Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 663 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 783 reviews
on October 27, 2013
My old mechanical Singer finally broke after 15+ years (and would have probably lasted longer if I had maintenanced it).
1. I chose this over the ones with lots of programing, because I didn't want something that was going to break in a year or two. I had read that the less expensive programable ones tend to break easily. I mainly wanted a programable for the button holes (see below).
2. I read the reviews on this one and some say that the bobbin was hard to wind. This is true only if you follow the directions in the book. I tried those directions and wasted 2 spools of thread- there is NO way it will work like that. I asked a friend for help and here is what you do to wind the bobbin correctly: DO NOT put the tread through the silver loop marked #1.INSTEAD- pull the thread directly from the spool and bring it over to the silver thing that it tells you to wrap it around, but wrap the opposite way from the picture- wrap it like a J, the pull it up and around over to the bobbin area. It sounds confusing, but its simple- just a simple figure 8 directly from spool to bobbin, but make sure you wrap from the bottom not the top like in the usless picture- and viola, perfect bobbins:)
3. Button holes were always a problem for me- but not any more!! There is a button hole foot with this that is super simple! You just make a dot on your fabric where the center of the top stitch will be and begin. The machine has a dial that lets it know you are sewing a button hole, you still have to turn the dial between steps, but you never have to turn the fabric around. (you will need to operate the pedal), but It starts by sewing the right side length, then you turn the dial and make the left to right stitches (I like to do those by turning the handle myself for 3 complete stitches), then you switch the dial again and it will automatically go in reverese to sew the other side, then finish by making the top left/right stiches and you are done. So simple, and I have made some horrible, horrible button holes in the past, but this is so easy I no longer dread button holes! It even has a foot to sew the button on!
4. The spool does not stick straight up like my old sewing machine - instead it is sort of recessed at the top of the machine- this is nice because I tend to take my machine to my friends house and once the spool holder on my old one broke while in the trunk (I fixed it with heavy tape)- this one will not break the way it is designed.
Finally- I would recommend this machine! It gets the job done, makes frustrating things easy and because it is mechanical I believe it will last another 15+ years:)
11 comment| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 13, 2015
This is my very first sewing machine. I really like this machine. I found the complete instruction on YouTube for beginner like me 😊
The price was good and it is easy to use. I recommended this sewing machine to anyone who want to learn to sew.
I made this bag with this sewing machine.
review image
on December 8, 2015
I was so nervous as I was waiting for this sewing machine to come. I bought a Kenmore sewing machine about 5 years ago and it lasted for about 3.5 years. I liked it a lot and for the price it lasted a decent amount of time but it was not worth fixing (in the words of the repairman). I then bought a Brother and it last me 1 year on the dot. I never liked it, I loathed sewing on it so it probably would have lasted less time if I used it more often. Then I researched and decided I would try a Singer. This was in my price range and had the features I wanted. I received it, threaded it and the moment I pressed on that pedal and it began to sew I fell in love. Seriously! It was so smooth that I thought it wasn't sewing. I had to check. The stiches were beautiful. I love it. I would definitely recommend this machine!
on May 18, 2016
I bought and returned this item twice. The first time I thought I'd just gotten a bad machine, but by the second one I concluded it just isn't made very well.
Both machines had bobbin trouble and snarled and caught easily. On one the automatic threader malfunctioned. On one the bobbin housing actually fell out while I was pulling a stuck thread. Those just reflect low quality craftsmanship; one should not have to spend equal time resolving snarls as actually sewing. There is no way you should use this on any kind of heavy fabric or for multiple layers. I would think of this as a child's machine, but then, actually, it is so persnickety that it would just frustrate a child.
The Janome 2212 is an entry-level machine that costs only about $50 more here on Amazon, and it is vastly superior. It sewed six layers of upholstery fabric without even the tiniest disruption. It doesn't have 1-step buttonholes, true, but the advance in quality and ease of use are worth far more than that.
on April 27, 2016
This is a great first sewing machine. If you've never used a sewing machine before it can be extremely intimidating and this make/model is no different, however there ARE some things that make it easier such as the "automatic" threader. While it's not really "automatic" as it is manual, but it's definitely useful! It will take you a few times to get comfortable with it, but once you do, you'll be threading that needle (and machine) like a pro. Just keep the needle AND presser foot in their up-most positions while threading the machine and/or using the auto-threader and you shouldn't have any problems.

