Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch $5 Digital Albums Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Wonder Woman now available on Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,379 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,878 reviews
on July 21, 2015
We love Kate DiCamillo books. Our first ones were the Mercy Watson books and Leroy Ninker... I remember back when the movie came out (which I haven't seen), not realizing it was based on a book. The book reviews were so good, we knew we had to try it, and did not disappoint.

The story is told in first person by the protagonist, Opal. She's just moved Florida with her dad (whom she refers to as "the preacher" more than "my dad" when talking about him). Her mom isn't in the picture, and although we don't know her present situation, her absence is poignantly addressed, and we do learn some things about her. Opal and the preacher live in a trailer park, and he has set up his new church in an erstwhile convenience store. Opal's pretty lonely in her new town and is finding it hard to make friends. The book begins with her finding a mutt who's causing a ruckus in a Winn-Dixie. Not wanting the dog to get in trouble by the store manager, she pretends he is hers, claims that his name is the same as the store's, and brings him home and convinces her dad to keep him. Different things involving Winn-Dixie spark new opportunities and friendships for Opal.

I found Opal to be likeable and realistic. I loved how DiCamillo developed this character's emotions over time.

My almost-8-year-old son really liked the book. We read it together as a bedtime story, 1-3 chapters a night. I really liked the ending, but my husband and son weren't satisfied and felt like the story was meant to continue. Unlike some age-appropriate chapter books, this was one I could get into.
on January 2, 2016
What a journey! A masterfully written book for ALL to enjoy! It is an easy read for pre-teen plus, but is a quick read that speaks to all ages (3-103). A book that helps each of us to look at how we treat the people we encounter in life through the scope of Edward Tulane's "life", a well-loved toy thrown out of his charmed life into a journey of self discovery. Like many journeys in life, given the choice upfront, we may not have chosen them, but we come out better for it in the end. A notion that so many people have lost sight of. There is profound beauty in experiencing ALL the moments of life ... the good, the bad and the ugly. Kate DiCamillo has given us a classic to be enjoyed by all, especially families trying to raise their children with an understanding of "what is the point of enduring the difficulties of life?". We can see that we have a choice. We can choose to be made BETTER by them or BITTER, and both sides all well- demonstrated in this rich, mutli-layered tale for all to enjoy!
on December 17, 2016
My daughter's teacher read to the children in class. I bought it at the teacher and my daughter's recommendation. I love how the story progresses with more emotions each time as the rabbit learns to love. The latter part of the story was quite sad. It's a good way to discuss loss of love ones if you read with your child.
on December 24, 2015
I'm a huge fan of this book! Kate DiCamillo is one of my current favorite children's book authors. I've read almost all of her books and plan to read every single one. My niece and nephew love them all. I did not think the content of this book was too much. I read it w/ a mature 9 year old girl. Yes there are themes of death/dying and neglect. But the majority of kids stories have those on some level. I think it depends on the child. I would highly recommend this - great storytelling.
on September 9, 2016
Good story. Saw the book in a Korean drama, my love from another star. Caught my interest. Very interesting read. Good for children and adults for both casual and for learning a lesson. Book came in the mail in excellent condition. New book. No scratches/marks or sign of use. Had the new book smell which is a plus
on March 1, 2016
This was a wonderful story. What surprises me is that my 10 year old grandson recommended it to me. He read it from the library and asked for his own personal copy for his birthday. So if a ten year old boy likes it, it's got to be good! The main character is a china bunny who doesn't know what love is until his girl loses him and he encounters other people who show him, each in their own way. There are sad parts which touch your heart and I'll let you all find out what happens in the end.
on October 10, 2016
I love Kate DiCamillo and Edward Tulane is my favorite. It is a beautiful and moving story about learning to love even through hurt and loss. She is an amazing writer. I read this out loud with my 10 year old son. My 15 year old daughter overheard and wanted to join us. Edward's miraculous journey is so very beautiful and human. Highly recommend.
on March 30, 2016
My wife and I are big fans of Kate DiCamilo...(we are 66 lol). I read to my wife nightly before we turn out the lights. This author is our fave but Edward Tullane was our fave of faves ...In fact I have gone back and read the last two pages several times as it is one of the most touching endings to a book...ever! We are looking forward to her new book in April. Can't wait to see what she has written! Kate thank you!!
on September 15, 2014
Review written by a 9 yo kid who loves all Kate DiCamillo's books: "This book is about a china rabbit who does not know how to love. He lives on Egypt Street with a young girl called Abeline. Edward is spoiled by Abeline. So spoiled that he gets everything that he could dream of and he never gives anything back not even...love. One day, Abiline leaves to London taking Edward with her on a ship called "Queen Mary". Soon after they board, Edward is thrown overboard by two mean boys who steal Edward from Abeline. Edward begins to drawn untill he reaches the bottom of the sea. After several years, there comes a big wave. The wave was big enough to lift Edward up and take him to the shore. From that day on, he begins to have emotions, feel appreciative and grateful to be alive.
Edward meets many new friends and one by one he begins to love them. But no one was his true owner. After many years of changing owners Edward meets the end of the cycle. I am not going to tell the end of the story and I think that you will love it and will be surprised with the unexpected ending. The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo, is an extraordinary, magical story but it is a book that can have a bit of a troubled plot for younger kids so I suggest you read it with an adult if you are younger than eight." review by 9yo kid from Isabela's Book Nook blog (isabelasbooknook.com), a blog for kids books review.
on August 15, 2016
My 5th grader (a boy) was so impressed with this book that he read at school that he actually requested that I read it so that we could discuss it. This was a first, so I did. It's a very touching story about a rabbit with some hard lessons to learn. A quick and easy ready, but with some heavy lessons. Great book.