Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CMA Fest PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on March 16, 2015
If you have "Swiss cheese" knowledge of SAP, or don't' know much about the product, then this is a good place to fills in the holes. Don't expect to become an expert in any particular area, but after reading you should have a cursory level of knowledge of those areas you're not familiar with. For me, I found that the technical discussions were fairly useful, but the business process and project management material was a bit too abstract, and could never really do justice unless you've had some experience in that area.

After completing this book in March 2015, I can say that the book (4th Edition) needs to be updated with some of the newer SAP offerings. Having said that, much of SAP is centered around the core functionality based on technology that's been around for years - and this book covers that fairly well. In fact, it's quite a challenge to try and encompass everything that SAP represents, but this book tries to take that on. I was borderline between 4 and 5 stars, but because this book doesn't even mention HANA, shows that an updated version is needed quickly, as HANA is quickly becoming the very core of SAP these days.

With all this said, I can still wholeheartedly recommend this book, as everything within its covers is something worth knowing about.
2 people found this helpful
on September 15, 2014
Started a new job and it required SAP knowledge, which I did not have a lot of. This book provides some great basic information for someone new to SAP and is quite easy to follow. This book did a good job of breaking everything down from the history of SAP to the high level technical information that is useful to know. This has definitely helped me ease into my role and I'm glad I purchased this book!
2 people found this helpful
on May 3, 2012
This book presents essentially everything a business professional needs to know before deciding to adopt SAP for his/her business. It will also help the IT managers and administrators who will be managing and administrating the system within that business. What this book presents are, a discussion of the functional capabilities of SAP (including the ERP and other core business components, as well as the various foundation elements), the processes and people involved in an SAP project, a primer on the security issues regarding SAP, integration options with third-party tools, a primer on cloud-based SAP, and some administrative topics.

However, if you are an information systems engineer who is looking for a comprehensive understanding of all the elements in an SAP system, particularly with regards to technically deploying SAP, then you might want to look elsewhere (although you will still want to buy this book for your pre-deployment reference). This book does not contain details on deploying, configuring and kick-starting modules, such as FI/CO, AS, MM, HR, etc. It also does not give you the specifics of integrating all these components together to give you a full SAP installation. Nor does it give you the details on the various business configurations necessary to make a functional SAP system 'usable' (which I am still looking for in other literature).
12 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on November 21, 2011
This is my favorite SAP book so far. I have read a number of SAP books and some were too technical and some too high level. I think this one was right in the middle. I am a software professional with ERP experience with other ERP systems so I was looking for a book that gave me a basic understanding of SAP. The book helped me understand both the technical and functional side of SAP. The only issue I had was that installing SAP was not an option for me and I did not have access to an SAP system. I read the chapter about installing SAP but I was concerned it may conflict with existing software. Maybe a future option would be to provide temporary access to a hosted SAP system for book readers.
4 people found this helpful
on January 25, 2013
I used this book soon after graduating from college. I was given an opportunity to interview for an SAP position where I was interning. I was interning in the technical network area. I bought this book to help solidify my generic knowledge of SAP. Really helped me understand SAP at high level, but it's definitely not useful in explain the ins and outs of all that is SAP. There are transactions in SAP that could have entire books written about them. That being said for someone completely lacking SAP experience or knowledge this book is great. Vice versa, this book is awful if you are trying to learn about detailed workings within SAP.
9 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on March 18, 2016
I like the book even tough I am not up to date.
on September 6, 2012
A good book in its own way but not for developers.

It is more something to use to prepare yourself to 'sell' the idea of moving to SAP to the executive officers in your company, or, maybe, if you are a diligent executive, to prepare yourself before receiving such a proposal.

While is, unsurprisingly, positive about SAP it is balanced with a few negative points that will help you ask good questions if you are the executive or look like your presentation is balanced if you are giving the presentation.

But for those who have been told the company is going to 'do' SAP then there is not enough 'meat' in here to give you the details you need to understand what lies in your future. The sort of skating across issues with motherhood statements of the kind 'allows rapid development' you could pick up, in a less concise and compiled way, by spending time searching the web.

So this was a wasted purchase for me and I can think of a range of audiences that would also find it a waste. Simply not targeted at those audiences so it is a 'miss' for them.

But if you are in the target audience then it is a competently presented 'sales pitch' for going down the SAP path that will give you the sort of buzzwords and and broad technical coverage that will let you look like you know a lot more than you really do and deflect hard technical questions with competent sounding phrases that appear to hold far deeper knowledge of what it is like to work with SAP as your development environment (that I suspect the author does have but chose not to present in here to keep the book manageable and readable).
on March 18, 2015
Perfect for beginners.
on June 1, 2014
This book could have been written by someone with very little knowledge of SAP. Mostly general ramblings. Very little specific useful information.
on August 12, 2014