Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Saitek PRO Flight Radio Panel
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

on November 3, 2011
I am practicing some instrument flying on FSX. The radio panel is to give me more practice using a radio stack. This unit is OK. Nice size. The knobs do not have detentes and are sometimes hard to select between two numbers. There is also no way to set the .5 digit required for some frequencies. This makes it unusable with some navigation facilities. You have to press the swap keys to set the high and low numbers for the transponder. The DME reading is nice. I lowered the rating because of the difficulty in setting some numbers and the problem with the .5 frequencies.
on December 8, 2015
For a unit that is all about the knobs and this expensive, Saitek should have made them better.

I already owned the Cessna yoke, trim, and rudder. They have worked wonderfully (particularly the rudders), so I didn't think twice when I ordered this radio panel. It also seems to have high ratings. Should have actually read the reviews!

These knobs are horrible. The mode selectors on the left are very hard to turn, and the rotary knobs on the right feel wishy washy. In addition, I thought the rotary knobs on the right are push-pull like the real-life Garmin knobs, but they are not. To fine tune, you turn and try to keep the knob between two click stops - it works as well as it sounds, especially since the detents lack conviction.

SPAD software may help you tune more precisely, but it cannot make the knobs feel any better.

If Saitek adjusts the detents on these knobs and make the tuners push-pull, this would be a much better unit. The way it is is very disappointing.
on September 4, 2015
I bought this to use with Flight Simulator X ver 10. This Saitek Panel has driver problems. The Saitek drivers that come with it and the updated one on the Saitek web site do not work. The best drivers are on the FSX Forum. Tere are two layers of drivers, on layer is the Saitek panel talking to MS Windows and then there is another layer talking from Windows to FSX and finally to the processor inside the Saitk Panel.

The processor inside the Saitek Panel is very sensitive to the voltage on the USB .. so much so that it is useful to use a powered hub or directly power the Saitek Panel. Try the "Plugable USB 2.0 10-Port High Speed Hub" The Saitek yoke has a built in USB hub, but only 3 ports which is not nearly enough! Watch the the Saitek Panel internal processor wakes up and provides a sensible display, if it is all messed up then the processor did not have enough voltage to initialize properly.

Best to plug in all the Saitek Panels and their USB power before turning on your computer, this helps BIOS and Windows find the USB devices.

Expect extra work with any Saitek Panel and FSX.

Joe
on May 15, 2015
Over priced because it is sim related. It does a handy job for controlling radios though.
The unit I have is very finicky on some digits and requires skill tuning it in as it rolls past some.
Other then that it works as intended.
on June 14, 2015
I rated a three (3) because they work. I'm running a MAC Computer for X-plane 10 and purchased a Microsoft PC to run Saitek equipment slaved from my MAC as the Master Machine. I'm running a remote system in the field so that I don't loose piloting/navigation proficiency while away from my professional flight sim at base. Normally I use the GO Pro line for instrumentation. Unlike the GO Pro line, these feel toy-like in comparison... but as mentioned... "They Work." Price is just a tab bit high for these modules and I wish that Saitek supported OSX (MAC) platforms direct for all their equipment... so that I don't have to run a separate PC (Microsoft) Platform to operate the Saitek equipment. With a third party plug in, this particular module will work with the MAC Platform. However, not "ALL" the Saitek equipment have third party plug ins available (For Example: the Saitek FIP).
on January 19, 2010
Flight simmers,

While I completely agree with the other two reviews regarding the knob turning force and sensitivity, I have to say that I am "5 star" happy with this product. Why? The price is right through Amazon, the LED displays are bright and stable, when the unit is mounted in a home cockpit the "turning force" issues are lessened and finally, it works as well as advertised.

I like the bigger "footprint" of the unit as the knobs are bigger than the competition. Also, the larger LED's make use easier for those of us who have vision issues.

For the price, you cannot beat this unit. In fact, I am getting ready to order two more to round out my radio stack. Excellent product!!
on December 24, 2011
This is a great product, I like it very much.

Although the official Saitek documentation states that it only works with FSX, there IS an X-Plane plugin that works with all the Saitek instrument panels, on Win, Mac and Linux. I've got it working with X-Plane 10 on Windows and it works flawlessly.

You can download the X-Plane plugin from the x-plane forums. Unfortunately I can't include an external link in this review but you can easily find the plugin if you google "Xsaitekpanels (lin+win+mac)"
on September 17, 2015
I love these products and the price can't be beat. They are not size or model replicas of a real radio stack, but they certainly get the job done. I wish they would come out with a transponder stack alone but I'm not arguing about anything with these products.
on December 12, 2011
This is a 'must-have' for serious flight simulator pilots. Much has been written about the feeling of the control knobs - 2 are too tight (the left knobs) and two are difficult to precisely tune (the right hand knobs). That said, this is a simple to operate unit and it greatly improves your flights, particularly on the larger jets where you're using dual NAV radios for ILS landings. You can also use the Com1 and Com2 to speak with ATC (e.g. VATSIM, IVAO) which again greatly speeds up your ability to respond to radio frequency changes. I have read of others who thought this unit is 'too big' but if you're an older pilot, the large easy-to-read red numbers are extremely welcome. Arrived from Amazon in solid packing box, manufacturer packaging was nice as well. I downloaded the drivers directly from Saitek.com instead of running the CD. You DO need to install the drivers even on Windows 7 for this device to work properly with Flight Simulator X. While I was not thrilled with Saitek flight yoke/throttle set nor their least-expensive rudder pedals, I have to say I'm satisfied and excited about this item. Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

EDIT: After taking several flights in Microsoft Flight Simulator X and using VATSIM Squawkbox 4, I can say that this device is a total pleasure, and greatly speeds up my pre-flight routine. It's great to actually dial in the NAV1 and NAV2 frequencies. You turn the left knob to select the radio device (or other function) then you turn the right knobs to adjust the frequency. When dialing Squawk you press the Swap button to access the left two digits, then Swap again to set the right two. It's cake!

I also purchased the Backlit Information Panel (BIP) and the Combat Rudder Pedals by Saitek. I am not sure if I will keep both of those items, but the radio stack is GREAT. Yes, the left knobs require some force to turn, and I wish they were larger so I could exert more torque, but I'm betting that Saitek wanted these to hold up for a good while. I particularly love being able to dial in my SQUAWK frequency for ATC (transponder). That is golden.

Saitek throws in a mouting frame and some very nice silver set screws, plus some velco strips to make it less likely to skid around on your desktop. These can be mounted on top of other Saitek devices for those who wish to do so. I have mine sitting off to the right of my monitor. Love it.

Two final words: Buy It.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2015
I "finally" got this unit to work, but it was an incredible pain to get it to. Saitek tech support was just horrible with this particular module, in particular with just understanding their own drivers. Most of my solutions were derived from forum searches from other owners, Saitek's only useful response was the renaming of the files that their drivers generate (for Steam Edition). They don't appear to have any desire to update their drivers, so expect to spend a few days researching forums in order to solve your installation issues. Once working, this unit works great!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse