Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18PP_gno

SSX - Xbox 360
Platform: Xbox 360|Change

I purchased this game based on its many positive reviews on this site, as well as on the Gamespot and IGN websites. It seems almost everyone who has tried this game has enjoyed it, and having now played it myself with my kids, I can see why. The game has fantastic visuals, lots of action, spunky music and attitude, and a fair amount of customization. Another big appeal for many players will be the ability to let your creativity come into play as you shred down various mountain slopes. Much like a real slope, you can ski or board down it many times without ever having an identical trip. This game lets you takes advantage of many rails (improvised or placed), moguls, half-pipes, jumps and othe constructions to give each ride a unique experience. The number of individual trick combinations is huge, too, so anyone who plays the game will not only be playing against the computer but also against themselves, as they try to pul off new, unique, and extravagant trick combinations.

The game is challenging without being overly so. I have not attempted to play it online, but I'm sure that could be a fun ride, too. I would recommend this to any family with kids who enjoy any sort of skating or other sports. It's a fun game the whole family can enjoy.
on September 9, 2013
I love games like this where you do extreme sports and such. (games like skate, ssx, and ATV)
However, so many of these games focus on having such an online presence its annoying.

Ssx seems like it will provide me with many hours of fun, but I dont like how online multiplayer has become such a focus in these games. I really wanted there to be split screen, and I know i should have looked before buying, but overall this seems like itll be good.

Pros
-Not alot of money now that the game is a little older
-quick fun (No need to play for 3 hours straight)
-awesome slopes!

Cons
-no in room multiplayer

Overall I will like this game for quite a while, but I wont be playing it with friends.
on March 30, 2012
The first snowboard videogame I ever played was 1080 for the N64 (GRANT!) and it was glorious. When my parents got me a PS2 one year for Christmas they also got me the two best videogames I have ever played to this date: Jak and Daxter and SSX Tricky. SSX Tricky was like nothing I'd ever played before and it blew me away. The levels, the character personalities, the awesome tricks; the game was fantastic in its lack of realism and visuals and was a ton of fun.

SSX3, I thought, was a worthy sequel to the series. I liked the new mechanic of an entirely connected mountain, giving you the ability to ride from the top all the way to the bottom and not compete in anything at all. It almost felt like an open sandbox kind of game. I also loved the customization. You could completely personalize your character with different outfits and different Tricky tricks that you bought with your earnings from the events. The inclusion of a loose story was also cool in that it gave the player more motivation.

This newest release, SSX, is great in some respects but for me it lacks in a lot of the features that SSX3 had, and that's why I still prefer SSX3. The level design is gorgeous and realistic yes, but at the same time repetitive and too broken up. The lines can be fun, if you can find them, which admittedly I have a lot of trouble trying to do. The levels just don't have the same unique and fantastic feel that they had in Tricky and SSX 3. I do like that they keep the idea of a story and take it to a new level in this game. The world tour competition of the "Deadly Descents" is a great idea, and the fact that they give the player just one antagonist to focus on made the story more riveting. Their choice of Griff to be the main antagonist was a good one, as I have never liked him and always saw him as a little snot-nose punk. But this is where my praise ends.

My main gripe with this new game is the complete detachment I feel with any of the players of Team SSX. There is a total lack of customization of your character, and I did not like that you are forced to use every team member of SSX. I understand that this fits in with the story line, but I don't see a reason for it other than that. All of the characters feel the same during play, so it isn't a matter of trying to get the player to try them all out before they settle on one for the rest of the game. What made SSX3 so great for me was that I played from Peak 1 to Peak 3 with my favorite character (has been, is, and always will be Kaori Nishidake) and she was completely unique to me beginning to end from the stats I chose, the tricks I bought, and the outfit I customized. I felt a personal connection! The same goes for the second playthrough with Psymon, and the third with Zoe! I cannot say I felt the same enthusiasm or connection to any character in the new SSX. The lack of customization is very disappointing, and even a little lazy on EA's part.

