Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,142 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,303 reviews
on December 15, 2016
This is a solid machine. The stuff my wife and I make requires both rather thick, rugged and thin, delicate materials and we get a beautiful stitch regardless the kind of material we use; from a thick and stiff vinyl, silky satin to stretchy lycra...not to say a walking foot doesn't help. Can't wait to try leather; have a thicker needle for it and everything. It's not a super fancy machine with a million functions (If you want that, get one that's computerized) but it gives me a far more detailed stitch than I expected, especially for the price.

I would give everyone who buys this machine one piece of advice: Read the manual. No seriously, READ THE MANUAL!!! Singer was nice enough to include a manual full of details, set up instructions and proper sewing advice. Printed, stapled and everything: not on a disc or a link to a PDF but an actual book in the box with the machine. Shocking right? I personally was amazed, especially after thinking about all the people who gave this machine bad reviews for the simple reason they didn't know how to use it properly, or worse, they don't know how to sew. Yeah, the only down side to the manual is one actually has to read it to obtain that helpful information; not just look at the pictures.

*** I don't intend to sound mean but I'm running with the assumption the folks who gave this machine a bad review also complain their phone is broken because they don't know how to install a new app. ***

Every machine operates and feels a little different. This is a very easy machine to use and get use to. It doesn't really require any skill to use properly and as far as I can tell there's nothing freakishly different about this machine. If you're working with thick materials and you want a strong stitch without laboring the motor or snapping the needle every time you take it out, this is the machine for you.

And seriously, read the manual.
review image
22 comments| 151 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2012
There are a lot of reviews here of people frustrated with the Singer 4423. I was going to purchase this machine back in November, as I needed a machine to handle automotive upholstery and other heavy fabrics. I hesitated on buying because of less then stellar reviews. An Amazon lightening deal changed my mind, as the price was under $100.

I received my item well packaged and expediently (thanks Amazon). The directions that come with it are not great, but get the basics covered. I utilized the internet for more detailed instruction, and well as for video guidance. After using the sewing machine for several hours, I too became frustrated. So much so, that I initiated a return. It seems I could not get the thread tension correct, and I would end up with tons of bobbin jams. Nobody wants their bobbin in a jam.

After sleeping on it (not literally), I researched more on the internet. I found a few tips that not only helped, my project turned out great and I was able to use the 4423 effectively.

My Tips:

1. Use the felt bobbin spacer if the bobbin is racking in the bobbin case.
2. Important. Use only the plastic - not metal - bobbins.
3. Make sure you thread correctly. Thread tension is critical and is managed at loops #3, #4, and #5. When threading, be sure to give a slight tug to ensure the thread has seated into the blind tensioner. Also don't forget to run the thread behind the guide #6.
4. This might seem obvious, but be sure to drop the presser foot. It's easy to forget especially when setting up thicker fabrics/upholstery. If you forget, you'll know soon enough, by having a mess under the fabric on the bobbin side.
5. Practice with the foot control. It launches from 0 to 60 in a split second. I'd like to find a way of better control here, as fine control is challenging.
6. Use the correct needle size. Mine shipped with a 90/14 which is good for many things, but I recommend a 100 for thicker stuff, like chihuahuas and small pets. Just kidding about that small pet crack.

I gave this machine 5 stars solely because for the money (<$100), it was a no-brainer. I'd give it 4 stars if priced in the usual $125- $150 range. It's not perfect, as the foot control is too sensitive (like my wife). But it is a well made piece of equipment that CAN handle heavy fabrics. It went through 6 layers of vinyl upholstery as well as plastic piping, without struggle. I did find that best results were obtained when the needle is started manually in the thicker, multi-layered fabrics.

Stitch patterns seemed to work okay, but I only did some messing around with them, just to see if they worked. I really only used the straight, and zig-zag with frequency.

One other thing, the machine is light, which is good and bad. Good, as it's easy to transport, but bad as it will move when pushing heavy stock through it. Use a rubber mat, or better yet an appropriate table.
review image review image
2929 comments| 1,638 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 18, 2017
I wanted a workhorse, and that's what I got. This machine does everything a basic sewer needs and does it well. The speed, for an experienced sewer like me, was important, and this machine is great on that, going very slow or way up to 'pedal to the metal' speed. My first project was not extra-heavy duty, but heavy enough, the it sailed right through. I expect many years of reliable use.

If you're looking for a machine that does fancy work, embroidery, computer stuff, this one's not for you. But if you want a well-made, basic machine, I believe that you won't be disappointed! I highly recommend it.

As a Prime member, I buy a LOT of stuff from amazon. Living out in a rural area far from a city, amazon is my go-to source for many of my purchases. I must rely heavily on your product reviews to help me decide which item is best for me -- especially when I can't actually see, touch or hold the product.

