Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 53 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 64 reviews
on October 30, 2012
I'll refrain from posting excessive spoilers here, so my review mostly pertains to the art, general story and translation.

Art (5/5): Takeuchi continues to boggle the mind with her illustrations, which are marvelously lovely and convey emotion extremely well. As always, we're treated to the new covers featuring the lovely Neptune on the front and a cute chibi-fied stylized version of her on the rear cover. There are also a pair of glossy color images on the first couple pages.

Story (5/5): Sailor Moon 8 covers the end of the Infinity Arc and the beginning of the Dream Arc, or Sailor Moon S and Sailor Moon SuperS if you're more familiar with the anime. The fate of Hotaru/Mistress 9/Sailor Saturn is revealed here, as well as Chibi-Usa, who is still being supported by Mamoru after the happenings of the prior volume. The final battle follows the formula of most of the prior final battles with the big enemy of the arc, but it's motivating and lovely nonetheless.

Translation (3/5): There are, as always, flubs in the translation. Pharaoh is misspelled as "Pharoah" at least once, and there's a painful moment where a key character informs Sailor Moon that "With every ending come hope and rebirth" which is later quoted with the exact same syntax error. (It should've been "comes hope and rebirth.") However, the major issue that stands out with the translation here is that the attack "Death Reborn Revolution" is mistranslated as "Death Ribbon Revolution". The kanji for the two is slightly different and was apparently overlooked by the translator. Sadly, for an ability that can destroy the world, it's demeaned by translating it wrong, especially since there's so much emphasis on how things start again ("reborn") after being destroyed. It wouldn't be such a big deal if it were any other word that was mistranslated, but honestly, it's a massively poignant moment in the manga and could have been easily caught and fixed by any fan of the series. It also echos Jupiter's "Spark Ring Wide Pressure" from way back in Volume 3, which just shows that they're not paying any more attention to the translation accuracy now than they were then.

General: This volume lacks the preview of volume 9 (in either Japanese or English) and also lacks any sort of translation notes (aside from a small currency conversion notation below a panel.)

I'd just like to point out that the highlights from the publisher include "An entirely new, incredibly accurate translation!" and "Detailed translation notes!" yet Kodansha has continued to release a marred product from Volume 1 to now, ranging from slight translation errors to horrid ones, a smudged printing with Volume 5 and they've left out the "Detailed translation notes" on more than one volume that they claim as a selling point on the entire series. Even the official synopsis for this volume is incorrect, stating that Hotaru is possessed by Master Pharaoh 90. She's possessed by Mistress 9. Unfortunately for fans, Kodansha has at best released an OK version, not a great one. I love Sailor Moon, but I don't love this release.
44 comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2014
I got this cheap just so I could have all of the Dream Arc, but I'll be honest with you; the conclusion to the Infinity Arc was actually quite good overall. Still doesn't exactly make up for the borefest leading up to it, but it was actually my favorite part of this volume. The first act of the Dream Arc was good, but it's my least favorite part of it. It just seemed kind of weak compared to the beginning of the anime. Everything from the ending with the age switch between Usagi and Chibiusa is gold, but like I said I prefer the anime's start (though the manga definitely has the better finish). This is probably going to be my least favorite of the Sailor Moon volumes I intend to collect (I'm not collecting volumes 6 and 7), but it was still enjoyable.
on February 21, 2016
A wonderful volume to a wonderful series. It has amazing art, characters, & plot line. I recommend it fully to anyone who loves anything shoujo. Also to anyone coming over from the anime, it is more straight to the point then the 90's anime was. But it still has its own way of being amazing.
on January 15, 2013
I've always been a fan of the anime, so getting the manga series that started it all really deepens my appreciation of the storyline and characters. I know many people complain about the faulty translation, but that hasn't hindered me from enjoying what has been an amazing series. I actually CRIED at one point when I read this particular volume, and anything that can make me do that is worth any imperfections. I'm intellectually and emotionally invested, so I intend to see my collection be complete. I just wish I didn't have to wait TWO whole months for every volume!!
on June 17, 2013
I had been waiting so long to get this!!! I absolutely loved it. The translations and side notes were getting a little more accurate, and the artwork was amazing.Of course, this one is also a cliffhanger and I recommend buying the tenth one as well, if you do not already have it. Overall, this was a great manga and I give it four stars(mainly because of the translations). Thanks for putting in your time to read this and I hope you enjoyed the manga.
on December 11, 2012
This volume brings the Infinity arc to an exciting and action filled ending. Having made it this far, I'd say its really more of an action manga with a shoujo substrata. Character development is good, but a little more depth there would have been nice. Nevertheless, this is a great book to pick up whether you're into girl's manga or action. So guys do not be afraid to pick this up! I can't wait for the new anime to come out!
on May 14, 2013
I noticed that a lot of people have mentioned that they dislike these re-released versions of the manga, but I absolutely love it especially if you can't afford to buy the older versions. I love the new covers, but I would recommend buying the box set instead. I was buying them individually before I realized that they were coming out with a box set.
on January 3, 2013
Bought this as a welcome distraction for the college student needing a break from studying for finals. She has grown up with Sailor Moon and loves these.
on August 4, 2013
Since I was very young, I first discover about sailor moon books in library. Since then I am very big fan of Sailor moon. Unable to find it in old version books. I never thought they will reprint it in lot better way, with extra few colored pictures. That I appreciate very much. They are so beautiful artwork.
on March 20, 2013
Sailor Moon is something that I grew up with as a little girl and it was/is an unforgettable series. Knowing that it has basically been 'brought back to life' brings joy to my heart knowing that consumers of a new generation will be able to enjoy what I was able to enjoy growing up. A fantastic series worth investing in ;D