Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

on June 17, 2011
Although I bought this for my wife as a birthday present during pre-release sales in NYC, I've since used it far more extensively than her so I've purchased a second Tab 10.1 from Amazon for myself. As a background, I also have a good amount of experience using a Motorola Xoom (none with the other Android tablets though) and an iPad 2. Anyway, here are my thoughts comparing the Tab 10.1 with the iPad 2. I won't do a comparison with the Motorola Xoom (which, as of writing this review, is the Tab 10.1's major Android competitor) as the two products are really similar. I'll leave the Xoom/Tab 10.1 decision to you. Here are my thoughts:

Operating System/Interface/Web Browsing - Slight edge to the Tab 10.1 running Android 3.1 (Honeycomb). This may just be more of a personal preference as I don't like products (like the iPad 2) which are locked down. I feel a company has no right to tell a consumer how he/she is allowed to use a product (as Apple does with theirs). Anyway, Android 3.1 OS is blazing fast and going along with the Android Open Source Project's philosophy, the OS and by rote, the Tab 10.1, is ultimately configurable. Out of the box, you can easily personalize an Android 3.1 tablet any way you want, and if you can't, there is free software out there to let you do it -- there is no hacking/jailbreaking required. The Tab 10.1's interface is also a lot cleaner than the iPad 2's which can get downright cluttered the more apps you have installed. I'll also note that there doesn't seem to be a discernible difference in the actual speed/performance (loading pages, etc) of the two products. So, we're pretty even so far, but Tab 10.1 clearly gets the edge for one thing -- Flash. Enough said.

Battery life - Strong edge to iPad 2. Both the Tab 10.1 and the iPad 2 are rated for 10 hours. Keeping the screen at about 75% max brightness, I seem to get between about 7 to 8 hours on the Tab 10.1 and 9 to 10 hours on an iPad 2. This may be a result of the screen brightness as I've noticed the Tab 10.1 has a slightly brighter screen at 100% than the iPad 2. Regardless, the iPad 2 has better battery life.

Resolution/Screen - Strong edge to the Tab 10.1's 1280×800 screen vs the iPad 2's 1024x768 one. If you think this is negligible, you are very wrong. This means the Galaxy Tab 10.1 screen has a 30% greater resolution than the iPad 2. You'll notice this difference in every thing you do -- not just when watching movies and photos. The increased resolution causes much less eye strain especially when reading webpages. Additionally, the Tab 10.1's widescreen aspect ratio seems to work a lot better for watching anything in HD. It's a shame the iPad 2 uses the dying 4:3 aspect ratio as there is a lot of wasted real estate on the screen in the form of black bars when watching anything in widescreen. With the Tab 10.1, the screen is entirely filled with video.

Cameras - Strong edge to the Tab 10.1. The Tab 10.1 blows the iPad 2 out of the water here and it's not even close. The Tab has a front-facing 2.0 megapixel (vs iPad 2's 0.3 megapixel) camera and rear-facing 3.0 megapixel (vs iPad 2's 0.7 megapixel) camera. Sure, you're never going to replace your P&S/SLR/video camera with a tablet, but it is nice to have a camera on there that can take a decent picture/video when you're in a pinch.

Portability - Even. The Tab 10.1 is a negligible 0.03 lbs lighter and 0.2mm thinner than the iPad 2.

Cachet - Strong edge to the iPad 2. Apple has a monopoly on this, it seems. Apple is just the trendier product. Odds are nobody will look at a Galaxy Tab 10.1 and think "Wow, that looks really nice. I need to get me one of those." I'm not saying the Tab 10.1 is ugly, but the brushed metal finish on the iPad does feel and look a bit nicer.

Price - Even. I'm really surprised Samsung didn't undercut the iPad 2 prices, even by $50.

Is this the iPad 2 killer as has been reported here and there in the media? Honestly, no, but that's more because most Apple consumers purchasing iPad 2s are brand loyal -- not necessarily looking to buy the best product. I really wish I could rate the Tab 10.1 with 4.5 stars. For reference, if I were to write a review of an iPad 2, I would give it a 4 stars. Giving the Tab 10.1 5 stars seems a bit too generous as I feel the lack of an SD slot and slight plasticky feel are noticeable drawbacks, as is the price (which isn't lower than an iPad 2 with the same amount of memory). And giving the Tab 10.1 4 stars seems a disservice as I feel that it is ultimately an outstanding tablet and, in my opinion, definitely has an edge over the iPad 2.
5150+ comments| 4,068 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 24, 2011
Have had my GT10.1 for a couple of days, and so far it has met or exceeded my expectations in just about every area. I think I have finally found my laptop replacement.

