Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 780 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 968 reviews
on April 21, 2016
I see that a lot of the negative reviews are from people that use this as a phone. I bought this to function as an iPod and for a few other non-phone functions however. I installed a 16GB Samsung EVO SD card and it works just fine; the phone only comes with 2.75GB of free space. It's running Android 4.0.4 so theres plenty of apps for it however there are a few that don't work unfortunately like Pocket Casts which really sucks but most others work. I installed Pulsar music player and it works fine. There is bluetooth functionality so I could use this in my car if I wanted to.

The phone performs decently. If you turn off all animations in the settings and don't install too many widgets you should be fine. I leave airplane mode on all the time and uninstalled all unnecessary apps, turned off auto-sync etc. so battery life is phenomenal! I can see it lasting for days with my use. I also installed Nova Launcher to customize it further. The camera isn't the best but what can you expect for $13. I attached a couple of photos I took just in case you're interested. It can make a good car dash cam or IP security cam however. Screen resolution is better than I expected but you can still see pixels; screen brightness is good too. The touchscreen is also better than I expected; I'm pretty sure its glass, not one of those terrible plastic ones where you have to press hard to make it work.

To all the negative reviewers, LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS! This is a $13 smartphone for crying out loud! However if you want to use this phone as an iPod or to just mess around with its great!
review image review image
on January 12, 2014
After buying this phone and using/testing for a week, I bought a second one for my wife. Everything you see here applies to both phones. I also bought a 32G micro SD card for each phone.

1) Bluetooth features work well with Honda HandsFreeLink. (2012 Odyssey EX)

2) Voice recognition works very well, although severe limitations due to the language, not the device. For example, the phone doesn't always discern the difference between "to", "too", and "2". Neither do I.

3) Screen keyboard works well, although I'm thinking of getting a stylus.

4) Camera is good enough for casual snapshots, especially if you have an emergency need, such as a fender bender.

5) MapFactor "Navigator" installs on the optional SD Card and gives you extensive offline mapping and GPS capability, while not impacting the amount of internal storage. By "offline", I mean that if you are in the middle of nowhere with no phone service and no wifi, the GPS and mapping work.

This phone is my fourth TracFone, all with the same number. The following technique successfully transferred my number and minutes.

1) If you don't already have an online account with TracFone, create one and register your current phone.
2) Add your new phone to your account and check the "I don't have a phone number and will get one later" box when you add it.
3) Click on "activate" for your new phone and you should get an option that says "transfer your existing phone number and minutes".
4) Follow the instructions carefully.

Bear in mind that what worked for my phone may not work for yours, so if you have any doubts, call TracFone.

The biggest con so far is that downloading specific maps is extremely slow.

MapFactor Navigator tips:

1) Install your micro SD card before installing. You will then get a prompt to choose where to install it. I tried installing it first and then moving it after installing the SD card. I ended up uninstalling, deleting the navigator folder and reinstalling from scratch.

2) Go to MapFactor's website and install the free version onto your desktop/laptop computer. You can then more easily download all of the maps that you want, even if it means leaving your computer on overnight. I'm not saying that this will always work, but so far, it has for me. Once you have the maps downloaded to your desktop/laptop, you just copy the files over. Make sure that Navigator is not running on your phone. After you copy the maps over, the next time you start Navigator, it will see the additional maps and use them.
on December 20, 2013
This is my first smart phone because I've been a Tracfone user for about 10 years and this is the first smart phone Tracfone has offered. The price is right and it comes with Android 4.0. I was surprised to learn that the sensors do not include a compass, making it less useful for GPS map navigation. Without compass it also doesn't work with the sun mapper app that I use on my Nexus 7 for planning outdoor photo shoot. However there's a lot that it does do, Apps are free or cheap from the Google Play store or from Amazon. I love having in my pocket wherever I go. I use WiFi when possible to conserve on cell data usage. I'm a light cell phone user and always buy the 1 year activation, which comes with 400 minutes, which this phone triples to 1200 phone minutes plus 1200 texts plus 1200 MB of data. I don't text, and 1200 minutes is more than enough for me for a year. If I use up the data allowance I can buy a data refill card (which does NOT triple). I found I can buy refill cards cheaper on Amazon or ebay than direct from Tracfone.

