|Screen Size||2.5 inches|
|Hard Drive||512 GB|
Samsung 830 - Series MZ-7PC512D/AM 512 GB 2.5 Inch SATA III MLC Internal SSD Desktop Kit with Norton Ghost 15
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Enables you to boot up your computer in as little as 15 seconds
- Energy efficient - improve your battery life by up to 30 minutes
- Outstanding Multitasking Performance - It's the ideal solution for your everyday computing needs, such as web browsing, document creation, viewing or editing multimedia files, playing PC games, etc.
- Superior Reliability – from the world's #1 DRAM, NAND Flash and SSD Supplier, all Samsung SSD's feature 100% genuine Samsung components
- Industry-leading Design - Stunning design and precision engineering – inside and out. Brushed metal case blocks dust and corrosion and it measures only 7mm thick, so it can even accommodate the latest ultra-slim laptop PCs.
- A complete, user-friendly solution – Comes with all the components you need to upgrade your desktop PC. Also includes Norton Ghost -- the most preferred consumer and business Drive Migration solution today
- Backed by a three-year limited warranty
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
The Samsung SSD 830 Series boasts superior random read speeds and faster sequential read and write speeds (up to 520 MB/s & 400 MB/s respectively). It's the ideal solution for your everyday computing needs, such as web browsing, document creation, viewing or editing multimedia files, playing PC games, etc. As the world's #1 DRAM, NAND Flash, and SSD supplier, Samsung has unique, industry-leading engineering resources, technologies, and manufacturing processes as well as more stringent quality and testing standards. All Samsung SSDs are designed and built completely in-house. Optimized for exceptional, sustained performance, the 830 Series features unrivaled reliability through its specially-engineered wear-leveling and garbage collection algorithms. The Samsung SSD 830 Series features stunning design and precision engineering – inside and out. It measures only 7mm thick, so it can even accommodate the latest ultra-slim laptop PCs. Magician Software Samsung's SSD Magician software eliminates the confusion and uncertainties of SSD management, making it simple for users to maximize the performance and lifetime of their Samsung SSD. The Samsung SSD 830 series is available with both desktop and laptop installation kits. The desktop kit comes with SATA data and power cables, screws, and a 2.5” to 3.5” adapter bracket. The laptop kit includes a SATA to USB adapter cable to facilitate easy data migration and a mounting spacer so that laptops with traditional 9.5mm drive bays can accommodate the Samsung SSD 830 Series' new slim profile. All Samsung SSD 830 Series models include a full version of Norton Ghost 15.0, rather than the limited data migration utilities included with most SSDs today. In addition to its robust data migration features, Norton Ghost 15.0 offers users advanced data backup and recovery functionality to ensure data integrity throughout the useful lifetime of the drive.
From the Manufacturer
Experience fast desktop PC performance--and prolonged battery life--with the Samsung 830 Series Solid-State Drive. Designed for desktop PCs, this data storage device has a capacity of 512 GB, making it ideal for everyday computing needs like browsing the web, creating documents, viewing multimedia files, or playing PC games. The product features a black-tone, brushed metal design, and at only 0.28 inches thick, it can fit in any computer. A complete desktop installation kit is included along with Norton Ghost 15.0 software that helps you simply and safely migrate your data from your existing hard disk drive to your new SSD.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
From what I've read on the matter... Samsung SSDs have a very low failure rate, second only to Intel, but far better than other competitors. This is also faster than Intel's current fastest SSD, and it's much cheaper. Speed, price, and reliability... all that together is hard to beat. Add to that, it has none of the hassles that all of the SSDs with Sandforce controllers frequently have (Kingstons, OCZs, Corsairs, Patriots, etc.).
Buy this without the kit, if possible, or with the notebook kit if you want a USB to Sata adapter.
I found it to be almost worthless. The 2.5" to 3.5" bay adapter came in handy, but I've gotten better ones for a few bucks on Amazon (that could mount 2 drives instead of 1).
