Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One ft Vant GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 53 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 69 reviews
on October 2, 2012
"Becoming fully human is a great adventure - one that requires us to grow and stretch ourselves." So writes Cindy Wigglesworth at the opening of her book, SQ21: The Twenty-One Skills of Spiritual Intelligence.

In order to frame this review, it is necessary to identify this "great adventure" that we all share because it defines SQ as the ultimate aspiration of our human adventure, and thus the context for much of my work and my excitement about this book.

There are many models of adult human development. The one that I use most often in my work is borrowed and adapted from Sam Keen's wonderful book, The Passionate Life. In it, Keen suggests that adults evolve from being a dependent Child, to a counter-dependent Rebel, to a co-dependent Adult, to an independent Outlaw, to an inter-dependent Lover. These "stages of loving," as he refers to them, are the normal stages of the great human journey. For years I've targeted the end as the "Consciousness of Christ." Different traditions define it in their terms, but this is the one that is most familiar to me, and the people with whom I work as a therapist and consultant to family businesses. Whether it is Buddha nature, to be like Jesus, the Pope, Gandhi, Mother Teresa, Mohammed, Martin Luther King, Jr., Nelson Mandela, Thomas Merton... or to put on the Consciousness of Christ, it is the goal, the ultimate human aspiration of adult development.

The struggle I've had in my work has been with defining what the Consciousness of Christ means in the real world of home and work life. That struggle has been resolved with Wigglesworth's work on SQ. I can now say, with conviction, that the goal of adult human development is to become "spiritually intelligent," to develop the twenty-one skills of SQ. Importantly, I can say so in a faith neutral way so that no one religious tradition hijacks the spiritual journey.

Wigglesworth writes, "Spirituality, as I define it, is the innate human need to be connected to something larger than ourselves, something we consider to be divine or of exceptional nobility."

"Religion, as I define it, is a specific set of beliefs and practices, usually based on a sacred text, and represented by a community of people."

"Spiritual Intelligence, as distinct from both spirituality and religion, is a set of skills we develop over time, with practice.... It is the ability to behave with wisdom and compassion, while maintaining inner and outer peace, regardless of the situation."

Part 1 of Wigglesworth's book briefly addresses the call to become fully human. It then moves on to align SQ with the other intelligences of which we are familiar, such as Emotional Intelligence (EQ), mathematical, linguistic, kinesthetic, and so forth. SQ is the "master intelligence," for it builds upon PQ (physical intelligence), IQ, and EQ. The third part introduces the reader to the research method behind the SQ21.

Part 2 digs into the four quadrants and the 21 skills of SQ with a model that is built upon the four quadrants of Goleman's work with EQ. For those familiar with Ken Wilber's four quadrants, if you re-arrange Wigglesworth's quadrants, you find alignment with Wilber's model. The first quadrant in SQ focuses on developing awareness between one's Ego Self, and one's Higher Self. The next focuses on developing Universal Awareness. The third quadrant is about Self Mastery, and the fourth is about Social Mastery and Spiritual Presence. The quadrants identify 5, 6, 5, and then 5 more skills to make up the 21 of Spiritual Intelligence.

Part 3 supports the never-ending development of your SQ. Wigglesworth likens the whole process to weightlifting. She then offers nine steps that are recommended for shifting from the fear-based ego self to the more awakened Higher Self. The challenge, of course, is to normalize the development of these 21 skills into everyday life. Three exercises are offered to support the effort.

There are two Appendices; one is on the research methodology behind SQ, and the second is a helpful glossary of terms.

Let me say a word about leadership and SQ. There is evidence to support the assertion that the most mature leaders among us also have high Spiritual Intelligence. That is, those among us who truly lead us to more imaginative ways of thinking and being together as communities of life, are those who have transcended and included one stage of adult development, and then another, and then another, cultivating more Spiritual Intelligence along the way. Leaders, be they parents or presidents, would help us all if they developed more SQ.

And, who doesn't want to live with less drama at home, or in the workplace? The higher one's SQ, the less drama there is in life. Is it easy? Of course not. Is it worth it? The very quality of life, as individuals and as communities, seems to depend upon it.

Someday, a year or two from now, there will be room for a follow-up book, a field guide for applying the SQ21 personally, in relationships at home, and at work. I look forward to that. A lot of people will have to work at cultivating their Spiritual Intelligence, and then give Wigglesworth some feedback on tools, tips, and techniques for growing SQ.