Update 12/25/13: I'm knocking it down one star for poor battery life. It seems to last less than 24 hours on standby, so it has to be on the charger every night, and you better have a car charger with you if you rely on the phone for emergency contact. Also the lack of a front camera (facing the user) means it's not good for video Skype calls, and you can't do selfies without a mirror. It still does a lot, but less than I expected. I have a Nexus 7 (original) without cell data service, and it fills some of the voids this phone has.
on January 13, 2014
ORIGINAL REVIEW (now with "excellent" replaced with "???"): OK, there are bigger/smaller faster/cooler phones out there, but for the money, this is an ??? phone, or rather an ??? gizmo/gadget. With all the Android apps out there, there are so many things this G/G can become ... GPS, note taker, voice recorder, calendar with time/location notifications, camera, video recorder, shopping organizer, bowser, newspaper, music player, flashlight, yada yada yada. I've tried many different apps from Google Play and they've all worked just fine. Wireless connections work fine. TracFone is a great value for service particularly if you're a lighter user and not in need of unlimited minutes/message/gigabytes. Pay for what you need when you need it, don't pay for "time" you don't use. We have two Galaxy Centura phones in our family, both work great. ??? value.

UPDATE a couple months later: I removed the word "excellent" from my review. It is not, I am sorry to report. It is "OK" and even then, a critical issue: it crashes, often daily. Very sad. I am "guessing" (somewhat educated actually) that it is the operating system, Android. Could it have a "virus"? Dunno. But it will just simply stop working, freeze for no apparent reason. When it does and it's in my pocket, there is a short vibrate, then another ... not a regular notification vibrate ... I can no instantly tell that the phone crashed. Sure enough, I hit the power button to turn off the screen saver, and the "phone" is locked (not a phone anymore!) usually with some of the icons showing but not all. Nothing is response to a screen thouch. It will not come back any way any how unless I hold down the on/off button for a long time ... then it powers down. NOT GOOD. So disappointed!!! So ... cavaet emptor.
on December 8, 2015
This was tracfone's first smartphone when I bought it in 2013. I was glad that tracfone started offering smartphones but I was very disappointed with the poor performance of the Centura. I think it is a mistake for Samsung and TracFone to have ever offered a phone this bad. The underpowered processor causes it to freeze up and crash often and it is excruciatingly slow at best. It is almost completely incapable of performing things that even an average smartphone should be able to do, like use apps and the internet. The screen is really too small to be of much use for anything and it doesn't even have a conventional home key like most phones. The Centura lacks many of the features that have become standard on even average smartphones. It frequently resets to an incorrect time of day and this is a ridiculously unacceptable glitch and some functions and apps are affected by this. All of the problems with this phone are too much to put up with. They are now trying to get rid of the Centura and are selling it for a fraction of the price that I paid but there are now many phones available for use with TracFone that are way better than this. Even if it seems cheap, I wouldn't recommend this phone to anyone for anything. I still use 2 of these in a multi-camera security monitoring system but they continue to occasionally freeze up and stop working. If you spend a little more, you can get a much better phone that actually works like a smartphone is supposed to.
on March 16, 2016
Mine was used for a 'breadcrumb' GPS, and I wiped/disabled all superfluous apps.

Perfect bike or hiking computer for this purpose; useless for a prepaid phone, and the $20 price tag expresses that notion.

Looking for a prepaid phone that works? Pay attention to RAM and storage space. This one barely has functionality.

EDIT: This thing has proven its garbage. YouTube music player, and backup alarm clock.
on November 6, 2016
This was my first smartphone, about a year ago. I chose it because of its small size and low price. I thought the screen and interface were nice, though it was difficult to type on the tiny keypad, even after turning it horizontal to make it a bit bigger. Voice audio quality was good; one problem that had driven my from my previous phone was audio quality so poor I had difficulty understanding men with lower voices. No such problem with the Samsung.

So why only two stars? Because after installing a few apps, it became impossibly slow. The processor has only a single core, and that single core is fairly slow at 1Ghz. Apps running in the background made it all but impossible to make a phone call. But the main app I needed, OneBusAway, is notoriously bad about hogging resources in the background. This phone would take forever to respond when I wanted to make a call. I finally started just pulling the battery to force a reboot.

