Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

I've been curious about Chromebook for a while, but finally took the plunge and got the Samsung Chromebook 2 after several weeks researching. A bit of gripe: FedEx did a terrible job of delivery, seemed like my Chromebook traveled all around the US before getting to me a full 3 days after Prime expected delivery date. The Samsung Chromebook 2 seems to have it all: powerful processor, more memory (4GB vs. 2GB on other brands) and new design.

I won't go through the technical details or features here; you could read them from the website description.

After using the Chromebook for a couple of days, all I can say is: I SO LOVED IT! The machine is fast, dead silent and does just about 80 percent of all the things I would use a laptop for daily. And I am a Mac and iPhone/iPad app developer guy; I have 2 MacBook Pros and all the I devices. My guess is for 90 percent of computer users, this is all you ever need and more. The machine is beautiful, light and supports everything you need. I currently have a Bluetooth headset and a mouse connected to it. The track pad is wonderful, very responsive to motions and requires almost no force to operate. Keyboard is great, if you are a touch typist you would love this keyboard; very nicely spaced and decent size. I feel like I am on my MacBook because they are so similar in design and operations.

Battery actually lasts as long as Samsung claimed; I have it all with video playing intermittently throughout the day and it has gone for 7 hours with about 15% left. Charging is fast too; It took about an hour to charge the Chromebook from 7% to full.

Worry about availability of apps? I was able to find most of what I want FREE from the Playstore. The Chromebook comes with free Google Docs, Google Sheets and Google Slides that allow you to work on Microsoft Words, Excel and PowerPoint documents. Installing additional apps is a few seconds affair as there was no downloading required. I added a 64GB microSD card to have more space for videos, documents and music. You will need a free Gmail account to used Chromebook; I have 2 different accounts so have 2 different set ups on my Chromebook. This is a very nice feature of Chrome OS: you can log in any Chromebook and have your own set up, or several people can use the same Chromebook, each with different set up.

This Chromebook will travel with me from now on unless I specifically need my Macbook Pro. I used to take my 13" MacBook Pro with me on trip, but no longer. For a regular computer users, this Chromebook could be the only laptop you ever need; unless you are a hard-core gamer, application developer or graphic artist who needs more power and application features for your work. If 90 percent of the time you use a laptop for emails, reading and browsing the internet, this is the perfect laptop for you.

9/22/14 update: I have this Chromebook for almost a week now, and like it even more. Watching a movie on this Chromebook is an awesome experience. The non-glare screen is easy on the eyes, while sharp with excellent color rendintion. Without a headset, sounds is still outstanding. I watch a movie with a scene that the actors were in side a house while it was raining outside, and I keep thinking it was actually raining outside! Chrome OS supports most of the major formats: .avi .mkv, .mp4, .m4v, .mov and more,so that save you time converting your video too. The only problem (personal) is I kept touching the screen, as I am so used to the iPad :-).

9/26/14 update: The Chromebook is acting up today. All of a sudden, I lost the mouse cursor on the track pad. I finally connect with Google Chrome support and a person tried to solve my problem. We spent almost an hour, tried everything from briefly disconnect the battery (Ctrl Alt Shift R) to Power wash (Refresh Power), to no avail. Finally, I was advised to return the Chromebook to Amazon. Just think if this happens after the 14 days return period! Amazon then gracefully agreed to shift me a new machine. Just to see if it works, I connect a USB mouse to the Chromebook and it works!! But I only get the cursor back with a mouse, the track pad remains non-responsive. In fact, I am writing this update on the defective Chromebook.

