Lyft Industrial Deals Fall Reading Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 91 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 125 reviews
on July 10, 2013
I have used this machine now for 4 years. During the last two years the machine was finicky, lights flickering and the machine resetting itself. I eventually broke down and bought a new cord and presser foot for it, thinking the wire had a break in it somewhere. I was very wrong. The plug inside the machine was the cause and now it will cost me hundreds of dollars to repair it. Oh so you think the warranty will cover it? Guess again! There is no Singer Warranty Shop within driving distance-AND Singer does not cover LABOR. What use is that? Is the machine worth it? Not really sure, probably not. If you think all the wonderful stiches are nice-think like this--how many times are you going to stitch your grandchild's name in 5 different languages? Yes-A lot of these stitches are 5 different alphabets-4 of which, you will never use. Buyer beware
on July 31, 2017
Sewing machine upper thread out of time with bobbin hook and the machine will not stitch. Automatic needle threader does not work and it appears a small piece of the right prong is missing. Upon closerr examinatioin a number of screws holding the case together are mssing, including one holding he plate presser foot rests on. Found one screw in packaging. The description stated the machine was "gently used" and I believe this statement to be false. I will nor buy any producr listed by "deal 1" again.
on April 4, 2011
Unfortunately, my machine started malfunctioning the second day I used it. It seems to be a timing issue and hopefully is correctable, but it is very disheartening to have a machine malfunction in the middle of your first project on it. My 80 dollar Kenmore worked perfectly for 2 years, but this machine can't even last a week? I'm sure this is a great machine for those lucky ones who didn't have it break down so quickly.

It comes with a decent warranty, so I contacted Singer. Boy, has their customer service gone down the toilet. I was on hold for 30 minutes, gave up, and decided to email them. It took them 3 days to respond just to tell me to contact a service center.

When I called the service center, I dealt with a rude and uncaring employee who incidentally was also very difficult to understand. He told me to "just send it in." To be sure, I included two different proofs of purchase, all the accessories, and a letter detailing the issue. I was really hoping they would just send me a new machine. It seems like at the very least they would want to give me a reference number, but there was no mention of any sort of tracking.

I've sent in the machine, and now I just wait. They've received my package, but can't give me any specific time estimate.

So, at the moment I am very dissatisfied with Singer. While it was working, I thought the machine was a dream (the auto-tension worked great). But the way it broke down so quickly makes me believe that Singer has resorted to cheap materials and construction. What has been the worst experience thus far, however, was the customer service--I've received no helpful information nor any apology.

I'll be sure to update this once my machine is returned to me. I'm HOPING this is a one-time incident.

UPDATE: Haven't had any issues since getting my machine back. It did take them six weeks to fix and send back my machine. It was such a horror dealing with their customer service representatives that I think next time I will take it to a local shop even if that means voiding the warranty.

That said, the machine is a bit clunky. I have had trouble maneuvering it on tight turns etc. It seems to stitch too quickly and the pedal is just way too sensitive. It's good for basic sewing, but not for apparent details. The decorative stitches are nice, though.

Still, it seems to be fairly reliable despite the initial hiccup. Having learned to sew on a very basic machine, I find the autotension to be a really nice feature.

I have raised my review from 2 to 3 stars after getting to know my machine. However, because of my experiences with Singer's warranty services, I cannot say I would buy this sewing machine again.
on December 3, 2009
I probably shouldn't review this machine after only the first couple days, but what a nice machine. I don't think it's all that heavy. The threading has simplified since the last time I had a sewing machine, and I got the little needle threader to work. I have a problem that I'm left handed. It's difficult for me to use the needle threader and even more difficult to change the needle.

The video helped a lot. Too bad they didn't do a short segment on maintenance. There's not that much to maintain. My first project involved sewing two quilt thicknesses together. The outer fabric was a smooth cotton, so the upper piece pushed a little out of alignment from the lower piece. Then when I did the french seam second pass, things realigned themselves.

I ordered the combo with the carrying case. Walmart has the same case for 2/3 the cost.

--pat
on December 19, 2013
This machine was such a disappointment to me. I had hardly used it when it began to skip stitches. Took it to a shop to be fixed and they told me it couldn't be fixed, that every time he got the thing aligned it just flipped right back into skipping. So I got two years of use out of it. I would never buy a Singer machine again - they are just too cheaply made and NOT made to last. Ok if you plan to replace your machine every other year.
on March 13, 2017
so far so good first new sewing machine in 25 years and still getting used to it but functionality and quality of assembly seem good
on June 5, 2017
Good buy for the money
on August 17, 2009
My husband bought this sewing machine for me for our anniversary. I'm simply delighted every time I sit down to sew a project or do the humdrum, mending, primarily because of the variety of stitches available to meet my various needs. You see, I've had a bargain-priced Singer with only straight and zigzag stitches since 1972. Though to date I've only used three different stitches, this machine has lit the fire of creativity in me. Equally important are the cost of it, the ease of use and its many features. A woman who has sewn for 40 years, I never thought I could be so thrilled about a machine. This is like stepping out of my Oldsmobile station wagon and into my new Honda Accord. I can't wait to start my Chrismas sewing project, patchwork tote bags.
on August 23, 2013
This is not the first sewing machine I've owned. I pulled it out of the packaging today, followed the instructions on the DVD and found the foot controller wasn't functional. With some tugging on wires it could occasionally produce movement but clearly shipped to me non-functional. Mostly just really discouraged because I waited so long to use the machine and there's no sending it back now. I would not purchase this machine unless this particular problem was noted and solved.
on October 15, 2012
I purchased this machine from Amazon for my 13 year old daughter after looking at it in a sewing shop. My 13 year old has been sewing on a started machine for 2 years now and she was ready for the next step up - something that would take her through college or longer. I almost purchased this same exact machine from the sewing shop for $499 but thought I would check Amazon first....I am so grateful I did - I purchased from Amazon for $319 with no shipping. Amazing! My daughter loves the machine - she loves the alphabet feature and symbols that she can sew.