- Use promo code NOVBOOK18 to save $5.00 when you spend $20.00 or more on Books offered by Amazon.com. Enter code NOVBOOK18 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
SOUL: A Chef's Culinary Evolution in 150 Recipes Hardcover – May 22, 2018
|New from||Used from|
$1.46 extra savings coupon applied at checkout.
Sorry. You are not eligible for this coupon.
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Special offers and product promotions
From the Publisher
Chicken Thighs and BBQ Beans
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons blended olive oil
- 1 pound dried white beans, soaked in water overnight
- 2 cups diced yellow onion (from 2 onions)
- 1 1⁄4 cups diced green bell pepper (from 2 bell peppers)
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery (about 2 stalks)
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed and minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 6 cups (48 ounces) chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons coarse-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
BBQ beans are a meal unto themselves. They have a meaty quality that absorbs bold ingredients such as Worcestershire sauce and red pepper flakes. Caramelizing the thighs in the same pan you’re going to cook the beans is essential to building the flavor of this dish.
1. Sprinkle the chicken thighs with 1 1⁄2 teaspoons of the salt and 1 teaspoon of the black pepper.
2. Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium. Sear the chicken thighs, skin side down, in the hot oil, until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Turn the chicken thighs over, and cook until browned, about 5 more minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan.
3. Add the beans, onions, bell peppers, celery, garlic, red pepper flakes, chicken stock, bay leaves, and fennel seeds to the pan; bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the beans are tender, about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Stir in the brown sugar, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, vinegar, and remaining 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt into the pan. Return the chicken thighs to the pan, and simmer until the chicken is done, about 10 minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaves.
5. Let stand for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1 teaspoon black pepper and scallions before serving.
To Drink: Bordeaux, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chianti Classico, honey wine, Northern Rhône red, red blend, Rioja Reserva, amber beers, light beers, hard ciders, coffee beverages, IPAs
Serve with: Green salads; braised or roasted vegetable dishes; smoked or roasted meats; rice dishes
From the Author
About the Author