So, if you don't install apps, or if you are careful to only install apps that don't run in the background, this is a great value. Otherwise, it will be frustrating.

I upgraded to it's larger sibling, the Samsung Galaxy Stardust, and was much happier. Then recently I got a refurb Samsung Core Prime from Tracfone for $30, and it's even better. Though I had originally chosen the Centura for its small size, I find that I don't mind the larger sizes of these other two. They fit fine in my front pocket. And the screens are so much easier to type on.
on December 3, 2013
The internal clock on this phone will randomly set itself backwards 5 hours. This will obviously cause major problems with any app that requires a clock (ie all apps). Specifically if you set an alarm it will fail to go off on time if you are unlucky enough to have the time randomly change. For me I have had the phone for about two months and the clock goes haywire about twice a week and have been unable to see any trend as to what circumstances cause this.

I have contacted Tracfone customer support multiple times. They tried reactivating the phone, and they had me delete the entire phone contents and restore factory defaults but nothing resolved the problem. The most recent "solution" was to disable the auto network time setting feature. This means if you change time zones the time will not auto correct as it does on any other phone.

Will report back in a couple weeks to confirm if this will or will not halfway solve the product defect. I have seen in several user forums that many other owners are reporting random time changes of 4 , 5 or 6 hours back in time so this is not an isolated issue to my phone so wanted to warn other buyers of this defect that neither Samsung nor Tracfone are willing to fix properly. Samsung will not support this phone at all and will direct you to Tracfone for support. Please bear this in mind if you plan to purchase this phone be on the lookout for unpredictable time changes.

UPDATE Dec 6
Even with disabling the auto network time setting feature as requested by Tracfone support the phone changed the time back 5 hours twice in one day. Still no solution for issue.

UPDATE Mar 28
Phone clock continues to randomly sets itself backwards 5 hours maybe twice a week the quick fix is to put phone into airplane mode and back out and the clock will correct itself. Clearly Samsung has no plan to fix this bug.

Also notable for those looking at this phone is the camera. I takes decent photos so long as it is more than 5 feet away. The 3 Megapixel camera is completely incapable of taking a non-blurry close up photo regardless of lighting. So you can't use the camera for scanning bar codes, QR codes, or even deposit checks with mobile banking apps since all close up pictures are lousy and blurry.

Update Aug 14 - Has ANYONE solved the random clock defect on this phone? Its clear neither Tracfone nor Samsung plan any fix for this phone. My clock still to this day randomly sets backwards 5 hours at least twice a week.
88 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2014
This phone worked okay - just okay - for a few months. It was acceptable as a cell phone, albeit a little slow as smartphones go. Still, I was content until one day it simply stopped working. It would not turn on. The battery indicator would appear on the screen (fully charged), the recovery mode would boot, but android would not load. Just to make sure I bought a new battery, but the problem was unchanged.

I've had this phone about nine months. In those nine months I have barely used it, as I live rural and only use it when I travel into areas that have cell service (there is none at my house). This means it has been well cared form lightly used, and it should have lasted much longer than it did. I am very disappointed with Samsung.

Any body want to buy a parts phone?
on October 1, 2016
It is slow. It is laggy. It does not connect well to WiFi.
The OS is set to prevent writing apps to the SD card.
I can only barely use this. If I knew how bad it was, I would have gone with something else. I thought the name (Samsung) would mean it was better than this. I was wrong.
I would not recommend this to anyone. If you need a budget phone, there are better options for as little or less. The sluggishness became such an issue that I decided not to replace my aging other phone after taking a good assessment of this one. I would not feel confident in my ability to even answer it if it came down to it.
The battery life is great.
UPDATE - Despite being a happy TracFone customer for quite some time, this has changed drastically. The service has dropped off. Despite being given assurances that a lapse in service days would allow me to keep my phone number, data, texts, and minutes, this was proven to not be the case. Consideration of this carrying was a large part of why I favored TracFone. When I picked up my most current airtime card, I was also prepared to upgrade my phone. I am glad I did not set up that purchase before adding the time.
Not only was I unable to keep my service as assured, but the process was incredibly frustrating. If you need budget cell service, TracFone is mediocre, and I no longer highly recommend it.