Workplace Solutions Best Kids' Books of the Year Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Presto! Laundry Gifts for Him hgg16 Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services pet pet pet  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Now

Color: White|Size: 16 GB|Change
Price:$169.74+ Free shipping

Showing 1-10 of 661 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on April 10, 2013
Caught this phone on sale for $10 on March 31, 2013 and I've got to say, it's a fantastic phone. I was really nervous about switching from a no-contract phone (HTC Evo 3D on Virgin Mobile) to being locked into a 2-year contract, but so far it's not so bad. Verizon has the best service I've ever seen, and the 4G speeds continuously blow my face off.

I'll list a few personal likes and dislikes.

PROS:
-It's fast. Real fast. From off to fully booted in about a minute, which is a far cry from the 5 minutes it took my Evo 3D to fully load.

-Plenty of storage. I was concerned about the fact that the S3 doesn't allow storage of apps on the SD card, especially with the limited space (16GB onboard), which effectively makes my 16GB SD card an endless supply of photo storage. I use Spotify as my main source of music, so I was disappointed that the S3 forces the offline storage onto the onboard emulated "SD card". However, it didn't turn out to be too bad of a letdown. I've got about 4GB of space left to play around with on the phone itself, and the SD card is pretty much untouched.

-The camera. My God, the camera! It's honestly the best one I've ever had on a phone. My Evo had a dual 5MP camera (hence the 3D) and it was decent, but what a difference 3MP makes! The auto-focus is excellent, and the low-light function is fantastic. I was surprised at how much light this device can capture in low-light settings! Shooting video is also a pleasure. There's a certain realistic effect to each video that makes me never want to go back to anything lesser.

-The size. At first I thought it might be a little to big to handle. Compared to my Evo's 4.3in display, this dude's a monster. But it's a nice change, I have to admit! It's still comfortable to hold, and in fact it's thinner than my old device which adds to the experience. I very much appreciate the power button's location on the right side of the device. So much easier to access than if it were on the top.

-The notification LED! This is more of a silly novelty, but you'd be surprised how many people actually consider it a dealbreaker if a phone doesn't have an LED notification. It doesn't quite display every color imaginable, but it does more than just blink red and green. Certain apps have their own default color built into them (Facebook blinks blue, Yahoo mail blinks pink/fuchsia, etc.) It's a nice plus. Just DO NOT GET LIGHTFLOW if you want more control over the LED. For some reason it drains the battery at ludicrous speed, and causes certain features on the phone to act wonky. Wait until they update the app.

-The Battery. This is probably the biggest selling point for me. My old phone would last about 5 hours on even medium or low-medium use, and that's pretty sad. The S3 does much better than that. Heavy usage still sucks battery life, but the usage-to-battery-life ratio is much more comfortable than anything I've owned. I can usually get through an entire day and still have about 40% before bed, and that's after 4G, wifi, screen and surfing. I really appreciate the capacity this phone has.

-The headset!!! My God, the headset. The headphones that came with the phone are quite possibly the best headphones I've ever owned. They're the in-ear type so they cancel out most sound, ensuring a rich hearing experience. Coupled with Spotify Mobile's new Equalizer feature, I can't help but keep them in my ears all day. It's like hearing my music for the first time again!

-S Voice is OK. I'm not foaming at the mouth over it, but it's a nice addition to the OS. I use it to set alarms and tasks, and ask about the weather. Google Now can also do these things and then some.

Now to the other stuff...

CONS:
-Screen quality. I'm not a fan of the screen type Samsung and Motorola use in their devices. There's always this blue-green tint to everything, sometimes it's not very noticeable, but on lighter backgrounds (such as on Facebook) you'll notice it. I'll get used to it, but I much prefer HTC's pure-white, no-tint look with their screens.

-Pixel Density. I can see pixels, which is automatically a con. It's not horrible, I'd just prefer a higher pixel density. But where there's higher pixel counts, there's need for higher battery capacity which means bigger battery size which means fatter phones. I'm okay with it for now.

