Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

on June 25, 2013
I got this two days before heading out for a five day visit to northern Arizona and southern Utah; I brought the bag along during the long car ride, on four plane trips, and two hotels. It was convenient, light weight, easy to access and roll, and easily fit in the overhead compartment of the small commuter plane from Phoenix to Flagstaff. In fact, they were pulling other roll-away bags to check in at the gate, but didn't give mine a second look. Interestingly, it kept things cool in the trunk when I stopped at various desert spots to take photos or stopped for a meal.

One thing that was a bit dicey was the pull out handle; in my rush to close it when boarding the first plane I pushed down and clipped my little finger by mistake. That was my inattention, but I thought it would be a firmer push than it was. On the other hand, it balanced nicely and even "stood up" beside me as I waited for my flights; I think that's more how you pack than anything.

For this trip I packed five short sleeve shirts, one t-shirt, one pair of long pants, underwear and socks, toiletries in a baggie as required by TSA, four CDs, a folder with maps and brochures, a hat, a stand alone GPS device and cords, and my Kindle reader; it all fit easily and without cramming. The smaller top opening was less useful as things would fall out of it unless the bag was laid flat; I only put my everyday essentials in there (suntan lotion, map, etc.). Lots of room!

I take several short trips a year and I will update this after a few more trips to let you know how well it stands up.

-----------------------------------------
December, 2013 update
I have now used this bag on seven trips since this initial one, for a total of 10 flight legs. The bag continues to hold up well, has never had to be checked in at the gate, and has even survived my overstuffing it on one trip and feeling the weight as I lugged it from one end of the Dallas/Ft. Worth airport to the other in 20 minutes during my run for a connection. The bag also survived well after being moved by a flight attendant to another section of the plane and jammed between two inflexible rollaways (grrr); but everything worked great when it was freed.
406 people found this helpful
|1010 comments|Report abuse
on November 15, 2015
Very inexpensive. But you get what you pay for. One of the wheels delaminated after only six trips. Really? In the picture, they appear to be urethane skate wheels, but forensic analysis of the failed wheel show them to be cheap plastic core with a thin rubber overlay. Now it wobbles and jams when rolling on carpet. I will see if "I" can replace the crap wheels with skate wheels that it should have had in the first place. Will report back. .....Added... Tried to repair, but wheel replacement is impossible. It is very cheaply constructed internally as well-- rather than screws holding the wheel assembly together, it was fastened by melting the plastic alignment posts to the body frame. Disassembly and repair are not possible. I do not recommend this unless for one-time disposable use.
127 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on February 16, 2016
Bought this product in March of 2015 because it was discounted thru Amazon. I probably didnt use more than 6 times when i took on a cruise. Flew from Boston to Puerto Rico and the end that didnt have the pocket totally ripped. I thought i was screwed but i received a free cheap replacement bag from Jetblue as it was the first day of our cruise and i needed a bag. I couldnt take the bag with me as proof of the poor quality construction so I took a few pictures so i could contact Samsonite when i got home. What's worse was that we didnt have sufficient room in the cheap bag Jetblue gave us for the return flight so we crammed more into our checked bag. We were one of those people transferring clothes and other items at the check in desk to make weight.

When i got home i called Samsonite after being on hold for 10 minutes the operator told me i needed to take it to a repair center. I explained that i was in PR when it happened and he told me they had repair centers in PR. Obviously i was going on a cruise so i wouldnt have been running around the island trying to get my bag replaced. I told him i had pictures and he didnt really care. I asked to speak to a supervisor and after another 5 minutes of waiting the original operator got back on the phone and told me the supervisor would have to call me back. I never received a call back.

