Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on April 16, 2017
The book will get you started with NodeJS, and there are some fun things to copy and paste and learn. My major frustration with this book is the code examples turn into troubleshooting exercises, as they do not work; Outstanding for being bad is the code for PUT of your edited tasks doesn't work at all, including a `git clone...` from the sheepshead github. To me, that is really bad for a how to code book, if your code doesn't work.
on October 7, 2015
I bought the Kindle version. This book is terrible.
It starts out heavy on explanation about how the web works and such.
Once it gets to you actually writing things with node and express, it devolves more into a "Do this.... and this will happen...."
"...Should happen..." is more accurate. The examples in the book are terrible. Often they don't work. Your next recourse is to look for the examples online, which require a few click throughs to actually download. When you get them, you discover they are out of sync with the book text. If you're lucky, you can compare the two and figure out how to make things work.
I got to Hour 8 before I decided to try another resource, since I was spending more time frustrated trying to blindly troubleshoot the examples in the book, as opposed to getting a well-structured introduction and actually learning anything solid.
on August 3, 2015
it's well written and understandable even if you're new on node.js. It could be nice reference book for jade, express and mongodb. Since the code examples are written with old version of these components, samples might not work but easy to fix it or use exact same version when you debug code examples.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Overall this book makes for good reading.But then why 3 stars?
Well for starters, the code in this book is outdated. You will feel the drag on your self-paced learning when you hit the chapters on Express.
The code in these chapters are geared more towards V3.x of Express. And when you set up Expressand generate your first web application you will literally tear your hair out trying to figure out why things don't work as described.

I compared the code in the book vs. the files generated in my Express application vs. the Express API documentation and realized that I was reading a book written for V3.x of Express whilst the one installed on my Surface Pro Tablet is V4.x . There are subtle and more pronounced differences between the two versions and instructions in this book for most part will not work with your Express application. Therefore here are some starters on some of the differences. For more details refer to this link -
1. Starting the Express Web Application is completely different.
2. Editing .JADE view pages works best with Visual Studio (free version)
3. When starting with a JADE page, make up your mind on whether you're going to use [space] or [Tab] for indentation
4. Once you decide what your preference is, stick to it and DO NOT switch between [space] or [Tab] to avoid unpredictable behavior of the JADE engine!
5 If a certain JADE tag does not work, the first test would be to add a DOT in front of it to see if it works
6 Example: As shown in this book the inline script keyword does not work with v4.x, but script. works (notice a dot after the keyword here)
7 The good part is that variables, FOR LOOPS, IF-ELSE constructs work as shown in the book and you should not have major issues

With these workarounds, I've been successfully able to complete working on Chapter 06 of this book. As of now, I'm yet to try the mixins.
review imagereview imagereview image
on August 16, 2014
I purchased the 2nd Edition (2013), so most of the code examples still pretty much up-to-date. But what you really want in a book are *principles* - a solid foundation that will last beyond the syntax changes in the latest API. And George Ornbo's "Sams Teach Yourself Node.js" delivers! It's both a quick read, and a solid introduction to Node.js. How to use it, what you can use it for, and how it works with complementary technologies like Express,, Mocha and Backbone.js (to name just a few). This book is an excellent way to get real applications conceived, tested and deployed quickly and effectively. Highly recommended!
on June 3, 2014
The try it yourself code is not working beyond chapter 8. I'm hoping the author at least updates the code samples to the latest version of node.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 15, 2014
Don't bother buying this book. The version of at least one of the tools (Express)
has been updated and the code no longer works in those examples in the book that
use Express. Github contains some updates to the code, but that updated code
doesn't work either. So keep looking for another book.
on December 7, 2013
The book has some good information, written in an easy style, but it seems to be missing a lot of the commonly used libraries, like restler, commander, cheerio. As far as I can tell, Node/JS programming is all about knowing the right libraries to use in a given situation, so not describing them is a real limitation.

Or maybe the Index is just really incomplete - it doesn't even have a listing for 'fs' - but that's a major shortcoming for a technical book.
on November 13, 2013
I wrote a review earlier, before I finished this book and bought a few other Node books... My initial criticism was pointed at the difficulty in getting "situated" with Node in the various environments that it is able to run in. Now I see, it's pretty difficult to cover that in the "24 Hours" format. This book is fantastic. Period. I'm transitioning from .NET to Node and JS frameworks and Georges book worked well for me. This book has become my NodeJS "Go To" book. If you're new to NodeJS, and want to get up to speed quickly and build from there, this is the book. So, part of this review is pointed at the "Code outdated and fails" review I saw with the 1 Star rating... It all works for me... And I'm a "newb"... Also... "Stuff" changes.... Updates, newer versions...

If you want to get into NodeJS... Start here.

Credit given where credit is due. George nailed it. Good job! I hope George writes a book that can take me / us to the next level :>
on September 28, 2013
I am a RT Emb. Programmer and Had no experiance at all in web programming.
This book offered me all the necessary hand-on konwledge in a quick and efficient way.
Very good book for beginneres - Studying with it will swave you all the necessary Hello World that you ever gonna need in web programming using Node.js.

Two Cons:
It was a bit too much "advertising" for why should I use node.js and not others, and it was annoying somne times.
I still need to learn HTML 5 in order to write what I need - Though all the node.js aspects were covered!