- Product Dimensions: 5.1 x 2.7 x 0.4 inches ; 4.5 ounces
- Shipping Weight: 12 ounces
- Domestic Shipping: Item can be shipped within U.S.
- International Shipping: This item is not eligible for international shipping. Learn More
- ASIN: B005LHN47S
- Item model number: Epic Touch
- Average Customer Review: 231 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #187,367 in Cell Phones & Accessories (See Top 100 in Cell Phones & Accessories) Product Warranty: For warranty information about this product, please click here
- Discontinued by manufacturer: Yes
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
A premium Android-powered smartphone, the Samsung Epic 4G Touch for Sprint has been designed to deliver the best multilayered entertainment experience thanks to its superior speed and display innovation. Powered by one of the fastest processors on the market--the new 1.2 GHz dual-core Samsung Exynos, the Epic 4G Touch runs on Sprint's ultra-fast 4G network (as well as 3G networks where 4G isn't available yet) for lighting quick access to movie downloads, games, and thousands of applications.
A premium Android-powered smartphone, the Samsung Epic 4G Touch for Sprint has been designed to deliver the best multilayered entertainment experience thanks to its superior speed and display innovation. Powered by one of the fastest processors on the market--the new 1.2 GHz dual-core Samsung Exynos, the Epic 4G Touch runs on Sprint's ultra-fast 4G network (as well as 3G networks where 4G isn't available yet) for lighting quick access to movie downloads, games, and thousands of applications--all without buffering or lag time.
The Samsung Epic 4G Touch with brilliant 4.52-inch Super AMOLED Plus display (see larger image).
8-megapixel camera on the back with
Full HD 1080p video capture.
Enjoy on-the-go entertainment with the large 4.52-inch touchscreen and unrivaled Super AMOLED Plus technology offering deeper, richer color for a bright and vivid display. The Epic 4G Touch also includes an 8-megapixel camera/camcorder with auto-focus and flash that shoots video with incredible detail in full HD 1080p resolution, plus a 2-megapixel front-facing camera that's perfect for self-portraits or video chat.
It runs on Sprint's expanding 4G network, offering simultaneous voice and data connectivity and download speeds up to 10 times faster than 3G. Additionally, the phone can still connect to 3G data services in areas not currently served by Sprint's 4G network (learn more about Sprint's 4G network below). The phone also includes Wireless-N Wi-Fi networking plus Mobile Hotspot capability for sharing your 3G/4G connection with up to eight Wi-Fi enabled devices simultaneously.
Other features include a 16 GB internal memory (with expansion up to 32 GB via optional microSD cards), Bluetooth for hands-free devices and stereo music streaming, GPS for navigation via built-in Google Maps and location-based services (plus access to the optional Sprint Navigation turn-by-turn service), personal and corporate e-mail, and up to 6 hours of talk time (see full specifications below).
Despite being one of the thinnest smartphones on the market--measuring just 0.38 inches thin-- the Epic 4G Touch is packed with a bevy of Samsung technological innovations and exclusive features.
Samsung's Media Hub enables you to rent or purchase movies and TV shows within seconds watch from the convenience of anywhere. With Media Hub's progressive downloading feature, you can start watching your content almost immediately as the rest of the file downloads to the Infuse 4G. Plus, all Media Hub content can be shared among five Media Hub-enabled devices on the same account.
Ultra-fast 1.2 GHz dual-core processor perfect for gaming and viewing HD videos.
Super svelte at just 0.38 inches thin.
Down to Business
While the Epic 4G Touch is ideal for mobile multimedia, it's also packed full of top-of-the-line enterprise functionality as well as access to corporate e-mail (with full support of Exchange ActiveSync). The on-device encryption function offers a hardware-accelerated algorithm for superior performance. Other enterprise features include:
The Samsung Epic 4G Touch weighs 4.55 ounces and measures 5.1 x 2.7 x 0.38 inches. Its 1800 mAh lithium-ion battery is rated at up to 8.7 hours of talk time. It runs on Sprint's 4G network as well as the 800/1900 CDMA/EV-DO Rev. A frequencies.
What's in the Box
Samsung Epic 4G Touch handset, rechargeable battery, charger, USB cable, quick start guide
Android Gingerbread Operating System
The Epic 4G Touch runs the Android 2.3 operating system (dubbed Gingerbread) which features a cleaner, more refined interface with new icons, improved top notification bar, and more intuitive navigation.
Multitasking in Gingerbread allows you the ability to run more than one app at a time. If you're playing a game, you can easily switch to an incoming email and then switch back to the game without losing your place. And like the previous version of Android ("Froyo"), Gingerbread provides support for Adobe Flash Player 10.1 for access to the full Web.
