- Series: Expert's Voice
- Paperback: 640 pages
- Publisher: Apress; 1st ed. edition (September 6, 2006)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1590597125
- ISBN-13: 978-1590597125
- Product Dimensions: 7.5 x 1.4 x 9.2 inches
- Shipping Weight: 2.2 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 4.6 out of 5 stars See all reviews (11 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #3,610,146 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
SMS 2003 Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach (Expert's Voice) 1st ed. Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
About the Author
Greg Ramsey, a Microsoft "Most Valuable Professional" for Systems Management Server (SMS), has been working with SMS and desktop deployment since 1998. He works for Dell, Inc., in Austin, Texas as an SMS administrator. He has extensive knowledge in VBScript, WMI, ADSI, SMS Installer, Wise Package Studio, and Visual Basic .NET. Prior to 1998, he was a sergeant in the U.S. Marine Corps. He holds a bachelor's degree in computer sciences and engineering from The Ohio State University. Greg is a member of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) and Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), and he is a columnist for myITforum.com. He is also cofounder of the Ohio SMS Users Group and the creator of SMSView .
Top Customer Reviews
Greg and Warren do a very indepth step by step guide to SMS 2003.
The approach this book takes is simply amazing and well thought out. If you need to find a specific example, it is more than likely covered in this book. If you want to read the book from cover to cover, it flows extremely well from topic to topic.
Buy this book, along with SMS 2003 Administrator's Reference (ISBN: 0471749508) for all your SMS 2003 needs.
If you are administering SMS this is a MUST book! I always look at it for a reference now i am finally confident in administering SMS.
After reading some of the reviews for Greg's and Warren's book; `SMS 2003 Recipes - A problem-Solution Approach", I can only conclude that some bought this book for the wrong reasons. Rather than comment on any of the wrong reasons; I'd like to comment on what I liked about this book and how SMS Administrators can take their craft to a new level.
What I liked:
- The authors covered the basics of using VBScript to communicate with SMS and managing SMS tasks with VBScript. Discussion of coding best practices, and of interfacing with WMI are key items to cracking the coding mysteries of SMS 2003.
- The overall format of the book is well done; Problem/task statement, how to solve problem through the SMS 2003 MMC, then how to solve/automate the problem/task statement through code.
- Each section of SMS 2003 administration is covered in detail, from automation of site property settings to automation of advertisements.
- Index is excellent - since I do not usually work in a "linear" manner, it's nice to be able to quickly locate a topic and find more information.
- The chapter on building a Virtual SMS lab. While this topic may seem out of place at first in a "recipes" book, I can tell you first hand the importance of testing any code based solution in a lab environment before releasing these changes in production!Read more ›
I'm going to keep this copy at home; and make work buy a copy for me to keep at my desk!
The only drawback for this book in my opinion was the lack of OSD (Operating System Deployment) Feature Pack information. There is a paragraph that discusses it but not much more. However, this being a problem solution approach to SMS I am not surprised OSD isn't covered in depth.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I normally do not order used books and when I need something I usually need it quick. This was an older book that I could find new but with the price difference and listed quality... Read morePublished on September 20, 2010 by Amazon Customer
I bought this book because the price was good. After reading and using the recipes. This book is excellent. Read morePublished on September 10, 2008 by Gregory E. Messemer
This book is for advanced SMS administrators who work with SMS constantly. I was expecting the first few chapters to start from the beginning of an SMS install and explain some... Read morePublished on March 13, 2007 by Mark W
This is the best book I have seen about SMS since SMS 1.2 (what 10 years ago?). I've working with SMS for over 8 years including 4 years at Microsoft and recently as a consultant. Read morePublished on January 12, 2007 by Steve P. Bobosky