Look and Feel: Very solid, no creaks or flex. Grey plastic back really does look like brushed metal, feels good and does not feel cheap at all. Dang, it's REALLY thin and light.

Performance: Fast. I have run pretty much all my apps on it and have run videos from YouTube without a hiccup. Very responsive, very smooth. The touch screen in not as sensitive as the one on my HTC Incredible 2 Droid phone , but it is still very sensitive (the one on my phone is almost too sensitive, if that's possible).

Apps: Here's the cool part. Because my phone was already an Android device and I had a Google account, when I set up the GT10.1 it immediately and automatically synced, downloaded and installed almost all of the apps that are on my phone. There were just a couple that did not download, probably because they are not compatible with Honeycomb (phone runs Froyo). THAT was slick and saved me a lot of time and energy hunting for apps. The ones that did not download, like the anti-virus and stock market apps, I easily found substitutes for in the Android Market. Most games downloaded and seem to work without a hitch.

Availability of Apps: I have found PLENTY of apps in the Market that work on the GT10.1 - free, too. I even have one (androidVNC) that syncs to my desktop computer, so I can control it remotely. I had a similar program on my laptop and found it to be a lifesaver at times, when on the road. Can edit MS Office docs - Word, Excel, PowerPoint - although all the features of the main programs are not there. Also am using Google Docs, which has its own pluses and minuses. Am debating whether or not to buy DocumentsToGo Full Version to gain more editability. So far, I can get by with just viewing and tweaking. In general I prefer not to do heavy document creation and editing on the road, even with a laptop, so we shall see. K-9 is an excellent email client and provides more functionality than the basic one that comes with the device.

Memory: I bought the 32gig version, just to have plenty of memory down the road. So far, I have only used a small fraction of it. Honeycomb has a nice, small footprint, unlike some other OSs. The entire inventory of office files I could ever need on the road will fit on a 32gig flash drive with over 10 gig to spare, so I am not worried about running out of memory. Connectivity, you ask? See below.

Connectivity: Much lamenting has been done about the lack of ports for the GT10.1. Well, so far, I have not missed them. It's very easy to move data via WiFi. BUT, I know I will need access for things, like the above-mentioned flash drive. And, while most anywhere I go to give presentations these days they ask for the file on a flash drive to put on their own computer/projector, it would be nice to be able to run a video cable out, if needed. At first I thought this would be a deal breaker for me. But, then I read that Samsung is coming out with adapters for their proprietary port. So, I WILL be able to connect a flash drive or video out, when needed. Would it be nice to have these ports on board? Sure. But, frankly, the device is pretty much self-contained and very accessible via WiFi/cloud, so, assuming the adapters come out, I think the lack of ports is a non-issue. And, I am used to buying accessories for my devices as needed. I also use my phone as a WiFi hotspot, to which the GT10.1 connects flawlessly, and the combination of Android phone and Android tablet is pretty killer.

Keyboard: On board virtual keyboard is fine, quite large, in fact, if you are used to using one on a phone, as I am. I also downloaded Swype, which works fine on Honeycomb. Finally, just for those times, when I might need to do some more significant typing, I bought a Menotek flexible Bluetooth keyboard (kind of like the one in 'Live Free or Die Hard' but wireless). It synced immediately, and it works great. And, the keyboard is almost ridiculously portable (it rolls up/folds up). So, I just leave it in my briefcase and have it, when I need it. Have a leather case on order that will allow the tablet to be propped up like a monitor, so the combination of portable keyboard and angled tablet should be a nice substitute for a laptop.

Battery life: Have unplugged the tablet at 0600, used it off and on all day, and it still had just under 20% juice, when I plugged it back in at 0100 - 19 hours later. That was not continuous use, but more real world use - emails (a lot), read docs, downloads, a few YouTube videos, a few games. Not bad. It only reported about 80% charged this morning after 5 hours plugged into an outlet, but from experience with other devices, I expect both the battery life and the charging time to improve over the next week or so, as it cycles several times. As you can imagine, using video-intensive programs, like some games or lots of videos, drains the battery fastest. Even so, I'd say the battery life is pretty good and more than sufficient for a day's work (and probably play).

