Spring Deals Automotive Amazon First Reads New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on March 12, 2015
very well made knife. nice assisted opening action. blade is AUS8 and flat ground.
feels very light and you shouldn't feel the weight of carrying it for EDC.

As for the other stuff...
Some may see the pics of that the locking mechanism and think
it functions similar to a Benchmade AXIS-LOCK, you'll disappointed. in no way is it functionally similar to an axis lock. that little round nub(on one side only) simply pushes "backwards" on a lock-back mechanism to allow you to close the blade. the rest of the time, that locking nub rattles around back and forth in its cutout groove, no spring tension present to keep it in one spot. Additionally, the handle for my tastes, is very THICK for this size knife. I've got a benchmade barrage that is just as thick but is a larger knife in all dimension. im guessing that the assist-mechanism and manual lock switch requires this extra bulk. and there are NO metal liners to justify even some of this handles' thickness.

if I had seen better product photos I would've skipped this knife purchase. so this is just an okay rating for me. Amazon service, as always is very quick.
on June 3, 2017
I've used this as my EDC for years now. Like any blade guy I'm always looking for something better but haven't found anything yet,

Very light weight.
Comfortable size for my pocket.
Good assisted opening.
Tip down with a deep carry pocket clip.
Drop point blade.
At this price I can lose it and replace easily. (and I have)
Lifetime warranty.

I can sharpen the blade to shave hair, but have to sharpen it more frequently than I'd like. OTOH I do use it several times every day
The blade has a little tendency to wiggle side to side. There is a fine line to adjust for wiggle yet have the blade still open automatically
I have large hands and I found the little finger bump annoying. Less than 5 minutes with a small file took care of the problem.
I did lose one and was a little panicky until I got a replacement.
on March 27, 2016
I love this knife as a daily carry, and it sees more rotation time than my others because it's so light and completely disappears with that deep carry clip, but it's not perfect. The little thumb ramp is just in the wrong place. It's too far back and winds up in the middle of the thumb. Seemed like such an obvious flaw the very first time I held it that I can't believe they made it that way. The shape along the bottom doesn't win any comfort awards for my big hands either. The safety is ridiculous and has gotten me about three times in the past few months. It's not a frequent issue, but it will happen sooner or later. Despite these flaws, I still love it and carry it regularly.
on March 20, 2015
I'm not a knife aficionado or a knife collector, so my few knives are well used to do handy things, like opening letters and packages, cutting rope and string, and dozens of other jobs where a good knife is a useful tool. The assisted opening function works very well with a little practice. This is good since I often find that my other hand is busy doing something else I need done while I am trying to open my knife. The locking button works well and it has never opened in my pocket, which could be hazardous as well as difficult to remove from the pocket in a partly open state. It arrived in a razor sharp condition and cuts extremely well. A good sharpener and strop are needed to keep it in top cutting condition. These are not included but are available at many sporting goods stores, department stores, and on-line.

I would buy and have bought this knife more than once. I gave one to my son as one of his Christmas presents and he likes his as much as I like mine. I recommend this knife to family, friends, and others interested in owning a good knife at a reasonable price.
on December 28, 2017
It's a classic for a reason. If you have a EDC collection, this is must-have. Practically every knife reviewer agrees. I and a few others feel that every man should have this knife, Ontario RAT1, and Kershaw Skyline. They are just too cheap and too useful. Their price to quality ratio is incredible. Sure, if you have the cash, buy a Para military 2. But if you don't need the perfect knife, try this one first. Many save their collection of PM2s and still use this knife as EDC.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 2, 2016
i will keep it simple purchased for 34.49. first impressions is about what i expected
pros: blade centered in handle, when open locks up tight no horizontal or vertical play.
blade as sharp as expected for this price.
grip is decent doesn't feel too cheap, feels solid.
good lock style, i dont really like liner or lock-back locks.
light weight. decent speed opening, easy to open one handed.

con: safety lock? why? the blade takes a tiny bit of force to open it, you cant shake it open. blade tip is well into the handle so dont think it
will get snagged. the lock is small, not convenient to unlock or lock, but isnt that half the point.
belt clip was a bit loose im sure i can tighten it up.
grip is a tad blocky but that probably contributes to its (non flimsy) feel.

overall good inexpensive Every Day Carry knife would recommend it.
on March 4, 2011
This is a nice everyday knife that gives you a big 3.5" blade and decent-sized handle at a very light 3.1oz. The pocket clip is a unique design that allows it to stay in your pocket inconspicuously, yet still allowing it to be removed easily. The blade comes sharp out of the box, and has a nice full flat-ground shape. It is also a good width and I prefer the smooth edge over a serrated combo-edge version. SOG needs to make the black TiNi version with a straight blade, I would prefer that version.