I liked this Chromebook so much that I ordered the 13" version for myself and promised to give this 11.6" Chromebook to my sister. The latest issue made me paused. I do not want this to happen after 2 months using the machine; it will be a mess to return to the manufacturer for repair. I still like it and will continue to use it; but less happy with it now.
66 comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 15, 2014
Finally received my Samsung Chromebook 2 (11.6" version, jet black color) and have had a day to get it set up, mess around with it, and compare it to my Acer C720 Chromebook (2GB), as well as my previous experiences with the original Samsung Chromebook that was released back in 2012. My initial up front experience is that I am overall very satisfied with the improvements that Samsung has made! There are some areas I wish they improved, but overall for the price, this is an outstanding way to experience the Chrome OS. I'll touch on a few of my in-depth thoughts below, and I'll update this all in the future as I have more experience with the device. I'm going to focus more on the hardware and less on the operating system or software, since the OS will remain fairly consistent across all Chromebook devices and plenty of information already exists about Chrome OS online:

Design/Materials/Build Quality: As mentioned above, I went with the jet black version. This new Chromebook 2 features Samsungs "stitched leather" design to the outside of the top shell, similar to what you see if you have ever used their Galaxy Note 3. It stands out a lot more when you see it spread across a much larger device like this. I'm going to be honest, I think some people are going to find this slightly tacky looking/feeling (especially the fake stitching around the edges), but personally I am a much bigger fan of it than I thought. For a computing device in this price range, you cannot really expect them to be able to throw on a full aluminum/metal case like you might find on a MacBook Pro or a higher end Ultrabook laptop. You're going to get something that is plastic or a more cost effective material, and honestly, I kind of like the way that this faux-leather design makes it stand out from other devices. And the overall build quality of the Chromebook 2 feels much improved over the original. It doesn't have as much "flex" to it, and even though it is still almost entirely plastic-based, it certainly feels like a step up. Also, compared to my Acer C720 side by side, the Samsung CB2 feels significantly higher in quality.

Display: My Chromebook 2 is the 11.6" model. This is one of the very few areas where I am finding myself wishing that Samsung would have improved this new model, even if it came at a slight cost increase. The resolution on the 11.6" model is only 1366x768, which is the same as you'll find on pretty much every other Chromebook aside from the Pixel (which is way too expensive), and the upcoming 13" version of the Chromebook 2 (which will more to a full HD 1920 screen). I'm actually OK with the resolution topping out at only 1366x768 on a screen of this size, but they are still using a TN-based panel when I think that they should have stepped it up to an IPS panel and really made it stand out. It's about on par with the screen on my Acer C720, doesn't feel like much of an improvement. I wouldn't consider myself too overly picky, but side by side with a device with an IPS panel, and the screen on the Chromebook 2 just looks kind of dull and washed out in comparison. According to the specs I've seen, even the 13" version of the Chromebook 2 is going to have a TN panel (just in higher resolution), so I wouldn't be surprised to hear more people complaining about this aspect.

Processor/RAM: The Chromebook 2 utilizes one of Samsung's own ARM-based chips, called the "Exynos 5 Octa 5420", which is rated at 1.9GHz. Most of the computing experiences in my life outside of smartphone use have been with either an Intel or an AMD processor; even my trusty Acer C720 Chromebook uses an Intel Celeron-based processor. I was a little hesitant to make the jump to a newer generation of Chromebook without an Intel processor since I know Acer is going to soon release a variant of the C720 with an Intel i3 chip. However, so far, I am quite impressed with how quick this Exynos 5 Octa chip has felt through normal use. I haven't run any actual benchmarking programs or applications (if someone has a suggestion, I'll be glad to try one, if they even exist for Chrome OS?), but directly comparing it side-by-side to the Acer C720 running on the 1.4GHz Celeron processor, this is no comparison. Apps load much more instantly on the new Chromebook 2, but the biggest difference can be seen when using anything that involves video. Doing a Google Hangout on my older Chromebook was always slightly laggy enough that it was moderately frustrating, especially when trying to multi-task during a hangout. That lag has seemingly disappeared with this new model, and in all honesty, I haven't found a task yet where I've been wishing that it was faster than it is now. This may also partially be aided by the fact that the Chromebook 2 has 4gb of RAM, versus my Acer C720 which only has 2gb, and my previous experiences with the original Chromebook 1 which also only had 2gb. Either way, the improvement in speed has been fantastic and you will certainly notice it.