I had done a little reading about Norton Ghost a while back, and it looked like a nice program to have. At a $70 price tag, it should be. It makes it a difficult process to clone your old hard drive to your new Samsung, though. It is not capable of copying your recovery partition, either.
I ended up scrapping the idea of using Ghost to copy my drive, and pulled out my trusty bootable Acronis True Image CD (that came with my old Kingston SSD). It made quick work of cloning my drive, and didn't require any software to be installed on my PC. Western Digital has a very useable version of their software available to download free on WD's website (the Western Digital version is free and can be used on any drive; however, there must be a Western Digital drive, either internal or external, connected to your system to start the program).
So, I didn't see much value in the desktop bundle, but I guess I can't argue with a $70 program being included (although, I'll be deleting it soon).
All in all, this is one of the best SSDs on the market currently, and at a very competitive price. The only shortcomings it has, are easily compensated for with free, or cheap, stuff. If I had another PC in need of a FAST SSD, I'd buy another of these in a snap!
I ended up choosing Samsung's drive over Crucial's drive for the following reasons:
1. Success and Brand. Samsung desperately needed a success in the SSD field since it's first attempt was met with a tepid reception. This subsequent attempt was very well put together in my mind. The drive utilized the latest in technology (i.e. SATA III). Furthermore, the drive is sleek, smooth, and sexy beast. Lastly, the pricing is a clear indicator that Samsung wants to be seen as a leading competitor in this field.
2. SSD Magician. Samsung's accompanying program SSD Magician provides an array of well thought options with a very easy to use GUI. Moreover, with your permission, it highlights and then changes options that negatively affect the drive performance. Furthermore, the program allows you to schedule OS optimizations and garbage collection empties. finally, one of the most important selling points, was the ability to upgrade the drives firmware without having to jump through hoops similar to flashing the bios. With this drive, I could do it just from windows.
3. Speed. This drive is fast. Really, really, really fast. Benchmark-wise my sequential write speeds are just over 300 mb/s and my sequential read speeds sit around 520 mb/s. 7.9 on the Windows Experience Index (WEI). To put how fast this drive is in perspective: Windows 7 Professional was installed in under 10 minutes, windows updates take about half the time to install in comparison to my non-ssd computer, and boot takes about 11 seconds from the BIOS finishing posting (total: 36 seconds). More importantly, if I blink when launching Adobe Photoshop CS5.5, I miss its flash screen!
4. Cost benefits. Samsung was really thorough with their kits. For instance, it included a mounting bracket (~$10), really bloody good Ghost data migration tool ($70), and a free top-selling, highly rate videogame ($50). So, I gained about $130 of nice tools/assets. At the time I purchased this, crucial's drive was $10 less than this drive. So, the $10 that I saved I would of had to reinvest to acquire a third party mounting bracket with no compatibility guarantees. However, I would have also lost out on the $120 worth of other goodies.
Positives (elaborated above):
Great Software Support
This drive does not play nice with Marvell controllers. But what SSD does?
SSD Magician does not recognize the drive in RAID setup.
The steps in the instruction manual detailing how to transfer an existing windows 7 install to the SSD are incomplete as a result of Windows 7 partition alignment. There are quite a few hoops that you have to jump through to get it working correctly that I'll leave to a third-party technology site to detail. In reality though, it is far better to do a fresh install and I highly recommend it.
Mounting bracket does not have holes on the bottom to secure the drive to a case tray. Your case will need to allow you to mount the drive via the side. (a.k.a it isn't quite a "universal" mounting bracket)
Price per gigabyte is a bit high as a result of the Crucial drive's price dropping significantly (at the time of this writing).
Overall, this product deserves a solid five stars due to the positives overwhelmingly outweighing the negatives and the lack of trouble I've experienced so far with it. It has met all my expectations and even exceeded one or two!
Most recent customer reviews