|Print List Price:||$5.99|
Random House LLC
Price set by seller.
Sackett's Land (Sacketts Book 1) Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 208 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Switch back and forth between reading the Kindle book and listening to the Audible book with Whispersync for Voice. Add the Audible book for a reduced price of $7.49 when you buy the Kindle book.
See the Best Books of the Month
Want to know our Editors' picks for the best books of the month? Browse Best Books of the Month, featuring our favorite new books in more than a dozen categories.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
However, if you are going to start a work that is akin to the Icelandic sagas, you have to start somewhere as an anchor and this is an appropriate place and time. It is just not the best of the Sackett series. I would not skip it in favor for books later in the series, only know that better lies a little further down the road.
The book reads as if written for young readers or those who enjoy being swept along without much regard to plausibility or depth of character, the two areas I found lacking. Barnabas Sackett was entirely too fortunate in his pick of playmates. Jublain, who without any lead-in, immediately becomes Barnabas' BFF. One would think Barnabas would at the very least ask him who he is and why he was helping. Why was Jublain's horse stashed in the woods? How did Rupert know where to find Barnabas in the fens? Questions without answers. Outnumbered and outgunned heroes always prevailed, escaping with mere scratches or torn shirt sleeves, and always finding the most perfect of hiding places.That the characters were a bit shallow is fine, though, with this type of story. The story is driven along by the plot and not any underlying subtext or angst pulling at the characters.
Regardless of the above issues, I enjoyed this fun and fast read.
This is the story of Barnabas, the grand-sire of The Sackett legacy, and how forces beyond his control wrangled the young man from the English fens to set him on the western path to America.
An evolved dime-novel with fast-paced action and a hero whose can-do attitude always helps him win. L'Amour never intended to write literary wonders but told stories reminiscent of campfire tales or oral folklore. Sometimes outrageous and requiring suspended disbelief, this is a foray into pure imagination of bygone times.
It's hard not to like L'Amour's book. This one, filled with adventure, continually moved. Sometimes I found myself wondering what's going on and had to go back because I missed a key sentence.
Sackett, like so many of L'Amour's characters, is loyal. He never backed down from a fight, which there were a lot of them in this read.
It's a tough new land and Sackett intends on conquering it. I look forward to the next books, hoping the next one has a little more time on the ocean.
Most of his stories read like short stories and are quick reads. This one was no exception. He spends little time detailing looks or fashions, but on character and setting a time and a place. At times you feel like you are right there.
Most recent customer reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thriller & Suspense
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Romance
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Family Saga
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Historical
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Westerns
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Romance
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Sagas
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Westerns > Louis L'Amour
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Historical Fiction > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult