Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Square Perfect 1040 SP2000 Backdrop Background Support Stand for Muslins Scenic Backdrops and Chromakey Green/Blue Screens
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on August 5, 2010
I am just getting into photography as a hobby and I didn't know really what to expect when it came to a backdrop stand. I did some research locally, online and a lot on amazon. I decided on this item because of the description of the materials and the construction (it's as advertised). I have been more then satisfied with the stands and crossbar, the stands sit solidly on their tripods and the crossbar supports a 10 foot wide backddrop without any bend or sag.

Everything fits together well, it is not difficult for one person to assemble (unassisted) and instructions were included, though really not necessary. Everything breaks down and stores nicely in a protective carrying case (included) and transports easily. I don't know if it would qualify for a professional, but it sure meets my needs and the price was excellant for the quality I received.
22 comments| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2012
This product is just so-so. I am not a photographer, my sister is and I bought this for her. It comes in a really sturdy carrying bag, and all the parts are good quality...they must be in order to survive my sister. The stands have springs inside to absorb the impact if you close the poles to fast. This is a feature I am told is usually only available on more expensive models. The 3 piece side extensions lock securely by turning the twist locks, and once snugged will not drop until you loosen them. The base provides a wide enough stance that they will not tip over without being so big you will be tripping on them constantly. The top rails are well made, being constructed of steel tubing and aluminum inserts. It was these aluminum inserts that dropped my rating to three stars. There are a total of four crossbars that slide together and a simple quarter turn is supposed to lock them in place. The two end bars worked fine, they only fit in their respective positions. The two middle bars were not manufactured correctly and would not turn to lock together. I did not return the product because it was something I could easily fix with a file and my sister did not want to wait for replacements. About 10 minutes and I had them working like they are supposed to.

Overall, my sister is very happy with this product (now that it has been fixed). If you get a set that was manufactured correctly they will provide years of use. They are sturdy enough to support even heavy canvas without collapsing or tipping over. They come apart easily for storage and transport in the included bag, and they assemble in about a minute.
However, if you get a bad set like I did and have no way to fix them yourself they will be almost useless.
on September 27, 2010
So I'm an amateur photographer, I don't have a ton of money and I need a backdrop support......hmmm lots of choices.....big difference in prices. Well from what I have seen from this setup so far I can say for my money this is exceptional. The stands are sturdy, spring loaded, and easy to set up. The stands and crossbars came neatly packaged in a nice carrying bag that held all of the pieces separately to prevent them from banging together. I would recommend this kit to anyone looking for a backdrop that is on a budget. Buy one !
on March 21, 2011
This stand is my second stand purchased from amazon. The first one was a different brand and was horrible. After returning it and looking more, I bought this one. This one is absolutely wonderful. It's extremely easy to set up. I am a 5'8" female and had no issues at all. It took maybe 5-10 mins. I would agree with other users that the bag is wonderful. Different departments for the bars and very well thought out.

If you are thinking about buying a photography stand, get this one. You won't be disappointed.
on January 5, 2011
This is an impressive item for the price. The duffel bag is cleverly designed and well made, and assembling the parts is straightforward. Unfortunately, however, one of my horizontal rods is defective and cannot be properly inserted into another rod. This renders the entire set-up unusable.

I have emailed the manufacturer (not the Amazon seller, but the manufacturer), and am hoping for a speedy resolution to this problem. I will update.

UPDATE: It has been almost 24 hours since I emailed Square Perfect (they do not provide a phone number, just an email address), and I have not heard anything back. I am a bit disappointed since it is the work-week, and it is not Christmas-time or some other holiday.

UPDATE: The manufacturer put me in touch with the seller. Even though we had some email glitches (no one's fault), we got things straightened out and I am waiting for a replacement piece to arrive. Overall very happy with the manufacturer's and seller's support.
on June 21, 2010
I purchased this background stand over 2 years ago and it still works like new. It is very sturdy, easy to set-up and break-down and is very portable. The carrying bag is well-constructed also, keeping each part from banging and scratching the other parts without additional wrapping. I was very impressed by the quality of this product especially given the amount of money I was able to spend at the time of purchase. I have recommended this stand to my photographer friends and promised they wouldn't be disappointed!
33 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This stand is simply outstanding. It is not without faults, which I will address in a bit, but overall outstanding and for the price it cannot be beat.

When I first was getting into studio photography I purchased a much more expensive and more known brand stand. It lasted through less than ten photo shoots before it fell apart. I tried other which I liked to varying degrees. Then, about 3 years ago I was doing a location shoot that required three backdrop setups so I came here to amazon looking for a less expensive alternative since I figured I would not be using it all that much after this one shoot. I found this square perfect and purchased two of them. For those of you who don't want to read my whole tedious review I will just say that these are my go-to stands for all on location shoots at this point.

These stands have everything the more expensive stands have and then some. The tripod legs are wide and stable. The tripod itself is air (spring) cushioned so that when you are raising or lowering the tripod you do not run the risk of getting your fingers smashed. If you have no experience with backdrop systems I can tell you that this is an amazing feature and could potentially save you from getting blood all over your nice set up when the poles come down and smash your precious little fingers. Usually this air cushioning is reserved for higher end systems.

The cross bar is perhaps this systems best and worst feature.... It is one of the most stable cross bars I've seen which makes it very very very good, BUT it is also one of the more finicky cross bars. Sometimes I fight with the sections to get them together. And when I have assistants setting up, forget it. They usually struggle to get it set up. But once set up, it is rock solid. When I have needed a slightly wider backdrop I have, at times, added a bar or two from my second set to make this 150." Yes there is an understandable bit of sag when I do this, but it remains solid and sturdy.

Finally, the carry bag. You wouldn't think that the carry bag is worth a mention in a review of a background stand, but this one is a thing of engineering beauty. The four poles have their place inside the back so they don't rattle around aimlessly getting their coating chipped, and the two tripods fit neatly into two tripod sleeves. The whole thing zips up into one tidy and tight little package with carrying straps. It is pretty remarkable.

It has been almost three years.... I have dragged this on all kinds of photo shoots hanging all kinds of backdrops and still it stands tall. I can definitely vouch for its durability!

BOTTOM LINE: I cannot recommend this highly enough
on August 27, 2013
One of the stands won't close down anymore, its stuck in the extended position. The plastic knob just rotates without being able to loosen the grip so i can close the stand down. Now its stuck in full extended position. I can't travel with it in this position.

I've only used this thing TWICe now and its just junk
on April 12, 2011
This backdrop Support Stand is much heavier duty than I was expecting for the price. It went together nice and was easy to figure out the first time. The case that comes with has a nice design, pockets for end stands and straps for all the supports. I searched high and low for the best value, I am just starting out with photography and dont have much money for all the necessities. Great item for the price! Only one downfall, it doesnt come with clamps for the backdrops (but I should've known this if I read through the desc carefully!).
on June 3, 2011
I was a bit confused in the beginning. I was unable to connect the bar. I got so upset I requested a return merchandise ticket. Also emailed the company, which contacted me the very next day. After spending more time with the item, I finally figured out how to connect the bar. Square Perfect was ready to take it back...I apologize for being puzzled challenge! After putting the item together it works just fine! I would recommend getting this item.
review image