The handle is a bit strange-looking to me, but it allows people with bigger hands to get a full grip, although it is a bit too smooth IMO. I like the ease of the assisted-opening mechanism, but it is hard to close the knife with one hand. The lack of a steel liner keeps the weight down and is not needed as the handle material is durable enough.

The lock is a feature I won't usually need, and I don't like that it can be accidentally activated when carried. It would be a useful feature if you are afraid children might get their hands on this knife somehow.

Overall, for under $50 this knife is a good choice, it isn't too bulky and is light enough to carry frequently.
This would make a good knife for outdoor use camping or backpacking, and could also be carried as a threat deterrent if needed.
on February 25, 2010
I have been using the SOG Flash II for a month. I found out about the Flash II through the reviews on Amazon.com, starting with reviews of the Kershaw Skyline that referred to the SOG Flash I and then the reviews of the Flash I that made comparisons with the Flash II. Some reviews said that the Flash I was a little small, had a finger groove that did not quite fit, and a rattling lock, so, since the Flash II was less than $50 ($42.24 with free Super Saver shipping when I ordered it), had a bigger handle, had a new Arc Actuator lock, was only about 3.1 ounces in weight, and had a handle design that left enough space between the handle and the thumbstuds (similar to my Kershaw Storm II) that I thought I could actually use the thumbstuds to successfully open the blade (I usually have an easier time opening the blade with the flipper style opening designs), I decided to try the Flash II. I like the comfort of the handle, the weight of the knife, the sharpness and shape of the blade, and the ease of opening. With some knives, I have to grip the knife handle tightly and position my thumb carefully and push quite a bit to start getting the blade open. Not so with the Flash II. As one reviewer said on 10/8/2009, it "opens fast and hard feels like it could fly right out of your hand when opening it." When I held it loosely and pushed on the thumbstuds, my Flash II DID fly out of my hand -- fortunately, I was sitting down at the time (so the knife did not fall very far) and the knife landed flat on its side and did not hit my feet (and no one was watching me at the time).

In recent years, I have downsized my lockblade knives for everyday carry from the Buck Folding Hunter-Spyderco Endura-Kershaw Storm II size to 3-inch lockblade folders that are about 2.3 to 2.6 ounces in weight, so I did not buy the Flash II for everyday carry around the office. However, even though it is bigger than what I need around the office, I have been carrying it around the office and opening and closing it just to "practice" with it and become familiar with the different feel of the Flash II. I agree with the reviewer on 2/9/2009 who called it "a fun knife." It actually is light enough for everyday carry. I also carry a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife (usually, a Victorinox Executive to the office), so if I have to cut something in front of mixed and uncertain company in the office, I can pull out a little red-handled Swiss Army Knife instead of the Flash II.

