Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Fall Reading Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Style Name: Singer 4423|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,229 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,391 reviews
on April 18, 2017
I wanted a workhorse, and that's what I got. This machine does everything a basic sewer needs and does it well. The speed, for an experienced sewer like me, was important, and this machine is great on that, going very slow or way up to 'pedal to the metal' speed. My first project was not extra-heavy duty, but heavy enough, the it sailed right through. I expect many years of reliable use.

If you're looking for a machine that does fancy work, embroidery, computer stuff, this one's not for you. But if you want a well-made, basic machine, I believe that you won't be disappointed! I highly recommend it.

As a Prime member, I buy a LOT of stuff from amazon. Living out in a rural area far from a city, amazon is my go-to source for many of my purchases. I must rely heavily on your product reviews to help me decide which item is best for me -- especially when I can't actually see, touch or hold the product.

I take my personal product reviews seriously, and if something proves to be a piece of junk, I'll tell you - and if it's great or mediocre, I'll tell you that, too. My policy is to try to write the kind of reviews I want to read and to update my reviews if for some reason the product fails to perform as advertised during the period it's warrantied for. I do ask that if you found this review helpful in making your decision, that you please click on the "yes" button below.
0Comment| 307 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2016
This is a solid machine. The stuff my wife and I make requires both rather thick, rugged and thin, delicate materials and we get a beautiful stitch regardless the kind of material we use; from a thick and stiff vinyl, silky satin to stretchy lycra...not to say a walking foot doesn't help. Can't wait to try leather; have a thicker needle for it and everything. It's not a super fancy machine with a million functions (If you want that, get one that's computerized) but it gives me a far more detailed stitch than I expected, especially for the price.

I would give everyone who buys this machine one piece of advice: Read the manual. No seriously, READ THE MANUAL!!! Singer was nice enough to include a manual full of details, set up instructions and proper sewing advice. Printed, stapled and everything: not on a disc or a link to a PDF but an actual book in the box with the machine. Shocking right? I personally was amazed, especially after thinking about all the people who gave this machine bad reviews for the simple reason they didn't know how to use it properly, or worse, they don't know how to sew. Yeah, the only down side to the manual is one actually has to read it to obtain that helpful information; not just look at the pictures.

*** I don't intend to sound mean but I'm running with the assumption the folks who gave this machine a bad review also complain their phone is broken because they don't know how to install a new app. ***

Every machine operates and feels a little different. This is a very easy machine to use and get use to. It doesn't really require any skill to use properly and as far as I can tell there's nothing freakishly different about this machine. If you're working with thick materials and you want a strong stitch without laboring the motor or snapping the needle every time you take it out, this is the machine for you.

And seriously, read the manual.
review image
22 comments| 251 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2012
There are a lot of reviews here of people frustrated with the Singer 4423. I was going to purchase this machine back in November, as I needed a machine to handle automotive upholstery and other heavy fabrics. I hesitated on buying because of less then stellar reviews. An Amazon lightening deal changed my mind, as the price was under $100.

I received my item well packaged and expediently (thanks Amazon). The directions that come with it are not great, but get the basics covered. I utilized the internet for more detailed instruction, and well as for video guidance. After using the sewing machine for several hours, I too became frustrated. So much so, that I initiated a return. It seems I could not get the thread tension correct, and I would end up with tons of bobbin jams. Nobody wants their bobbin in a jam.

After sleeping on it (not literally), I researched more on the internet. I found a few tips that not only helped, my project turned out great and I was able to use the 4423 effectively.

My Tips:

1. Use the felt bobbin spacer if the bobbin is racking in the bobbin case.
2. Important. Use only the plastic - not metal - bobbins.
3. Make sure you thread correctly. Thread tension is critical and is managed at loops #3, #4, and #5. When threading, be sure to give a slight tug to ensure the thread has seated into the blind tensioner. Also don't forget to run the thread behind the guide #6.
4. This might seem obvious, but be sure to drop the presser foot. It's easy to forget especially when setting up thicker fabrics/upholstery. If you forget, you'll know soon enough, by having a mess under the fabric on the bobbin side.
5. Practice with the foot control. It launches from 0 to 60 in a split second. I'd like to find a way of better control here, as fine control is challenging.
6. Use the correct needle size. Mine shipped with a 90/14 which is good for many things, but I recommend a 100 for thicker stuff, like chihuahuas and small pets. Just kidding about that small pet crack.

I gave this machine 5 stars solely because for the money (<$100), it was a no-brainer. I'd give it 4 stars if priced in the usual $125- $150 range. It's not perfect, as the foot control is too sensitive (like my wife). But it is a well made piece of equipment that CAN handle heavy fabrics. It went through 6 layers of vinyl upholstery as well as plastic piping, without struggle. I did find that best results were obtained when the needle is started manually in the thicker, multi-layered fabrics.