Keyboard/Touchpad: This is one of the most important things to me on any computing device I own. Nothing is more frustrating than a keyboard with a weird design or layout that becomes a permanent hassle for the life of the device. Luckily, this might be the BEST overall feature of the Chromebook 2. Normally when I get a new device, I find myself needing a period of adjustment as I get used to the feel of a new keyboard, new keys, new layout. I found myself instantly loving the feel and use of the keyboard on the Chromebook 2. The keys feel sturdy and solid, and the spacing feels very natural between keys. The keys themselves have a very natural "curved" feel to the top of them that yields a very pleasant typing experience. Honestly the best possible comment that I think I can give an input device is that it feels so natural and correct that you immediately stop thinking about it once you start using it, and that is the case here. I didn't have many complaints about the keyboard on my Acer C720, but I can definitely say that the keyboard on this Chromebook 2 is noticeably improved and Samsung did a great job here. The touchpad itself is pleasantly wide (wider than the spacebar!) and feels accurate and smooth. Overall I can say without a doubt that this is the best keyboard and touchpad I've used on any Chromebook device to date outside of the Pixel.

Hard Drive/Storage: My 11.6" Chromebook 2 came with a 16gb solid-state hard drive, only a little over half of which is actually accessible by the user to use as storage. Everyone has different needs so opinions will vary on this, but one of the main draws of Google OS and the Chromebooks are how well they function as cloud devices. Other than space used to install apps, which for the most part are very small (20mb or less in size), almost everything else I use my Chromebooks for can be performed from the cloud or require very little onboard storage. There are many options available to store files, pictures, data on the cloud (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc), so I honestly don't think the storage space is going to be much of an issue for most people. Plus, being that it is a solid-state drive, it is VERY fast compared to traditional hard drives in terms of accessing files and data; also, since solid state drives have no moving parts inside, a lot more stable and damage proof for lugging it around on-the-go. Unless you are going to be installing literally hundreds of apps (most people probably only regularly use two dozen or less), or unless you regularly need to work where you have no internet access at all for extended periods of time, I think the size of the drive will suffice.

Battery: This is a section I will need to update further in the future. Samsung is claiming 8 hours of battery life on a full charge. I haven't noticed anything yet that would lead me to believe this claim is false, but I also haven't owned it long enough to go through a full charge from start to finish. I'll update my thoughts on this after I have run a few full cycles through the battery.

Speakers: I'll be honest, I don't personally use the built-in speakers a ton on any laptop or device I've owned. I'm typically either just using this for web browsing or productivity, but when I do listen to music with it, I've found myself using Bluetooth to connect to external Bluetooth speakers in the past (namely my Logitech Boombox or my Jawbone Jambox if I am on the go). I did test the speakers out for a while though on my Chromebook 2, and I have to say I am fairly impressed. Considering that the speakers are located on the bottom of the device, I was surprised at how well they projected sound. And considering their tiny size, they were able to get louder than I expected while remaining fairly clear. I wouldn't expect booming base from these, but they don't sound "tinny" either and have a decent balance to them. I'll still probably stick to using my Bluetooth speakers when I want to blast music around my house or when working outdoors, but I can't see the built-in speakers disappointing anyone who came in with reasonable expectations.

Other features: I'll come back to this and add to my review once I have had more time with the unit. Webcam, software, pictures, any other likes or dislikes that I find as I continue to use it further beyond the first few days.