Less drama and more wisdom. If the SQ21 helps, as it should, then we will all be better off.
on August 29, 2017
If you are in the market for another opportunity to train for business world leadership, this may be a viable tool. I find very little spiritual perspective by this particular author. I am sure I would be in the minority, but I simply am not in the market for learning effective ways to bend other people's will to my own. When I was active in the broader business world there were many reasons for learning to manipulate people without seeming to be overbearing. In my pseudo-retirement however, I prefer to just associate with people of similar predisposition. As I say, some people may find this approach very useful in their work-life.
UPDATE: for those adventurous souls curious about the realm of all Humanity, the book Spiritual Intelligence by Danah Zohar for me was a much better approach to looking at the the human Mind from the perspective of brain and how there is indeed a spiritual component to actual human anatomy... Also the Great Courses has a lecture by a neuroscientist, Andrew Newberg,The Spiritual Brain, which explains some of the physical interaction from our brain for a spiritual perspective, with the term *spiritual* reaching beyond personal faith or religion, but encompassing a sense of Oneness with the universe. I enjoyed this through Audible.
on April 8, 2013
Yes, you can be spiritual without going to church every Sunday! Spirit should be with us 24-7, not just a few hours a week. Organized religion has its place - it is perfect for joint outreach and social activities (and I personally love the music); but, among other things it is often not very diverse - the range of opinions often closely follow the perticular tenants of the group. That only makes sense. I, personaly, get the most out of my local black baptist services - again I love the music (especially live).

Now you have access to a book that provides a spiritual path that you can follow every minute of every day! This is a path of human potential GROWTH. If I had to come up with a single reason for my (or anyone's) existance here on planet earth it might just be the Hokey Pokey - just kidding! - it must be the hope that my indiviual spiritual/evolutionary/human growth will somehow benefit all of mankind. Maybe even leading to all of humanity reaching that next tipping point - to a trancendense of love over hate to put it most simply - a little tiny bit faster.

This book is maybe the best single source of information for the average joe like me to nudge that transformation along. I have been an active 'seeker' for over 40 years (from TM to Ken Wilber) and about the only thing I learned is: don't seek! Now I have a manual for a fresh path. If you need that fresh start, or even just a reason to live - start with this book. Best forever, -Ed-
on December 5, 2016
If you are an accountant type then you love the book. It not that I did not like the book. It's arguaous overlapping of skills that one still can't measure. The dirty little secret about this book is, it makes little sense buy/read if you have not taken her SQ21 online questionnaire. It costs nearly $200 to take her questionnaire. the second half of the book I enjoyed, in my humble opinion this book takes concepts like oneness and tries to disect it in parts that makes the reader more disoriented. There so many great books that can assist people but this not one!
on November 5, 2012
This is outstanding material and presentation of the necessary skills for a life well lived. Cindy Wigglesworth's SQ21 has been a find for me both personally and professionally. This truly is a wonderful marriage of psyche and spirit. Her foundation of 21 skills, ranging from our personal self into our collective and finally transcendent self is tremendously grounding and inspiring. Her definition of Spiritual Intelligence as "behaving with wisdom and compassion while maintaining inner and outer peace, regardless of the situation" has been an affirmation of my personal and professional work in this my "second half of life". With a deeply personal yet witty tone I found this read inviting and reflective.
As a psychotherapist and coach I have recommended this book to many of my clients with rave reviews. They too have found it helpful in providing a faith neutral foundation of skills and tools and often affirming of their own personal growth and life's journey. It has been a wonderful catalyst for deeper exploration and practice - an advanced teaching of Emotional Intelligence and Beyond.
Debora de la Cuesta LCSW
on April 24, 2016
Very high quality, exceptional work with a rational, academic and objective approach - yet deeply spiritually rooted (while being belief and religiously neutral) with a practical day-to-day real life layout of applicable skills that will no doubt, if consistently developed and applied, make the person and the world around them, a much better place to exist in. Thus far, I have purchased and given away about 15 copies, and counting. In my opinion, a must read for business and societal leaders in any capacity who already lead with their minds as much as with their heart, or for those who understand the value in attempting to do so.
on May 18, 2013
Of what does the human spirit consist? Can spiritual development be measured? Is it possible to intentionally develop human spirit? These questions are fundamental to a new book by Houstonian, Cindy Wigglesworth. The book - SQ21: The Twenty-one Skills of Spiritual Intelligence explores not only the measurement, but also the development of spiritual skills.

