|Screen Size||2.5 inches|
|Hard Drive||500 GB 500GB|
Samsung Electronics Samsung 840 Series Solid State Drive (SSD) 500 GB SATAIII 2.5-Inch MZ-7TD500BW
|Price:||$350.00 & FREE Shipping. Details|
Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) is a service we offer sellers that lets them store their products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products. Something we hope you'll especially enjoy: FBA items qualify for FREE Shipping and .
If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you increase your sales. We invite you to learn more about Fulfillment by Amazon .
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Optimized to improve everyday PC productivity, including web-browsing, email, multimedia and gaming
- Enables you to boot up your computer in as little as 15 seconds
- Energy efficient - improves battery life by up to 50 minutes
- Solid-state design provides greater shock protection for data and brushed metal case blocks dust and corrosion
- Worry-free data security with AES 256-bit full-disk encryption
- Superior multi-tasking performance with 4th-generation 3-Core Samsung MDX Controller
- 100-percent genuine Samsung components from the #1 memory manufacturer in the world
- Backed by a three-year limited warranty
There is a newer model of this item:
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Compare to Similar Items
This item: Samsung Electronics Samsung 840 Series Solid State Drive (SSD) 500 GB SATAIII 2.5-Inch MZ-7TD500BW
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, MZ-75E500B_EU B00P73B1E4
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||Bargain Depo||yitech||Amazon.com||RBCELL LLC|
|Hard Disk Size||500 GB||500 GB||500 GB||512 GB|
|Data Transfer Rate||750 Megabytes Per Second||6||6 Gigabits Per Second||6|
|Hardware Interface||sata 6 0 gb||sata 3 0 gb||sata 6 0 gb||sata 3 0 gb|
|Optical Storage Read Speed||530||540||540 MB/s||540|
|Optical Storage Write Speed||330||520||520 MB/s||520|
Please help us improve this feature. Tell us what you think of this feature.
From the Manufacturer
Upgrading your PC with a Samsung 840 SSD is an economical way to breathe new life into an aging PC. The 840 reads, writes, and multi-tasks at incredible speeds, enhancing boot-up, application loading, and multi-tasking performance. No moving parts means no hard drive spin ups, no noise, and superior data protection. This version of the 840 Series SSD has a capacity of 500 GB.
Boots up, downloads files, and performs everyday computer tasks more quickly than typical hard disk drives. View larger.
Fast Performance for Downloads, Gaming, and More
With Samsung's 840 Series SSD, everyday tasks on your desktop or laptop PC can become faster and smoother. This SSD provides exceptional read, write, and multitasking speeds, allowing you to run applications, quickly download graphics, play memory-intensive computer games, and access all your files with less waiting. In addition, the 840 Series SSD enables your PC to boot up in as little as 10 seconds.
Engineered for Reliability to Keep Data Secure
To ensure exceptional quality and reliability, the 840 Series SSD was designed and built completely in-house using advanced memory technology and 100-percent genuine Samsung components.
Additionally, the 840 Series SSD has no moving parts, which means no hard drive spin ups, no noise, and superior data protection. The SSD also offers AES 256-bit full disk encryption for worry-free data security.
Thin, Lightweight Design and Low Battery Consumption
At only 7 millimeters thick and weighing just 2 ounces, the 840 Series SSD has a sleek, lightweight design that can make your laptop lighter to carry.
And because it contains no moving parts and features an ultra-efficient design, the 840 consumes little battery power, letting you enjoy up to 50 minutes more laptop battery life than a standard hard disk drive (HDD) or solid state drive (SSD)*. It also supports Device Sleep mode for Microsoft Windows 8 and Haswell chipsets, which helps reduce overall power consumption.
Data Migration Software Included for Easy Data Transfer
Samsung's Smart Data Migration software is included to make it safe and easy to migrate your data and operating system from your existing drive to the 840 Series SSD.
Product and Warranty Information
This SSD has a usable capacity of 500 GB, offers 512 MB of Samsung DDR2 SDRAM cache memory, and has a SATA 6b/s interface that is compatible with SATA 3 Gb/s and SATA 1.5 Gb/s. It measures 7.00 by 69.85 by 100.00 millimeters (H x W x D) and weighs just 62.5 grams.
The 840 Series SSD is backed by a three year warranty.
What's in the Box
840 Series SSD, Samsung Smart Data Migration Software, Samsung SSD Magician software, manual CD, and quick user manual.
Samsung 840 Series 500 GB SSD
At a Glance:
- Boot up your PC in as little as 10 seconds
- Allows you to breathe new life into an aging PC--enhancing boot speeds and application performance
- Energy-efficient design for up to 50 minutes longer battery life*
- AES 256-bit full disk encryption for ultimate data security
- Comes with Samsung Smart Data Migration software
- Three-year limited warranty
Samsung 840 Series Solid State Drives
|Capacity||120 GB||250 GB||500 GB|
|Drive and Installation Kit||MZ-7TD120KW||MZ-7TD250KW||MZ-7TD500KW|
|Type of Drive||Solid State Drive (SSD)|
|Form Factor||2.5-inch (Reduced 7mm thickness for use with ultraportables and netbooks)|
|For Use With||Desktop and laptop PCs (including ultraportables and netbooks)|
|Interface||SATA 6Gbits/s (backwards compatible with SATA 3Gbits/s and SATA 1.5Gbits/s)|
|Random Read Speeds***||86K IOPS||96K IOPS||98K IOPS|
|Sequential Read/Write Speeds||530 MB/s / 130 MB/s||540 MB/s / 250 MB/s||540 MB/s / 330 MB/s|
|Controller||3-Core Samsung MDX Controller|
|Type of NAND Flash||2xnm Samsung Toggle DDR 2.0 NAND Flash Memory (400Mbps)|
|Type of Cache||256MB Samsung LPDDR2 SDRAM||512MB Samsung LPDDR2 SDRAM|
|Dimensions||0.28 by 2.75 by 3.94 in. (H x W x D)|
*Up to 50 minutes longer battery life versus standard HDDs and some competitor SSDs
***4K Random Read (QD32)
Top Customer Reviews
Performance-wise, the Samsung 840 is actually worse than the previous generation Samsung 830. On the Passmark benchmarks, it is slightly lower than the OCZ Agility 4 which uses asynchronous MLC NAND flash.