Other tips learned the hard way from this newbie:
- make sure the needle is raised above the fabric before changing the width setting.
- before changing the bobbin tension-screw (only do that if its absolutely necessary), jot down the factory-adjusted settings somewhere.
- jot down any adjustment screw changes you made, fabric and thread used, etc... and use it for future reference.
- reset the bobbin back to factory before readjusting for a new material and/or thread-type so every "jotted down" setting has the same exact starting reference point.

I had to return the first machine I received due to some issues I was experiencing -- hand-wheel was kind of grinding, I couldn't loosen the top-thread tension no matter what I tried, and the bobbin door kept slapping shut instead of staying open. Replacement model was perfect!
on October 15, 2015
I'm a guy who doesn't sew. This, to me, is a tool for connecting two pieces of fabric. I read the instructions, watched a video of someone using the auto-threader and got started. Threading the machine is as easy as could be, and not once did I have a problem with the needle threader. The bobbin tension was set fine from the factory and inserting a loaded bobbin was easy.
I make quilted covers for stereo equipment, hem Khakis etc. Small stuff, but you need a quality tool to do these sorts of jobs. My Dad has an older Singer that gives us fits with bunching underneath, mostly because there's no provision to adjust the bobbin tension. This machine is a pleasure to use! The stitching on the bottom looks as finished and perfect as the stitching on top. The feed is accurate and true. Not one bit of trouble in everything I've tried do far. Nicely made.
on January 7, 2017
This is a really great little machine. It is an unassuming hard working appliance. Exactly what I need. I love it and one of my cats loves it.
review image
on September 30, 2016
I don't recommend this brand. They use to make good quality products but not anymore!
I bought this machine less than 6 months ago. Today the engine doesn't work anymore. the customer service told me to ship my machine 500 miles away to a Singer Warranty Service Center. There they would be able to replace for free the electronic components (2 years warranty), I will have to pay for the labor ((3 months warranty) and the shipments though...... this would actually cost me more money that to buy a new machine!
how come we have to throw away sewing machines 6 months after you buy them? is this responsible?
on January 19, 2016
Got this as a gift for Christmas - had another Singer for years and it finally shot the tension knob across the room, otherwise I never would have put a sewing machine on my "wish list". This machine is pure torture. Read the manual - had a terrible time threading the machine, could not pick up the bobbin thread, finally tried sewing a straight stitch on a piece of cotton and got about ten ugly stitches and then it was unthreaded. Played with the tension and rethreaded the machine numerous times and decided to pack it up and send it back. Not a good machine in anyway in my opinion. Would be very frustrating to anyone who was sewing for the first time. I've been sewing forever and at 75, am thrilled that I can still see well enough to thread the needle, but not every ten stitches!!
on May 23, 2013
(Yes, I resisted the temptation to put "SEW much" in the title. You're welcome.)

When my wife and I moved halfway across the country, we reluctantly but consciously let a lot of stuff go. I let go of my hard campaigner of a sewing machine -- also a Singer -- and I've been regretting it ever since. I put a lot of miles on my old machine, usually with lightweight costuming for one of many groups that are dismissively referred to as "SCA Lite". My personal bests for that machine had been a pink kilt (because they don't make them in my size) and a plush Cthulhu... so it had seen some serious use.

Anyway, I had some repair projects piling up -- mostly trousers, with things like damaged/worn out front pockets and miscellaneous rips -- so I decided it was high time I got a new sewing machine. This model reminded me a great deal of the machine I'd had before, although the older model had a push button in the center of the lower dial for reversing the sewing direction. When I set up the machine and set about my clothing repairs, I was delighted to see the functioning was very similar to the older model I'd left behind. Having a lever nearer the needle than the stitch selector was a bit of an adjustment, but an easy enough one to make.

I've used this machine to repair/replace both front pockets on a pair of cargo shorts, which it handled with aplomb (or even a pear). Thus far, I'm quite satisfied with this machine; I look forward to putting it through its paces.