Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Samsonite Luggage Universal Power Adapter, Black, One Size
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Dolly Parton Fire TV Stick Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on January 16, 2012
The adapter is the size of other adapters, so it's quite big, but I don't mind, because I tend to loose or misplaced small adapters.
I like this because it's universal, that means I can bring this adapter all over the world and it has 2 USB slots in it.
So far, I only use it to plug my Indonesian (same as European) appliances (cellphone charger, camera batteries charger, hairdryer) while I was traveling in the US. Note: this is NOT a voltage converter, so make sure your electronics can accept 110-240V.
There's a blue LED light indicating power coming through the adapter, which I like.
on December 18, 2011
I bought this to replace a Targus one because it didn't have an adapter for Australia or New Zealand. This one does and has 2 USB ports, additionally. The iPad charges from the USB port which leaves the plug for other devices. Not a small item, but very light and I'm really happy with it.
on February 21, 2012
Due to lot of traveling on different continents, and the numerous electronics that travels with me, these adapters are a must. Although, I wish the world would just moved onto one single standard... hopeless romantic.

I have had a couple of different adapters, which have broken apart, namely because of the mechanism pushing out the plug parts. This Samsonite seems to be the most solid of these three, and it's nicely designed, nice and sleek.

For me a new, because I haven't thought of it before, is the two USB's. These are a must, and I regret that I haven't had one before. On the last trip, at the airport I found one plug, which allowed three people to charge their phone: two USB's, and the standard plug-in. This was well appreciated by all.
on December 20, 2012
Seems today I am writing more negative reviews.

Used this in Germany. First off this item is supposed to be universal, but it barely fit ANY of the plugs in Germany. With some finagling it did work. Next, trying to plug the US item into the front was an effort. It seemed as if the plugs were jammed with something. I had to really push and force my tablet or cell charger plug to go in. Next.. the USB port did not work properly. I plugged my company blackberry into it and immediately got a warning that the amperage was off. So nix the USB port. Had to use a universal USB charger in the front.

Also a warning. Make sure your US items are rated to 220 volts and 50 cycles as well as 110 and 60, otherwise you will wreck your chargers.

In short, not worth the price. Minus 1 star for the poor quality, minus one star for the bad USB port, minus one star for the US plug being so darn hard to plug into the front.
on August 20, 2012
My boyfriend and I are working and traveling in Europe for a year. We like to travel light, so we tried to reduce bulk and weight in every way we could.

Since we're working, we needed to have our laptops and cell phones. This single adapter allowed us to charge a laptop and two cell phones (which charge over USB) simultaneously off of a single adapter.

We could have charged cell phones by connecting them to our computers, however they charge much, much more quickly connected to a wall outlet - and when you're traveling, sometimes that really matters. Also, we didn't necessarily have our computers with us all of the time, e.g. weekend excursions to medieval towns etc.. With this adapter, we could plug in both of our cell phones whenever, wherever we wanted, and have them both charge quickly from a single outlet. We encountered several situations where there was only one outlet available - on the Ferry, in our compartment on the train, and in rooms in medieval towns, to name a few.

Looking at other adapters, we saw some that took USB, but only had one USB outlet, or which had two USB outlets, but which would not let you plug in the USB devices simultaneously with a regular wall-plug device. The design of this adapter trumped every other one we saw.

Physically, it's sturdy and reliable. It plugs in solidly, and there's a light on the side indicating when it's getting power from the wall socket.

Notably, this adapter takes a 3-pronged US grounded plug. The other adapter we brought with us did not!

If you travel much and have any devices which charge over USB, you will likely be thrilled with this product.
on March 14, 2012
I have been using this for travel in the the UK and Asia and this adapter is really useful. In Asia, a number of places have adopted the universal AC wall plug which makes this somewhat less necessary, but it's always still good to have it on you just in case you get a hotel that is "old school". In the UK this device has been a "must-have" for me.

I like the easy switches that deploy the different prong configurations and the integral USB charger is great. Now I don't need to bring my chargers, just micro-USB cords.

The adapter itself is somewhat large, but that is probably unavoidable because of the integral USB charger and the large form factor of the UK plug.

So far, it has survived quite well being banged around in my backpack under my demo boxes and AC adapter brick, but it will need a few more trips under it's belt to determine long term reliability. So far, it's been great.
on August 16, 2012
Hi,

I bought this for my Indian Dell laptop. However the laptop plug has 3 prongs and description on this item says that it works for Asian plugs. However I am not able to plug my Dell plug into this since its 3 pronged.(3rd one is for earth).
Anyways the USB ports are the savings grace.

Regards,
Ankit
on January 6, 2012
After looking at a bunch of adapters, I was hesitant to buy this one because it didn't have a single review at the time. But it seemed to suit my needs best, so I went ahead and got one.

I haven't used it overseas yet, but I have used the USB ports at home. One drawback I saw even before buying was that it didn't mention having an 'on' light that indicated it was getting power when plugged in. I was quite happy to see that it does have a power light when plugged in properly. Plug it in and a little blue led lights up. Handy, especially when you're in a foreign land wondering if the power is really working.

It's about a standard size for this kind of adapter, but much more manageable than the black bag of adapters I used to carry around. It also feels pretty sturdy, not a cheap piece that will fall apart or fail in the field.
on June 14, 2012
I travel a lot and spent some time choosing an universal power adapter.
In fact I must say that travel across the globe with an universal power adapter is not a mandatory anymore - because almost everywhere you go, a decent hotel always have their own international-ready plug in the room, or, you can buy cheap adapter nearby.
But sometimes it is good to have your own adapter, just to be sure you'll be able to plug your stuff no matter where you go - at the airport, a cafe and so on.
That Samsonite Universal Power Adapter is probably the best I've seen. The adapter supports power outlets in 150 countries, and seems to be well-made.
Big advantage for me is the two USB ports. And the price is right.
Samsonite advertises its small size and "sleek compact design", but in reality it is in the average size of any other adapters, so don't expect any microsize miracle here, it's quite big.
Highly recommend.
on November 9, 2012
I bought it recently and was very disappointed. Is a bit bulky, but that's no complaint - as it replaces multiple adopters. The idea is really good. However, the slides you use to get the right type of male plug out have no mechanism to lock them in place. So, you can get the right sort of plug out - but when you insert it into socket, the slide tries to move back as the plug encounters resistance from tight fit. I could make it work but rarely obtained a solid connection without much effort. So, after one trip - it is going into trash. Good idea - poorly designed.

PS: The issue I encountered might well be a problem in a number of designs of universal adapter. I am still searching for a good one - but more cautiously...

See 1 answered question