Overall, this is a great product, especially when you factor in the value that you get for the money. If I could give it partial stars, I'd give it about a 4.6/5 (and the only deduction would really be because I wish they had upgraded the screen further). It's very very quick in everyday use; boots up almost instantly from sleep (or about 10 total seconds if you shut it off completely), gets very solid battery life, and ChromeOS allows you to easily do almost any normal computing task that you would normally do with Apple OS or Windows. It's very lightweight and portable, and the build quality is solid. If you come in expecting this to perform like a $1000+ i7 Ultrabook or a MacBook Pro, you might leave disappointed. But other than that, especially at a price point of just over $300 at launch, I feel like the Chromebook 2 is not only going to sell a lot of new customers on the Chrome OS, but offer a very noticeable speed and function upgrade to people who are using previous generation Chromebook models. If you have only used traditional laptops your whole life and this is your first experience into Chrome OS, your mind is going to be blown when you first realize that you are INSTANTLY at the desktop and ready to go when you open the laptop up from sleep mode. I will revisit my review and update it further as time passes and I notice new things to comment on. Anything you want me to review that I missed, let me know in the comments and I'll come back and add my thoughts.
2424 comments| 404 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon June 29, 2014
Color: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I wasn't sure about Chrome OS. I mean, when it's described you get a sort of "meh" reaction. "So it's all in the browser? It requires being online? It can't run Windows, Android, Mac, or Linux programs?" is what pops to mind. I was in this camp, too. I didn't think a laptop that relies on cloud-based services for 80% of what it does could be useful. Boy, was I wrong!

First, though, I'll say a bit about the hardware: Sexy. I know the faux leather top is just a sort of foamy plastic, but it looks and feels nice. The laptop is slim, sleek, quiet, cool, and fast. It boots up faster than anything I've ever owned, save for Android or iOS tablets. The dual USB ports, micro SD card slot (yes, micro, because so few new electronics are bothering with full-sized SD cards anymore), and HDMI port are all nice additions to round out this sleek laptop experience.

The keyboard is especially nice. I'm a writer, and to me the quality of a keyboard is important in a laptop design. Equally as important is the quality and sensitivity of the trackpad! I've had laptops with good keyboard that were completely spoiled by the fact that the trackpad was overly-sensitive, causing me to accidentally move the cursor around the screen while typing. None of that happens here. I'm not being hyperbolic when I say this is perhaps one of the best-designed trackpads I've used in decades of computing. I like it even better than the trackpads on my old MacBooks, and those were high quality. It's WAY better than the trackpads on more recently-owned systems like the ASUS T100, the Microsoft Surface Type Cover 2, and my last Lenovo laptop. This was, frankly surprising. I did not expect to like the trackpad this much-- Especially since I've never been very fond of trackpads in general.

The screen is sufficient for a system designed for getting some work done. The resolution could be higher, but having an HDMI port built in mitigates that problem if I'm looking to push more pixels.

Speedwise, I'm quite happy. It doesn't lag with multiple tabs open and handles Chrome OS games quite well. Web-based games also seem to be snappy. I doubt most people will feel they're being cheated on speed or graphics performance, considering this is a Chromebook.

Which brings me to my new-found acceptance-- indeed, admiration-- of the Chrome OS. I honestly didn't think I'd like Chrome OS this much, but I've been swayed over from having a "blech!" reaction to having a "I think I'll do that on my Chromebook" reaction. What I mean by that is that the Chromebook is so quick to load, such a pleasure to interact with, that when I need to do some basic work, get online for any reason, or even check out some media, the Chromebook is quickly becoming my go-to device. it's on -instantly- when I open that lid. Chrome remembers all my settings, and Google Drive transfers all my data from my desktop whenever I need it. It functions just like Chrome on my desktop PC, meaning I can go to my work website and not have to worry about missing plugins or not supporting the web protocols (unlike most Android tablets). It's just a pleasurable, easy experience.

Here are some questions I had about Chromebook, along with the answers I learned:

► "Can I run MS Office on it?"
No, but it comes with Google Docs built in, and Google Docs lets you view, edit, and create MS Office documents. It's not as comprehensive as a fully-featured MS Office suite, but most people don't even use 50% of Office's features, and as I've learned, pretty much everything the average user would need is available in Google Docs.

► "Can I watch videos in Chrome OS?"
There's a built-in video player, and you can get others in the Chrome Web Store. You can also view movies and TV shows from every major streaming service like Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, Crackle, CinemaNow, and of course YouTube, DailyMotion, and other sites.

► "Can I view and edit photos?"
Yes! Viewing, of course, is built into the system. Editing can be done with a variety of Chrome apps and extensions, like PicMonkey and Pixlr Editor. Pixlr Editor is very similar to Photoshop.