I guess if you're not flying anywhere and can take the bag back to a repair center when it does break, pick it up for the price. If you need a reliable bag, spring for something of better quality and a manufacturer with better customer service.
96 people found this helpful
on September 24, 2017
This bag became my instant favorite for short trips. I go into my company headquarters once a month for a week and this bag's size is just perfect. The reason I am giving it two stars is for its lack of quality. I purchased it Jan/2017 and now Sept/2017 the bag has a huge tear by the wheels (See pic). And I will need to buy another one.
8 people found this helpful
on August 2, 2016
I spent July hopping around Kenya and flying safari links. The max baggage weight for safari link flight is only 15kg. No matter how full I packed it, I was always able to keep it under the max weight. The bag's light weight was a plus and reason I chose it over other bags - coming in at less than 5lbs. That left me with about 25 more pounds of packing limit.

I used compression bags too which really helped to pack it tight and I even managed to take 2 pairs of shoes! I never felt short on clothes or toiletries because I really could cram this bag full of stuff.

This bag took a real beating and held up much better than I expected. The handle is not heavy duty so don't pile a bunch of hand luggage on top. Over all I was very pleased. I'm now a reformed over-packer!
7 people found this helpful
on June 2, 2017
PROS:
- Very sturdy Samsonite build quality
- Decent accent color
- Wheels, handle extension works great

CONS:
- Black color on the inside ... would like luggage with a lighter color on the inside to see what I've packed / am packing.
- No flat bottom on the inside where the extension handles go. Would be nice if Samsonite included a flat (light colored) piece of plastic to place my clothes on so they don't have a indentation from where the extension handles are.

SUMMARY:
Wheels make a world of difference and are a life saver for most all my luggage needs!!! The quality of this duffel is very good. I have other Samsonite luggage and it has held up quite nicely (as well as this duffel) even after being tossed around by the baggage monkeys at various airports.
on November 12, 2016
Great piece of luggage, however, it is just about an inch to long to fit comfortably into the overhead bin on the plane. It fit, but not as easily as I had hoped. Now, I had packed it fully of clothes, and it handled that well, so it can handle alot of stuff, but might be just an inch or so too large for airline travel. As they keep reducing the size of carry on luggage, this should not come as a shock to anyone. Anyway, for as long as you can get by using this on the plane, it will help if you need to take a bunch of stuff while on travel or holiday. I have big clothes, and I was able to get 6 days worth of stuff in here - a real miracle bag.
3 people found this helpful
on June 24, 2016
Had this 15 months- used 3X and there are now holes at the bottom of the bag. It's not dragged about whatsoever and always carried on (never checked) to limit the possibility of damage. Low quality fabric at best- do not bother with this bag
8 people found this helpful
on September 7, 2016
I bought this bag in 2013 and I am still using it today. It's a great weekend bag and I use it all the time as a carry-on when I fly for a 5 day or less trip. I like how the duffel style and construction is more flexible and space efficient over a more structured bag. It makes it easier to cram into some of the more unforgiving overhead compartments in planes!

Key Negative
This is really nitpicking but over time the soft handle parts that velcro the straps together has started to wear out. The velcro does not stick very well anymore.

Key Positive
The extendable roller handle is very light weight (I'm guessing aluminum) and does not "feel" sturdy or substantial, but it has certainly withstood the test of time. I had jerked this bag around countless times or pickup up the bags entire weight with the metal handle and it still works just fine and collapses back properly.

Verdict
Very basic functioning bag that I am going on 3+ years with. For less than $40 purchase price that is a 5-star in my book!
on October 25, 2017
Bag was good looking. Was not very sturdy, but again it was cheap. So no complains about that. My issue was, an international airline did not allow it, because it didn't fit their size requirements for a cabin bag. So I tried to return it, which was all a big headache. The seller was charging me a re-stocking fee and a shipping fee, because he was presumptuous in saying that I had overstuffed the bag and that I had used it because the tags were not there. Of course I had used it, just once, and that's how I found out that the airline did not allow it. I dragged it may be 50 feet, that's all. And, I did not over pack it. I even mentioned that I liked the bag, but I had to return it because I would have a similar problem in the future and I can't use the bag. The seller made this return process very difficult for me and finally after several communications Amazon gave me an account credit for whatever the seller charged me. If you want to buy this, do not buy it from ebuyluggage.