So, in conclusion, I think I might have found my laptop replacement, a first for me. I thought I was going to get a Xoom, then an ASUS Transformer, and then this one came along. It is really a very powerful device, given its REALLY small footprint. Is it an IPad killer? Who cares? I have handled IPads owned by business associates. Nice device, but all they ever seem to use it for is to show photos and play songs, maybe blog. Large cool factor. I don't see it as a business tool. I DO see the Galaxy Tab 10.1 as a true business tool. The same goes for my Android phone. So, depending on your needs, one or the other probably will be better for you. As for me, I am really sold on the Android OS; it is fast, powerful and small. There are some differences between my phone and tablet versions, but they are minor. If the new version that is due out at the end of this year really merged them, but was not downloadable to my current devices, I would keep both of them, since the differences are so small. That should tell you something.

Hope someone, who is considering the Galaxy Tab 10.1 as a business tool, finds the above useful. My recommendation is to go for it; I do not think you will be disappointed. It is not perfect, but I think it executes beautifully on all of its advertised features and capabilities, and for that reason I give it 5 stars.

Bill
3535 comments| 970 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 20, 2011
I also own a Asus Transformer (luckily got it first night it was available on Amazon), and an iPad 1. I've handled the iPad 2 extensively as well (work issues iPad 2's, I develop UI's for iOS).

I'm not going to go too far into Honeycomb 3.1, as that experience merits it's own review, and has already been covered extensively.

So I'll just jump straight into what makes the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 good/bad. In a word, s-e-x-y!

The perception of Android Honeycomb hasn't been helped by the plethora of cheap no-name manufacturers tarnishing the Android brand with 150 dollar resistive touch screen devices loaded with Android 2.0. Even the bigger names, like Acer, Motorola, even Samsungs own Tab 7", have been left in the dust with "other" company's superior materials, manufacturing and design. For the first time, I can confidently say that an Android tablet has not only matched the iPad 2, but potentially surpassed it (that's debatable).

First off, the good:

1. LIGHT. 10" tablets, particularly at the 16:9 aspect ratio have always been unwieldy, especially in portrait. the 4:3 ratio of the iPad's 1024x768 has always translated to a more comfortable portrait experience. Well, the Tab 10.1 is so svelte and light, that even at 16:9 portrait, the top doesn't outweigh the ability for one hand to hold it from the bottom.

2. Skinny. First time I held an iPad 2, it was about the only thing that really impressed me. It's skinny. Well, the Tab 10 matches it (technically it's like 1-2mm skinnier I think). It feels GREAT in the hand. It almost feels more like a heavy e-reader. Something this light should not be able to do what it can do. Amazing.

3. Grippy back. Love love love the back material. I don't think it's the same as the Special Edition Google i/o, as that one looks glossy. This back is a matte black, and very pleasant to hold w/ 1 hand.

4. Camera's are noticably better then the Asus Transformer, although still not stellar. Whether or not this is an issue depends on how much you rely on your camera on a tablet. Video calls through Google chat were acceptable, but definitely not Skype quality. Waiting patiently for Skype video on Android.

5. Screen is gorgeous. I believe it's PLS technology, which is technically superior to the much vaunted IPS on the iPads. Personally, they look about the same to me. The Samsung might have a slight edge in color saturation, but generally speaking, they're on par w/ each other.

6. Stereo speakers work surprisingly well. Better quality then that on the Asus transformer, with less distortion at high volumes.

The Bad:

1. As stated, camera quality is sub-par in general, but in context of tablet cameras, it's probably one of the better ones (this isn't saying much).

2. No SD CARD slot, this sucks. Hard. But I knew it when I bought it.

3. Proprietary connector hole thingy. C'mon, really... how Apple of you.

Another note. I read some disparaging comments about the plastic back construction vs aluminum or some other metal. I don't know if people are making that comment about the Google i/O version or what, but I absolutely love the plastic back. It's grippy, looks like the business, and overall, it just looks sexy. There's no noticable flex, and at first glance, you might even mistake it for a piece of brushed metal.

It comes with a set of black earbuds/mic, kinda nice for VOIP calls, and a wall charger.

Again, I'm not going into Honeycomb too much. 3.1 is great. If you want to read my thoughts on Honeycomb, look for my Asus Transformer review, should be in the top 3. As for the Transformer, granted this thing is 100 bucks more, but you can absolutely see the 100 dollars and where it went. The build quality and design is leaps and bounds beyond the Transformer, but of course, the Asus.. well.. Transforms.. which is awesome in it's own right.