► "Couldn't I just get a regular Windows/Mac laptop and use the Chrome browser to get the same stuff?"
Yes, you can access most of the apps and sites from Chrome on any system, but the appeal is the speed with which Chrome OS runs, the fact that you don't have all the other OS stuff running in the background, looking for updates, waiting for things to load, etc. It's the same experience, but on a Chromebook it's MUCH faster and easier.

► "If I can't run Windows programs or Android apps, then how do I download an antivirus?"
You don't need to!!! That's another awesome thing about Chrome OS-- It isn't vulnerable to viruses, trojans, worms, and other malware by design. Right out of the box, you're up and running without needing to connect to an antivirus service, pay for a subscription, or deal with background scans or downloads slowing down the system. Chrome OS is secure. You never have to worry about all that stuff. Just get online and get work done.

► "Can I play games?"
Yes. There are plenty of web-based games, and the Chrome Web Store has several games to choose from. Now, you might not have some popular games like Minecraft, but there are still some quality games to play and waste some time. If you're looking for hardcore gaming, you and I both know you're never going to look at a Chromebook as a serious contender, but then, you're also not going to find a super-thin, super-light, super-fast gaming laptop for anywhere near this price.

► "Does it always have to be online?"
No. There are many offline apps available. Head over to the Chrome Web Store and check out the "Offline Apps" collection.

► "What about basic functions?"
Calculators, note-taking, calendars, alarm clocks, translators, banking apps, and all manner of basic applications are available, and they are fast!

Finally, I asked myself how much of my time at my computer is spent online. I was surprised at the answer: "practically all of it". I honestly don't run all that many programs offline these days. Most of my time is spent on the Web, with lots of time spent in email, shopping sites, work websites, entertainment sites, etc.. If you really examine what it is you do with your computer or tablet, you might find the same thing. I'm not even a big fan of social media like Facebook or Twitter, but I know lots of you folks are, and again the Chromebook is going to handle those tasks admirably well.

So who is this thing for? Anyone who needs a fast, light, thin laptop to get online, do some work, watch some videos, play a few games, edit some documents or spreadsheets (Google Docs), edit some photos (Pixlr), edit some videos (WeVideo is pretty cool), do some basic CAD (AutoCAD360), check Facebook, send Tweets, check & send gmail, check & send Outlook mail, video chat, listen to music (Google Music, Prime Music), transfer files between systems (Google Drive, Amazon Cloud Drive, Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive), and even remotely connect to your desktop PC (Chrome Remote Desktop) and work on it from afar.

Who wouldn't benefit from a Chromebook? I guess if you need a laptop that will play the hottest, newest games in 3D, a Chromebook isn't for you. If you need to do super-intense professional video editing on your laptop you'd best go for something Windows, Linux, or OS X based. If you need to run a very specific piece of software on your laptop and can't find the Chrome OS equivalent in the Web Store on on any website, you'll have to go with the system that software was made for.

For everyone else, the Chromebook is the nearly-perfect laptop. It combines insane boot/wake up speed, essential functions, and excellent hardware design into a laptop that handles most functions modern Internet dwellers need.

I would say the Chromebook is especially great for people who aren't all that tech-savvy. They'll never need to sit through a Windows update, a virus scan, or get a BSOD. They'll never have to figure out some ultra-technical way to make the computer do something, because Google really does make almost everything insanely easy and fast. There's just not much to screw up on a Chromebook!

However, I do have ONE minor gripe about the Chrome OS, which is why I'm only giving four stars instead of five in this review. Currently, Chrome OS does not provide an easy way to turn a web page into a desktop or taskbar icon. You can bookmark any page, just like in Chrome, but you cannot drag a URL to the desktop or taskbar and make it into a clickable launch icon without going though some convoluted steps. It CAN be done, but not easily. From what I have read, Google is aware that people want this feature and they're working out how to do it with just a couple clicks. For now, however, you're stuck opening the Chrome browser and clicking the link in your Bookmarks, or finding an official Chrome app/launcher/link that provides one-click access.

