Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 88 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 93 reviews
on December 5, 2015
I used this module to replace a mechanical relay module from Sainsmart for my Xmas light display outside. The mechanical relays didn't last long last year. So far this year the solid state relays are giving me no troubles. One thing to note however, mechanical relays can typically handle 10 Amps each. These solid state relays can only handle up to 2 Amps each ... enough power for approximately 100 LED lights on each relay, or 800 total lights per relay module. More than enough to dazzle (or cheese-off) the neighbors! No complaints about this board.

Update: Well, it's a few days past Xmas and not a single problem from any of the SSRs. I love that I can program the outlets to turn on and off at less than 25ms (the limit I found for mechanical relays). This allows twinkling effects that I couldn't do with mechanical relays. I'm purchasing another one for a 16 channel setup and adding a San Devices e682 to the mix for RGB LED control as well (my neighbors will REALLY love me next year). I use an Arduino Uno to control the relays however any microntroller with at least 8 digital outputs will work well with this relay board.

Update #2: I've redesigned my board to use two of these SSR boards for 16 outputs with an Arduino Uno. Works fantastic!
review image
on November 18, 2012
I overloaded the circuit and blew one of the fuses. This is not the fault of the board, it is my fault. Anyway the fuses were a little harder to find than just going to Radio Shack and picking one up. I found them over at Mouser. Here is the part number for anyone looking for more fuses.

Mfg. Littelfuse
Part # 0251002.MXL

[...]
on February 25, 2013
The relay interfaced nicely with the raspberry pi and seems to work great. Being solid state there's no audible "click" when you trigger the relay which is nice. LED indicators let you know if a particular relay is active or not. I have another SainSmart 5V 2-channel relay (not solid state -[...] and the problem I had with it was that it was ACTIVE LOW (no a defect, but by design). So, whenever my raspberry pi rebooted and the signal on that GPIO pin dropped to LOW, the relay triggered (which is not what I wanted).

But, with this Solid State version, it is ACTIVE HIGH, so a reboot or power outage of the Pi does NOT trigger the relay (which is what I want). This is a great relay and I highly recommend it if the specs fit your needs.
on May 11, 2012
As an electronics hobbyist, I am planning to design my own Christmas light show this year and dreaded the idea of having to build boards with relays on them that could be controlled by my Arduino. This board has all the features I could possibly want, and it's designed better than what I would have done at a fraction of what it would have cost me to do.

NOTE: This uses a triac; so it's not going to work for switching on direct current loads. I verified that with a quick test. It works great for AC loads, but is not designed for DC loads. If you need to control DC loads, then you'll want to purchase the mechanical relay board also made by Sainsmart.

A schematic of how each relay is wired is given at the Sainsmart website. Based on that and some measurements I've made, here are some features that aren't obvious from the description.

1. Each relay is protected by a fuse. Granted, the fuse is hard-soldered to the board; so if you blow the fuse, you'll have to de-solder and re-solder a new fuse in place, but that's not a huge problem. Protects each circuit from drawing more than the 2 amps that the relay is rated for.

2. The signal from the Arduino doesn't cut on the relay directly. Instead, the signal from the Arduino turns on a transistor, which closes a circuit that turns on the relay. The relay itself is optocoupled; so there is plenty of electrical isolation between the Arduino board and the relay. No worries at all on my part about frying my Arduino board.

3. Each relay draws about 10 milliamps from the Arduino when switched on. If you're only turning on a few relays at the time, that is not a problem for the Arduino to handle. If you want to turn on LOTS of relays at the same time, the transistor design mentioned above allows you to provide an EXTERNAL dc voltage to turn on the relays and then the Arduino can be used to just switch on the transistors. It's a very elegant design that is ideal.

4. Each relay has an LED wired to the circuit so that when the LED lights up when the relay is switched on. This takes the guesswork out of wiring issues and wondering if you hooked things up properly.

I plan to eventually use 6 or more of these relay boards to be controlled by an Arduino Mega. Each relay will be used to provide power to an electrical outlet into which I can plug the Christmas lights. The time that I would have spent having to design a relay board just got eliminated so that I can spend more time on my light show design.

Overall, this is an excellent design. If I run into any problems, I'll post again, but it looks like it's going to do everything I could possibly want.

