Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals HPC Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

on April 1, 2016
Hello, MalakJoe and family here with another product review:

What we use it for: I needed a simple DVD player (with HDMI output) for a youth room at church. I specifically didn't want it to have any built in internet apps. Basic is what I wanted and basic is what I got!

What you need to know: It plays DVDs well and uses HDMI. This is good. For some reason, however, they chose to use a standard 4:3 aspect ratio NON-HD title and menu screens. So, it looks even cheaper until you get the disc playing. If that's important to you -- there you go.

Pros:
CHEAP.
Plays DVDs
HDMI output

Cons:
Doesn't play blu-ray (but you knew that already)
No built in Internet Apps (this was a pro for me, but maybe a con for others.)

Thanks for reading our review!
0Comment| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Top Contributor: Bakingon March 21, 2013
Small footprint, basic operation, easy set up - - 5 minute hook up - - - plug into outlet, connect hdmi from player to tv - - - that's it.

Plays all NTSC (US formatted) dvds (+,-,rw, etc),with no problems. No skipping, lag, or freezing up. It also has a basic random/shuffle option for CD's.

I also like that although it comes with a remote, there are also control buttons on the unit itself. This is just a laziness issue, but if you walk over to the player to retrieve or insert a disc without having the remote in hand, you can still operate the basic functions of the player without having to go back and get the remote.

Note that this also has usb port in front for flash drives but realize that it will not read a large capacity external hard drive - - - just smaller capacity flash (thumb) drives. I've watched avi and mp4 downloads perfectly. Haven't tried any other formats, but assume at least, that m4v would work as well.

I didn't need it to play dvd's from overseas, but if this is a consideration for you, note that the specs do not show that it plays PAL formatted dvds.

Also note that although it comes with audio/video cables and a remote, it does not include batteries (for the remote) or an hdmi cable. Small issue especially considering the price, but just something to know ahead of time so you'll have these on hand when you're ready to hook it up and not have to make a special trip out to get them.

Very, very happy with this purchase. I initially bought one for our flat screen, but was so pleased with it and the price, I bought a second one for our older model tv that is in our exercise room. No hdmi on that older model tv, but hook up was just as easy with the included audio/video cables.

Highly recommend this for anyone wanting a basic dvd player.
44 comments| 149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 29, 2016
I returned the first of these that I purchased through my square trade warranty thinking it was just a fluke. However, the replacement model only worked for a month or so before it stopped reading discs. I will not buy this product, and probably any product by this manufacturer again.
on June 26, 2017
Okay - finally someone answered the phone after being on a wait to answer at Beach Camera, not interested in being able to help me at all - offered me money for the defective remote. I told her I didn't want money, I wanted a remote that works. Although they're selling defective merchandise, they are "unable to replace the remote" and referred me to an 800 number to call the manufacturer, Sylvania, and that number turned out to be their lighting department!!!!. Beach Camera doesn't even stand by the product they sell, how about that.
22 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 11, 2017
DVD player works fine. I did have a problem with the remote but for the price, it was not worth it going through the trouble of me pulling the cables back out of the cable tray for a return. I just bought a cheap universal remote and all is good.
on January 2, 2018
Sylvania doesn't honor warranty. I purchased this 5 months ago, but haven't had the chance to take it out of the box until now. Tried to use it but remote didn't work. Called return center, and agent said they would ship me a new remote. Just got an email telling me the item is no longer under warranty. Won't buy Sylvania again if they won't warranty their product for at least 6 months.
on July 7, 2017
The DVD player, plays just fine. However the remote control I received with this DVD player didn't work! I tried several different battery brands and it doesn't work at all. Now if you want to fast forward or rewind, YOU CAN'T! I've paused a movie for more than 30 minutes and when I returned to press play, it had automatically turned the movie off. Meaning I could NOT fast forward to the part I had left off at. Without a remote, this sucks. I'll contact the seller update my review once I have a working control. DVD player itself is fine.
on June 30, 2013
When I received this item I plugged it in to an outlet and it wouldn't power on I got nothing, I tried a different outlet and still nothing I was so upset that I hit the side of it with my hand and it suddenly powered up. I guess it is VERY sensitive but since it did light up I figured I would try it out. After connecting it to my Sound System and TV I connected a Flash Drive to the USB Port which was what I REALLY wanted it for in the first place. A list of all my CD's that I had downloaded appeared on the TV screen. I was able to choose the CD I wanted to listen to and hit play the music sounded good and it worked well at this point. The issue I have though is while the music is playing if your watching the screen in the bottom left corner the words Title: Author: Copyright: and Description: keeps flashing on and off!!! It get's pretty annoying after a while and I couldn't figure out A way to make it stop I tried everything including the ON SCREEN DISPLAY button etc... Other than that it did work and I was able to listen to my music. Just can't sit and watch the screen or it will drive me crazy!!
on July 6, 2017
It might be a fine DVD player for regular, store bought DVDs.... but so far it hasn't even played one video off my jump drive (regardless of format) and I haven't had any luck with burnt DVD's either. Bought this thing to play DVDs we make to loop on a screen, but it's pretty useless for that and overall seems poor quality (but then again, it was cheap).
on January 4, 2018
I had it for only 4-5 months and it quit reading the dvds. I tried everything possible. By that time it was too late to return it. Amazon themselves did make it right by giving me a credit though.