Stitch patterns seemed to work okay, but I only did some messing around with them, just to see if they worked. I really only used the straight, and zig-zag with frequency.

One other thing, the machine is light, which is good and bad. Good, as it's easy to transport, but bad as it will move when pushing heavy stock through it. Use a rubber mat, or better yet an appropriate table.
review image review image
2929 comments| 1,780 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2015
My wife was busily sewing holiday gifts to give when her fancy-shmancy mega-buck sewing machine died; a key component broke. Yikes!! She was dead in the water with lots more sewing to do and repair of her machine was weeks away. GASP! We turned to Amazon for a economically-priced machine and selected the Singer 4423 and found it on our doorstep in just days, thanks to our Amazon Prime 2-day delivery account. Yay! But our celebration was short-lived.

The unit would not work properly. There was a timing problem regarding the synchronization of the Hook (AKA: Shuttle); the part located below the machine sewing plate that picks up the thread from the needle so the stitch in the material on top of the sewing plate can be locked in place. Lack of timing/synchronization leads to a mess (see image).

Returning the machine to Amazon for replacement will take too long and there is no guarantee the replacement unit won’t have timing and/or other issues. In the interest of time, we may have to take this brand new machine to a local fast-turnaround repair shop to have the timing corrected.

When we purchased the machine through Amazon we included a (Canopy 2-Year Housewares Extended Protection Plan ($125-$150) and asked them to respond to our situation, to see if they will cover the cost of repair. We are waiting their reply.

This review will be updated as our situation progresses, but right now, we hate this machine.

**UPDATE**

It took Canopy three days before responding to my plight. Ha! All they said they would NOT have the sewing machine repaired and recommended returning the sewing machine to Amazon for replacement. They completely ignored our time crunch situation. So much for customer support/care. So, here is what we did.

We returned something alright, but it was not the sewing machine, it was the Canopy coverage for a full refund. We decided to keep the sewing machine, getting it fixed locally so my wife could complete her Christmas-gift sewing using simple straight and zig-zag stitching. Not an ideal solution, but one that works.

review image
77 comments| 267 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 1, 2017
I have a lot of projects planned, as I learn to sew with this. 1st 2 have gone well, and the only complaint I have is the cord to/from the foot pedal needs to be longer. Great buy and shipped fast.
on March 4, 2017
This is my first sewing machine, and I love how easy the directions are to understand! Comes with a detailed manual as well as a quick reminder page so you don't have to search for directions on how to thread. I love this machine!
on February 11, 2017
So far so good bought it as a gift for my mother. Was missing a stopper for the thread but nothing a rubber washer couldn't fix. Overall she loves it especially the self threader!!
on June 20, 2016
The more I use this new Singer 4423 the more I like it! I've finally learned when the tension needs adjusting to just move the dial a tiny bit at a time until you find the right tension setting for your sewing. The machine is fairly quiet, easy to use the automatic threader (once you actually read the instructions), topside bobbin is great. But I do still have issues when raising the bobbin thread - I get little tangles but once I learned to pull those on thru and cut the threads it seems fine. I'm not a very experienced sewer (I consider myself a newbie), I just do it for fun making pillowcases, pillow covers, and some tea towel aprons but I do enjoy sewing and especially using this smooth running machine and it's really fast!! So far I'm a happy camper!! I would recommend this machine for a beginner as well as a person who is experienced in sewing but just needs a good basic machine. READ the instruction booklet and watch the video tutorials - both have been a major help to me.
on July 13, 2016
Im absolutely OBSESSED with this sewing machine!! Ive had it for a month now and i havnt had any issues with it. Smooth sailing from start to end of projects! I work with alit of lycra for swimwear and this machine works beautiful!!! You can see what ive made by checking out @euphorictreasures on instagram. I wish i would have made this purchase a lot sooner. Hope this review helps anyone thining about purchasing this model.
on January 15, 2015
The machine works good. I use it a lot for sewing doll clothes and mending people clothes. I have had to change the needle several times though from sewing through Velcro. I didn't expect to sew through layers of Denim, but I wanted to sew Velcro closures to my doll clothes...it bunched up a couple of times doing so.

The zig zag stitch is complicated to find the right setting to get it where I want it.

It doesn't have a very good free arm...but it isn't that bad. I haven't tried to use it for things such as cuffs or other small openings. It seems to do fine on the doll openings...I just wish it was a little more narrow, like on another machine.

Overall I'm happy with the machine, but it is not my favorite. It is good for all-around sewing, but don't expect bells and whistles for this machine. It has some drawbacks...but it seems to run fine.