Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Josh Too and the conflicts Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating PSFF17_gno
Customer Discussions > XCOM: Enemy Unknown [Download] forum

STEAM really isn't all that bad

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 11, 2012, 12:59:15 AM PDT
I know some people hate the fact that they have to use STEAM to play the game. But STEAM is actually pretty awesome. I have saved so much money from buying games on steam it's not even funny. They always have awesome deals, keep the games up to date, does not bog down my computer at all. Their customer service from what I have experinced was always very professional and fast. You can run STEAM in offline mode so you can play your games while not connected to the internet. I think people are being a little too critical on it.

Posted on Oct 12, 2012, 5:37:35 PM PDT
waterbowl says:
How are people too critical? People have a choice not to use it, just as you have a choice to like it.

The problems it has and the problems it will cause, as well as the reasons to not like it, have all been mentioned many times before, no need to repeat it here. It's draconian DRM that is becoming a monopoly on almost every new game that comes out now. Do you realize how insulting it is to a human being to have to ask someone else to use a product you buy? If you know history, you will understand what that means.

Why not have a choice? You like Steam, then buy it on Steam, for the rest, why not let them play it without Steam. As I recall, people did not like Windows trying to monopolize it's way onto computers. Imagine a world without other OS'. Imagine a world without choice.

Till I get that choice, I will not purchase new games like this that force Steam on me.

Posted on Oct 18, 2012, 2:57:28 PM PDT
Tablet says:
Windows DOES have a monopoly on OSes. Linux was made by people who wanted another option... but good luck finding one in a brick and mortar. Apple is the only, high market share OS, and they made everything proprietary so it's a pain in the ass to do anything yourself on your crapbook.

Posted on Oct 21, 2012, 8:52:32 PM PDT
K. Edens says:
I must say I do like a lot of the features steam offers.. BUT I firmly disagree with the forced use of Steam. It really should be like it is for the games I've bought through Humble Bundle on ALL game releases. With Humble Bundle you get a DRM installer of your game (On all 3 major platforms) that you can play to your hearts content. BUT if you WANT to utilize some of the features on STEAM you can request a STEAM CODE on the download page for your game and it generates in a matter of seconds and then allows you to activate the product on STEAM. The best part is that the steam install does not affect your standalone install. You should have the option to activate any game you buy that steam supports on their platform, but not FORCED to. I love many of Steams features.. but don't feel it should be forced especially when you buy the game in a Brick and Mortar store.

Posted on Oct 22, 2012, 8:14:40 AM PDT
techmannn says:
Dustin, off line mode sounds great except you have to be online in order to go into offline mode. Wait until you forget to do that on your laptop and then you're on the plane or whatever. No games for you....

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013, 1:27:50 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 7, 2013, 1:27:59 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2013, 5:10:56 AM PST
jacksons98 says:
@techmann I know this is kind've old now, but I just wanted to chime in. What you wrote is wrong. I have nearly all my games activated thru steam. You do not have to be online to play your games. You only have to be online to download the game. Once it is on your PC you are pretty much good to go.
I know because on my main PC Steam always boots before my connection to the internet is made and it always starts in offline mode. I'm able to play in this mode.

Posted on May 28, 2013, 10:40:59 AM PDT
T. M. says:
Correct.^ It's not a forced, "always on" service. Just to activate/download, then you're free to play offline which I do most of the time. The games are forever stored to your account.

It's a great service, one that Valve has taken the time to listen, adjust and improve to accommodate the gaming community. Try to find a respectable gaming commentator on youtube that doesn't use the service or is openly against it. It's how I often find out about the deals on Steam or Amazon.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Oct 11, 2012
Latest post:  May 28, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about