I've had it for a day, and it's already replaced my Transformer and iPad. Not just as a new toy, but with it's skinny and light form factor, it feels almost invisible, like it doesn't get in the way when I'm not using it. Definitely my new primary tablet.
22 comments| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 17, 2011
Who is this Review for?
Anyone considering the Galaxy 10.1" Tablet or not sure whether to go with iPad or this (or any other Android tablet).If you're very confused by all the entries to the Android Tablet category lately, I'm going to try and help. First things first, if you're definitely going with an Android tablet, FORGET ALL THE OTHERS, this is the ONE (see why below). That is, unless price is a big concern for you, in which case you probably really should not buy a Tablet to begin with, but if you still want one, go with the Asus Transformer. OK, on to the review of the Galaxy 10.1:

The Good
In time this will be better than iPad2. It's a beautiful device. Don't listen to those saying there is some discernible difference in the hardware quality or the "wow" factor between this and ipad2. There really is not. Except for one thing-- you really can feel the small weight difference. Galaxy 10.1 is slightly lighter than iPad 2, and if you pick up one right after the other, you will notice the difference. Don't get me wrong, both are absurdly light, but I love how light and portable the Galaxy is. Don't even THINK of getting another Android Tablet on the market as of this writing. This is light years ahead of them all even though there is no SD slot. It's much lighter than the Xoom (and all the others out now), almost to the point that I would put it in a different class of product. It's kind of like carrying around clipboard (of very sturdy quality). No strain. Whereas carrying around the other Android Tabs is kind of like carrying around a light textbook. If the difference doesn't matter to you...then don't pay the price difference for this Tab. Just get an Asus Transformer. The ability to have customizable widgets and apps (like weather on your home screen), to me, makes this device, and Android in general, more powerful than iPad. And, if you already have an Android phone, you really should stick with the Android Tabs, which will allow a much better integration for you. For one thing, you can tether some Android phones VERY easily to the tablet. If you have an iPhone, I'd stick to ipad and their cloud, which will really protect everything on all your devices. Hopefully this advice will help you folks who have one phone or the other and are on the fence over whether to buy iPad or this Tablet (or any other Android Tablet). The screen on this Tablet is just gorgeous. Response, over all is good but not as fluid as Ipad. For most functions (except for one VERY important one, described below) you will not notice a difference. I promise you. I saw a review on here which is, ahem, ranked higher than mine --ugh-- saying that ithe Phone's "cachet" is something to be considered. Utter nonsense. You will look great with this tablet and you'll enjoy using it and people will say WOW when they see it. This device has better specs than the iPad, is just as sleek, just as functional, has flash (something that I believe is somewhat overrated though as websites move away from flash), and will eventually --EVENTUALLY-- have a better app experience than iPad. Eventually. :-) Which leads me to "The Bad":

The Bad
I saw a previous review saying that the keyboard responded slowly. After using it I can confirm that there really IS a delay between typing and text appearing on screen using SOME features like the browser. WHY? Is it honeycomb? Something that will be resolved with an update? Or is the hardware faulty and just that slow? I really hope it's the former, but I have no idea and I'm not going to buy one until I find out.

UPDATE (6/28/11): Awesome job by Commentor Scott Welch who seems to have found a fix for this. Scott explains,"I experienced the keyboard delay. It appears to be a problem with the Samsung Keyboard. I switched to the Android keyboard and it works GREAT!!! Setting> Language & Input> Current input Method." THANK YOU Scott.

Another disappointing thing is that there isn't Swype on the tablet (note: I haven't seen Swype on ANY Android Tablet yet, though, and it's disappointing).

UPDATE(6/28/11): Swype IS now available for the Honeycomb Tablets! Thanks to Commentors C.V. Tang and Brian Mason. C.V. Tang explains that "The Swype Beta are out for Honeycomb [see his comment below for the link, Amazon won't allow links in reviews]. Brian Mason added that "Swype 3.0 beta is now available for Honeycomb. Very cool how you can set it to small keyboard mode for single finger swyping on either side."

Great job, C.V. and Brian! Based on their comments, bump this review from 4 to 4.5 Stars. I've always felt that Swype is one thing that really separates Android from iPhone/iPad and shows the difference between the two systems in terms of power and customization, as Android market has so many variations of Swype that are just wonderful. Having Swype on a screen of this size is just amazing and really speeds up use and usability of the device immeasurably. It's really difficult to justify sticking with iPad's tap-tap-tap which is SO 2009.