UPDATE: This board is fantastic! I've been using my Arduino to control AC loads with it. Works like a champ. Excellent buy for the money, since many board on the internet with this capability cost much more. If you want a solid, well built board that works, then this is the one for you.
1414 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 16, 2013
I've purchased several Arduino-compatible devices from SainStore. All have been packaged well and assembled with reliable components. This is worth 5 stars.

There are no heat-sinks on the relays, which is ok for proof-of-concept on a lab bench with limited duty cycle. If you need all 8 of them to switch light loads infrequently, you'll probably be ok. If you need all 8 of them to switch resistive loads, they'll need a heat-sink to keep from heat-soaking each other. This is worth 3 stars, but a great opportunity for Sain to offer an add-on heat-sink that slips over the SSR's so they could run closer to 100% duty-cycle at 70% rated load. In my prototype system, two of the channels on this board are laddered to much larger SSR's with big heat-sinks (switching heavy resistive loads), and other channels are doing things like phase-angle chopping for light inductive loads. There are LOTS of ways to use this little thing.

I needed a bank of solid-state relays for an automation project, with limited space in the control box. This SSR board is very compact for what it can do, and seems to work well. This is worth 5 stars.

Finding which segment of a prototype system isn't performing can be tedious, but with LED's showing channel state, this assembly is one less place I have to hook up test leads to see if it's receiving the input and applying the output. This is worth at least 4 stars.

Overall, a very handy piece at a very reasonable price. Sain, if you're reading this, I'd love to see a couple heat-sink options for this (two different fin orientations on top to work with airflow management in an enclosure).
on February 10, 2013
Simple and straight forward. I use this connected to a Raspberry Pi, with an external 5v adapter, and 120V AC sockets attached to each relay. No transistors necessary, connected GPIO pins from the Pi to the numbered terminals on this board, 5v power to the 5v terminal, and ground to both GND terminals. To wire AC current on the switched side you can connect either the AC/mains common OR the hot, I prefer to go with the common. When GPIOs are switched to high, the relay turns on, and an LED on the board turns on for each relay.
on January 13, 2017
Total garbage compared to the same manufacturer's item purchased in store from Microcenter. Don't properly switch loads consistently, construction relatively poor. Surprised that these are actually sainsmart brand, which I normally have good luck with. They don't come in a real sainsmart box, the soldermask color was off a bit, the silkscreen looked a little funny, which leads me to believe someone might be pulling a fast one with what product is actually being shipped. Wouldn't be surprised if someone in the supply chain is pushing knock-offs.
on November 6, 2012
Alright, I ordered this with some skepticism because the boards commonly recommended by Christmas sequencers out there (like Vixen freeware) are all quite expensive and do-it-yourself intense. When I saw this board for the price, I ordered one to test out with my Arduino Mega board and it took all of 10 minutes to get it hooked up and working like a champ.

I have not put it into use with 110VAC yet. (J Fuller, I would LOVE to see how you wired this up)

From the LED status it's working PERFECTLY with an Arduino board and Vixen. It took 5V and a ground (provided by the Arduino in the "POWER" section on the Mega 2560 board), and I have no ground in the "GND" connection on the main 9-pin screw-down connector.

In short - this board, combined with Arduino and Vixen greatly simplifies these "amazing displays" that you see all over YouTube.

-S
on January 14, 2014
So nothing else mentions it absolutely positively, and I was a bit worried, because the RPi uses a +3V output, instead of the standard +5V. I wasn't quite sure this would work. But it did. Out of the box.

Ever seen those overly complex relays and switches with 6 or 8 pins to turn on one light bulb? I have. This isn't one of them. Everything makes sense the way it is laid out, so you don't necessarily have to refer to pinout diagrams and numbering. The pins are pretty much laid out like an electrical switch on the wall.

The LEDs on the board are pretty handy too, to know if the switch is on or off.

Overall, this is the version I'm buying for ALL my future needs. No more funky custom stuff.
on June 11, 2015
Works! I used this with a Raspberry Pi to build a touchscreen operated, Wi-Fi connected, garage door control unit and freezer monitor with an custom-made iPhone app. Obviously kind of pleased with myself for that! I will definitely buy more of these.