Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Samsonite Outpost 3 Piece Nested Luggage Set - Black
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports

on March 30, 2008
I received this set of lugggage and was amazed at the quality for the price. I did lot of preliminary shopping of price, value and quality and will say unequivocably that this set is the best bargain on the Internet. The fabric is as heavy as any more expensive set, good wheels, good zippers, right size pieces to use for traveling, whether for a weekend or a week. I'll be taking several trips in the near future and expect to get great usage out of this set. Having traveled a lot I understand the potential for luggage to receive a lot of abuse. I've been there. For the price/value this lugggage should hold up as well or better than sets at twice the price.
You won't find better for a good basic set of luggage.
22 comments| 156 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 5, 2008
Samsonite thought of everything. The set looks great and has tons of compartments. It's also very sturdy. I'd stick with the black set because colored sets get dirty after being handled in the airport. I use this set all the time and it's been perfect! This set is much cheaper than luggage you find in the department stores and it's far superior. I love it!
on May 8, 2011
These bags are pretty poorly made. The wheels on the large bag broke off after 3 flights. I took it to the Samsonite Outlet store and paid them 10 dollars to send it to the repair shop. They had it delivered to my house fixed up and it was fine, but I'm still not impressed.

The large duffel bag is weak. I only use it on overnight trips, but the inside compartments are falling apart. The inside walls that separate the compartments rip at the seams. If you want a quality bag try out the Kirkland Signature 27" luggage at Costco. It's kind of pricy at 99 dollars a bag, but it's built like a tank and it has a lifetime warranty that can be taken care of at any local Costco.

I can't really comment on the other 2 smaller pieces, because they hold so little they are next to useless to me so they didn't get much use from me. I do use the toiletry bag though and honestly that is the only bag that I really like out of this bundle, I think it is great and it has held up to a lot of abuse over the years.

As for the warranty repairs, the Samsonite Outlet that took care of my warranty near my home went out of business. Now, there is no place I can take my bag for warranty within 200 miles. I would be careful before buying these by making sure there is a repair shop somewhere near your house. They seem sparse and hard to find.

I rate them a 3 out of 5, because if you do need the amount of bags that are in this set it is difficult to find them at this price. This is a decent set for the money it sells for. However, if you normally just travel with one bag and don't really need a set I would just splurge on a single quality bag because it seems like they skimped on quality to keep the price low. Also, with their warranty centers being hard to find (unless you're lucky), I would treat them as disposables.

Happy travels.
on December 1, 2008
This set is absolutely best buy in it's category. The quality is far better then what price would suggest. As for the zippers 'problem', it's the same like with all of the soft bags. Just a little bit more of extra caution and you'll be fine. I see no need in buying anything more expensive, especially when I have in mind that I travel a lot by plane.
on May 3, 2011
Cons:
-craftsmanship is cheap, considering it's Samsonite
-Fabric is somewhat thin, not as bulky/thick as normal Samsonites are
-The pull-out handles in the rolling suitcases seem a little flimsy, the metal work is questionable and I always feel like "any day, this metal piece is going to come out..." then again, it hasn't, yet!

Pros:
-price is cheap, considering it's Samsonite
-relatively well made considering the price and how much of a steal it was. I've used these a few times and they seem to be pretty sturdy (no tears, problems with the fabric, or problems with the zippers). Nothing has broken, but like I said under the cons...it's definitely not as well made/sturdy as the more expensive Samsonites!
-good 5 piece set, but it's mainly the 2 rolling suitcases and the dufflebag that are useful. The other two are just too small or inconvenient to be used, especially now with the airlines forcing you to cut down on bags!
on August 11, 2010
I purchased this set for an upcoming trip. All items were as described and were of high quality. This 5 piece set is a steal, and a complete value. Dealing with the company selling this item was great as well, shipping was fact ( under a week to ship across the country) and they communicated promptly whenever I had a question.

Hands down this is just a great set for the money, and on top of that Samsonite had a 10 year warranty, what could be better?
on January 12, 2011
Bags had a decent black cloth exterior that appeared hardy. Luggage space was decent. The "5-count" is kinda a sham as one of the bags is a dob kit but that's kinda to be expected at this price. The bags have been on two round trip flights with no apparent wear.
on June 5, 2014
Ordered this set as carry on luggage. One was too big one was correct. TWO were duffle bags. one was a shaving kit bag. almost usless. Then I had to remove the labels where others had returned the same set. box was a little damaged but I guess when its been shipped several times .... made in china not worth the trouble or the 32.85 I had pay to return it. Amazon needs to regulate it sellers better than this.
on August 14, 2013
I do not travel a ton. I probably used the suitcases about 30 times before the plastic button would not retract the handle. I contacted samsonite for a new plastic piece as it was a simple part to replace. They told me it was not in stock, and I would be sent one when it came in. After another few months the button broke on the other retractable. It has been months and I still do not have the button part from the first call.
on October 7, 2013
I bought this set for my daughter who has made several transcontinental trips and so far, so good. In fact, hers held up so well I bought a set for myself. For some reason on one of my pieces, the plastic base on which the case stands when upright (the wheel end) came partially off because somehow it broke away from 3 of its rivets. (Do read on for the good points) It is still otherwise intact. And Samsonite may cover the repair under warranty as it does not seem to be from carrier or user abuse.
Reading extensively about these and other suitcases did help me to take extra care re the zippers-slow and steady around the corners-and I've had no problems with the zippers. They CAN be a tad catchy around the corners, but remembering to go easy prevented this from being a problem at all for me. Likewise I read complaints about staining and I Scotchguarded mine.
The bags are sturdy and maneuverable. The nesting feature is great. If you use all the pieces you can get in a LOT, yet they all really do fit in the largest bag. One bag is styled slightly like a duffle with the zipper opening as a flap. Unlike a duffle though, this design stays rigid enough on the bottom and at the seams that clothes packed neatly will actually stay neat. It is small enough to be a carry on. Some of the smaller pieces can be secured onto larger ones by means of a sturdy velcro piece, I appreciate this feature. If you want your bags to stay closer to pristine and you travel by air often you do apply a fabric protectant. If you want an even sturdier excellent bag I suggest you look into the Samsonite Aspire line. They now come with multidirectional "spinner" wheels and frankly those are even easier to roll around, but one carry on of that type will cost $89.00 and up. If you want more bags and want to stay in the $150 price range, this is a great value.