Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Garnet Red Tablet Bundle (7-Inch, 8 GB) 2013 Model
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now STEM

TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 22, 2014
This is my review of non Red version, but it is the same. Red version is even better for those who like the color!

There are too many tablets these days, right?! Samsung's third generation of Galaxy Tab series is highly anticipated and for this price point phenomenal. I have been using Galaxy Tab 2 and I will compare and contrast here. I played around with review units of all sizes and I have since returned them. My reviews are unbiased and neutral! First, if you have not had any tablets before, Get THIS! Yes, Get this 7". It is ideal for plane trips, long journeys. I had used a 7" Tablet on a long journey to listen to songs and read epub books (Aldiko) and it was a very pleasant experience. 7" form factor is lightweight, compact and great. If you are a bit experienced and can afford it, I highly recommend the 8". In my opinion 8" is the maximum value for the money and features and hence I gave 8" a 5 star. I gave 7" a 4 star (but no means undermining it). I gave the 10" also a 4 star because of some strange spec `limitations'.

Samsung has introduced 7", 8" and 10.1" of the Tab 3 series. They are entering all form factors. As I know they have something in 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10" lines. Woo.. All of the 7, 8, 10" Galaxy Tabs come in white and golden brown color. My preference is white color. Looks pretty!

Let's start off with salient points of all of the Galaxy Tab 3 series. I will later compare with the previous Tab 2 model.

7-inch tablet: 1024 x 600, Marvell dual-core 1.2GHz processor, 1GB RAM, 8GB built-in storage (ROM), a microSD card slot (up to 64 GB), Camera: 3MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 10.58 oz. (300 grams). Android 4.1.2

8-inch model: 1280 x 800, Exynos 1.5GHz dual-core processor, 1.5GB ram, 16GB of built-in storage (ROM), a microSD slot (up to 64 GB), Camera: 5MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 10.9 oz. (309 grams) Android 4.2

10.1-inch model: 1280 x 800, Intel Atom 1.6GHz Z2560 dual-core processor, 1GB RAM, a 16GB built-in storage (ROM), a microSD slot (up to 64 GB), Camera: 3.2MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 17.99 oz. (510 grams). Android 4.2

I am not going into other details like accelerometer etc. as they are all standard these days, Audio support - AAC, AMR, MP3, OGG, WMA/ASF, 3GA/M4A, FLAC, WAV; MP3/MP4/Music Tones; Music Player; Ringtones, Polyphonic. Video support: AVI/DIVX, WMV/ASF, FLV, MKV, MP4/3GP, WEBM; Video Player; Video Streaming. Software is current of release date, and it is expected could be upgraded as next version Android 5 Key Lime Pie. (Currently targeted for Oct 2013). Key Lime Pie's one of the main touting points is compatibility to avoid fragmentation, so I can foresee, all of these models being able to upgrade if Google keeps their promise.

The 7" has a physical home button so are others in the series. Also has capacitive Back and Menu buttons. Camera is a 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera for skype, and a 3-megapixel rear-facing camera. It is also equipped with an IR blaster so it will work as a universal remote on both your TV and cable box. Camera is only so and so, and I will not rely on it to produce outstanding photos. Weighs only 300 gm. 64 GB SD card is awesome! With prices plummeting for 64 GB cards, it is a great boon. Put all your music, books, photos on the SD card and you have a powerful computer in hand always! I personally use the 64 GB microSD card on my mobile devices. Get this mobileUltra (SanDisk 64GB Mobile Ultra MicroSDXC Class 6 Memory Card with SD Adapter - Retail Packaging.

Galaxy Tab 2 is 345 grams, so Tab 3 is lighter by 45 grams. Processors are similar 1.2 GHz dual core in Tab 3 Vs 1 GHz dual core in Tab 2. Resolutions are same with Tab 2 1024 x 600 pixels (~170 ppi pixel density). Tab 3 supports up to 64 GB whereas Tab2 is 32 GB. Not a big deal unless you have tons of video/photo/ebooks/music you want to carry with you all the time. I use a mixture of on device storage + Google Music + box for my data needs. Battery is also same between Tab 2 and Tab 3 7" versions - Non-removable Li-Ion 4000 mAh battery.

