the connector itself (the vital bit) is pretty good. About what you can expect for around 10 bucks. All in all I'm satisfied, though it wasn't as "easy install" as advertised. What can you expect from "universal" though? The fact that it worked at all was impressive, especially for the price. Took a 1 TB drive without any problems.

A nice (and pretty amusing) touch is the trim looks like a DVD drive, including fake buttons and the DVD/Blu-Ray certification. Not sure if they reused trim or are trying to trick data thieves lol
on December 14, 2013
I got this to mount the original HDD that came with my Asus laptop because I wanted my main drive to be an SSD, but also wanted to keep the hard drive that came with the laptop as a large storage drive, and keep the whole thing internal. I use the optical drive once in a great moon these days so this seemed to be a good alternative, if a bit scary because I had no idea if it would work.

First check the sizes: there are two standards (at least as of this writing), a 9.5mm (this) and a 12.5mm (other thickness). Check your laptop first! The Asus N550JV has a 9.5mm optical drive tray, so this HDD caddy replaces that.

As I found out, you will likely need a good precision screwdriver to be able to mount the unit, even if there is a phillips screwdriver included in this kit. The reason is not the kit, it's the laptop that you need to take apart. My laptop has what I would call non-standard screw (Asus decided to use Torx T5 size screws everywhere instead of Phillips - go figure) so make sure you have the screwdriver you need to mount the caddy first.

With the screw issue out of the way, the install was a snap, the caddy fits perfectly and comes pre-drilled or slotted for the original mount. No problem attaching the original HDD drive (the caddy has four screws pre-installed, you need to unscrew them before mounting the drive, then screw them back-in).

Was able to attach the rear retention bracket that was on my optical drive, or attaching the front bezel to the HDD caddy - the fit is perfect. Just be careful with the bezel because the plastic clips holding it together look very fragile.

Product works exactly as advertised.

EM
6 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on January 17, 2017
(SKIP TO END FOR QUICK AND LESS DETAILED VERDICT)
DETAILED ANALYSIS: Because of complaints in other reviews, I am reluctant to give this more than 3 stars. Personally, it worked fine and was simple to install. The caddy actually fits exceptionally well in my laptop (ACER Aspire V3-572G), and the connection into the optical drive port is quite secure. There have never been any problems relating to the actual product (Maybe I was lucky with my laptop model?). I did have trouble with system configuration and boot problems but it wasn't the source of it wasn't from the product hardware. If you are considering purchasing this product for a dual drive PC, be wary of boot configuration, operating system updates (updates may be confused when there are two drives), hard drive size, and laptop ergonomics. The caddy lacks a method for attaching the outer plate to covering drive so you may want to keep your CD Drive's outer plate and somehow attach it to the caddy to maintain the laptop's hardware enclosure.

PROS:
Solid Build - Snug fit in Acer laptop; (MAY VARY FOR OTHER MAKES AND MODELS)
Stands Test of Time - Has worked in a college student's primary laptop/computer for over 1.5 years; Once you get it to work it should be fine

CONS:
Compatibility & Consistency - It worked fine with my laptop however others had problems
Ergonomics - *IMPORTANT* (See Photos) The caddy does not have outer coverage nor a way to install a physical outer barrier; You NEED to consider how you will cover

FINAL VERDICT: Dual drives is awesome and extremely efficient. Be wary of your laptop model and make and its compatibility with this product. Also consider how you will cover the drive with a missing outer plate because the caddy will be visible from the outside. I'd recommend if you have an Acer laptop, which is what I installed this product with.
review image
on November 16, 2016
Absolutely perfect. I bought it to replace my DVD-ROM on a Asus G752VY and it fits absolutely perfect. The bezel fits perfect, the drive fits perfect, it fit back in the laptop perfect. It really could not be more perfect. I thought I might have to adjust the little L bracket that holds the drive in the laptop, but nope... again, perfect. I'm a bit of a perfectionist about eye sores and things that are not perfect (at least as far as my computers are concerned). So, I could not be happier with this and how it looks in my ASUS. Performance is as expected too. Now, the only thing to test is reliability...

One more thing... careful taking your bezel off. I wish I'd taken a picture, but you'll see a little tab on one side you need to push up on (with a small screwdriver) and then the bezel will rotate away from where that tab was attached until the bezel just comes off. Put your bezel on in the reverse order. In other words, it's hooked differently on the one side than it is on the other and you only need to unhook it (with a tool) on one side.
review imagereview imagereview image
on April 14, 2016
I got this for my ROG G751 to replace the DVD drive. HDD caddies are now the most useful upgrade accessory for laptops since DVD drives are getting obsolete. Even the most expensive laptops provide only 1-1.5TB of storage, but this allowed me to add 2TB more, the biggest storage as of now for any 2.5inch drive.