This is a minor caveat (and as I said, one that Google is working on) and so it's only costing a star from this review. Have no fear, however, about the hardware involved here. The Chromebook 2 is a fine example of sleek, sexy laptopping (I know. "Laptopping" isn't actually a word. I still like it.) and I'm certain that anyone who gives it a chance will love what they can do with the Chromebook 2.

► Final Verdict: FOUR STARS.

► Recommendation: Unless you're an elitist, professional video editor, hardcore gamer looking for a portable rig, or a Google-hater, you probably want to get one of these to complement your other Windows/Mac/Linux PC, or to stand alone as a simplified way to get online, get work done, and have a little fun. Give it time. You may become a fan.
66 comments| 253 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 3, 2014
Because Chromebooks are so new and not widely used, invariably a review of this item has to be a review about the Chromebook OS as well as the machine itself. I'll start with the OS.

I have been intrigued by Chromebooks for a while but have been hesitant to try one because of their limitations. Recently I needed to replace my laptop, but did not feel like plunking down a lot of cash for a new one. I have a desktop PC with Windows 7 in good condition for running any special software that I may occasionally need, so I figured that if I ran into things the Chromebook could not handle I could always go back to my desktop for that. As it turns out, I find myself going back to my desktop very rarely. There are two programs -- an accounting program and an image processing program -- that I need to run on the desktop, and both of these I would prefer to use on the desktop anyway for the larger monitor. For everything else the Chromebook not only does it, but does it faster and with less hassle. If I need to send an email, upload some photos, check the news, or make a quick edit to a document, I can complete the task on my Chromebook in the time it would take my PC just to startup and become functional. It starts up so quickly that I don't even think about it -- it is basically like opening a book. The OS, from the user's point of view, is completely an afterthought. You just switch on the machine and start working. And you don't have to mess with anti-virus or anything like that. It is such a worry- and hassle-free device that I can't believe they aren't more popular. For anyone who dislikes doing PC maintenance or finds Windows confusing, this is definitely the system to go for. When I first read reviews of Chrome, some said that if you wanted to experience Chrome, just maximize the Chrome browser in your PC and that was basically what it was like. Not true (at least in the current version). There are a number of apps built into the system (handy stuff like a calculator) and more that you can add on (nearly all for free) from the app store. There is also a file manager for managing external storage devices as well as files stored in the machine's own solid state drive. It is all very intuitive and easy to use. I glanced through the help menus one time just to learn some shortcuts and such, but it was hardly necessary. Once you get connected to the internet you will be off and running. The system is also ideal for users who are using cloud-based apps like Google docs, Evernote, etc. If you are not already using cloud-based apps, using a Chromebook will likely get you hooked on them. You always have access to your files wherever you are, and you don't have to worry about losing because your computer crashed or something.

So clearly I am sold on the OS. How about the machine? I was also pleasantly surprised with the quality of the machine, especially for the price. It is very thin and lightweight, perfect for carrying around. It is something you can slip into a briefcase or bookbag and hardly know it is in there. My previous laptops all look massive in comparison. I have seen some negative comments about the stitched styling of the top -- personally I think the texture looks and feels nice, and the stitching is reasonably subtle and not cheap looking. It is not brushed aluminum or whatever, but you are not paying for brushed aluminum (nor should you in my opinion). This is a machine that looks good and simple, and absolutely gets the job done. The keyboard is pretty solid, although I am used to deeper keys (more like an external keyboard), and I love the simpler layout that the Chrome OS makes possible. Huge track pad and very responsive. I am not enough of a techie to comment on the technical specs really, but I would say that 4 gb ram seems like more than enough to be running a lightweight OS like this. As for speed, as I mentioned above, everything I have done on this is lightning fast, including video streaming (HD) etc. The monitor is about average -- I have no complaints about it except that I agree with some other reviewers that the viewing angle is not great, but for personal use it works well and I have watched lots of videos on it and done lots of reading at generally think it is a solid monitor for the price. Speakers are average / typical for a laptop. I have not clocked the battery runtime but it is off the charts compared to any laptop I have ever owned. I don't even think about the battery, just charge it in if I happen to be near the power cable (sometimes only every couple of days depending on usage). If you are used to a Windows PC I am sure it will be better than the runtime you have now.

