Customer Reviews: Saga of the Swamp Thing, Book 1
4-month subscription Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Halloween Candy Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon bajillions bajillions bajillions  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Frank Sinatra Shop Cycling on Amazon

on September 29, 2016
In the 1980s, Alan Moore was given the chance to work on a low-profile comic book on the verge of cancellation, "Swamp Thing." Swamp Thing had been declining as a comic about a scientist who was turned into a plant monster. But Moore literally reinvented and revitalized the character and the book, starting by killing Swamp Thing, and bringing him back to life. In the process, he discovered he wasn't a scientist turned into a plant. He was a plant who thought he was a scientist.

From there, Swamp Thing went on a journey through dark and twisted realms, and Moore broke new ground in the comics industry. He was one of the first to push towards more adult-oriented storytelling in mainstream comics, and turned the series into a genuine horror comic. This series truly cemented his reputation as an outstanding writer, and contains elements of the spiritual and metaphysical journeys he would make in his later work.
on September 19, 2016
Alec Holland was a scientist working in the Louisiana swamps trying to invent a special formula to transform deserts into forests. Naturally, a bad guy wants the formula and bombs out Hollands' lab. Holland is coated in the formula but falls into the swamp. Soon enough, Swamp Thing rises out of the swamp. He's a humanoid vegetation horror.

Soon to be legendary for writing Watchmen, Alan Moore took over writing the DC Comic Saga of the Swamp Thing with issue 20 in the early 1980s. He had a plan for the creature, so his first issue ties up loose plot threads and ends with the death of Swamp Thing. What better way to reset a character than to kill him? Moore reinvents Swamp Thing's identity in an interesting and creative way. Swamp Thing has a lot more character depth than a reader would expect.

One might guess that Swamp Thing is some environmental superhero. While he does fight evil, Swamp Thing doesn't wear tights or have big fight scenes. He's more like Frankenstein's monster shambling through situations where he rights the wrongs he finds. The tone is filled with madness and horror and demons (some literal demons!). The environment can be just as much a problem as a thing to be protected. The book isn't uplifting but is fascinating. It's at least as much a horror book as a superhero book.

The art is very evocative and supports the tone well. The writing is very poetic, giving a gothic horror flavor. I enjoyed the book a lot and will read more of Moore's run on Swamp Thing.
on September 9, 2016
If it wasn't for Alan Moore's Swamp Thing I would have never met my wife.
on June 8, 2016
great continuation
on June 3, 2016
This takes the Swamp Thing story in a direction I didn't see coming. Originally released when I was quite young, my first attempt to read it was around the age of 9 in the form of a graphic novel picked up by one of my parents at a garage sale.

Needless to say I was too young to understand what Mr. Moore was conveying to his audience. But that didn't stop me from enjoying somewhat the Swamp Time movie and loving the Swamp Thing television show that aired around that same time.

Reading this today gives me a better appreciation for comic book writing. I mean, I knew that writing was important, but seeing it really shine in this way is just something truly masterful.

I hear there are five more volumes by Moore. I'm not sure when, but I'll be reading those.
on May 11, 2016
Fantastic book. Instant classic, you'll love it.
on May 10, 2016
I'm actually kicking myself right now for not having read this series prior to now; based on everything I have read thus far, the Saga of the Swamp Thing by Alan Moore and Stephen Bissette is by far and away the best super hero-horror comic out there.

The story by Moore builds on everything that had come before in the pages of House of Mystery, Swamp Thing, and Saga of the Swamp Thing while adding new layers and retconning in some very interesting twists. Moore also gets to play around with some of the DC Universe's more obscure or unpopular characters for a couple of issues, as well, most notably the Floronic Man and Etrigan the Demon. In both cases, he captures the most terrifying aspects of both, creating two very distinct, frightening creatures for the titular character to contend with.

Bissette's art is also phenomenal here, creating a dreary scene that isn't neccessarily dark in color in nearly every chapter. The swamp lands of Louisiana have never looked as good as when rendered by Bissette. Additionally, each monstrous character and creature in this volume looks downright terrifying, like something that would come out of H. R. Geiger's nightmares.

If you are like me and haven't read Saga of the Swamp Thing until recently, you need to rectify that mistake as soon as humanly possible.
on May 9, 2016
Alan Moore's Swamp Thing is a breath of fresh air in comics, and one can see what Moore was beginning to bring to it in this early volume. Yet, for all the talk about how amazing this is, I found that it was very good and very adult, but part of my expected a little more given what I know about Moore's later work. Still, the writing is strong--it does take a second to get into the continuity that was left for Moore at the time.
on May 9, 2016
I have the actual issues of the series(one with a Steven Bissette autograph). I had not read a digital graphic novel before. This is almost better than reading the issues due to the way the comic function works. You can focus, frame by frame on the the story (God bless Mr Moore), and the beautiful art of Tottleiben(?) Bisssete and various other artists. I want to thank Amazon for these amazing treatments of some of my all time favorite comics.
on May 4, 2016
I bought this because merely on curiosity and man am I glad I did. Definitely would recommend to any one looking for a good quick read.