Both have Bluetooth 3.0. I cannot confirm still if Tab 3 7" supports OTG. I know for sure Tab 3 8" supports as I tested it. USB Host is one of the most undernoticed features of Androids and is in my opinion one of the best features compared to iPad lines. What this means you get a USB Host cable also otherwise called OTG (On the Go) cables and plug in your USB thumb drive or other USB devices and the device recognizes it. I have used it with Alfa AWUS036H for a wireless project with Android PCAP Capture from reputable Kismet wireless. Another much ignored feature is the TV-out (via MHL A/V link). Unfortunately the 7" does not support it whereas 8in and 10.1 in supports it. You can connect Galaxy devices to a TV to make it truly a fantastic computer if the device supports MHL. Throw in a Bluetooth keyboard and it is awesome. Leo Laporte's TwIT TV which is Internet based show has one full episode in Know How on covering this topic. GPS was spot on and I tried multiple GPS apps. It was bright outdoors (had to crank the brightness all the way up). I personally use Navigon from Garmin and have downloaded several apps.

Finally, believe me, don't get mired in the spec game. 7" is equally capable as a 8in for `most' day to day apps. If you are reading books, browsing, listening to music, looking at photos 7" is more than enough. Samsung is creating markets for all form factors and I would consider this as an exploratory stage. Just like Ford or Toyota has cars in different shapes, sizes and price range, so are the tablet vendors now. Remember the laptop wars, 10", 12" 13", 15, 17 and even some 19" if I remember right few years ago. We used to debate endlessly which laptop sizes are better, which has better speakers and so on. The time has come to fight it out for tablets!

I tried following apps and they just worked awesome. A tablet is only as good as the apps you have and how productive it makes you. It's almost like the camera/lens analogy in the DSLR space. What good it is to have a great DSLR body if you have no good lens? Same with Tablet body and apps you have.
WolframAlpha (I can go on for hours praising this. This is a truly genius app powered by hundreds of supercomputers in the background. Wolfram is a computational genius). Well worth the $3 price.

Withings HealthMate. (another remarkable app great UI/UX). I am getting the Pulse device as soon as it hit stores. I have been using Fitbit and just itching to get the Pulse as I like the intergrated weight/track runs in one app)
Aldiko Book Reader Premium (absolutely love it)
Amazon Mobile
Android Status
Android Central app (great and must have for Android users)
Androidify
Angry Birds (Space/Seasons)
Asphalt 7
Amazon App Store
Battery Monitor Widget Pro (a great app)
BeyondPod (excellent for podcasts, I haven't used Pocketcast, some friends say it is very good too)
Box
Car Maintenance Reminder Pro
Chrome
CloudShark Upload
CNET TV
Despicable Me Game! And weather widget (cute for kids)
Dictionary M-W Premium
Dragonvale
NAVIGON (from Garmin - offline maps)
Google Navigation/Earth/Maps using a portable MiFi box
Google Currents (nice way to read News)
Google Keep/Keboard/Drive/Search/Books/Voice/Hangouts
Draw Something
Ebay
Linkedin
Google Music (Awesome, I have now upto 10,000 songs halfway through Google's 20K Limit)
Tapatalk HD (awesome forum browsing app)
OverDrive Media Console: Library eBooks & Audiobooks
Microsoft One Note (legacy docs, skydrive of 25 GB is good)
Subsonic Music Streamer
Terminal Emulator (still need to use vi, yes this is it)
TweetCaster Pro for Android
ASIN:B007R6PKBY Twit.Tv
Skype
Sphero (Awesome bluetooth ball game)
RealCalc Plus (Awesome calculator app)
Tweetcaster Pro (again awesomeness)
Plenty of Widgets