A new onscreen keyboard makes it easier to type thanks to additional spacing between the keys and larger font sizes. And the more you use the keyboard, the easier typing will be as the enhanced suggest feature records previous input history to make better suggestions.
The Epic 4G Touch also brings one-touch access to the popular Google mobile services you use every day, including Google Search, Gmail, Google Maps with Navigation, Google Calendar, Picasa, and YouTube. It also provides easy access to both personal and corporate e-mail, calendars, and contacts supported by Exchange Server and Gmail. And through Android Market, you'll get access to thousands of useful applications, widgets, and fun games to download and install on your phone, with many more apps being added every day.
Sprint's Blazing Fast 4G Network
Sprint 4G offers a faster wireless experience than any other U.S. national wireless carrier, and Sprint is the only national carrier offering wireless 4G service in 32 markets (with more coming online soon). Sprint 4G delivers download speeds up to 10 times faster than 3G, giving this mobile phone the fastest data speeds of any U.S. wireless device available today. As of August 2011, Sprint offers 4G service in 71 markets in 28 states.
Sprint 4G services dramatically increase download speeds for photos, videos and large files. You can download a favorite song, picture, sitcom or large video in seconds, not minutes, or watch live streaming video--all while on the go, not just from the home or office. Additionally, businesses can benefit from the fast connectivity speeds of 4G. Some examples include:
- Real estate agents can conduct virtual property tours.
- Construction teams using 4G in the field can save valuable time by sharing schematics with engineers online.
- Insurance companies can speed their claims management through real-time communication with on-site adjusters.
- Health care professionals can improve their ability to remotely monitor patients.
- Emergency first responders can rapidly assess and coordinate disaster action with real-time on-site video and audio.
- Photojournalists can instantly transfer high-resolution images to the newsroom.
Also Available for This Android Device
Amazon Appstore for Android
Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA), also known as CMAS, is a part of a national alerting system called IPAWS (Integrated Public Alert and Warning System) that enables emergency management officials to rapidly disseminate the warnings and safety information via text alerts to wireless phones based on the phones’ geographic location. The Federal Emergency Management Agency or FEMA is responsible for receiving the alerting information and forwarding the alerts to participating wireless carriers such as Sprint. Such alerts may come from the President of the United States; the National Weather Service, state or county public safety officials. This system is integrated into the same national alerting services that serve television and radio today.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
This is by far the best phone I have ever used. My previous phone is a EVO 4g so luckily i got renewed after a year.
This is my own personal review based on experiences with my EVO 4g, my friends's ip4 and this Epic 4g touch.
By far, Epic 4g touch wins by a mile.
1. Its light as hell!!!!! it feels like you're holding a toy or a dummy phone (this may be good or bad depending on the user, it's really good for me)
2. The size is good enough for me but then again it depends on how big your hands are.
3. The colors are very very VERY vibrant, it really stands out from all angles.
4. It is silky smooth, SILKY SMOOTH. the OS has no lag at all, i tried a pinch to zoom test for the ip4 and epic 4g touch and surprisingly, the epic 4g is so much better.
5. Video camera is on par if not better with Ip4.
6. Touchwiz has a lot of nice functions and the widgets are very nice.
7. Battery life is not too bad, i can go a day without having to recharge.
8. Probably one of my top compliments of the phone, the kies air app is well thought out and wonderfully done. It helps a lot with deleting and transferring stuff to your phone.
9. The screen is not a fingerprint magnet.
10. It is so thin, i'm afraid to hold it in my hand cause it feels like i'm going to drop it (also due to its lightweight)
11. No need to really do any customization cause the widgets work well and they look very nice.
12. Touchwiz provides a power widget which is very useful: It goes according to this: wifi- bluetooth-gps-brightness-settings-sync-screentime out-tips (toggle off and on)
13. They have a widget for "active applications", this is like a task killer app that you would find in the market. Very easy to use, helps exit all apps if needed, also shows you all your download apps so you can uninstall them if you wish.
14. When you're charging the phone, once it its 100%, it will give out a beep letting you it's done.
15. When you're calling and you unlock your phone, the notification bar turns neon green (which i think is pretty cool)
16. Sprint will be the only carrier with an notification led on the front.
17. Battery life update: From 1% to 100% charge, it takes about 2 hours, 45 minutes. Last night, I charged it to 99%. I watched a 5 minute youtube video then went to sleep. Work up, went to work at 9am to 2pm. Mobile was on with my IMO (messaging program) the entire time. Surfed the web, checked email and returned a few text (This is also with live wallpaper on). By the time it was 7PM, the battery had hit 1%. Total hours on battery life was about 20 hours. So yes, the battery to me is very good but each to their own.