In conclusion, this is the laptop I always wished was possible. It is inexpensive, requires no maintenance or software, and it does nearly everything you want very quickly. Even if you are buying it just to use on the go, you will likely find that it quickly becomes your primary machine, even if you do need to go back to your Windows machine from time to time for a special application.
on August 29, 2014
Wow! Just WOW!

I purchased an item thinking that I actually stole it from Samsung and Google.

The build quality of this machine is fantastic considering it's price.....and it was evident the minute I opened the box and lifted it out. The solidity of it is just amazing. It feels far more expensive than it really is....okay, I'm impressed with the build.

Now, I turn it on......BOOM! It's on! No waiting, no downloading updates (well just a little one) and no please wait 20 minutes while we get your machine ready for use...BOOM! ON! I've used Google Chrome for over 2 years now and all I had to do is input my Google email address and password and everything from my taped up, held together with chicken wire 2 year old Lenovo is on Chrome! Amazing! Bookmarks, contacts....everything....and it's quite fast for the price.

A must buy!
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on August 19, 2014
I don't write many reviews but I felt I should write one on this Chromebook 2.
First, let me say I am not new to the Chromebook. I purchased one back in 2012 it was a Samsung and at the time it first came out I forked out $450.00 for it but my wife loved it and used it everyday since the day I bought it. Well, she got her new one yesterday and it took me less then 5 minutes to set it up.
Now the look and feel of the new one is much better then the old Chromebook, not saying the old one was that bad. That was the plus side now for the performance. My wife like to watch one soap opera, which she watches everyday. On her old Chromebook it ran great, but on the new one it would pause, skip, and jerk. Now the new unit has 2 gig more memory and a better processor so I didn't expect this.
Well, I went on the help forum for the Google Chrome and tried a few things, like turning off extensions and logging on as guest, it helped some but it still runs slower then the old one.
My wife is going to give it a couple of days and decide if she wants to send it back. This is why I am only giving it three stars.
I also have to be honest with you the soap she watches is on ABC and they don't do videos very well. I try videos from youtube and they work much better. I just feel the overall performance is not as good as the older Chromebook. By the way you can find the old one much cheaper. I missed out on buying one a deal of the day for $85.
How this review will help with your decision making.
11 comment| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 27, 2015
I’ve been using the Samsung Chromebook 2 for a few days and am ready to give some impressions. I have been following the development of Chrome OS for a while now. A year ago I pre-ordered the ASUS Chromebox, realizing it would be a good, cheap way to get to try out the OS, plus would fulfill the need for a second desktop computer (I already had a spare 24 inch monitor sitting around). The OS was quite usable a year ago, and has seem some growth since that time, with bug fixes and added features such as the ability to download movies from Google Play to watch offline, and support for Microsoft Office documents has been improved. There is a good selection of apps that will run offline and all your Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides are stored locally as well as on Google Drive. When online the browser can be set to respond to “OK Google,” just like on Android. No matter what Chrome OS device you pick, study the Help file in detail so that you understand the OS’s quirks (like how to right click!).

I like to buy locally if possible, so I checked out a couple of stores. Just based on style the Samsung was the clear leader. Locally the stores had the silver Intel CPU model, and I got to check it out fairly thoroughly and thought it would do what I wanted. I went home to compare specs and read reviews, and that’s when I learned about the black model with 4GB of RAM and the Exynos processor here on Amazon. My ASUS performs OK with 2 GB so I figured that a 4GB model would be a good choice, although I wasn’t sure how the ARM processor would affect performance. Several professional reviews that I read complained that the Exynos was a bit laggy compared with the Intel processors, but they were really pushing it hard in their tests, which is exactly what I would expect a pro reviewer to do. Based on reviews on Amazon by actual users, I decided the Exynos version would be OK, and I really liked the looks of the black model.