The Apps
Apps are what Tabs are all about, so it really should be it's own discussion in any helpful review. Yes, iPad still kicks Android's Butt in apps. Yes, this will change. Yes, I know you keep hearing this. No, I don't work for Android or any company related to any of these devices and am just as annoyed as you that Android is still not up to par! But it really is inevitable with the dramatic increase in Android use that the Tablet App market will explode in the same way the Android phone app market has exploded. My Droid X phone has become more and more enjoyable to use as the market continues to grow and provide me with apps I used to have on my iPhone. When i first bought my Droid, I didn't have Sonos or my Bank's app and many other apps that were an Iphone. Now, I can't even think of an App that I had on my iPhone that I don't have on my Droid. And, best of all, I have cool widgets on my phone home screen that I could never have on my Iphone. This will happen with the Android Tab, too. And when it does and the growing number of customizable apps arrive on the Android Tabs, I do believe these Tablets will destroy the iPad. But not yet...

What should you buy?
Fortunately, I really think the answer to this question is very simple. If you already have an Iphone or Android phone, don't even think about getting the other company's Tablet. It's a huge waste. There are big advantages with sticking with the same company (tethering for Android, the cloud for Apple, and, most significantly, the APPS FOR BOTH. Why pay twice for the same apps and why go through all the hassle?). The differences between the Apple and Android Tablets are not so monumental as to justify losing all these efficiencies of sticking with your phone's company. I would compare it to using three different companies for home Cable, home internet and home phone line.

UPDATE (6/28/11): Thanks very much to Commentor K. Smits who further explained what I meant here: "I think [the review] is referring to the upcoming iCloud service baked into iOS 5 from Apple. Basically it will over-the-air sync your photos, music, etc. among your iOS 5 devices. Look up "iCloud" in google to see more details. Also, if you purchased apps for your iPhone you will be able to use them on your iPad as well without having to purchase an Android version. Of course this goes both ways. If you have an Android phone and have purchased an App, you would be able to use it on a Android based tablet as well." Yep, exactly! Smits also added some helpful information, saying "there are other solutions for keeping everything synced (Dropbox, Picasa for pics, Google Music Beta for music) If Flash is an important thing, I would rule out iPad. While I do think Flash is an archaic and not very well designed rich media solution for webpages, it is not going anywhere for a while, so I would make this a big consideration for a device that should give you a "PC like" browsing experience."

If you have an Android Phone and are debating which Android Tablet to buy, STOP THINKING ABOUT IT NOW, and get the Galaxy which is far and away a monumentally superior product than all previous Android tablets. If price is not an issue for you (and this device isn't really any more expensive than similar Tabs except the much heavier Transformer), you will regret passing up on the sleekness, hardware superiority and overall better experience and portability of the Galaxy. If you can't afford the Galaxy and don't mind a heavier Tab, go with the Transformer. If you have an iPhone, I wouldn't consider this, and definitely not other Android Tablets. Stick with the iPad.

Questions, Commentors
Feel free to post messages on here and I'll try to respond best I can. I'm not an expert, just some guy who played extensively with bunch of these things!

UPDATE (6/28/11): Thanks so much to all the wonderful and helpful Commentors. You guys really make this review so much more helpful for people and it's great to have so many different perspectives. Keep sending helpful comments and I'll weave them in here as I continue to update my review. You guys have helped confirm that Swype is AVAILABLE, that there IS a fix to the keyboard issue, and have helped explain some common questions from users. I'll continue to update my review as information comes in. Right now, I have upped it to 4.5 Stars.
5150+ comments| 1,319 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 29, 2012
I waffled for a long time between this and the iPad. The Tab beats iPad hands down in almost all hardware categories (3x better camera, twice the memory, larger screen, etc). I'm not going to quote specs on each because there are a lot of good comparisons but this one is pretty good [...]. Honestly, I don't think a lot of these really matter. Apple's 1/2 Gb of memory is usually plenty, and you don't use the camera on a tablet near as much as you use the one on a phone.