To be honest, the pros outweigh the cons by a longshot.
on June 6, 2014
Did not take long for the phone to get delivered. Phone did work but now it breaks up and I have to put it on speaker. But after awhile will not work at all.......stuck now for two years with Verizon plan.
Sincerely,
Very unhappy
on April 29, 2016
Got this for my husband when he dropped and broke his old galaxy phone. he had taken the case off and poof he drops it! Just like I said he would if he took the case off, the screen broke. The one time that I am not happy to be right. So this was a great replacement and was cost effective by not having to go to the cell phone store for the same phone at an outrageous price. His phone is still working great and no glitches and we are pleased with the purchase.
on January 4, 2016
Great phone! The size is perfect it fits right in your hand and you can easily text worth just one hand. The screen is not good quality though after just two small drops the screen and LCD was completely broken. The price to have that fixed is just about the cost of the phone itself.
on June 7, 2013
The product arrived on-time and works mostly as advertised.

But it's the dealing with Verizon that always sours an experience. They claim that all their smart phones are unlocked, but they don't tell you that the unlocking does NOT apply to data -- unless you know to ask specifically, in which case you probably already know their game.
on January 17, 2016
Bought for my son as a gift; he opines, as do the clerks in the Verizon store, that the older model Galaxy smart phones are superior to the newer ones. I don't know why; I can't operate a smart phone. (I'm the dinosaur in the room with a 2003 model Razr flip phone.) Still, this is the smart phone of choice for 3 of my adult kids, so I guess that says something.
on August 17, 2015
I was somewhat disappointed with the purchase of this phone. When I received the phone, the packaging was awful (brown paper bag with the phone rolled up inside of it). It looked like the phone was being smuggled into me illegally. When I opened the package, I noticed that there was no phone charger that came with it (the only thing in the brown paper bag was the phone and its back cover, unattached). Luckily, I have a few spare chargers around the house. When I attempted to activate the phone, there was no SIM card. I had to go to the Verizon Wireless store to get one and activate the phone. While at the store, the representative could not assist me because the SIM Card activation was not working. They informed me that the phone could have been "flashed". I was so embarrassed as they sent me away, I came home and attempted a few times to activate the phone until it finally did. The phone was a gift for my mother because she is learning new technology and was really excited to get her new "smartphone". For a moment I thought I would have to send the product back. Overall, the product is working and looks great. It is fully functional and has not given us any problem. I just wish that the product would have came with a charger and a SIM card. I would try shopping around for other vendors who offer these options!
on October 1, 2015
Just bought this one used and was not surprised to find the water indicators had already been triggered on it since these devices are so prone to it. This is the 3rd S3 I've bought this year, one for me and two for other family members, and mine died when exposed to rain water (thank goodness for insurance) and the other two are still going strong but all three of them showed the water indicators triggered upon arrival after purchase and since the other two haven't been dropped in water or caught in rain or even tipped into a sink its a little unnerving how touchy the things are, especially since some insurance wont cover what they see as water damage even if that's not what caused a phone to fail. Other than that this would have been a fantastic phone that I had no issues with.
on October 9, 2015
My first smartphone. Does everything I want it to do and some stuff that I didn't know I wanted it to do until I got it. The pics are so much clearer on this phone than on my previous one (Standard cellphone-Pantech Pursuit). Screen is clear, and even used it runs on the web faster than my tablet..craziness. There's a great SD slot in the phone which is perfect for carrying around your music or some videos which keeps my data usage down. (video quality is VERY nice)
on July 5, 2016
Very happy with this phone. It's not the latest and greatest but is light years ahead of my (really) old phone. I resisted updating to a touch screen for years but my wife finally talked me into one and I'm glad now that she did. All that was necessary after receiving the phone was a quick trip to my local Verizon store to have a SIM card installed and the phone activated and my contact info transferred, all for $10.