Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 59 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 75 reviews
on December 9, 2013
I liked the story, and the wording, and the simplicity to read to my children about who Nicholas, Bishop of Myra, was. This story explains how he loved the Lord, and showered his flock with love and helped those in need. The last page shows a modern day family, continuing his tradition of helping the poor, by standing at the door of a little girl who did not have much. It does not talk about Santa, it does not make the link to Santa. I appreciate that because we don't do Santa at Christmas time, seeing as he is just a caricature of St. Nicholas. The story is well written, simple, and gives a great beginning to talk about why we give gifts at Christmas. I will say, the only thing we were disappointed with is that the illustrations made Nicholas look like Santa (dressed in red - hence, the 4 stars). I was apprehensive to buy this based on the mixed reviews, but overall, the story is lovely and simple, it reflects why we give gifts. It also mentions the most important thing of all- that the greatest gift of all is Jesus. Important to reinforce over and over especially as that reason gets lost in the hustle and bustle and busyness of the Christmas season.
on November 21, 2014
I liked this "real" story until I turned to the last page that read, "Although this story is somewhat fictionalized...." I'm okay with a fictionalized account. I'm NOT okay with a fictionalized account that titles itself "The Real Story."
on December 7, 2015
I love this book. It is so cute, and it relates St. Nicholas to Jesus. I am celebrating St Nicholas feast day with my son every year, and this book is the perfect one to read on the 5th of December. It really reinforces the idea of giving. I would recommend this book to anyone who is a Christian. I like that there is a glossary in the back to explain some of the words (such as dowry) that young children may not understand. The pictures are perfect and go great with the text of the book. I read this to my one year old, and he loved it. He paid attention the entire time and enjoyed looking at the pictures as I read!
on January 12, 2008
I liked this book a lot and it accomplished the purpose for which it was purchased...we don't "do" Santa with our kids, but I wanted them to know that there really was a man named St. Nicholas and who he was and what he did. My daughter really loved this book, and I think it will become a Christmas tradition. It's nice that the real St. Nicholas loved the Lord and was a Christian, and that that was his motivation for giving gifts. I want my children to understand why we give gifts and more importantly, to understand the precious gift of Jesus as Savior, and I felt like this book was a nice Christmas complement.
on January 29, 2014
Got the book with the stiff boards. So I forgot the name but is not paperback or hardback. Smaller than I thought but a good book. It is a bit pointed but if you are not afraid to admit that Santa Claus is not the reason for Christmas and that the Santa Claus that we know in the USA is from Coca-Cola than this book might be a good read. If you have a young one interested in Saints this would be a good fit also. We gave it to my Nephew whose parents are unsure of how to go about telling him about the reason for Christmas. I suggested to tell he that it is because we are celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. That wasn't well received so I thought I would give them a beautiful book about Saint Nicholas. Although I will admit the book is a bit rudimentary in depth but would be a good resource to start a conversation.
on February 4, 2014
I was disappointed in the story. Have bought this for when my grandchildren begin to not believe anymore but will continue to look for a more credible source. Too much of a fairy tale and not accurate.
on March 19, 2014
We have 3 children and this year, we decided to tell our 5 year old the truth about Santa. The 2 and 3 year old know Santa's name, but that is it. From here on out, we will use this wonderful book to explain the history of Santa Claus and how he was a real person. We hope to eliminate the over commercialized Christmas and focus on the real reason for the holiday in our home.
on January 15, 2016
I bought this book in order to help teach my children about the real St. Nicholas, This was a very good story. It is well written and has nice pictures throughout, My children are 5,4, and 1 and this book was a little over their head and didn't quite keep their attention as I had hoped but it still got the message across and this will be a part of our yearly Christmas traditions.
on December 5, 2014
This book has become a family tradition to read on the night of December 5th before my children put their shoes out on the doorstep for St. Nicholas to come. The pictures are beautiful and the story is heartwarming. I highly recommend it to all my friends that want to teach kids about the story behind Santa Claus and the true meaning of Christmas!
on December 28, 2016
I like that it describes Saint Nicholas as he truly was and not the made up version that has since taken America by storm. I enjoyed reading it with my kids. Great for Christians looking to teach their kids about Saint Nicholas.