Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on March 20, 2013
I really enjoyed this book,many of the recipes in the book would be useful just to anyone.
As a mother i was looking for helpful and simple ideas to get my kids to eat healthier and found here so many recipes and most of them worked for me easily such as the smoothie with banana, peanut butter and almond milk-so easy to make and the kids love it.
The only little problem i found is the lack of order or some kind of a plan to work with as i found in Healthy Child - the 5 weeks plan to change your children's life (The "Love your Child" series) and just found myself working with these 2 books together perfectly.I pick up all the recipes form this book and applies then in the plan of the other one and it works for me just great.
Highly recommended for anyone who wants to change her children's nutrition.
22 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on June 21, 2012
There look to be some good recipes in here. My problem (and this is my problem) is that I had to go through 28 pages of contributors (seriously), eight pages of ingredient notes and seven pages of opening notes to even get close to the recipes. Some of this info certainly needs to be in the front, but the bulk should be in the back (unless you can by-pass it, which you can't). No quick jumps - anywhere. There is no break down by category so you just have to page and page through even more. Once you hit a category, there is a list of recipes. From there, there is no link to that recipe, once again having to go page by page by page (and there are a lot of pages in this book). There are no page breaks between recipes, so they tend to run together. The pictures are pretty decent.

I give it a two as some of the recipes do look good. I'm just not going to waste my time looking for them when it should be a quick fix to jump to where you want to go. Not user friendly.
96 people found this helpful
|55 comments|Report abuse
on April 11, 2014
This is a must download - first, I love that she is providing the book for free (and states why) in the forward. Next the book provides substantial content, something I would have actually paid for so it's doubly nice to get it free.

The recipes are gathered from different blogs, all of which have links to the original blog. About 95 percent of them have a photo which is also nice and not something you get with the free DIY books. My only issue is the lack of a Table of Contents, which if put in place would deal with most of the complaints about the scroll through of copy at the front of the book. However when you click the Kindle tab it will give you a drop down menu with a scrollable list of recipes by name. You can also use the bookmark feature to keep tabs on your favorites.

Each recipe goes into substitutions for if you need them due to allergies, dietary restrictions (dairy or gluten free for example) of if you need to use Product A to replace Product B. This makes the book far more usable for a wider audience. I also like that these recipes don't take (for the most part) ingredients you wouldn't find in a standard pantry.

I downloaded this book originally for adult lunch ideas as I want to bring lunch to work to save some money. I have a picky teen eater so I think for her, the recipes for muffins, waffles, and pancakes is the place to start. A lot of these would be great as picnic fare or for children's parties (for example, corn puppies as long as your kids will be careful about the sticks).

Recipe breakdown is: Morning Muffin Mania (10), Sensational Smoothies (8), Easy Freein' Waffles, Pancakes and French Toast (7), More Smart Starts (14), Dips, Fillings and Spreads (7), Soups and Stews (8), Salad Style (12), More Lunchbox Love (23), Sweet Snackin' (21), Craving Cookies (10), and Essential Extras (8). So far the recipes we have tried have gotten thumbs up from the family.

Highly recommended!

