Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 291 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 298 reviews
on September 22, 2015
Quite decent light stands for the price. I am not sure the listing mentions that these stands are actually spring loaded but they are and so for 25-30 bucks each that is not a bad thing. These are light weight stands but feel that they have some longevity to them. When you spread them out they have a very good feel of stability. All the connection points are metallic of some kind. Only the knob for locking the legs is plastic. Now the knobs for the two sections are fully metallic and the handy thing is that they loosen completed by 90 degree turn and then when you want to tighten it is another 90 degree turn. These are firm and almost a detent feel of a turn. .. not loose and sloppy. Quite good. The connection point to the top is your standard 1/4 20 thread. Don't think it flips around to reveal another thread section. All in all I would say these are the bargain of the century. I think you are going to pay double just for an air cushion model. The springs will more than suffice and certainly better to have TWO stands than ONE. The plastic bag smells of cheap china plastic but I am sure it will be okay for a couple years. I think this kind of bag will dry up and crack over time but new it seems pretty decent. How can you complain? I see no flaws to these stands whatsoever.
Using these for light stands in both indoor and outdoor "studio" situations. I say studio in parenthesis as it is a giant set up for taking portraits of horses against a 20' wide drop. I use pretty heavy lights with umbrellas. Despite being weighted down, they have blown over and there is no injury to the stands. I use a 12' version for my backdrop that is exactly the same as these, only taller. I've yet to have enough weight on them to case them to slide down when locked, the legs do not slide when locked either. They come with carry cases that while aren't the sturdiest, I've been using the ones with the larger stands for several years now and if careful, they last just fine. These are the same bags, so I have no doubt if careful when I zip them that they should last years.
on April 30, 2010
Disregard the negative reviews, one by a purchaser who did not know how to use the product, and another by a person who received the wrong product (Amazon always makes good on such situations).

These stand arrived exactly as advertised--plus the bonus carrying cases!

I use these stands for lightweight studio work, such as holding an extra light, supporting a flash unit (with or without umbrella), or holding the camera itself. They are stable, and easy to use.

The stationary head built into the top is a 5/8" wide, short chrome column with screw threads (male) that will fit camera or flash. For flexibility and maximum convenience, you will probably want to add some type of adapter: I use the Manfrotto 026 Swivel Lite-Tite Umbrella Adapter (which costs a lot more than the stands themselves).

These are not quite as strong or as tall as the stand that comes with the Westcott Spiderlite Td-5, but even better than the Spiderlite stand, they're equipped with quarter-turn knobs and the risers are spring loaded to protect anything attached to the head. Also, they have a decent and highly adjustable footprint (see photos).

By the way, the footprint is variable to a much smaller size than one might think. By using an Allen wrench (aka "hex wrench"), you can loosen the bottom main casting (where the leg braces attach). Now, slide that up to nestle directly beneath the top main casting to create a very small footprint (photo).

These stands collapse to a reasonable size and each comes with its own carry bag--most convenient! They are certainly steady enough (yet light enough) for regular portable use.

When these arrived the shipping box was open, but nothing was damaged or missing.
review image review image review image review image review image
on October 4, 2016
I Received the Friday Build, Smile, well after purchasing an 8mm screwdriver tip, i tighten the self locking screws that were loose and it is an excellent Value.
absolutely tall enough is what i needed.
quite impress, don't tell anyone or they may increase the price before i get my next set.
enjoy!
on January 7, 2013
i would buy these again.

i REALLY like the metal tighteners that hold the stands height poles. a 90 degree turn is all it takes to tighten/loosen.

the poles are spring cushioned which i like over no cushioning and is more than enough for the alienbee 1600 strobe and 50" softbox i have mounted on one stand. i do have air-cushioned stands on my wish list.

the other stand holds one of 2 hotshoe flashes and I use a different brand boom/stand for the 2nd flash.

the knob that controls the legs seems a bit close to the stand so i find I rub my fingertips against the 2 legs surrounding it. not a huge issue just not the BEST. the knob is plastic and could stand to be 1/4" deeper? to get a better grip when turning. overall not a deal breaker.

I like the PBL light stands so much, PBL will be my first choice when i decide to buy a backdrop kit to use in addition to the foamcore v-flats i currently use.
This is an update to my review and an increase in the star rating. I had some issues with the latch system from the beginning that forced me to knock off stars for overall quality. After much frustration with the stands, I ended up tightening the Bolts near the latches and fixed the rotation issue. Still, the products shouldn't ship like this, IMO. I really don't like the latching option they used. It's a lever type and I don't think they provide any additional advantage aside from speed. On a C-Stand, you can tighten them down more firmly, but not with these.
on May 15, 2017
The items work great and I love the portability. I originally bought the 10' light stands but found I couldn't find a proper light stand bag that holds those sizes. So I figured I may as well buy the lesser size.

So far I'm pleased. I was able to find a decent sized bag that could handle holding these two stands. I'm pretty happy.
on September 19, 2016
Pro light stands indeed - super well made - much bigger & heavier than I imagined so they will stay in my studio as I have lighter stands for location shoots. Purchased along with 'Cowboy Studio Umbrella Mount Bracket with Swivel Tilt'...great combo!
on September 18, 2016
I wanted to like these but they failed the first time i used them . Both on the 7'6" set and the 9 foot set I purchased. The locking system is metal but inefficiently designed. they are very sturdy stands but the clamps lost the ability to tighten the poles and therefore be useful. Happened on a job and luckily had gaff tape to hold my super light LED panel up at the level I needed,
on December 27, 2016
Not happy. Couldn't get these on prime so I had to wait until the 11th hour. And what shows up? Stand 1 is missing one of the base nuts to hold the tripod mounts. The top neck screw (very top, not one of the collars) is stripped out and the white plastic pieces won't secure themselves to it. Stand 2 is simply missing one of the two white plastic protection mounts.

They're not nearly as heavy duty as I would have thought, though had they arrived in good condition, they would be worth the price.