Even though I never cared for the new characters SSX tried to implement, I at least remember Allegra, Viggo and Nate from SSX 3. I just now had to look up Tane, Alex and Ty to remember their names. Maybe it's just me, but I found them to be extremely forgettable and inconsequential. Tane and Ty might as well be the same person, and Alex is just an Elise wannabe. The fact that I had to play as them made me dislike them even more, and I found myself aching to be done with those Deadly Descents.

Speaking of which, the only Deadly Descent I can say I truly enjoyed was the "Gravity" one. The implementation of the wingsuit is very, very cool. I only wish that every deadly descent involved the wingsuit. The "Darkness" Deadly Descent with the headlamp is very challenging, but in a fun way. And I'm very happy that they include the wingsuit with it at Mt. Kilimanjaro. However, while the rest of the Deadly Descents were all unique and provided some variation in gameplay, I cannot say I particularly enjoyed any of them.

My final gripe is that despite the fact that SSX is and always has been a snowboard game, for some reason the snowboards are never the focus. Admittedly, I have not played the original SSX, SSX On Tour, or SSX Blur. But judging from Tricky, 3, and the newest installment, there is very little attention payed to the object the entire franchise is based on. Nothing is done to make the snowboards stand out. The graphics are always boring and never unique, nor can the player ever see a closeup of the snowboard. In the newest SSX, they raise the generic bar by randomizing the stats and naming everything "Rocket Board," "Trick Board," "Speed Board," or "All-Around Board" and throw a "rare" or "unique" in front of it to designate better than average stats. SSX Tricky is an exception in that each character had their own unique boards with names and graphics that matched the personalities of the character. SSX 3 at least kept the unique names, but the trend seems to be taking the spotlight off of the snowboard. I understand that in a game with no room for realism, it might not be as important to develop the snowboard as it is other features like character and level design, but at heart it is a snowboarding game, so some attention should be payed to the snowboard.

I apologize for the wordy review, I even had to cut it short. I had fun playing this game, but I've always been an avid fan of the SSX franchise and I was sincerely disappointed in this new one, so I felt I needed to voice my opinion. I'll most likely return to SSX 3, which I believe to be the best in the series. As far as I'm concerned however, there is no game in the industry quite like SSX, and it still goes down in my book as the best snowboard game out there, and one of the best franchises I've ever played.
on May 10, 2012
Finally. A true SSX sequel. It's been years since SSX Tricky and SSX 3. Though this reboot isn't as over-the-top as Tricky and doesn't offer the open-mountain exploration of 3, it's still enjoyable. The number one complaint about this game is a new mode called 'Survive It' where you have to brave a natural peril and come out alive. Though this a huge break from the original SSX formula, it's fun to play and offers a sense of variety, which is greatly needed. My only problem with this game is the AI during the story mode. The racing times and trick scores you have to beat aren't set in stone, but instead are graded to your skill level. You can start off a trick event and just from doing a simple backflip, your opponent(s) can have 30,000 points (which is a lot). This makes retrying some tracks a necessity. The greatest new feature in this game is the addition of Global Events. SSX doesn't feature standard multiplayer; it's set-up in an asynchronous fashion. You can buy-in to races on any track on the map, and compete against thousands of people around the world. Each event has an expiration date, and once it's reached you are rewarded a certain amount of credits depending on your final standing. This is all done by RiderNet; SSX's way of keeping track of your stats. When you ride any track in Explore mode, your run is automatically uploaded to RiderNet. So when a person on your Friends List rides that track, they can race against your ghost even if you're offline.

Overall SSX is a fun game. If you've never played the series, this is a good jumping-on point. If you're a veteran of the franchise, the over the top tricks and speed are back. The most obvious difference is the tracks are somewhat realistic but still feature extended rails, huge air, and now have natural hazards.
on July 10, 2013
UPDATE 1/2016: I spoke too soon. After a few years of letting it collect dust, I played it today. I soon remembered why I stopped playing it years a ago.

Whenever games make you frustrated beyond belief, you wasted your money.

This is too difficult to where it isn't fun. I love challenges and I was able to get gold medals in most drops, but I wouldn't want to play the drops again. Unlike other games where you get the best score for each track, you would be interested to see if you want to beat your own high score. But not here, once you get gold, you don't want to play it again because how insanely hard the tracks are.