I take my personal product reviews seriously, and if something proves to be a piece of junk, I'll tell you - and if it's great or mediocre, I'll tell you that, too. My policy is to try to write the kind of reviews I want to read and to update my reviews if for some reason the product fails to perform as advertised during the period it's warrantied for. I do ask that if you found this review helpful in making your decision, that you please click on the "yes" button below.
on December 11, 2016
I bought one for my nieces for Christmas as they are just learning to sew, and at 12 years old I thought it would be a great gift while they're still at the age where they can explore hobbies and are inquisitive about learning new things, and to do things with their hands other than texting. I have five machines ranging from Singer to Kenmore and a serger plus an antique Singer Feather Weight machine that sews flawlessly and have been sewing for 45 years so I know a little something about the craft. Anyway, I viewed loads of videos on Youtube about the machine before purchasing it, and was convinced that it was the ideal machine for them. When it arrived I unboxed it, went over the instructions and tried it out - every stitch, feature and buttonhole. I was extremely impressed. Mostly because of the ease of use, low noise level, speed and not having to adjust the tension when changing fabric weights (of course you'll have to do it with extreme variances), and finally, the price - can't beat it for what it does. The automatic threader was a bit cumbersome, but that's a minor point as I never had one before, so it's not a big deal. I loved the speed (1100 stitches per minute vs. conventional machines at about 400 - 500) as I am a speed sewer as time is money! The other aspect of the machine I like is that it's mechanical as opposed to computerized, which will make for a lot more easier repairs and replacement parts if ever needed. I used to sell sewing machines and the computerized ones never seemed to have the heft as the mechanical machines and they tend to be very temperamental and fail more frequently. After playing with the machine for a couple days I was so impressed that I bought one for myself. I currently have my circa 1980 steel Kenmore on my stand right now, but it's gong to the attic. I absolutely love this machine and will certainly stretch it to its limits.
on January 18, 2016
We bought this to do some sail repairs and to make new cushions for our sailboat. For the price I think it is hard to beat, if working with heavy/slick materials like sailcloth and sunbrella you will want to get a quality walking foot for it. It does struggle a little once you go beyond about three layers of sunbrella, three layers is fine but 4 and above require you to hand start it. Once you get it going though it sews just fine.

The reason for the 4 star vs 5 star rating is that the foot pedal that comes with the machine is very touchy and difficult to control the speed of the machine.

Not really any other options out there in this price range that I could find, I think the next step up from this you are looking at $500 and up.
on February 25, 2016
I have 2 industrial machines but the house I live in is small and cannot accomidate them inside. They are in the garage. I had been going through sewers withdrawl for a long time and broke down and bought a not so good small machine a while back. Totally hated it, slow and cheap. I figured technology is always progressing and came on amazon just to check them out ,recently and found this machine. Im am so pleased i could cry! I have used it quite often putting the petal to the metal on duvet covers, altering clothes etc. Sure it is not an industrial machine, but with care and the right needles does the job without any fits of rage at all, so far lol. I appreciate that it is silent when you turn it on and sewing is not that noisey like my industrials. It is not huge either making cleanup easy. This little machine does a lot for its compact size, the price is ridiculousy affordable and the performance is surprisingly adequate, at 1100 stiches a minute? Wow that is what my juki pulls, and the main reason I got it. I have read about it not sewing through bulky seems, well industrials will jam up to if you are trying to fly through them; slow down, do manual turns, and dont forget that the right needles for the right projects are a must. I recommend this product whole heartedly.
on August 8, 2016
Love this machine.
I had an old Brother that lasted for years...and I abused it with heavy weight fabrics, etc. So this machine replaced one I really loved, but wasn't built to handle heavy fabric in multiple layers, etc.
This Singer is a nice, simple machine that works very well on heavy fabric. My first project on it was sewing new cushion covers for my patio furniture....with heavy outdoor fabric. I had piping on them and everything, so sometimes I was sewing thru 5 layers....and this machine did a great job.
It doesn't have 2 billion fancy stitches (which I would never use), but it does have a few...which I may find a use for! and it has the basic stitches I need.
I'm really happy with it.
on January 2, 2017
By far the WORST sewing machine I have every bought.
The stitch timing was off sew my seams would not hold properly. It ruins fabric.
I have even exchanged the items and requested a new one in hopes mine was just defected but I just received the same terrible machine. It's shocking bc Singer is supposed to be one of the better affordable sewing machines and I regrettably gave my old sewing machine away - a Kenmore from 15 years ago that worked perfect (it was loud but worked great) and thought I just needed a new one. I clearly should have stuck with my old machine.
See attached photo of the terrible stitching. I have threaded the machine properly, watched videos just to make sure its threaded properly and even had other people who sew thread it and try it. The results are the same.
Again, I exchanged this machine and STILL had the same results.
on December 16, 2015
My wife was busily sewing holiday gifts to give when her fancy-shmancy mega-buck sewing machine died; a key component broke. Yikes!! She was dead in the water with lots more sewing to do and repair of her machine was weeks away. GASP! We turned to Amazon for a economically-priced machine and selected the Singer 4423 and found it on our doorstep in just days, thanks to our Amazon Prime 2-day delivery account. Yay! But our celebration was short-lived.

