BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now HTL17_gno

For almost ONE YEAR now, I have owned this tablet and it has run wonderfully for me.

Because I used it so much, I have tested thoroughly and found that it does have overall advantages. So as a techie, I tested this tablet out and below I will list what I have found to be the Pros and Cons of this tablet and have listed what I personally discovered. Then this will hopefully help you to decide if this is the right tablet for you or not...(By the way, to let you know,
Something to consider: If you are looking for a COMPACT VERY PORTABLE and lightweight WiFi only tablet (and do not need the phone part), consider this tablet. (This is my favorite size because I can carry in my purse, tote, gym bag etc so easily! While it does not have every bell and whistle installed on it, it is a good choice for: Checking emails, Getting Online, Looking at Pictures, Watching Home Movies.

Here are the Pros and the Cons below.

PROS:

1- WiFi connects easily and the signal is SUPERB in most places I tested. (Found the WiFi signal is VERY STRONG in my home and even in my backyard). This model has the strongest WiFi signal of any tablet or phone that I own! And it stays on the WiFi for long distances without dropping the signal EVER!
2- The advantage of having a SD card slot that will hold up to 64GB.
3- Small and lightweight. Comfortable to carry around and place in backpack or briefcase easily.
4- Micro USB Port - This is common in most tablets these days, but the older Tab 2 line did not have micro port but the propriety wider port.
5- Screen clarity - For me, I found this screen easy to read eBooks on and view internet pages.

CONS:

- 8GB internal storage - this it the advertized storage before Samsung added the OS, apps, Touch Wiz and because the OS takes up room, apps etc, take up room, the tablet just has about 4.7GB in the internal storage when you receive the tablet. No problem really I still have over 4 GB left on mine after all of my apps I added from Playstore.

Bottom line and Summary:

** Price and New to Tablet Person (or for a child/student) - For the low cost of about 160 (or less if used) dollars, this tablet will make a very nice FIRST TABLET or a TABLET FOR KIDS as it is a lower cost tablet that is easy to learn and has lots of features for the money. For just 160 dollars or so new, I find this a very good buy and this tablet may just be the one for you.

** Experienced Tablet Person - If this is NOT your first tablet and you want a higher end tablet, and want to spend just a little bit more say about 90 more dollars, then you may want to consider the Tab 3 8.0 with 16GB of internal storage and larger screen etc. Also there are many very nice 7 inch tablets out there to choose from that have better specs and better screen resolution and better internal storage.

If you are to have any questions about this tablet, you may ask me in the comment section and I will answer right away.
5150+ comments| 1,388 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2014
I ordered this tablet because I have a ASUS Memo HD that has spent more time getting repairs, than actually being used. The Samsung on the other hand is a nice little 7 inch tablet, though 8 gigs of space turns into about 5 gigs of space and google only lets you load apps on the device. So the space fills up fast. I did learn to move my Audible books to the SD card and I can load most but not all my apps on this device. This device isn't as zippy as I thought it would be. But overall I like the tablet. I think the sweet spot for this type of tablet would be 16 gigs and SD expansion to 64 gigs is prefect hence the 8 inch tablet. But I wanted something smaller than my 10 inch tablets, and something I could just throw in my purse and listen to my audiobooks or read my e-books or listen to music etc. I am not crazy about Googles/Android web browsers and the whole Flash issues. My iPad I can visit news websites and watch the video, but you can't on a android tablet without a big hassle. iPads do not support Flash, but I can still watch the video???? But that is just an Android gripe. I did install Flash and it seems to work ok....
Overall this is a good tablet so far, for the light user and with careful installation you can move some data to a memory card and make this thing more usable. But if you love your apps and need space get a different tablet.
on October 30, 2013
This Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 is a real disappointment. I thought I was buying a premium product, but there are a lot of things wrong with it.

1) The WiFi drops often, even though it is only a few feet from my router and all other WiFi devices connect and STAY connected;

2) The screen "freezes" often; I have to turn it off and re-boot.

3) The 8GB of memory are LOADED with "BLOATWARE": "Game Hub" has games from an outfit called MOBAGE, and they don't work all the time; "Smart Remote" only works with certain televisions and devices ("Samsung cannot guarantee that the Remote Controller will operate on all the products ... listed"); "Samsung WatchON" , some kind of TV remote control, only works with certain cable boxes, not ALL; "Samsung Apps" only has apps that cost (a lot), and are not even very good, unless you like to pay Samsung money; "Samsung Links" only links various Samsung devices, good if you have a Samsung TV, computer, phone and tablet, not good for anything else.