Ask questions, the reviews cannot do full justice. I will be glad to answer any questions and usually answer within 24 hours to any query.
1515 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2014
Love the galaxy 7"! Love the Garnet red. Love the bundle...the very nice book cover and 3 months of Netflix...free!!
The tablet itself is good....not as good as the 8", but good enough. Great bundle for great price! Thank you Amazon!
on February 14, 2014
I like the color, convenient size and weight. the picture quality is good. i have no complaints at all. i bought because of the reviews i read on amazon. i am glad i did.
on May 6, 2014
Nice color, nice case. Very fast does everything I need it to do and the battery lasts a long time.
on December 7, 2015
I picked this out for my Nana.. All she uses it for is facebook, pet rescue saga, n other games like that.. my Papa uses it for youtube, maybe a game or two, n occationally facebook.. So as in featutes, I cant tell u how good all of it is.. She first had about a $80 Dragon Touch 7 in tablet n it went out after about 2 months.. Terrible tablet!! This samsung tab has been better n has lasted a lot longer.. My grandparents are extremely careful with it!! But the charge port is messed up n to charge it, they have to wrap the cord around the tablet.. Weve noticed lately the tablet is running so slow, internet or not, it lags annoyingly.. I have a system cleaner on the tab, so i know its not built up cache n junk like that.. It is a nice tablet n it shipped faster than what we thought it would.. My nana paid $150 plus, i dont think Id pay that much for this tablet so I assume part of that price is for the name.. Regardless of the features, I feel like the port is a big deal since theyve been so darn easy on this tablet so Id hate to see what would happen if the tab actually took some abuse..
on April 21, 2014
I chose this particular model because I like the color and matching case. Although the case is not ideal for heavy duty protection, it is not bulky and enough to protect the tablet from scratches in a purse. The 8 inch Galaxy model may be a better balance between portability and performance, but for my use as a secondary travel tablet, this model saves money and does the job just fine.
on May 28, 2014
We recently bought this device after trying out a Seagate Wireless drive that was having compatability issues with our Kindle Fire HD... We bought this in order to have a simple yet versatile device for which to play our daughter's movie collection on. Since all the Kindle's have limited storage (once full you have to either watch everything else streaming - we all know how that can go sometimes - or delete things in order to download new), we decided to try something that it's storage, though just as limited with it's own capacities, could be expanded and swapped out with another card with the rest of her movies if need be (sometimes you just don't have access to a reliable wireless connection...)

After receiving it, we opened it, turned it on, set up it's wireless to connect to the internet (you do NOT have to attach this to a phone plan for it to work!!!) in order to complete the set-up/registration process which took roughly 5 minutes. Unlike our Fire, it: plays just about any movie or music format, has expandable memory via the micro-SD slot on it, and can be connected via USB to our laptops for easy transfer to either the micro-SD card or the device's hard drive. If you are familiar with any of the Samsung Galaxy devices then running this tablet is easy, or if you are familiar with "Android" devices then it shouldn't be much harder to figure out how to operate it. The sound and video exceeded my expectations for the price paid/size of the tablet. Plus as a bonus it did come with the basic red snap on cover similar to that you get for a Kindle. One down-fall similar to that of the Fire is the need to download "Aps" in order to do certain things (Amazon library, Google Play, etc), but as you pretty much have to do this with a Kindle it's not really a deficiency.

I have nothing but good things to say about this device. It meets/exceeds our needs and was still as affordable (if not slightly cheaper) than a Kindle.
on June 27, 2014
I don't own a smartphone & had never had a tablet in my life. I researched the heck out of tablets to know what to get that I could actually understand that didn't cost too much in case I didn't like it. The red color is nice, & I liked there was a cover included, though I ended up getting a more heavy duty one, it was good to tide me over. I watched youtube videos on how to use it, and I have to say I love it & feel so hip now. Battery life is good, no issues at all, and is the perfect size for me to hold. The tab 4 had just come out when I got this, but this software is perfectly fine for what I need it for & I didn't see the need to pay more. I wasn't used to android so had to get used to that instead of windows, but got the hang of it pretty quickly.
on June 21, 2014
easy to use , front an rear camera ,size is just right ,touch screen , fast charge ,.easy to down load
on April 19, 2014
Its perfect for what i wanted it for. does everything I want when i go away. It is very compact.