I’ve tried to test every possible feature of the Chromebook 2 in the past few days. No need to comment on the excellent keyboard and trackpad, as that has been well covered. As far as speed, I think it is OK. Not the fastest laptop by any means, but is adequate for light computing and document processing. YouTube videos run just fine, and I have used Chrome Remote Desktop with good results. Responsiveness for document processing is pretty good, with just an occasional keystroke lag. Audio both ways seems to be fine on Google Hangouts. One thing that isn’t addressed on the Samsung web site is the design of the headphone jack. In fact, it is a four conductor connection that supports both microphone in and stereo audio out, so you can plug in an earbud/mic combo of the type used with mobile phones. The Chromebook connects with our Chromecast just fine.

I don’t have any issue with the screen and, in fact, I'm pretty well pleased with it.. It’s plenty contrasty for me, and you can dial it up to “torch mode” if you want. A computer is useless if you can’t do I/O, so a good keyboard, trackpad, and screen go a long way toward keeping the user happy in my opinion. If you keep the screen turned down the battery life goes up. Speaking of battery life, of course it varies with what you’re doing and screen brightness, but it appears that eight hours is an honest number for average use. UPDATE: After another week of use I'd say that seven hours of battery life is a good, real-world number.

The HDMI connection works just fine, and I’ve tested it both directly to our television receiver and with an HDMI-to-VGA adapter to a projector. By the way, the HDMI port powered the adapter just fine and didn’t require external power from a USB port. I bought a Class 10, 32GB Sandisk microSD card from Amazon for about $15 and discovered two things I had not expected: The default download location can be pointed to the SD card, thus saving space on the SSD, and the Sandisk card comes with a full size adapter, so I could put it in the full-size slot on any of my other computers to transfer files if needed, or could actually use it in a camera if I wanted. By the way, speaking of cameras Polarr appears to be a good, offline-capable app that emulates Lightroom and will process RAW files.

One last thing, another reviewer suggested getting the AmazonBasics 11.6-Inch Laptop Sleeve to go with this Chromebook. I did that and it is a snug but good fit. You need to stretch it a bit when pulling the zipper over the corners, but it is a nice, padded case for the price.

Overall, if I could give fractional stars, I'd rate the Samsung Chromebook 2 with Exynos processor about a 4.6. It does what it is supposed to quite well and has an interface that is easy to live with.
on February 26, 2015
It's very smooth, cute, and light. The top is leather didn't expec that bonus and the keyboard is smooth and easy to type on. It moves a little slow and I expected because of the details I read before I bought it. But if it's just for little simple things like browsing the web, typing a few doc and saving and editing pics it perfect!!!
review imagereview image
on October 3, 2014
I bought this unit a few weeks ago. Light, fast starting, it does everything I need to do, mainly to update my profile, something a few web sites do not allow me to do via mobile devices, and cut my cord from windows. Definitely my travel pc so I don't have to use a public pc.

If you intend to watch videos, stay away from this book, because the display is mediocre. Remind me of the old TFT days when I had to tilt the panel or adjust my position to get a passable view of the screen. It's so 80's.

3 stars for the book, 0 for display.
on January 24, 2015
Update December 20,2015: I've had this Chromebook for almost a year now and I have to say it has not disappointed me whatsoever. Still runs just as fast as it did when I first bought it in January. Overall, really satisfied with this machine I have used it as both a college student and at my job creating documents for my supervisor etc. Excellent Product!!
I have to say like many others here I was quite skeptical about purchasing a computer that is mostly meant to be connected to the internet and lacks Windows, MAC OS, etc however when I first started using the Samsung Chromebook 2 my world changed. It runs so fast and smooth, not to mention the design looks great. I've been using Google for years and it refreshing to see that as soon as I logged into my account it was all there, my emails, my pictures, my documents. I want to emphasize 2 features about this computer: first of all like I previously said it runs lighting fast with no lag, smooth and the second the simplicity of this computer is phenomenal even a seven year old could use it. Highly recommend for people who mostly surf the web and even if you need to basic Microsoft Word, Excel etc Google directs you to use the online versions of said software...please do not hesitate to buy this computer. Very satisfied costumer.