Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 8, 2012
I should have a shelf dedicated to just Mindy Fox's books! I own Olives & Oranges, The Craft of Baking, A Bird in the Oven and now Salads Beyond The Bowl. Ms. Fox creates flavor profiles that make my mouth sing. In this book, which I've owned for less than a week, I have already made 3 dishes: the tangle of radicchio, belgian endive, chives & blue cheese; the celery root with manchego cheese and pistachio; and the egg salad with lemons, capers and chives. Three for three on the hit parade! Her writing is clear and concise. There is nothing left to wonder about the recipe as Ms. Fox fills in the blanks with detailed descriptions about the preparation and the ingredients. The ingredients are available at local markets or smaller specialty shops, easy enough to find online too if you are not lucky enough to have salted capers at your market, for example.

Sometimes we just like to have a salad for dinner but don't want to settle for something light in the taste department. That's where this book is perfect as well. The preparations are not long and laborious but taste like you've been in the kitchen for hours! I know someone who bought the book today based on my recommendation alone, sight unseen! Go on now, put this in your shopping cart and don't think twice!
on December 14, 2015
I bought this book for myself, and now I'm gifting it to several friends. The variety of recipes is wonderful. There are plenty of recipes that are simple and made with ingredients that any cook can find. And there are indeed recipes that call for harder to find ingredients, but with great substitutions suggested. I love how the chapters are divided: very simple salads to start; then gorgeous leafy sorts; potato, egg and pasta salads--upgraded in a modern way; and salads made with meat or fish that can serve as a satisfying meal. Photos are beautiful! Flavors are wonderful! And recipes work very well.
on February 2, 2016
The recipes are unusual without making one's shopping list complicated. Intriguing and fresh new combinations such as Feta, blueberries and mint. This was a huge hit at a potluck dinner party. There are recipes for vegans and non-vegan recipes can easily be veganized. The author also gives some handy pointers for making more interesting salads at the beginning of the book.
on September 7, 2017
Interesting salads and dressings, beautifully laid out cookbook. Just not for me.
on May 29, 2017
I gave this book as a birthday gift and my friend loves it. He's a master chef.
on April 25, 2012
I am a big fan of Ms. Fox, having purchased her previous book, "A Chicken in the Oven and Then Some." (2010) Her recipes are well-written, easy to follow and, most importantly, delicious! Every salad that I have made in this book, and I have made quite a few in the mere two weeks that I have owned the book, has been better than the last. To name a few, my family and I have enjoyed the escarole and mushroom salad with orange marmalade and sweet shallot vinaigrette, the potato salad with za'atar and chives, the warm orzo salad with sweet crab, shiitake mushrooms, corn and creme fraiche and the blueberries, feta and mint salad. The latter, although so simple to assemble, is a real showstopper of a salad in that the combination of blueberries, feta and mint, dressed lightly with very good olive oil, sea salt and cracked pepper, is so unusually refreshing. There are so many more recipes that I intend to try that I imagine that I will cook my way through the entire book.

Beautiful color photographs accompany most of the recipes. At 170 pages, this cookbook should not intimidate any home cook. I am so thrilled with the accessibility of this book (i.e. not calling for too many specialty ingredients) and the resulting recipes that I am purchasing copies for Mother's Day and end-of-the-year teacher's gifts!!
on December 13, 2015
I was disappointed because the instructions on how to prepare the recipes are too long and complicated. I tried a few recipes that ended okay. Some of them do not inspire me like Chickpea and blood sausage with wild arugula. Some of the ingredients are difficult to find in the grocery store and specialty store. I live in a city where you can find a huge variety of products. I know there are some tips of substitution. However it does not work for me.
on June 15, 2013
Great fresh new take on salads, breaking away from the standards and really going for it. Wish there was a restaurant serving many of these dishes. This book has been in my rotation for a few weeks now, great ideas and new takes on some classic ideas (the pastrami panzanella) was a an instant classic. Plenty of other dishes were hits with my kids, cant wait to try some more.
on October 16, 2015
Excellent cook book for salads and other summer fare. Easy to follow recipes. Highly recommend it.

N.B. Please note: I made a mistake rating my original review, submitted a few minutes ago. Please disregard this and use this new one instead. Thanks.
on January 2, 2013
I have become a fan of Mindy Fox. She has been the thread that weaves through several excellent cookbooks that I have purchased here on Amazon. This is her first outing ( that I know of) on her own, and it raises the level of Salads to a new level. I have long wanted a go to book on salads and this baby is it. The complete set of books with her name associated to them will give you everything you need, from soup to nuts as far as cookbooks are concerned. Thanks Mindy. You re awesome .