The only problem I have had is with the low-carry bayonet pocket clip. I certainly wanted to try it, because most of the reviews that mentioned the low-carry clip reported very favorably about the low-carry clip design. One reviewer did say on 4/14/2009 that it was "hard to get off." Interestingly, the only SOG knife that I already owned was the SOG AutoClip -- the old version with a slot in the 3.5-inch lockblade but no thumbstuds -- that I bought because I liked the idea of having a pocket clip that could have its tension adjusted for pocket material of different thickness, but the metal clip of the Flash II is not adjustable. I am used to knives having a part sticking up above the pocket clip that can be grasped to pull the knife out of the pocket. With the low-carry pocket clip on my Flash II, I was grasping the knife with my thumb on the side of the handle inside my pocket and with my index finger ON the clip outside my pocket. Squeezing the thumb and the index finger resulted in additional pressure being placed on the clip against the pocket material and the knife handle -- the pocket material bunched up and withdrawal of the knife got hung up. Not a smooth draw from the pocket. I figured that I must be doing it wrong, so I sent a message to SOG asking what was the proper technique to use to pull the knife with the low-carry pocket clip smoothly out of the pocket. The SOG Warranty Administrator kindly replied as follows, "I grab the bottom of the clip with my forefinger and my thumb resting on the top of the knife that is sticking out, and when I pull up on it, I am slightly bending the clip out and pulling up at the same time." I tried that and found that lifting the clip (which is really stiff) minimized the bunching up of the pocket material and did make it easier to pull the knife out of the pocket. However, the edge of the clip dug into my index finger when my index finger alone was lifting the knife out of the pocket by the edge of the clip and it did not take long before my finger was sore -- wincing in pain is not what I wanted every time that I pulled my Flash II out of my pocket (I noticed that the low-carry clip on the SOG Aegis is designed differently, with the tip of the clip bent up and away from the knife handle, which would seem to be a better design for the technique of lifting the end of the clip without having the tip dig into the finger, so I might try the Aegis if one of its versions drops in price to below $50 -- Nutnfancy in his YouTube video review of an Aegis commented that he thought that the Flash II was "kinda goofy looking" but that the Aegis was a "beautiful knife" and "freaking awesome"). Furthermore, placing my thumb at the top of the knife did not provide much of a grip once the pocket clip cleared the pocket, and the knife slipped (fortunately, when it did slip, it fell INTO my pocket and not on the floor). So now when I grab my Flash II, I place my thumb on the top or back of the handle, my index finger at the end of the clip to lift it a little, and my middle finger on the bottom of the handle (the side where the blade is) and pull primarily with my thumb and middle finger pinching the top and bottom of the knife handle at its back end. There is less pressure on my index finger, so it hurts less, and the knife has not slipped out of my hand when I have used this three-finger (or thumb and two-finger, if you don't consider the thumb to be a finger) grip.

But in view of the difficulty I have had in pulling my Flash II out of my pocket when the pocket clip is engaged, I am not quite convinced about the value of the low-carry pocket clip design (at least the design of the clip on the Flash II, now that I noticed the difference in the design of the clip on the Aegis, which I have not tried, yet) -- if I was so concerned about someone noticing that I might have a knife clipped to my pocket, I would just put the entire knife inside my pocket.

UPDATE June 24, 2010: I received the SOG Aegis and have been carrying it. I prefer the clip on the Aegis. The Aegis' clip is bent upwards at the end and the clip seems to be more flexible (possibly because the point of contact with the handle for this clip is at the end, whereas the Flash II's clip has the point of contact closer to the middle of the clip), making it easier to withdraw the Aegis knife from various pants pockets that have material of varying thickness.

UPDATE July 10, 2010: I noticed a crack at the tip of the handle on my original SOG Aegis, so it was returned for a replacement. The clip on the replacement Aegis does not seem to be as flexible as I thought it was when I first received the Aegis. In addition, the Aegis has friction strips on the handle with raised letters "SOGSOGSOGSOG" that add more resistance against sliding the knife out of the pocket easily. Furthermore, the end of the handle is not as flared out as the handle on the Flash II, so it is difficult to use the three-fingered grip on the Aegis -- I have difficulty getting a grip that way. So now I just reach into my pocket, grab the knife, and yank it out of the pocket and do not bother trying to use the tip of the clip of either the Flash II or the Aegis. Time will tell what happens to my pockets. So whatever advantage the design of the clip on the Aegis might have had over the design of the clip on the Flash II appears to have been countered by other changes in the handle of the Aegis.
on November 9, 2016
Great knife! The steal is hard enough to hold an edge for quiet awhile with out being brittle like some of the other knives out there. The only thing I didn't like is the closed lock. It locks the blade in the closed position and it always locks when I don't want it to. I fixed mine by epoxying the lock so that it would never lock again. It's always ready to go!
on March 4, 2016
Love this knife. Its light, durable, slim and functional. Bought a second one after loosing my first blade after about a year.
Its worth every penny. It's not the most expensive knife I have but definetely the one I love the most. I always have it in my pocket and its so light and slim that I even forget, I have it with me.
Would recommend this blade to everyone. If it could stand 1 year of abuse and every day use, I call it quality.