BCA Month Salon Beauty Best Books of the Month Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now HTL17_gno

Safe Haven
Format: Hardcover|Change

on May 8, 2017
It would be easy to declare the plot line cliché and predicable, but in the end it didn't matter. Sometimes a story bases on "simple and charming" are all that's required. This book moves along well and the characters are likable and easy to root for. The ending is clever and heartwarming. It leaves the reader satisfied that all is well and loves always prevails.
on January 6, 2013
First, I should say that I primarily read historical fiction. I don't often read contemporary stories, however I have enjoyed Nicholas Sparks work in the past.

Alex and Katie were good, if not a tad bit boring, characters. I liked them both, even if Alex was a little TOO perfect, and rooted for them. Kevin was a bad guy. I disagree with other reviewers who found him stereotypical and repetitive. As a mental health professional, I read his portions with a sense of mania that rang true for me. One reviewer disliked the repetitive "He was a good detective" line. For me, it spoke with Kevin's desperation and lack of a grip on reality... he clung to his belief that he was a good detective, despite evidence to the contrary and an obvious descent into madness.

I enjoyed Katie's learning to trust and enjoy simple pleasures again. The end was suspenseful to me (if not a bit long), and I could picture the scenes in my mind's eye. Overall, I liked the story. I did think "love" happened too quickly, and parts of the story were too wordy for me.
on June 17, 2017
I have to say I like the movie so much better and I don't often say that. I feel like the book and the movie are distant cousins - barely related. But that it's the conundrum of books to movies isn't it? I think the movie could have been left closer to the book and then neither would be a disappointment.
on May 12, 2017
I am a huge Nicholas Sparks fan and have read all of his books. I have felt mad, happy, and sad, with some of his books, but they are all amazing. I think this is one of his best. DO NOT peek at the ending of this one. I have a friend that does this and to me it ruins the entire book....any book, but holds true especially for this one. I will not go into the story, as some do on here, because again that can ruin it. You will not be disappointed in Safe Haven. Many conflicts and battles within the characters, and you will most likely relate to at least one of them. Again the ending is awesome. This is one you will remember, I know I will. Sparks just keeps getting better and better.
on March 31, 2013
When you don't have any family to turn to and you think your in this world by yourself you still have to keep strength to keep moving on.This woman is treated so badly by her husband that is a detective, so why would anyone give her the time of day and belive her story? The big house, nice clothes, shoes, that should be all we need right? She makes a brake for it but her husband is really good at his job. Little does she know there is another good kind, caring detective out there that can read all the signs. There are children envolved that makes her get a little relaxed and distracted (comfort is a wonderful sense of calm). This is when the strength and unknown power pours out of her. Never under estimate the power of little women. It was a page turner of action and suspence and love all in one.
on February 24, 2013
I have never read a book by Nicholas Sparks and have always been told that the movies made about his book are so much better than the actual book. I have not seen the movie Safe Haven, but I do feel that what I was told will be true. The book had a good story, but for me it just wasn't great. I felt that the author spent more time focusing on describing what the sky looked like or details about the food that he neglected the emotions of the romance. Its like on minute Alex and Katie were chatting then next they were in love. I just didn't feel the emotional passion between the characters. That being said he did a great job letting the reader see into the head of Kevin and how crazed he really was. So in a nut shell, it was an ok book, not great just ok.
on July 30, 2014
Great story....It reflects great lives and nice and loving people do have moments and situations that make them look like jerks as and liars and filth! Yet if one has that guts to stay close and really understand why people seem to do such shady things to exist in a life that that's been dealt to them so they can survive and live again to be the very best that person can only comes with the help of the other person that doubted enough to almost give up the relationship. It takes that effort to get through what life deals us even the readers. We have those situations in our life and without the friend staying to help, when just moments before they almost left thinking the worst yet their staying working with us helps us then learn to save ourself and find our true life path that often includes true love and within it and our opportunity for life is back! Without another's help, or effort to understand and eventual love beyond any...we too would go down just like the evil cop / husband. It wouldn't matter how hard we try on our own. That's why people like this book and others like it, because it happening to us in our own way and without learning from a book like this to find that help from someone close that we first don't notice around us we can't find a fulfilling life or the way out of the situation! We can learn how to take the chance to find our own way by watching these two strangers learn to trust , love and help each other.
on June 27, 2013
I thought this was a great love story, but also a great story about a woman recovering from and overcoming an abusive relationship. As I read, I thought women really go through this type of abuse and it was good to read a story where the woman was able to break free and eventually live a god life. I thought the movie should have stayed true to the book to show her strength and selflessness in the face of danger.

I do think Julianne Hough was a good choice actress based on the character in the book and of course, you can never go wrong with Josh Duhamel.
on November 19, 2014
This is the first Nicholas Sparks novel I've ever read and I enjoyed it, but I expected more being that he is such a popular author. That was probably wrong of me, but having a higher expectation didn't alter how I feel about the novel, just the author. Overall the writing is well done and flows easily, and the romance in the story is enjoyable with a bit of suspense thrown in towards the end. However, the majority of the novel is slow and it is pretty predictable.

In my opinion, the characters aren't very unique, but they are likeable with the exception of the antagonist. Although, he was mildly interesting with his strange, yet psycho, behavior and reasoning for said behavior. I mostly liked Katie, because she is resourceful, clever, and admirable in the way she deals with her frightening predicament.

I recommend this novel to anyone looking for an easy, romantic summer read with some dark, suspense thrown in, and a strong female character.

Note: If anyone's wondering about the movie, I've seen it, and it's very similar to the book. I think the book is better though.
on April 14, 2014
..maybe that's why I enjoyed this book a lot. Don't get me wrong, I love a good love story (that's why I read Nicholas Sparks books) but changing it up to be more thrilling and suspenseful made me enjoy Safe Haven a lot.

I made the mistake of watching the movie before the book (I know, my bad.) But I actually liked the movie a lot, and liked the book even more. I regret not reading it first because the surprises were "ruined" for me, but it was interesting reading the book knowing some facts.

Anyways the book was great because it explored the mindset of Kevin (Katie's husband). Kevin is in a confused unstable state. Obviously he is a villain in the book, but the book provided readers to explain in unstable mental state. He says he love Katie but yet he abused her. He also thinks that he treated Katie so well with a nice house, clothes, etc. but he had no idea how miserable she was and the act she had to do so he wouldn't continue getting mad. It's really sad thinking how abused women blame themselves for relationships. But the book was great to show Katie overcoming and finally taking a stand, yet being scared out of her mind. I also appreciated that it showed that it's nice to have another guy help make her feel safe, but yet Katie showed a toughness to her (though she was still fragile).

I really enjoyed this book, and glad they made a good movie of it. Obviously, I liked the book way better but the movie did a good job of depicting the overall tone for the story.