My initial biggest hangup was software. One one hand, you have Apple with thousands of apps, and Android with much less. HOWEVER, check the Android Market place for apps you use. I found that almost ALL of my regular apps (Quickoffice, Dropbox, Weather Channel, CNN, AutoCAD WS, etc) already had Android versions. Furthermore, where there was not a direct version, I easily found an Android equivalent. I'm not much of a gamer but it seems that the more popular ones are equally available in iOS and Android. The bottom line is CHECK THE ANDROID MARKETPLACE before you buy. Apple may have more apps by volume but how many free guitar tuners or flashlight apps do you really need? While there may be a slight lag between iOS and android versions, I just suggest you check for the ones that are most important to you before you buy a device. You will probably be surprised.

I did have one minor issue in which I need to contact Samsung Tech Support via an online chat, and it went well. Fairly short wait and they found a solution. However, I recognize that it is hard to compete with Apple's customer service if something really goes wrong (when you are the wealthiest corporation in the world, I guess you can afford to give away a few more replacements). What you need to decide is just how likely is it that you are going to need Tech Support with either product.

It comes down to this: In spite of Samsung's hardware edge, both units perform well overall; In spite of Apple's claim that they have more apps, Android seems to have all the popular ones along with plenty of alternatives; I've had good experience with customer service from both companies; With the exception of the logo on the back, both units look almost identical (Samsung is actually a little thinner). Therefore, it's a toss-up. If you truly look at hardware, go with the Samsung. I'm not a gamer but I use AutoCAD regularly, and the Tab handles it extremely well. If you simply MUST have a piece of fruit on your unit, and want relative assurance that apps will hit your OS first, then go with the iPad.

I'm glad I got the Samsung but I don't think you can go wrong either way.
on June 22, 2011
The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is a fantastic device. I had much difficulty choosing between this device and the ASUS transformer. I was sold on this device when I was able to hold it while at a brick and mortar electronics store. It is lighter and thinner than any other device on the market. I was able to take it and compare it directly to even an iPad 2. It was even lighter than than the iPad 2. The Galaxy Tab makes the Acer Iconia Tab seem huge and heavy. IT even makes the Xoom seem a bit brickish. Aesthetically, this is the best looking Android device on the market. It rivals even the sleekness of the iPad 2 (which is the benchmark, I think).

Hardware...The device specs are similar to the other 10.1 tablets. Tegra 2. 10.1 inch screen. The screen on this device is supposed to be a bit brighter than even the IPS screens of the iPad 2 and the Transformer. It does look brighter and sharper as far as I can tell. It only has the one 30 pin port and has no micro sd slot. This is the devices's biggest drawback. Samsung remedies some of these issues with several accessories that are coming. They include HDMI and RCA adapters for connecting to an external monitor or TV. A USB adapter, and an SD card adapter. When I saw that these things had already been considered, I was sold. I personally don't see the need right now, for an HDMI out, but the fact that there will be one coming, is a nice thing to have. And remember all of those extra ports, which would be nice, reduce the form factor...and believe me the form factor/aesthetics is what makes this device a cut above the others.

Android/Software--Honeycomb 3.1 is a great OS for tablets. This is where Android beats IOS. The ability to customize home screens, add widgets etc, helps to make one's android tablet "his or her own." The native apps such as gmail, gtalk, calendar are all redesigned and optimized for the tablet and work great. The tegra 2 processor runs all of it smoothly. Scrolling between home screens is very smooth. The best part of the OS is the true multi-tasking environment. Switching between apps is easy. There are some occasional glitches, but firmware updates will help this. Honeycomb is still new and will only get better. 3rd party android apps are the other big drawback. There simply are not that many out yet that are optimized for Honeycomb, but I have found that most, if not all of apps that run my galaxy s 4g smartphone run on the tab.

One other thing to consider. I had trouble connecting the Galaxy Tab to my Windows 7 computer. Tech support for this device is in South Carolina...at least during the day. I was able to get right to someone who helped me resolve the issue. FYI, the issue was not with the tab but rather the USB port on the front of my PC. IT took some time to troubleshoot and resolve, but the quality of service and the ability to speak with someone without the language barriers was extremely helpful and convenient.

UPDATE 7/6/2011

I just returned from a 10 day road trip, having taken the tablet with me. There are a few things I would like to add.

1) Even though the specs do not say this, the tablet supports MP4 videos. I converted several of my own DVD's and put them on the galaxy. I also downloaded MOBO player from the Market. It is a great device for watching movies.

2) After two weeks with the device, I can honestly say I love Honeycomb 3.1, but it is not perfect. I still love the fact that I can customize the home screens. I did notice that after being on a couple days that the OS does get a bit sluggish, so I restart my device every day or two. It starts up and is ready to use so fast that this is almost a non issue.

