Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on June 25, 2013
I got this two days before heading out for a five day visit to northern Arizona and southern Utah; I brought the bag along during the long car ride, on four plane trips, and two hotels. It was convenient, light weight, easy to access and roll, and easily fit in the overhead compartment of the small commuter plane from Phoenix to Flagstaff. In fact, they were pulling other roll-away bags to check in at the gate, but didn't give mine a second look. Interestingly, it kept things cool in the trunk when I stopped at various desert spots to take photos or stopped for a meal.

One thing that was a bit dicey was the pull out handle; in my rush to close it when boarding the first plane I pushed down and clipped my little finger by mistake. That was my inattention, but I thought it would be a firmer push than it was. On the other hand, it balanced nicely and even "stood up" beside me as I waited for my flights; I think that's more how you pack than anything.

For this trip I packed five short sleeve shirts, one t-shirt, one pair of long pants, underwear and socks, toiletries in a baggie as required by TSA, four CDs, a folder with maps and brochures, a hat, a stand alone GPS device and cords, and my Kindle reader; it all fit easily and without cramming. The smaller top opening was less useful as things would fall out of it unless the bag was laid flat; I only put my everyday essentials in there (suntan lotion, map, etc.). Lots of room!

I take several short trips a year and I will update this after a few more trips to let you know how well it stands up.

-----------------------------------------
December, 2013 update
I have now used this bag on seven trips since this initial one, for a total of 10 flight legs. The bag continues to hold up well, has never had to be checked in at the gate, and has even survived my overstuffing it on one trip and feeling the weight as I lugged it from one end of the Dallas/Ft. Worth airport to the other in 20 minutes during my run for a connection. The bag also survived well after being moved by a flight attendant to another section of the plane and jammed between two inflexible rollaways (grrr); but everything worked great when it was freed.
1010 comments| 389 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 15, 2015
Very inexpensive. But you get what you pay for. One of the wheels delaminated after only six trips. Really? In the picture, they appear to be urethane skate wheels, but forensic analysis of the failed wheel show them to be cheap plastic core with a thin rubber overlay. Now it wobbles and jams when rolling on carpet. I will see if "I" can replace the crap wheels with skate wheels that it should have had in the first place. Will report back. .....Added... Tried to repair, but wheel replacement is impossible. It is very cheaply constructed internally as well-- rather than screws holding the wheel assembly together, it was fastened by melting the plastic alignment posts to the body frame. Disassembly and repair are not possible. I do not recommend this unless for one-time disposable use.
review image
11 comment| 122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 16, 2016
Bought this product in March of 2015 because it was discounted thru Amazon. I probably didnt use more than 6 times when i took on a cruise. Flew from Boston to Puerto Rico and the end that didnt have the pocket totally ripped. I thought i was screwed but i received a free cheap replacement bag from Jetblue as it was the first day of our cruise and i needed a bag. I couldnt take the bag with me as proof of the poor quality construction so I took a few pictures so i could contact Samsonite when i got home. What's worse was that we didnt have sufficient room in the cheap bag Jetblue gave us for the return flight so we crammed more into our checked bag. We were one of those people transferring clothes and other items at the check in desk to make weight.

When i got home i called Samsonite after being on hold for 10 minutes the operator told me i needed to take it to a repair center. I explained that i was in PR when it happened and he told me they had repair centers in PR. Obviously i was going on a cruise so i wouldnt have been running around the island trying to get my bag replaced. I told him i had pictures and he didnt really care. I asked to speak to a supervisor and after another 5 minutes of waiting the original operator got back on the phone and told me the supervisor would have to call me back. I never received a call back.

I guess if you're not flying anywhere and can take the bag back to a repair center when it does break, pick it up for the price. If you need a reliable bag, spring for something of better quality and a manufacturer with better customer service.
review image
0Comment| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 26, 2015
I purchased this bag in 2013 and use at least once a week for overnight business trips. I have used as my carry-on for maybe two dozen trips and have always been able to board without questions even with CRJ/ERJ's. The bag has the main open compartment that packs much easier with packing cubes and holds several days of clothing and more electronics that TSA is usually comfortable with. Stand up is more an issue with correct packing as there is not an end support. The end pocket is a bonus for everything from Brita bottles/travel mugs to extra batteries and the like. I have had no problems with zippers or fabric even though I have not been kind in handling. The grey color does show soiling but cleans up nicely with spray cleaner. I guess the secret of this bag not being gate checked is that I always fold the handle and carry by duffel handle on top, roller boards seem to get their attention even if they are small enough to fit overhead without issue. I will replace with the same bag when this one fails.
on January 15, 2017
works great as a carry on. Its "sports bag" design is quite elastic too so it can store more clothes that I anticipated. It is also quite light when empty so the bag itself does not take up much of the allowed weight. Only drawback is that if you pack a lot of clothes it may scratch the ground when pulling from the handle and the material may tear. I did scratch it a bit in my first trip. Overall, would recommend, gets job done.
on September 8, 2017
Great for the price but one major defect is the front pouch. Can't access items in front pouch in standing position because items would pour out. Would be helpful to also have some extra pockets on the sides to slip papers and other small items.Overall, it's okay and a great deal. Hope it's durable.
on November 6, 2016
This bag exceeded expectations. Used it for my honeymoon, we traveled to 3 cities across Europe and it held enough clothes for 10 days (with some repeat outfits of course). I'm nearly 6' tall and I purchased this bag based on reviews saying the handle extended far enough for a tall person. It fit well in the overhead compartment of a larger plane, but on smaller craft it had to go in sideways (and luckily the flight was not booked fully so I was able to do that). Overall an excellent bag.
on June 9, 2017
Well you think Samsonite it has to be good there the king of luggage. WRONG has I found out Samsonite has different types of quality . The rollers will wear out very fast especially on rough terrain and the stitching is not that great after all it was cheap to buy
on April 12, 2017
Purchased this bag as a xtra luggage piece for my son going to school.. very disappointed it was so small but I'm going to keep it
on July 19, 2013
I read several reviews here at Amazon before I decided to buy this luggage. I knew it will not stand up on end, as other reviewers mentioned. I am a retired person, and I no longer wanted to use my other sturdy but heavy old luggage. I begun to hate lifting that heavy luggage to the overhead bin every time I travel. So, I think this the wheeled duffel that I want. There is only one pocket on one end for umbrella, magazine and book. When empty, is it exactly 5 lbs. The telescopic handle was made of plastic and I have not tested it if it will carry additional light and small duffel bag of my wife whenever I traveled with her while walking from the TSA inspection area toward the departure gate in the airport. However, it was made by Samsonite, and I trust their designers in thinking about additional weight the plastic handle will be subjected at the airport. For my life style of a retired early "boomer", this lighter duffel bag is perfect, especially if I will start getting arthritis in later years, and my joints starts to hurt. I told myself that I do not need the duffel bag with five outside pockets, because I no longer go to gyms or ballgames.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.