Reviewed by Cinnabarys.com
on June 8, 2015
I gave 5stars though I have only tried 2 of the recipe's as of now in this book. Because they turned out, and my very picky, child who has many allergies, sensitive to other types of foods will eat these. As will I, and my older child. I have made Dropsie's Gluten-Free, Vegan Banana Muffins, and Grain-Free Raisin "Bran" Muffins. I used a gluten/wheat free flour mix. They taste good, and my kids loved them. I used grape seed oil, coconut milk not cows milk, for the Grain-Free Raisin "Bran" Muffins, they turned out well with out eggs, and no egg substitute. I put the hot water with the ground flax seed in a bowl, and then added the rest of the ingredients, + 1/4 cup of coconut milk. When making the Grain-Free Raisin "Bran" Muffins recipe egg free do not use a blender, a whisk, and bowl work just fine.
I use
Grape seed oil in place of canola oil
coconut milk in place if cows milk
Brown sugar
Golden raisins
on September 1, 2013
I snagged Smart School Time Recipes as an Amazon freebie, searching for...just that! Let's face it, peeps, our children are provided school lunches that have come a long way since I was in school. As I note on their school lunch menus, they indeed have lessened the salt, and added salad bars, and more fruits. If I pack my kids lunches, I am pushing the fruits and veggies for sure. I am no nutritional nut, mind you, but I am an avid baker, and I would highly recommend this free e-cook book. These recipes are not only wholesome and nutritional, but have introduced me to all the varieties of healthier flour, powders, and different ways of baking for a more healthy take. MOST of the pictures look appetizing (minus a couple! ;)) I am just not a fan of spinach in my smoothies...just the thought is grossing me out...but I like spinach?! I also love how the directions are broken down and easy to follow. I'm thinking I could sneak just about every ingredient into our families food, and they won't know the difference! I already have them eating my famous banana walnut bread with orange juice glaze. And who needs chocolate chips?! My kids just can't get enough of my zucchini bread, yes that's right, ZUCCHINI! No chocolate needed, and I only add half the amount of sugar, and drizzle a lil honey in instead. I can't wait to try these recipes, but first I need to go to the grocery store! LOL
on February 2, 2017
Yummy recipes and good ideas. I got this recipe book before we had to go gluten free, but there are actually a lot of gluten free, allergy free, and vegan recipes in here, so it's great for special diets. That being said, it has "normal" recipes, too. Most recipes use real ingredients, too. Check it out!
|0Comment|Report abuse
Found this cookbook to be very helpful as I was searching for a cookbook so that I could prepare in advance a healthy lunch to bring places with me. Also, I like that there are several muffin recipes that will keep outside of a fridge (great if you travel in your car and need a quick snack or pick me up).

All in all, I was very pleased with the recipes in this book, all were quite easy to prepare and tasty that I tried. However, I do agree with another reviewer that this book is very difficult to navigate. ---There is no Table of Contents, no links to other sections. It took me quite some time just to find the recipes in this book. Because of this I give 4 stars (I took off one star due to difficult navigation) and kept the other 4 stars because the recipes are quite good in this book and very useful!
on August 7, 2014
Wow, this book is packed full of kid-friendly recipes! While there are "standard" recipes, there are also dairy-free, grain-free, vegan. & naturally-sweetened options as well. There's something for everyone! There are also photos of many recipes. My only real complaint us that there is no table of contents or quick jumps. There are recipe listings for each section, but you can't click through to certain recipes.. you'll just have to scroll (and scroll.. and scroll..) The book starts out with contributor info (bio & blog link) and then moves on to special ingredient info. These sectons are lonnnng (though informative), so it's a hassle to flip through it all to get to the recipes. It is only because of the lack of quick jumps that I'm rating this 3/5. It's still a steal at $.99.
on February 27, 2012
First, a big Thank-You to all the wonderfully informative reviews that helped me select this great little book.
This e-book has so much good stuff, not just some yummy recipes. I read it cover to cover and learned some new ideas for me (not a kid and not in school). LOL
I especially appreciate how the author(s) included clickable links to various blogs and sites that just expand on the information provided in this book. I appreciated the hints on where to find certain products too.
The simple mention of Kidz Superfood Powder (sold here on Amazon in various flavors), caused me to order the grownup's version Amazing Grass Green SuperFood, 60-Servings, 17-Ounce Tub. Now I add it to my mocha frappe I make each morning, making it somewhat less sinful. I know I feel the difference after using the SuperFood for the past several weeks, so thanks to the author(s) for that!
on October 1, 2013
If you have a lot of time, this book may be for you. Personally, I have never had the time in the mornings to cook a great breakfast and then make these recipes for school lunch boxes. Most are things the kids will not eat even though, as the book says, would be better for them. I had much rather give the kids a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, a cookie, with a piece of fruit I know they will eat than something they are going to throw away once they get out of sight of the house.
4 people found this helpful