3) My biggest complaints are entering text in the stock browser and flash in the stock browser. There is significant delay that can be annoying. It does not render the device unusable, but it is a slight annoyance. Flash is not flawless on this device. Flash video playback is hit and miss, sometimes choppy, sometimes laggy. I don't visit a whole lot of flash sites, and it is nice to have it, but this needs work. (IOS still does not support flash at all).

The device retains its 5 stars, because I feel the overall experience is excellent. In the market when I got the device there were 96 featured tablet apps. In two weeks this has grown to 108. This is only going to get better. When the market matures, look out iPad.

I will post another update when TouchWiz is pushed to the device. i own an Galaxy S 4G, and i really do like the touchwiz interface on it, so I will let yall know.
0Comment| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 4, 2013
Absolutely perfect Samsung tablet, not a single scratch or mark on the big screen, just like brand new mint out of the box when first purchased. Works perfectly, lightning quick in everything it does, and an absolutely amazing 1080 p high definition, big immaculate screen. The pictue is just like an expensive top of the line big screen Samsung TV, stunning vibrant colors, and loud good quailty speakers. The samsung tablet has a better picture and screen then even some high end laptops & TVs. So if you're looking to get a tablet, all these and the newer Samsung tablets are better than any iPad. Because Samsung tablets have a higher screen resolution so better picture, faster all around since higher cpu then ipads. Also Samsung has the bigger screen at 10.1 inches, the biggest ipad is only 9.7. Also Samsung has better picture and video quality from the Samsung cameras on both the front and the back of the tablet. Samsung tablet memory can also be increased with memory cards, ipads can't, and you can get adapters to transfer stuff to the Samsung tablet with the adapter and SD cards or USB devices. The Samsung tablets are also lighter. So in conclusion the Samsung Galaxy Tablet I purchased is amazing in every way, and better then any other tablet out there, I highly recommend getting one since its like a high quailty TV and laptop rolled into one, and very easy and quick to use and more convenient.
on July 7, 2011
Full disclosure: I've had my tab for just two days now. After reading reviews in every corner of the internets, I had it narrowed down to the tab 10.1, the Toshiba Thrive, and the ipad 2. I have been an Android phone user for a year now (EVO), but both my computers are bleeding edge Macs.

My top reasons for getting a tablet were 1) going mostly electronic for research, so...pdf effective markup is key and 2) not wanting to lug my Macbook Pro with me evey time I leave the house and want a computer along for the ride. I wanted to be able to read for work and fun, play games, watch movies and TV, and check email and occaisionally do some writing. I visited and played with all three of my top tablet finalists at my local Best Buy, read tons of formal and informal reviews, and talked to my friends who have ipads (none have android tabs).

First impressions (Will update when I have had it longer)

The Good: Overall, this thing is so much better than I expected it would be, even after pretty much knowing exactly what I was getting myself into. The screen is awesome, very bright and pretty to look at. The sound is really good, both through two speakers on sides and included headphones. Playing the simple games I like to play is terrific, much better than on the EVO. The EZpdf reader app I purchashed for marking up pdfs for research is AMAZINGLY AWESOME. Being able to sync with App Brain and pull all my apps to the tab was super easy and convenient. And it comes with Quick Office pre-installed, so you save a few more bucks over ipad the since you don't have to buy Pages to edit docs. I also pulled my music from Amazon Cloud, so that was a breeze.

The Not as Good: Typing on the screen definitely is not quite as rsponsive as it seemed to me in the store. I make more errors than I expected due to te letters not registerin, as you cansee fom the errors I chose not corect in this sentence. I have ordered the keyboard doc to use for longer note taking in future, and I am sure that my on screen typing wil improve as I learn how to work with/adapt to the keyboard a bit better. The built in sensor for screen brightness is also a weakness for me at this point since it doesn't seem to always get it right (screen dims at times when it would be easier to see it better lit).

All in all, as a person with a familiarity and appreciation for Android OS, I am thrilled with my choice to get the 10.1. It is super sleek and light (unlike Thrive, which I ultimately decided was not going to be comfortable to hold for long periods of time, and what's the point of a tablet if you can't do that comfortably). It is beautiful inside and out. It is cheaper to fill with apps you know and love and have already paid for if you have an Android phone. Oh, and if you install a remote desktop app, you can get Netflix on it now, though it seems like an official app is in the works.
on October 26, 2011
Out of the box this tablet is awesome!

