Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon startrek startrek startrek  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on April 26, 2013
Most users may not notice much of a difference between SUNWAYFOTO & RRS. They appear much the same as well as function the same. Both are Arca QR compatible. Both are made from strong, but light weight, aluminum.

The substantial advantage in price goes to SUNWAYFOTO.

There are distinctions in favor of RRS: The RRS L-plate comes with 5 year guarantee and is black anodized whereas this one appears to be painted--although I have not noticed any scratches yet. I respect RRS for its quality and have many of its products including one L-plate for another model.

Overall, I recommend SUNWAYFOTO, with one reservation, although you may draw a different conclusion. I reduced my rating by one star because of an apparent design oversight. RRS L-plates include centering index marks for both portrait and landscape orientation. These marks precisely indicate the center of the lens. For some odd reason SUNWAYFOTO omitted the portrait centering mark. If you are doing panoramic photos this is significant to restrict ghosting and other problems associated with making multiple shots that will later be stitched together. For anything else, it is not necessarily critical.

PS On two occasions, the merchant selling these on Amazon was most helpful and responsive--as good as Amazon--and that is a very high compliment to give it.
on April 15, 2014
I've usually purchased Really Right Stuff brackets. I have an RRS on one of my Nikon D800 bodies, and decided to add a bracket to my second D800 body. Since this camera is a spare, I decided to try the Sunwayfoto, based on price. Overall, it is pretty good. But there is a sharp (not like it will cut you, but uncomfortable) edge on the lower front. I hold my camera with my left hand palm up, forming a platform. The sharp edge sits right on my hand, so it is not as comfortable as the RRS bracket. It is not a deal breaker - it is just slightly annoying. For this reason, I prefer the RRS. If it started to annoy me more, I'll smooth it with a file. But for now, it is not enough of an annoyance to bother with.

If money is not an object, get the RRS. But if you're on a budget, this is pretty darn good at a great price.
on November 2, 2015
This is a solid product, especially for the price. This has lived on my D800E from day 1, and it's shown no hint of budging in the year and a half I've owned it. The lip on the front keeps any torque from loosening the screw, and the product itself feels rock-solid, certainly as good as any name-brand gear I own. The usual advantage that brands like RRS have in this type of gear is in smoothness of operation, but for an L-bracket, this doesn't really apply.

The one problem I have, as stated in several other reviews, is that there is no sensor centering mark for portrait orientation. I'm beginning to shoot more panos, and this is a curious omission, especially since the bracket has the mark for landscape orientation.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 10, 2014
This is probably the best photography accessory I've ever purchased. I use a tripod and handheld stabilizer for work, and switching between them was a huge pain. I've seen other ARCA swiss mounts but the sunwayfoto is sturdy and precise. And the markings on the bottom of the mount make balancing my camera a breeze. Something I haven't seen on other mounts of a similar nature.

My only complaint is that the mount doesn't leave enough room to open the port door on the left side of my d800, but it's soft plastic and I can pop it out with my key. Otherwise I couldn't be happier.
on April 5, 2013
I am impressed with the quality, as well as the fit and finish of this l bracket for my Nikon D800. I am utilizing a Really Right Stuff B30 ball head and full size AS11 clamp.mounted on a Gitzo GT1530 tripod. The combination is extremely stable and light weight. I take my gear on climbs and trails frequently. The SUNWAYFOTO PNL-D800 L plate has zero tolerance, and keeps my camera steady even when using a 400 mm lens. this is a high quality product that I would highly recommend.
on June 21, 2013
As of June 20, 2013
WOW. When I opened the Amazon box, I was expecting to find a few pieces of aluminum, allen wrenches and screws in a zip lock baggie. But, I was pleasantly surprised to find the L-Bracket packaged in a nice cardboard box inside its own custom-cut foam block. There is even a nice piece of padding glued to the inside of the box lid so that your L-bracket won't get scratched up during transit. Seems like a thoughtful touch!

NOTES
- Fits perfectly on the body.
- There is an engraved center mark for the landscape (horizontal) position but not for the portrait (vertical) position.
- The L-bracket is threaded like most other mounting plates
- Four additional screws are included so that you can put 2 in the horizontal and 2 in the vertical position to act as stops ...
- No idea how it will fit if you have an external battery attached to the body. Maybe the others who have purchased can chime in on that.

Update
- On my sample, it is not possible to open the left access panel, if the mount is attached with the center mark aligned in the middle.
If you mount the bracket offset slightly, you can access the side panel, but then your center mark is no longer center.
This affects the side panel which contains the jacks for the microphone, HDMI, headphones and USB ports.
Minus one star; design should be modified - not a deal breaker though.
on January 1, 2014
For a quick release on the tripod going from portrait to landscape, this device is indispensable. Quality and the finish are excellent, I have used it with my 70-200 attached to the camera, without any problem, although this is not the best way to attach this lens/camera set-up to the tripod (attach the lens to the tripod with the camera attached to the lens is better.)
on November 11, 2015
No way to open side lid with your finger, but I personally never use it so I don't mind. Great bang for the buck.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 2, 2013
Good cost effective alternative to more popular brands. All Sunway L plates I have bought have lived up to expectation.
on December 2, 2012
Since I have a Really Right Stuff L-plate for my D700 which I don't really like, I wanted to order a different brand for my D800. I searched the internet and found Sunwayfoto PNL-D800. I am suprised to find that this L-plate is much more secure.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.