Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Shark Bagless Cyclonic Hand Vac (V15Z)
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

on May 21, 2013
Updated February 2016, I am still using this powerful vacuum cleaner 5 years later. I keep the HEPA filter cleaned after every use. This is the most important step for a happy vac. I take the HEPA filter outside and tap it on a tree so the minute dust stays outside. Tap it on all sides so the dust falls away. The filter will look dirty but keep tapping away. You can also use a dry toothbrush to clean it gently, but I prefer tapping on a tree.

I LOVE this vacuum cleaner. I have been using mine for about a year now. For you people fussing about belts and filters, you have to STOP and unclog the roller brush if you have jammed it up or the belt will break. I have never jammed up the roller brush. As with any vac with a roller brush, you have to CLEAN it now and then. You also have to be careful what you run the beater brush over! You can use the handheld brush tool or crevice tool to pick up the big junk on the carpet before you run over it with the beater brush.

HEPA filters catch all the teeny tiny micro dust and this is HEAVEN on earth but YES it will clog if you don't clean it out OFTEN. I live in a motorhome with both carpet and vinyl floors and a dog plus the upholstered furniture. I tap-clean my HEPA filter vigorously after EVERY use. That frees up the filter to do some serious dirt removal next time I vacuum.

If you skip this step you will overheat the motor. It says so in the manual. If it overheats, then you need to thoroughly clean the vacuum. Then it will restart and work like a charm.

My vac has never once overheated. It does have powerful suction. But I keep my HEPA filter cleaned after every use.

I have used mine on carpets, vinyl floors, the chairs, sofa, dinette, the bed, the pillows. Yes I vacuumed my big sofa pillows and oh my gosh, the dirt that came out of them was amazing!

I have a mattress topper that was all crumpled up and lumpy. I ran the beater brush vacuum over it and the lumps smoothed right out, it fluffed up and looked all new again besides removing an embarrassing amount of dust.

The vac is easy to store and I live in a small motorhome. This is the perfect vacuum cleaner for my needs. I am super happy with it.

Best of all, I like that when I am done, I can SEE (when I empty it and clean the HEPA) that I removed a load of dirt and dust from my wheel estate.
44 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2011
This is a monstrosity. The suction is weak and it overheats after five minutes of use. Trying to empty the canister is a pain. the decibel level is ungodly despite it's soft-suck performance. Little pieces of cookie crumbs feel safe and secure on my floor when this blue basterd approaches. For they know, their minuscule weight is still too heavy for the mighty Shark: The Pride of Wal-Mart. Mine didn't even come with the crevice tool even though it said it was included on the box. The vacuum itself is heavy and the detachable hose is about one foot long. It feels like I am trying to vacuum the stairs with a baby elephant or a well endowed midget. Garbage, garbage, garbage! I rue the day I bought this piece of junk! God save us all!
88 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 29, 2013
We bought the Shark Handheld Vacuum for my daughter's dorm room. The belt broke, so I brought it home to fix it. Lousy customer support, but I found that a replacement belt for a handheld Dustbuster is exactly the same size. So don't buy an overpriced belt from the manufacturer. Just buy a Dustbuster belt of Amazon or from vacbelts.com. To replace the belt, you don't need to take apart the whole vacuum housing, although it may look like it. Just unsnap the cover that slides over the beater brush when the hose is in use. Under the cover on one of the ends, you will find a screw. Unscrew that one, as well as the screw that holds the adjaent wheel on. Then you will be able to loop the belt over the beater brush. Put it all back together and then loop the other end of the belt over the shaft from the motor (which is underneath the gray cover with the "Shark" name imprinted on it. Before you snap the gray cover back on, test the belt to make sure the beater bar is rotating in the proper direction. If not, remove the belt from the motor shaft and give it a half twist in the other direction.

I tested the Shark handheld after vacuuming a rug with a Dyson upright (Animal model - purple). I was surprised how much dirt the Shark picked up that the Dyson did not. It has a powerful motor, but you must frequently clean the dust cup and more importantly, the chamber that holds the HEPA filter. Most of the dirt lodges in the filter chamber, not the dust cup, in my experience. It is essential that clean out the chamber and the dust cup after every use (sometimes more than once during the same job). The filter chamber has very little space in it and it fills up rapidly, especially since the Shark pick up so much hair and dirt. Make sure you keep the screen on the HEPA filter clean as well.