Pro's:
* Can play a most video files without any additional apps
* Perfect size
* Fast connection to wifi and bluetooth
* Amazing screen, bright and deep colors including a true black
* Not full of per-installed junk apps
* I adjusted the screen brightness to about 40% and it's still stunning, battery lasts a full day of use with this setting.
* There are lots of apps that work on it, very few of the ones I use for my phone are unavailable for my tablet.
* The sound is AWESOME for such tiny speakers!! Tested a 5.1 video and it really does sound like surround sound when you are holding the pad in front of you! It doesn't get all that loud but the quality is great and plenty loud for personal use!
* Gorilla glass.. I have another device with gorilla glass and I can attest to it's extreme durability. No need for screen protectors.

Con's:
* VERY slow to charge... After 5 hours I only had a 76% charge :s Hopefully a future update will change that
* No SD slot or USB ports
* Charger input is placed on the side/bottom of the pad in a way that you wouldn't be able to charge it while in a folding case or using any stand or case to prop the pad up for viewing in landscape, would only be able to use a desktop doc to charge while in landscape.
* It is sometimes difficult to wake up, especially if the screen is off while something like music or audible is running.
* Gorilla glass doesn't hide fingerprints even if it does keep it from breaking easily, and the screen is so brilliant that putting a matte screen protector on to hide fingerprints would be a crime.. (it's a pro and a con)

Over all I love it and am very happy with my choice despite the many tabs out there. I've tried a few that are cheaper, or possess similar specs and side by side using them you can really tell the difference.
VINE VOICEon March 26, 2012
Samsung has hit a 'HOMERUN' with this product. Totally amazed by capabilities and beauty of this device. The whole family is in love with this product and we now are seen fighting over it. BTW, I also have the Kindle Fire but after purchasing the 'Samsung Tablet' the focus shifted to Samsung almost instantly here is why:

PROS:
[+] Beautiful and extremely thin lightweight device.
[+] Good Quality hardware and excellent battery life.
[+] Gorgeous 10.1 bright screen with multi-touch screen display.
[+] A lot more flexibility where to get your apps from and very little 'bloat-ware' installed.

This tablet not only boasts 'Android market'(Or Google play) it can also integrate very well into 'Amazon app' store. - Oh! - Did I mention it can also be used as 'Kindle' book reading device? (There is a super kindle app for that as well - Thanks Amazon!)

Reading books on this is a pleasure (Only if you are indoors) For reading outdoors and in bright sunlight nothing can beat Amazon's Kindle Keyboard 3G, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

It integrates with 'Google Play' books as well and the app is very nice too with nice animation to turn pages etc. BTW, It also doubles as an excellent gaming device. All if not every game I have tried from Android Market or Amazon App store market plays beautifully. If you install Amazon app store APP you can get Free Games and Apps for the day everyday just like Kindle Fire device. You can also side-load tons of apps

Boasts 720P video recording and both front facing and rear facing cameras are adequate enough for causal photography or just for fun videos. It also includes a Video Editing tool. But the video and photo capabilities are no match to a Canon EOS 60D 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD

For serious photography you must own a high end DSLR like the Canon.

CONS:
[-] Dual core processors but there is limitations on certain Video file playback! (Intentional I am sure)
[-] No MicroSD card slot or USB slot and needs a special bulky OEM USB OTG Connection Kit & Card Reader for SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB 10.1 P7500 P7510 BLACK

If you intend to use this product for serious work it will not disappoint you. Or if you are just a casual user you will find this device wholly entertaining and the multi-touch experience is really cool!

It is well worth it and outstanding device.

Thanks for reading my reviews. Please feel free to comment if you have any questions.

Happy Shopping!

----------------------------
UPDATE/EDIT (March 27, 2012)
----------------------------
Registered the device (Running HC 3.1 factory build) with Samsung just fine (You will have to provide your Google Email address) and it offered me to update up-to Honeycomb 3.2 pushing over OTA (over the air) update (release HTJ85B.UEKMP P7510UEKMP)

Please bear it in mind that The first update takes about 30 nail biting mins please have patience while it updates sloooooowly. After the first update and reboot it immediately follows and It also added a second firmware update where it does some minor fixes to add few updated application and changes Android Market to reflect Google Play store.

Hope this helps others.

No issues were seen. Just have fully charged battery and you will be fine.