Right now, the top three SSDs (best selling and best reviews) on Amazon are the OCZ Vertex 4, Samsung 830, and the Crucial M4. However, all three of these SSDs are cheaper and they perform better than the Samsung 840. Eventually, the TLC NAND should mean that the Samsung 840 will sell for less because less NAND is used. However, it is not worth it right now. To be safe, I would say that you should wait until the drive is at least 10-20% cheaper than the three drives above due to the uncertainty of how it will perform in the long run.
One puzzling thing is that I couldn't find any mean time before failure (MTBF) estimates for the 840, while the MTBF for the 20nm MLC based 840 Pro is 1.Read more ›
Amazon keeps removing my links in this review, sorry. Also, I notice I had my read and write speeds flopped, this has since been corrected on all my reviews posted for each SSD.
I am an avid MacBook Pro user and do a lot of hardware reviews for Apple products. I was able to get my hands on a dozen or so SSDs and test them out on a 2011 13" MacBook Pro and a 2012 13" MacBook Pro and have posted my results below on speeds, firmware and RMA.
All test were done with the SSD installed in the Main HDD Bay1, not the Optical Bay with SATA III on both the 2011 and 2012 MacBook Pro's. All 3rd party SSDs in Mac's require a Terminal CMD or TrimEnabler App to enable TRIM has OS X doesn't turn this on be fault.
*DRIVES LISTED IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER*
CORSAIR FORCE GT
SPEED TEST via BLACK MAGIC DISK SPEED BENCHMARK
*WRITE: 306.3 MB/s
*READ 486.1 MB/s
Cannot be updated in OSX natively, you must use a Windows PC or with Bootcamp using the Windows Update Tool found at [...]
Offers Advance RMA? Yes.
Great SSD with good speeds, not faster than the Samsung 830, 840, 840 Pro or OCZ Vertex 4 but faster than the Crucial M4. SandForce based SSD which I've seen performance issues on OS X. As you see from the Benchmarks, all the non SandForce Controlled SSDs tend to performance slower on Mac's, minus the Crucial M4. Reliability seems to be reported good with these drives and users seem to be happy overall.
SPEED TEST via BLACK MAGIC DISK SPEED BENCHMARK
*WRITE: 265.4 MB/s
*READ: 501.Read more ›
The instructions that come with it are less than helpful, so here's what I would recommend:
1) Forget about the instructions and the CD that come with it. Just go to the Samsung website ([...]) and download the Magician software and the Data Migration software.
2) Before you do anything, clean up your existing hard drive. Cleanup temporary files, clear browser caches, and get rid of old system restore points. (I would even recommend turning off system restore, but you may want to wait until after you have the SSD installed). Obviously, you'll need to get it below the capacity of the new SSD so everything will fit.
3) Reboot your PC and go into the system BIOS. Make sure your SATA interface is set to use AHCI instead of IDE mode. Reboot.
4) Defrag your hard drive. I recommend Defraggler ([...]).
5) Disable the Windows Disk Defrag automated task (you should not defrag SSDs-- it reduces their lifespan), and uninstall Defraggler if you installed it-- you won't need it anymore.
6) Install the Magician and Data Migration software from the Samsung site. The Magician won't be used until after you have the SSD installed, but you may as well install it now.
7) Shut down any other running programs (backups, Office Apps, browsers, etc.) You don't want your hard drive to be changing at all while you are copying the data to the SSD.
8) Connect the SSD to your computer via an external USB/SATA cable or available SATA connector.
9) Run the Data Migration Tool, to copy the contents of your existing HD (source) to the SSD (target).Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
used for about 3yrs, ran like a champ the entire time
I have owned, Crucial, Intel and Samsung SSDs over the years. Of all my drives, Samsung's have been by far the most reliable and best performance. Read morePublished 3 months ago by MikadoWu
Definitely a great investment for your computer, bought this back in 2013 and its still going strong.Published 3 months ago by Matthew Guglielmo
Only lasted 2.5 years in a lightly used laptop. Fortunately the warranty is three years so it died just in time.Published 3 months ago by SalsaFrenzy
I'll never hesitate to buy used computer hardware again. This drive made my computer boot so much quicker. I swear it makes my old PC seem so much faster.Published 4 months ago by David B.
bought in Jan 2013. I installed OS on it. the boot process is much faster. but in the last 6 month or so, I often get boot error, and getting worse each day. Read morePublished 4 months ago by Wenson Hu