Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 75 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 170 reviews
on June 20, 2017
This is an example of how NOT to make a 5.1 album.

Bad:
- You can't get to the music until you go through copyright info, FBI warning, etc. There are 5 of those that you can mostly skip through (except for the record label logo animation but it's pretty short). The real pain begins once you get to the main menu which is the WORST menu system I have ever encountered. I don't know who authorized this disc but they must be amateurs or were on drugs because it is just terrible. It took a few minutes before I could figure out how to actually get the music to play. If not headless play (like SACDs), it should at least take you straight to the track listing so you can access the music (like Bob Marley Legend).
- Only vocals out of the center channel. I hate when 5.1 tracks are mixed like this. It just sounds weird unless your L and R speakers are fairly close together, which I don't like.
- Weird visualization/animation that is totally unnecessary.

Good:
- Music sounds good and the 5.1 mix, for all its flaws, is much more fun to listen to than the stereo mix (new one or the original).
on July 17, 2013
This is the perfect example of why all artist should make 5.1 high resolution versions of their albums (new and past!)

Primus Sailing the Seas of Cheese has been always a great album, very experimental and interesting. The 5.1 hi-rez version takes it to a whole other level! IT brings out the best of Primus and you can hear thing that where always there, but just hidden in the stereo mix and the lower resolution 44.1 khz/16 bit CD.

I wont make a full review of the album, because there are many already and if you are reading this you probably know the album already, but If you want to know if the new 5.1 mix is worth it, I will have to say to you: "IT IS WORTH IT. BUY IT!"

5.1 (or 4.0 for that matter) opens up every single album Ive heard, usually used only by Prog Rock artist, but there are some examples where Rock and Pop where made in 5.1 (some good mixes and some really bad mixes), but it always helped to have a better listening experience.

Noadays there are more and more home theaters and blu ray players, so doing Audio Blu Ray in 5.1 is very likely to get good sales, and if the music industry pushes enough it could make great things with it!. Imagine bandas that use a lot of layers on their compositions like Coldplay, Radiohead, Tool, even Faith no More in 5.1... I would definitevly rebuy all of those if they where put out by a good mixer, in Hi rez audio and well mastered to get great dynamic range.
on April 20, 2015
Hands down the essential Primus album. There isn't a single track on "Sailing the Seas of Cheese" that isn't worth listening to multiple times and the best songs are absolutely genre defining. 'Jerry Was A Racecar Driver', 'Tommy The Cat', 'Sgt. Baker'...I need to stop before I list everything on the album. Even if you're not a huge fan of Primus' goofy, over the top image, there is no denying that "Sailing the Seas of Cheese" is one of the best albums in the history of music. This isn't even an over-embellishment, this is one of those albums everyone should have in their collection, I don't care how small that collection may be. Stick it right next to your copy of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band". Why are you still reading this, you should be purchasing and listening to this album!
on May 23, 2013
This review is for the 2013 stereo mix remaster. I am far from an audiophile, but I can appreciate great sound. My setup is Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB with a Shure M97xE cartridge connected to SpeakerCraft Vital 710 stereo receiver driving two Polk Monitor 60 speakers and one Polk Audio PSW505 12" subwoofer. So not a very expensive setup.

Sailing the Seas of Cheese has been a favorite of mine since release so when Primus sent me an email announcing the remixed vinyl with a chance to receive the record on yellow vinyl limited to 1000 prints, you can bet I jumped on Amazon and pre-ordered. Unfortunately I did not get a yellow copy. :-( What I did receive is a great sounding 200 gram black vinyl that when played has sounds that I have never heard. So much more comes out of this mix that I had to play Sgt. Baker two times in a row to help it sink in. That is on my budget setup and I may have been killed by this spectacular sonic bliss if I had some of the equipment I drool over.

If you're on the fence on this purchase, just do it! It is easily worth the price of admission to the party Primus tweaked just for the fans.
on August 11, 2013
In these times of hit or miss 5.1 surround mixes, this is a welcome homerun by Les Claypool! The Blu ray disc is a stunner sonically and visually a treat as well. Much more than I expected to get and worth every penny.

If you have a blu-ray player hooked up to a 5.1 system you will be floored IMHO. Super nice. Here They Come!
on December 14, 2016
Great record as always and have been a fan for a long time. If you love PRIMUS then anyone should own this record.
on July 22, 2014
Blur-Ray audio edition claims to have 96/24 for all the audio formats on the blu-ray disc. Only the 2.0 pcm option is in 96/24. The others are 48/24 (5.1 pcm and 5.1 dolby trueHD). At least that is what my player(oppo dbp103) dislpays when switching between the different audio options. Anyone else notice this?
on January 18, 2014
Saw them in the early 90s when they were touring following this album's release. Awesome then, awesome now. I think the album has aged pretty well. Sound quality on this remaster is impeccable - my 5000 watts don't lie. Surround mix is very well done - which isn't always the case on things which were conceived in stereo and then reworked to multi-channel. The big V8 motor at the beginning of "Jerry Was A Race Car Driver" made my pants feel funny. Best tracks for my money are "American Life," "Jerry Was A Race Car Driver," "Tommy the Cat," and my all time favorite, "Fish On."

If you've got the audio gear, it's worth the re-buy. If you don't already have it, buy this version.
Love this LP. Sadly, I wasn't lucky enough to get one of the cheese yellow vinyl copies, but anyway it's a great album. It's a pleasure to play it on my turntable. Some people complain about the relatively low output of this version, but that's what the volume control is for, right? And that's even better in these "loudness war" days in which listening to music has become a fatiguing experience. If you are a fan of both Primus and vinyl records, get this one without thinking twice.
on March 12, 2017