Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
Same-Sex Marriage: Pro and Con: A Reader Paperback – May 11, 2004
|New from||Used from|
See the Best Books of 2017
Looking for something great to read? Browse our editors' picks for the best books of the year in fiction, nonfiction, mysteries, children's books, and much more.
Customers who bought this item also bought
"Succeeds in framing the major religious, legal, moral, and personal issues... and in showing why the debate cuts to the core of Americans' beliefs about themselves."- The Philadelphia Inquirer
From the Inside Flap
With same-sex marriage igniting a firestorm of controversy in the press and in the courts, in legislative chambers and in living rooms, Andrew Sullivan, a pioneering voice in the debate, has brought together two thousand years of argument in an anthology of historic inclusiveness and evenhandedness. Among the selections included here:
- The 2003 Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court ruling in support of same-sex marriage
- Justice Kennedy's majority opinion and Justice Scalia's dissent in the 2003 landmark Supreme Court decision striking down anti-sodomy laws
- President George W. Bush's call for a Federal Marriage Amendment
- John Kerry's Senate speech urging defeat of the Defense of Marriage Act
- Harvard historian Nancy F. Cott's testimony before the Vermont House Judiciary Committee
- Reverend Peter J. Gomes on the distinction between civil and religious marriage
- Stanley Kurtz on the politics of gay marriage
- Evan Wolfson on the popularity of the right to marry among lesbians and gay men
- "New York Times op-ed columnist" David Brooks' conservative case for same-sex marriage
- Excerpts from Genesis, Leviticus, and other essential biblical texts
- Aristophanes's classic theory of same-sex love, from Plato's "Symposium
- Hannah Arendt on marriage as a fundamental right
- Camille Paglia's skepticism
Representing the full range of perspectives and the most cogent and arresting arguments, Same-Sex Marriage" is essential to a balanced understanding of the most pressing cultural question we face today.
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
It's an anthology, and the pieces excerpted do exactly what the title says: they provide a reader into pro and con positions in the same sex marriage debate. Sullivan is very fair. He really does present a variety of points of view.
The reader is so thorough, after you've read it, you may realize that it would be hard to say anything new on the topic.
In addition to being useful, I found the book fascinating. It's intriguing to read of how marriage between persons of the same gender was conceived long ago in China, or in Medieval Europe. I do use the book in classes I teach, but I also enjoyed reading it.
It came in great condition and on time.
Most recent customer reviews
by Thomas Peters
13 hours ago RSS
It's Debate 101 that you should understand your opponent's argument before you attempt to refute it.Read more
Pro and Con: A Reader
(New York: Vintage/Random House, 1997) 373 pages
(ISBN: 0-679-77637-0; paperback)...Read more