Those nasty awful impossible tracks. Hard to memorize. Tracks are too difficult to comprehend. I love it how they put hidden cracks in the earth everywhere, but you don't notice them until it's too late. They have ramps that lead you into bottomless pits.

Not sure about the amount of tricks? I guess you do the same 6 moves? I dunno. Am I missing something?

Many tracks require you to use gear items to survive like using ice picks, wing suits and other gimmicky ideas. Good luck trying to get a gold medal in tricks, it will take lots of hours for some tracks. When you are trying to do 5 things at the same time on ice, while you're slipping and sliding off the cliff every 5 seconds, hitting rewind button. If you buy this game, have fun with the wingsuit tracks. lol. When or if you get to level 10 for your characters, you will be able to get a level 10 wingsuit which makes life easier. The other toys, such as the headlight isn't that helpful in dark caves and run out. I can snowboard in the darkness without the flash light, as long as you follow the trails lights..

Rewind is really another gimmick. They don't respawn u near by after crashing, instead u must rewind or it's game over and on to the loading screen. After rewinding, sometimes you can't control your snowboarder and your buttons won't work. Glitchy.

The game almost feels fixed. When I'm about to get 1st place or finish the track. For instance, when I have to use my wingsuit to fly over a pit, suddenly, out of the blue, the wind blows downward like some vortex and there is nothing I do. I crash and it's game over. It never happens, but only when or if I'm in first. Strange things like happen. I rewind it over and over and no result. I just quit.

I've been playing games since the 80s where games were very hard, but those games didn't get me frustrated like this one. I love challenges, but this game frustrating because it is not fair. I bought SSX so I wouldn't get as frustrated like anyone would playing more hardscore titles. It's like if Nintendo stripped their Mario Kart franchise down by having nothing but courses with no guard rails and pits everywhere. This game is not a 10 out 10 like ign and other sites claim. If they would NOT use tracks based nasa earth images and make them like the previous games, it could have been something special. Overall, it is a complete mess.

They may have destroyed or seriously set this franchise back. This game is an embarrassment to SSX Tricky & SSX 3.
VINE VOICEon October 17, 2013
My family and I have loved SSX since Tricky on the GameCube. We love the tricks, the scoring, the characters, everything. And this game has all of that. Same people, similar tricks, same game system. Some new stuff (like the dangerous peaks) but very similar. And we love that.

But why no multiplayer? Seriously. Even two player split screen would have been amazing. Why can't we race? 5 stars easy if this was fixed. But EA has been doing this recently on it's formely BIG titles like Skate 3 and SSX. One player only, which is not as much fun for families on one Xbox. Add split screen EA!
on July 21, 2014
A great throwback to the days when SSX was about goofy characters sliding down a mountain. Stupid mechanics from On Tour and the monstrosity released on Wii have been removed. New mechanics (e.g. ice axes, rewinding, death) add fun elements to the game without distracting from the simple joy of doing insane tricks in beautiful settings. The game does look amazing. I must caution buyers to the excessive dubstep. You will need to load your own music into this thing if you hate our most recent trend in electronic music innovation.
on December 31, 2014
I purchased this because I was a huge fan of SSX Tricky for the PS2 and 360. There is no doubt that this is a fun and entertaining game. The only reason it doesn't live up to Tricky (imo) is that the controls are a little - too - complicated. I'm a fairly enthusiastic gamer and still young enough to adapt easily, but I found the gameplay a little trickier than I prefer. Many people will disagree, but if you are looking for a game that young children can play, or a very casual gamer, you may want to reconsider.
on December 16, 2016
I bought this for my son's 12th birthday. I was looking for a game that wasn't just about shooting and killing. He is hard to shop for as he is picky but he absolutely loved this game. I would recommend it. The only bummer is without Xbox live, it is just a one player game.
on June 20, 2016
I was worried about buying a game used and took a chance that definition paid off! Took me right back to childhood. The disk is flawless and the box looks great as well.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.