This is one of the most affordable ones and it shows why. It is slightly bigger than 9.5mm so it's a really tight fit. The holes at the side do not line up well with that of the HDD so the not all of the 4 screws fit right. The crucial ones are located along the flap and need to be screwed in more to avoid snagging on the chassis. The other 2 at the opposite side just help secure the drive but aren't necessary. The small screwdriver that came with it is too fragile and will ruin the screws if used, better use your own. Oh and make sure the switch is at the right position, toward the middle of the caddy (see attached picture), to avoid shutdown / startup problems.

I did not have a chance to try other more expensive ones because they all looked the same and may have the same issues. Despite the minor imperfections, it does what its supposed to do and the bezel fits perfectly. No problems so far for almost 6 months now. Highly recommended.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
9 people found this helpful
on May 24, 2017
I very rarely write reviews, but this product deserved one. I installed this into a Asus X555 to increase the internally memory. I was very impressed with how well this mated up with the factory brackets and face plate.

Simply transferring the factory bracket over to the corresponding holes on the enclosure allowed me to put the retaining screw back in. I was also able to unclip the faceplate from the cd-rom and was very surprised to find that this enclosure had the clip holes ready to go. It just clipped in and looks 100% stock.

Worked great for my application, I was hesitant to purchase based on some of the reviews saying there was no way to secure it, but it works great!
on April 26, 2018
I had bought one similar to this one on ebay a couple years ago and it died a few days ago. I plugged in my hard drive into this unit and secured that hard drive with the tool by turning the screws on the bottom side of the unit. It was easy to plug into my hp 17" laptop and my laptop started right up reading the hard drive and life was good again. I highly recommend this unit and I will be picking up another one to have as a backup in case this one dies in the near future.
on March 5, 2014
Purchased this to add a second hard drive to my new laptop. Decided to purchase this so that I could run the OS on a SSD and still have a separate drive for my data on a laptop. I have a Hewlett Packard Pavilion 17 Notebook (e049wm). Installation was fairly easy, but there are some things that could be better.

Here is my list of various points about this caddy:

You will most likely need to remove a small retaining clip off of your old drive and install on to this caddy. If not the only thing that will keep the caddy in place (at least on my laptop) will be the friction in the SATA connection.

There we no holes drilled for mounting the hard drive/SSD. This makes no sense to me and was a pain to have to do. Products should come finished, I shouldn't have to drill holes to mount my drive when this is the sole purpose of this item.

Some people may have an issue where the laptop won't reboot or shutdown after installing this. This is due to the Diagnostic SATA pin being connected to a ground signal. If you can operate a screwdriver, you should be able to fix this if you run in to this issue. It's a very easy process. All you need to do is remove one of the pins on the SATA connector. Head over to this page for all the info: [...]

There is no way to attach a bezel to it. It's completely flat. I'm going to see what I can do about attaching mine but I will have to permanently alter my original bezel to do it and that kind of sucks.

I'm not sure, but it seems like there is an issue using this with a Hybrid hard drive. I have a 1 TB Seagate Hybrid drive that I purchased just before this adapter and I get absolutely HORRIBLE transfer rates when I try to use it. But a normal hard drive works fine in it and if I use the TB drive as a usb, it's fine.

Overall I'm fairly happy with this, but I can see that some things might cause other people to have issues. I wish that we could give half stars on Amazon for reviews, but we can't. I would give this 3 1/2 stars for the various issues I listed but feel it's still a pretty good product.
on May 9, 2014
I replaced the primary hard disk on two of my laptops (HP HDX 16 and HP elite book 2540p) with SSD drives. That was a separate project.

The SSD drives were 120GB and 80GB respectively. This is only good for installing OS (Windows 8), and programs (Office etc)

For my data, I decided to remove the CD/DVD ROM drive and use this caddy to install a secondary hard disk (1 Terra Byte capacity - bought separately)

Note that this is a 9.5.mm height caddy for my 2540p Laptop. For the HDX 16 (larger Laptop) I got a 12.7 MM Height caddy. You remove the face plate from the CD/DVD ROM drive and fit it on this caddy. Plug in and secure the Hard disk with screws, insert the caddy into the CD-ROM drive slot and secure it at the back with a screw.

Power up and I have a blazing fast laptop with a one Terra Byte disk space.!!!

I bought two SANOXY® Slim external USB 2.0 Black CD/DVD Burner Enclosure case For Laptop to encloses for the CD/DVD ROM drives that I extracted from the Laptops, and now I have two external USB CD/DVD ROM drive for those rare occasions that I need to use it (like installing some new software etc)

Mission accomplished!!!