Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 65 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 66 reviews
on March 11, 2013
Oftentimes my readers and students in my class think they need to suffer though the SQL express edition as their low cost learning tool. Later they later discover they want to run the cool labs and practices to get really good and ready for the workplace. At this point part of you might wish for SQL Enterprise so you can do everything! But who has $16,000 for that full SQL 2012 enterprise edition?

Think of SQL 2012 Developer as SQL Enterprise for student prices. What a deal!!! On your stand-alone machine it does EVERYTHING the $16,000 version does for just $50. It all works in all features so practice away!! Can this be true? Well I read the entire EULA and if you promise not to install in a business production environment then Microsoft is basically giving you the $16,000 version for about $50. Bravo! I recommend this to all my students and readers as the way to go for learning SQL.
44 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 5, 2014
If you're in the market to purchse SQL Server Developer Edition, you probably already know all about it. But in case you don't, here's a disclaimer: THIS IS NOT LICENSED FOR COMMERCIAL USE. If you need an SQL backend for your new iPhone app, you're going to need the more expensive version.

That said, this software will do essentially everything the full version will, and it costs about 2% of the price. So if you're looking to practice using SQL server, or want to test the viability of an idea you have before committing it to the commercial level, this is a great purchase for you. It's also good if you just want to keep track of your household expenses.

I give it 4 stars because SQL Server doesn't play well with others, and if you have an older version of SQL Server in your registry somewhere, this program will throw a tantrum that prevents you from connecting to the database you just created. You need to do a full uninstall of all previous SQL servers before this will run effectively.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2014
Commercial Databases can run from 30 - 50 thousand dollars for a single installation. That's far beyond my price range just to try out some new features of the latest databases. Fortunately, I can try out my interface designs and database experiments on a modern full featured Microsoft Database for the cost of ten Starbucks coffees.

I have been interfacing my software to Databases for 17 years now and I need to keep up with the latest features. This package will allow me to test them on local and remote machines before I recommend them to a customer or have to spend all my time at his site experimenting with GIS data types or trying out my special version of array design inside a stored procedure.
Thanks Microsoft, I really needed this break for learning how to tune up your new design.
on June 12, 2014
Took a while for Microsoft to provide some things that seperate the men from the boys when it comes to database programming support (for example Sql Server didn't have structured exception handling until version 2005)

But since then we finally had what I would consider real competition vs. Oracle's programming environment (although as a career database programmer, I'd still rather use Oracle's environment).

50 Bucks for this tool is well worth it for learning, although I believe Oracle still provides a free download for _their_ database "Developer" version...
on October 27, 2013
As a Microsoft Partner I can get this through them, but it would cost more and they would not ship it for free for two days. This is the DVD developer version so it cannot be used to run a business, it's for development use only... limited users.

Thanks Amazon for getting it to fast and cheap like everything else!
on January 16, 2014
If you want to learn SQL Server and BI...then this is the best $50.00 you'll ever spend. If you know nothing about SQL Server then it's best to back yourself up with a how-to book. In my quest to learn, I tried using SQL Express originally, it was free and downloadable...but it doesn't give you the learning experience the developer edition does. The developer edition has enterprise edition functionality...it's just a great learning tool...and I can't understand why it's such a secret. If you truly want to learn SQL Server 2012...this software is your best bet.
on May 13, 2014
This is an essential tool for anyone messing with SQL Server; any version, not just 2012. This has all the tools one would need to develop a SQL Server based application. It allows a user to build and test SQL objects, jobs, SSIS, Reports or code in a safe manner that can mimic an actual live environment. I use it to build/test new apps on my local machine before moving them to an actual test server on the local network environment.

Well worth the cheap price.
on June 15, 2014
I already had an Evaluation copy. When I tried to install the Developer edition it wouldn't upgrade and there is no uninstall function. You literally have to uninstall each Evaluation component one piece at a time and then remove all references to this from the registry. If you've tried to install the Developer version, you have to remove what pieces did install before trying again. Once you get past that nightmare, you're good to go.
on May 6, 2014
I kept getting an error message, “Managed SQL Server Landing Page has stopped working”, and it said Windows is working on the problem which never happened. I looked for solutions on the web, tightened up my system, and still could not install it. I finally reverted to SQL 2008. I wasted our resources on this one.
on June 23, 2013
I purchased this product for an online college class and also because I had upgraded my laptop to Windows 8 and I wanted the newest version of this application. Price is right and I was very pleased with the installation. In previous versions, you have to know what the configurations are and set them correctly or it doesn't work. This one configures behind the scenes and fits much more closely with plug and play. While it takes a while to load, once loaded it is ready to use.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.