If there is a design flaw with this product, it is that the HEPA filter chamber is undersized for the motor and quickly fills up. Plus most of the dirt stays in the filter chamber and doesn't blow through to the dust cup. Tbis vacuum works well if you empty if after every use. If you don't, it will quickly fill up with dirt and overheat or burn out the belt because the beater bar will jam and stop turning. The dust cup and the HEPA filter are not hard to remove as long as you read the instructions. Any one who claims otherwise either didn't read the directions or is mechanically challenged.

If Shark had built in more space for the dirt and dust to accumulate, I would give this product a rating of five stars, but as is it only gets four.
on February 22, 2011
This was a powerful little vacuum for a week or so until the belt broke. The instruction manual doesn't even mention a belt, let alone show how to change one or get a replacement. Finally someone in India tried to explain it to me on the phone. It is not only complicated but the belts cost almost 1/3 what I paid for the unit. Also their website does not support it. In disgust I've tossed the unit.
on July 6, 2011
The beater bar clogs up with dirt and hair as any vacuum will. However, you have to take screws out to remove the bar and clean it. Had something jam in the belt and eventually burned up the belt after only about 2 months of use.

You can't buy this belt anywhere, except by calling customer support on the phone. Took the first one back to the store sans belt and got a new one. I guess I have to keep doing this until they start carrying the belts somewhere you can get them.

Sorry shark, you dropped the ball on this one big time. CS stated that they don't sell enough of the parts to stock them in stores. However, these things are flying off the shelves. But they are going to loose their market if they don't carry parts.

Next time make sure you can get parts before you buy.
on December 3, 2015
I purchased this vacuum from Walmart 7 years ago for over $45. Contrary to the rather negative online reviews, I have found it to be a well-made, rugged little performer. The power head makes all the difference in the world. I use it in our RV. I just purchased a second unit from Amazon for the home for $28, a bargain for this unit.

A couple of items to note:

1) It is a hand-held unit and as such, if you apply excessive weight on the powerhead (lean over and press down using your body weight), you will stress and possibly break the belt. This happened the first time I used the unit. It takes a standard Dirt Devil Style 1 replacement belt which you can easily find online. I have not had a belt breakage since.

2) It is a very efficient vacuum and needs to be cleaned after each use. Don't let the filter become too clogged with dust otherwise it will overheat.
on November 27, 2015
Probably the worst vacuum in vacuum history. I can't even vacuum the small landing at the top of my steps without it over heating. The suction is horrible. You're lucky if any dirt makes it into the dust cup. It gets trapped in the filter canister. I should use hearing protection when I vacuum with this thing. This thing is an ugly monster. The best place for it is the trash can. Spend a little extra money and get something different.
on December 25, 2010
I had this vac for 6 months and loved it. Then the belt broke and I can't find a replacement for it.
on May 9, 2015
I received the Shark hand vac in perfect shape and earlier than expected. However, I wish it had a larger container to catch the dust and normal gatherings for a vacuum. Seems like I have to stop frequently to empty. Maybe I just haven't gotten use to it yet. It does have plenty of suction. Maybe I need to get the attachment packet. This might change my rating.
on September 7, 2015
Bought this to clean up my "cubicle" at work. Compressed gas is great but the dust just lands somewhere else - like in my lungs. The dust balls under my desk, computer keyboard, personal fan, etc. - night clean-up crew can't do everything. Battery hand held vacs have no suction and battery dies and I spend more time cleaning the filter then vacuuming.

The 20 ft electrical cord is terrific. The hose is ridiculously short - if you stretch it out the vacuum flips on its side. After you extend the dusting brush the suction is minimal but I need to use the brush to clean out crevices. What's the point of the middle roller on the bottom? Who makes the design decisions? They OBVIOUSLY do not clean things. The first time I flipped the front cover over the roller, the plastic cover came off completely and now it does not fit correctly.

Shall I continue with cleaning out the filters? I wish these manufacturers would consult with real people.

PS) I currently own seven vacuums for different cleaning jobs. Oye Vey.