Now for the cons:
1. the touch buttons are not as sensitive as the EVO 4g touch. You would have to hit it directly with little error margin to get it right.
2. The charging cable is very short.
3. I'm not sure if the camera on the back is touching the surface when its laid on its back.
4. No dedicated flashlight app however this can be downloaded from the market.
5. The power button is located on the right side, the volume rocker is on the left side. Sometimes i hit the rocker volume while trying to hit the power button however i just need more practice.
6. When charging and placed on a flat surface , the touch sensor lags, this only happens when its charging.
7. The touch sensitive buttons have white led light and you can control the duration however the options are given to you at a max of 6 seconds or "always on", they could have given us the option of letting us create our own duration.
8. No dedicated battery app however you can download it in the market.
9. Dock icons can't be replaced (maybe it can and i just don't know it?) UPDATE: it can be replaced except the apps icon.
10. Not sure if this is a con for me yet but when you want to make a call, you would have to swipe . So there is 2 ways of calling: (1) you hit the call button, hit the log button, click the contact, then click on call. (clicking on the contact is what im more use to) and (2) you hit the call button, hit the log button and you swipe right on the contact to call.
11. Kies Air can only transfer 100mb or less to your phone.
-Coming from Evo 4g, i'm use to having the home button on the far left where as the epic 4g touch is located on the 2nd button.
13. Speakers are located on the bottom back which makes it weak if the phone is flat on the surface.
Again, most of the things listed above is from my own personal experience and maybe some may feel the same way.
Here are some tips i found:
1. You can take a screen shot of your phone, just hold the power + home button at the same time and let go.
2. When listening to the stock music player or if somebody is calling, you can flip the phone so the front screen is on the bottom to mute.
3. You can uninstall most of the sprint store apps.
4. to save battery, i usually turn off auto sync.
5. when you're at the call log, you can swipe left to message the person, or swipe right to call the person.
6. You can create folders
7. If you use stock browser, you can switch windows by pinching in. fingers should start from.the top and bottom. You heard.it here first. Enjoy.
8. When somebody is calling you, you have 3 options (1) Pick up (2) decline (3) swipe up and a menu will pop up with text messages to send to the person such as "I am driving". All you hvae to do is click send. Very useful and handy!
9. You can only transfer 100mb maximum on kies air.
10. You tube and music still plays with the screen off.
11. May want to get class 6 for.microsd, I was told it would lag a bit accessing files. Such as opening gallery.
12. Sometimes I hit the EN (swype keyboard) on accident and it turns to ES english to spanish). To turn this off hold on the EN key and uncheck ES.
Overall, i would recommend this phone to everybody I know. This is the best phone out in the market today and yes i know, nexus prime and ip5 is coming out but honestly, this phone is so good that i would say it would be on par with them and it's not because of spec but also because of design. It looks physically sexy. I honestly would say this can be an "iDroid" Haha, the reason i say this is because its taken the smoothness of the iOS and the customization of the android system and merged it together to become one. THIS PHONE is what all phones should be, the only reason not to get this phone is the size if it's not good enough for you otherwise, this phone should make a lot of people happy.
As far as GPS and wifi signal goes, I haven't had any loss signals YET. Also, the slight lag with the lock screen seems to be related to the microsd card installed. Once i've taken the card out, the lag decreases.
I have figured what the problem is when there is lag while charging. It has to do with the charger itself, the usb connector is fine. I have a car charger and noticed when i was charging, there was no lag at all. So i went home and tried charging it with the OEM charger that was in the box, there was lag, the touch was not registering correctly. I decided to switch the charger to another one (i'm using the power charger from my HP Touchpad) and I'm not experiencing any lag at all. I hope this helps, ya heard it here first! 10/4/11
Update (3 more tips
1. Seen this one with iphone and i never got time to play around with the camera on s2 however there is a panorama option which is quite awesome!
2. With the stock email client, if you pinch in, it will sort all your emails by the date.
UPDATE. Dont buy this phone. After a month it wouldnt show text messages that had been sent to me. My friends and family were getting upset that i never replied to their texts...i didnt get them. My screen would flicker and then shut off and wouldnt turn back on until i plugged in the phone. It got to the point when the phone would only stay on when plugged in to the charger. So i switched. Went to metro pcs. Got a great phone for under 100.. My plan is so cheap and i havent had a problem so far. Dont order phones online and go through the same thing i did
Most recent customer reviews
Power button stopped working for a day or so but then worked fine after that
overall happy other than battery life