Sailor Moon, Season One, Complete and Uncut
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
For the people who think Sailor Moon is a kids show, you are mistaking this original version with the US TV show. This anime otaku assures you that the complete and uncut collection is nothing like the one you have seen on TV! In the TV version entire episodes were cut out, scenes and dialogue were changed, voices were weird(Luna is not supposed to sound old!), and everything was edited to make it 'appropriate' for kids. However, the Sailor Moon Season One - Complete and Uncut collection is better suited for teen-adults and is much better in general. If you haven't seen uncut Sailor Moon, you haven't seen Sailor Moon. Every anime fan should check out this box set.
Many details will stand out between the American release and the unedited, original version. Perhaps this stands out the most in the final two episodes. Due to its graphic content, the final two episodes of the first season were condensed to a single episode for the American release. Here, however, you will be able to see how the Sailor Scouts' battle with Queen Beryl really ended, by seeing the final two episodes in their entirety.
Parents should be warned, however, that with the added scenes comes more suggestive dialogue and more violence, therefore this DVD box set is not recommended for young kids. (ADV's rating is Age 15+)
If I am not mistaken, ADV will also be coming out with the second season of Sailor Moon, uncut. If ADV proceeds with this release, it will be to delight of many Sailor Moon fans. That release will only leave us with the final season, Sailor Stars. There is much discussion about the more intense content in Stars, so while the release of Sailor Moon's final season in the American market is still up in the air (and may be for a long time), be sure to get your hands on the first season of Sailor Moon, uncut, which is worth the high price and is a must for anyone's Sailor Moon collection.
Also, anyone hoping for extras is just silly. Yes, it would have been nice to see the openings and endings without the credits, but we really don't have a right to complain or expect that.
Anyway. The show is WONDERFUL. I was a dubbie once - I got hooked in 95 on the chopped up DiC dub of it, and I've been a rabid fan ever since. I'm really happy being able to see this. It's so much better than what was shown here (the US), it's indescribable. I see Sailor Moon in a very different (though better) light now.
It's a must have for any Sailor Moon fan with $50 to spare (I bought mine new for $49 at another website). :)
1. The menuing on these DVDs is very limited - just one menu where you select which episode to play. You CANNOT turn off the English subtitling on the episodes. Although most people won't care, I would be happier if I could turn off the subtitles sometimes to concentrate on the video.
2. So far I find the sound quality pretty crummy! During the episodes themselves it sounds okay, but the music during the opening and closing sequences sounds really muffled.
Well, now that you know the couple of downsides to this box set, here are the great things about it!
1. You get each complete episode with the opening animation, commercial break "eyecatch", and closing sequence. If you are familiar with the dubbed version of Sailor Moon, this is a treat. The scenes flow together unobtrusively without the computer animated tiaras and sparkles that were inexplicably added to the dubbed version. You may notice bits of mild violence that were cut out for censors.
2. You get to hear the characters' real voices! Usagi isn't so ditzy. Luna isn't an old lady. Beryl and Jadeite are more threatening. English credits for the original voice cast have been carefully added to the ending, so you can learn the names of the characters' voice actors.
3. The packaging itself is beautiful: There is a durable foil slipcover, with two snap cases inside.
4. You get all 46 episodes, an entire season, for a pretty reasonable price.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
If you are trying to get sailor moon season 1 then I would highly recommend getting the newer VIZ version. I personally own both & think the newer release is MILES beyond this one! Read morePublished 2 months ago by Jsa1992
If you were to watch Sailor Moon uncut in lowest quality and audio form you would have the adv sets. These were released years back before we even got uncut sailor moon. Read morePublished 8 months ago by Nikolas Rodriguez
I had a LOT of trouble finding this box set and I have to say I was a little iffy about the price but in the end I was 100% satisfied. Read morePublished 14 months ago by John W
Season 3 & 4 we're uncut in English, So why couldn't season 1 & 2. They allow all the nudity, slapping, stabbing in the other seasons. Read morePublished 14 months ago by Chase wilson
The audio quality sucks, but I'm not sure if that's because there's something wrong with the DVD itself or if it's because this is an older series (from the early 1990's)... Read morePublished 23 months ago by SoundzofSilence
I remember back in 2004-2005 I got a boot-leg version (A very good bootleg at that!) of this and the 2nd season. However, this is what I think of the 1st season set. Read morePublished on July 3, 2014 by Becks
The announcement was made at Anime Central 2014 this past weekend. Viz Media has acquire the streaming rights as well as the home video rights for North America release. Read morePublished on May 22, 2014 by Kong Wei Chow