“A marvelously engrossing account of the military operation that resulted in the death of Osama bin Laden...Richly told in broad, cinematic strokes, this is catnip for readers who enjoy special-ops tales.” ―Kirkus Reviews (starred review)
“The book is more than just a high-adventure black ops thriller. It is a work of historical importance that sets the record straight about our struggle against forces dedicated to rebuilding an Islamic caliphate in the Middle East... It is a book you will read as you walk on the sidewalk because you do not want the action to stop.” ―Neil W. McCabe, Human Events
“Pfarrer certainly had access. A SEAL Team Six assault-element commander in the 1980s, he is known inside the intelligence community for his well-regarded first book, Warrior Soul...He clearly had detailed conversations with senior officers in the SEALs' chain of command (especially Adm. William McRaven and then–SEAL Team Six commander Scott Kerr) and understands the vocabulary and the culture very well...SEAL Target Geronimo explodes a number of media myths about the raid to kill bin Laden...There was no "45-minute" running gun battle. The SEAL team fired only 12 bullets, and the whole operation lasted only 38 minutes...The most provocative part of the book is pure speculation: by killing bin Laden, did the SEALs accidentally do Zawahiri's dirty work?... As the British Foreign Office used to famously say: 'Interesting, if true.'” ―Richard Miniter, The Daily Beast
“Chuck Pfarrer writes with the brilliant eye of a novelist and the real-world authority of a soldier who has fought in the world's most mysterious corners. He's not only a poet and soldier, but also a deeply read historian. Pfarrer has written a true page-turner about the inside story of Operation Neptune's Spear. There is enough action here, enough human drama, enough fascinating history, to keep you reading until dawn--you simply have to know what happens next. SEAL Target Geronimo is first-rate storytelling. It's an amazing story, written about a world no one knows better than Chuck Pfarrer himself.” ―Doug Stanton, author of In Harm's Way and Horse Soldiers
From the Author
NEW IN THE PAPERBACK EDITION
Three new chapters of Information from newly declassified documents captured in the raid as well as a blockbuster independent investigation conducted by Pakistani Brigadeer General (Ret) Shukat Qadir, who interviewed military and ISI personnel as well as debriefing eyewitness and undertaking a guided tour of the bin Laden residence hours after the raid.
The new chapters include detailed information on:
- OBL's exact locations for the ten years he was on the run in Pakistan
- The locations of Ayman Zawahiri and Mullah Omar.
- An analysis of declassified papers taken by ST6 from Abbottabad
- Al Qaeda's planned attack on the Pakistani nuclear weapons facility at Kahuta
- Al Qaeda's plan to use poison gas in Yemen (from a letter dated six days before OBL's death)
- Information taken from an independent Pakistani investigation of the raid to include previously unknown details of CIA's pre mission reconnaissance
- The code name of Dr. Shekel Afridi's CIA controller and details about the "Hepatitis Screening Program" that eventually located OBL
- New details about Al Qaeda's kidnapping of an Iranian diplomat to trade for Khairee bin Laden (Wife #1) who was being held in Tehran
- Details of OBLs detailed planning for the transfer of his wife after the prisoner exchange with the Iranians.
- New details on CIA's phone call to the compound two nights before the raid
- Information obtained during Pakistan's nearly year long interrogation of OBL's surviving wives and children
- Information from the Pakistani first responders who entered the compound only minutes after the helicopters had left.
- Connecting the dots on who the US closed in after the arrival of Khairee bin Laden, as well as the capture of Bali Bomber Umer Patik in Abbottabad a mere four months prior to the raid
- Eye witness testimony about the raid from OBL's widows and Children, as well as Pakistani neighbors who saw the entire raid.
- Confirmation from eye witnesses who saw the helicopter crash in the middle of the operation and not at the beginning.
- Details about Pakistani fighters who were scrambled and nearly shot down the US helicopters as they retreated.
- More details about the "special access granted to Boal and Bigelow--confirmed by Freedom of Information Act requests that show DoD and WH emails confirming that the two SONY Studios filmmakers were give the names of ST6 operators unlawfully.