BCA Month Salon Beauty Ali: A Life Women's Coat Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

on October 11, 2014
Oct 2014. It has all the outputs I've ever used including the one I needed for proper aspect playback, component. It has HDMI, Component, Composite, L/R audio.

This player appears to be very good. The unit played flawlessly through a commercial disk which had multiple confirmed glitches on another manufacturer's player. It has played every DVD I tried including, commercial, DVD-R, Full Screen, Wide Screen on standard definition, and native wide formats such as 2.35, 16:9, 16:9 letterboxed (2.35), and 4:33. One way or the other I managed to get the aspect correct and usually it was trivial. Normally I adjust with the TV but it appears the player will do the adjustments also.

The controls are a little weird at times including one time the player had to be unplugged to reboot it. This happened when I was called away after powering up and did not insert a DVD soon enough. The tray opening sounds harsh but might be fine. Only time will determine its long term durability. Check with me in a year if you need to know.

Nov 2014. Some non-fatal oddities and one annoying problem have been noticed on DVD-Rs recorded from broadcast recordings on three other recorders.
1) One disk kept changing the speed on the video playback. Sometimes it was faster than the audio and many times slower. The audio was good throughout. On another brand player, the disk played fine.
2) On all DVD-Rs and some commercial DVDs there is an audio pause or pop at the chapter marks. If the chapter is at an ad or other logical place, it is not noticeable but many of the disks have marks every 5 min and it pops on each one. Again, they play fine on another brand player.
3) The player squeaks lightly sometimes.
4) On the DVD-Rs made on one brand recorder, the first show auto-starts and the menu is not accessible. To get to the second and later shows, it is necessary to 'tab' through all previous chapters. This does not happen on any other player I have tried and could be a problem on some DVDs.
on February 24, 2016
This was super easy to install and set up. I usually just allow my poor, overworked husband to deal with this stuff, but my 8 yr old was very anxious to start watching movies that she hadnt been able to see since our last cheapo DVD player bit the dust. So I decided to give it a try. We dont use our TV set for anything except DVDs, so I dont have to deal with any WiFi or anything. Just match the colors and it was ready to go. Im not sure why but it was making a buzzing sound, I removed the red cord and that stopped. I don't know why, but hey, it's working and that's all I care about. Hopefully this will be a long lasting DVD player for us.
on October 4, 2016
I needed a DVD player with an HDMI jack. I didn't need anything fancy, just wanted a simple little DVD player. This fit the bill! Had it out of the box and connected within a few minutes and it works great! I
on April 24, 2017
I just wanted a simple, easy to connect and use DVD player. Took a chance on this one, after reading several reviews about it and others. I just wanted it for the bedroom, but needed it to play older as well as newer DVDs! So far, it plays everything, including 20 year old music CDs! Quite confused by all of the "up-converting, regional stuff, country of origin stuff, etc", crap I had never heard of. Since I have 3 large Samsung 4K tvs, & 2 Samsung DVD players already, I decided to go with them again. Works with my Samsung TVs, & plays everything I've put in it. Plain, simple and easy to use DVD player.Dont let all of the confusing lingo sway you, this is a great all around player. Easy connections too.
on December 17, 2014
I was hesitant to buy this with so many people saying it's not that great, but I'm glad I did. It's small, it's quiet, and it works great with my HD LCD TV. Super easy to set up, and I've never had any problems. Plays old and new DVDs (not BluRay, but that's not what I wanted it for).
on May 19, 2015
Really GOOD machine. I've had mine 1-1/2 years. On my unit, the buttons on front have to be touched "just right" or they don't respond, so you have to get friendly with it, which is a small adjustment, no trouble. Good memory, quick load... pretty good with defective discs (I get some from the library that are hopeless)....simple and non-redundant....mostly fool-proof
The remote died at about 1 year, but getting a good universal is smart..I did not get a warranty replacement that I was entitled to.
I just bought another C500 for my mother, and the RCA RCR503BR remote (which I might wish I had for myself).

I WAS shopping for a Sony that comes with a "multi-brand" remote, but the people at Sony had wrong information everywhere, and were a useless and frustrating waste of time just as they have been in my past (very bad) experience. They had very good products 40 years ago, but now I'd rather do business with better companies with intelligent, organized support.
on December 25, 2010
The DVD picture looks very sharp via the HDMI cable. Only problem is that it's quite noisy when a DVD is playing inside the machine. If you can deal with a slight hissing noise (emitting from player), get it. If not, you should look for another product.
0Comment| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 10, 2016
First the good: Amazon came through and processed a refund even though it was a few days past the normal refund period. And the problem is not with Samsung overall, but with this particular item. Our Samsung phones and TVs have been great. Alas, the DVD-C500 wasn't.

The first unit we received, while it provided a superb picture, wouldn't turn on after only two uses. To Samsung's credit, they replaced it promptly and easily under warranty. However, they failed to return the DVD that was stuck inside the unit, despite promising to do so.

The second unit also failed to power up after fewer than 10 uses. Fortunately, there was no DVD in it.

Thanks to Amazon for stepping up to the plate and making things right. I have ordered a replacement (Sony) player from Amazon.
on September 5, 2015
This is the second Samsung DVD-C500 DVD Player that I have purchased through Amazon Prime. The first was very loud and I returned it and ordered the second. Wish I had returned it as well now it is to late. This one as some of the other comments have said has some problems with the controls not operating consistently. I did not become aware of this until the window of return had passed. Guess I could send it back to samsung it has not been 1 year but will have to get another as a repair will take at least 1 month or several more.
So why you should not buy it is that if you do not do everything in a particular order the machine shuts down and the only way to get it to accept a CD or open the drawer is to unplug the unit from the electrical source and start again. And yes I have been doing this to watch my CD's. A used player has come into my life and I can now send this to Samsung at my expense of course. Maybe it will get fixed. Anyway it is not reliable at least at the date of this one's manufacturing. Picture quality is good if you can get it to run!!! Save yourself the headaches and don't buy it!
on November 20, 2016
Like the front panel controls as well as a remote. Like the wide chassis for stacking with other components. Remote is intuitive. Picture quality is good. Sometimes when you turn the unit on with a disc already in it, it plays but won't recognize the remote until you eject the disk and start over.