The unit would not work properly. There was a timing problem regarding the synchronization of the Hook (AKA: Shuttle); the part located below the machine sewing plate that picks up the thread from the needle so the stitch in the material on top of the sewing plate can be locked in place. Lack of timing/synchronization leads to a mess (see image).

Returning the machine to Amazon for replacement will take too long and there is no guarantee the replacement unit won’t have timing and/or other issues. In the interest of time, we may have to take this brand new machine to a local fast-turnaround repair shop to have the timing corrected.

When we purchased the machine through Amazon we included a (Canopy 2-Year Housewares Extended Protection Plan ($125-$150) and asked them to respond to our situation, to see if they will cover the cost of repair. We are waiting their reply.

This review will be updated as our situation progresses, but right now, we hate this machine.

**UPDATE**

It took Canopy three days before responding to my plight. Ha! All they said they would NOT have the sewing machine repaired and recommended returning the sewing machine to Amazon for replacement. They completely ignored our time crunch situation. So much for customer support/care. So, here is what we did.

We returned something alright, but it was not the sewing machine, it was the Canopy coverage for a full refund. We decided to keep the sewing machine, getting it fixed locally so my wife could complete her Christmas-gift sewing using simple straight and zig-zag stitching. Not an ideal solution, but one that works.

review image
66 comments| 248 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 18, 2014
In looking over these 4 models, I compared the listed features in order to figure out which was actually the best buy. I believe the best buy is model 4423.
4411 is the lowest priced, however 4423 has 11 more stitches, (4 stretch), the fully automatic 1-step buttonhole maker and the auto-needle threader for a mere 5 dollars more.
The only features model 4432 seems to have over 4423 are are an additional 3 stretch stitches and 6 more decorative stitches, for 44 dollars more.
As it is described, model 5532 seems to have "automatic pressure foot control" as its distinguishing feature over model 4432 as well as "Automatic bobbin winding" and the way it is written it sounds as though your needle will go up and down when the bobbin is wound if you do not have this feature. It might mean bobbin is wound in place as opposed to moving it to the top of the machine to wind, but that isn't clear.

I was a bit hesitant to get this machine after reading about all the bobbin jamming but the price was too good and there were enough positive reviews to not find out for myself. Here's what I found: You can very easily jam your bobbin if you remove your work without first making sure the uptake lever is in the uppermost position. If you remove your work when the needle is up but the uptake lever is down, it (the uptake lever) can easily come unthreaded without your notice and your next stitches will jam. The simple discipline of never removing your work without the uptake lever in the uppermost position, as is the case with many sewing machines, solves that problem.

I bought this machine to sew denim jeans, not just hem them...as well as to work with other heavy fabrics. It's a nice companion to my Singer Heavy Duty Serger which is great for trimming and finishing my denim seams.

At the time my Singer Heavy Duty 4423 arrived, I was working on a rayon spandex knit top that on any machine would be like trying to sew a limp noodle. With a walking foot, it went fine on this machine. Buying some denim today to make some jeans and see how this machine does.

Update:
I sewed a pair of denim jeans. I used a walking foot and everything went well, mostly. The only drawback I definitely noticed was that there isn't quite enough clearance when raising the presser foot. I had to pull to get some thicker seamed areas out from under the raised presser foot. The foot can be raised a little higher but that wasn't high enough for the thickest areas. Another 1/4" clearance would be a lot better. I recently learned to use a hammer or mallet on my thickest seam buildups in sewing jeans and it does help tremendously. I don't see why additional clearance isn't part of the design specs for a heavy duty machine, though.

The automatic 1-step buttonhole attachment is really nice. So is the automatic needle threading.

I'm used to having longer seam width guidelines etched in that area where the see thru bobbin cover is, but the clear bobbin cover is kind of in the way for that. I did notice another brand has the guidelines marked on the bobbin cover. Hint to Singer. A third brand has a screw head in the middle of their guidelines. That, was an immediate turnoff.

I tend to put sewing machines through some tough paces. Overall, I think this machine is still a fairly good value for the price.

Update: I'm liking this machine more and more. I have several older machines and was looking for the best straight stitch, top AND bottom side. This machine won!

The decorative stitches are definitely cool. I tried them on some denim crazy quilt pieces.