Initially I was skeptical that spirituality could be defined in concrete behavioral terms. But the more I read, the more I realized that careful definition, and measurement are possible and essential to marrying the spiritual and the scientific realms. In addition to bringing spiritual understanding and growth into the sphere of the psychological, SQ21 also demystifies religious dogma that insists that a particular path must be followed to spiritual growth (i.e., the rules of a particular religion). Instead SQ21 asks what are the spiritually enlightened humans of many different traditions like - how do they think, comprehend the world and act in the world? By analyzing enlightened humans we have goals for spiritual development.

Wigglesworth also took the developing psychology of intelligences as a model for her work. Specifically she saw that emotional intelligence is more complex than cognitive intelligence, but grew out of measurement of cognitive intelligence. Spiritual intelligence is, likewise, more complex that emotional intelligence - but can serve as a model for understanding ways to measure transcendent skills.

The first part of the book examines the idea of spiritual intelligence and outlines Wigglesworth's approach to measuring spiritual intelligence. Wigglesworth was not the first to write about spiritual intelligence, but is the first to bring it into the field of science. Using psychological models of defining a concept to be measured, careful item development and statistical analysis of the assessment, Wigglesworth has created a scientifically valid, consistent and reliable instrument.

The second part of the book examines the skills she has identified. She breaks the skills into quadrants. Quadrant 1 - Self awareness, Quadrant 2 - Awareness of the world, Quadrant 3 self-mastery, and Quadrant 4 social mastery and spiritual presence. Self awareness includes exploration of: Who am I in the world, what are my values, and "who is driving my life (ego or higher self)? The skills of the second quadrant are about awareness of the world. Wigglesworth blends multicultural awareness into this section, along with understanding of the interconnectedness of life, the limits of human perception and awareness of transcendent consciousness. In quadrant 3 and 4 Wigglesworth moves from awareness to applied skills. Abilities such as: sustaining faith, living your purpose and values, making wise and compassionate decisions are covered in this section. The first two parts of the book alone would be a sufficient contribution to the literature, but Wigglesworth adds a third.

Part three presents ideas for developing spiritual intelligence. This section has many ideas and exercises, but among the most profound is the simplest - the idea that the "Higher Self" and the "Ego" compete for personal energy. Developmentally humans start with ego - ego is concerned with survival and meeting immediate needs, so - it is easy to return to ego energy. But it is possible to move beyond the ego to one's higher self. The higher self is concerned about self and others, and about more than mere survival. Learning to identify when ego is in charge and working to move energy and consciousness to the higher self underlie the development process.

Wigglesworth admits that this book is not the final answer on understanding and developing spirituality. And it is not, but it has made bold steps in developing a vocabulary of spiritual skills, in measuring these skills, and offering ideas about how to develop the skills. Anyone interested in spiritual development will find SQ 21 highly stimulating.
on November 25, 2012
Cindy Wigglesworth has created a book that stewards spirituality smack into mainstream culture. Accessible and wise this book places the development Spiritual Intelligence gently into the hands of the reader with 21 practical skills. The musician and sage Sting wrote a song from his Police days titled: "Spirits in the Material World." Now, more than ever we need to discover and develop the wisdom in those words. Wigglesworth has created that book. No doubt this guide will become an indispensable desk reference for conscious coaches, consultants, therapists, teachers and leaders in every sphere of human endevor. This book is a Labor of Love.
on February 20, 2015
This book quickly became important to me because the methods/tools are easy to incorporate in one's life. Because of SQ 21, I am now much more able to quickly recover from things that tend to upset me and maintain my composure inwardly and outwardly. I have learned to recognize right away if something is going to become troubling (which is really important because it takes just seconds for us to escalate things) by paying attention to what's going on, acknowledging it and dealing with it by re-framing the issue for example. There's just lots of common sense and guidance throughout. Frankly, while there are many good books out there, I don't seem to incorporate the methods in my life. In short, SQ 21 is the only one that I've really been able to put to good use.
on November 16, 2012
If leadership were easy, there would be far fewer books telling us how to do it. And since there are so many, it's sometimes difficult to pick out one that really provides new knowledge or a fresh approach. SQ 21: The Twenty-One Skills of Spiritual Intelligence is that rare unique addition to the leadership bookshelf.

When you read the title, you might blanch at the word "spiritual" since it is usually related to religion, which because of its personal nature is rarely spoken of in the workplace. You will quickly see how the author defines "spiritual" in a way that anyone can feel comfortable with, and can understand why and how work relationships can be richer and more productive as a result. Packed with examples that enable the reader to grasp its concepts quickly, the book takes complex ideas and makes them usable.

Anyone who works in an organization, or needs to collaborate with other people--that would be all of us, wouldn't it?--can grow and learn from the information and self-exploration opportunities in Cindy Wigglesworth's book.