Maybe I am being a little picky about the Bloatware, since just about every manufacturer includes some useless features which you cannot remove. BUT, picky or not, these (to me) useless apps take up quite a bit of the limited 8GB of memory, which I would rather use as I see fit, not as Samsung wants.

On the positive side, the processor is pretty good (except in my case the screen freezes), and the screen is good, but falls short of HD devices.

I just find this to be an over-priced device, even if the WiFi and screen-freeze issues were somehow resolved.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon July 7, 2013
There are too many tablets these days, right?! Samsung's third generation of Galaxy Tab series is highly anticipated and for this price point phenomenal. I have been using Galaxy Tab 2 and I will compare and contrast here. I played around with review units of all sizes and I have since returned them. My reviews are unbiased and neutral! First, if you have not had any tablets before, Get THIS! Yes, Get this 7". It is ideal for plane trips, long journeys. I had used a 7" Tablet on a long journey to listen to songs and read epub books (Aldiko) and it was a very pleasant experience. 7" form factor is lightweight, compact and great. If you are a bit experienced and can afford it, I highly recommend the 8". In my opinion 8" is the maximum value for the money and features and hence I gave 8" a 5 star. I gave 7" a 4 star (but no means undermining it). I gave the 10" also a 4 star because of some strange spec `limitations'.

Samsung has introduced 7", 8" and 10.1" of the Tab 3 series. They are entering all form factors. As I know they have something in 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10" lines. Woo.. All of the 7, 8, 10" Galaxy Tabs come in white and golden brown color. My preference is white color. Looks pretty!

Let's start off with salient points of all of the Galaxy Tab 3 series. I will later compare with the previous Tab 2 model.

7-inch tablet: 1024 x 600, Marvell dual-core 1.2GHz processor, 1GB RAM, 8GB built-in storage (ROM), a microSD card slot (up to 64 GB), Camera: 3MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 10.58 oz. (300 grams). Android 4.1.2

8-inch model: 1280 x 800, Exynos 1.5GHz dual-core processor, 1.5GB ram, 16GB of built-in storage (ROM), a microSD slot (up to 64 GB), Camera: 5MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 10.9 oz. (309 grams) Android 4.2

10.1-inch model: 1280 x 800, Intel Atom 1.6GHz Z2560 dual-core processor, 1GB RAM, a 16GB built-in storage (ROM), a microSD slot (up to 64 GB), Camera: 3.2MP rear-facing, 1.3MP front-facing and weighs 17.99 oz. (510 grams). Android 4.2

I am not going into other details like accelerometer etc. as they are all standard these days, Audio support - AAC, AMR, MP3, OGG, WMA/ASF, 3GA/M4A, FLAC, WAV; MP3/MP4/Music Tones; Music Player; Ringtones, Polyphonic. Video support: AVI/DIVX, WMV/ASF, FLV, MKV, MP4/3GP, WEBM; Video Player; Video Streaming. Software is current of release date, and it is expected could be upgraded as next version Android 5 Key Lime Pie. (Currently targeted for Oct 2013). Key Lime Pie's one of the main touting points is compatibility to avoid fragmentation, so I can foresee, all of these models being able to upgrade if Google keeps their promise.

The 7" has a physical home button so are others in the series. Also has capacitive Back and Menu buttons. Camera is a 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera for skype, and a 3-megapixel rear-facing camera. It is also equipped with an IR blaster so it will work as a universal remote on both your TV and cable box. Camera is only so and so, and I will not rely on it to produce outstanding photos. Weighs only 300 gm. 64 GB SD card is awesome! With prices plummeting for 64 GB cards, it is a great boon. Put all your music, books, photos on the SD card and you have a powerful computer in hand always! I personally use the 64 GB microSD card on my mobile devices. Get this mobileUltra (SanDisk 64GB Mobile Ultra MicroSDXC Class 6 Memory Card with SD Adapter - Retail Packaging.

Galaxy Tab 2 is 345 grams, so Tab 3 is lighter by 45 grams. Processors are similar 1.2 GHz dual core in Tab 3 Vs 1 GHz dual core in Tab 2. Resolutions are same with Tab 2 1024 x 600 pixels (~170 ppi pixel density). Tab 3 supports up to 64 GB whereas Tab2 is 32 GB. Not a big deal unless you have tons of video/photo/ebooks/music you want to carry with you all the time. I use a mixture of on device storage + Google Music + box for my data needs. Battery is also same between Tab 2 and Tab 3 7" versions - Non-removable Li-Ion 4000 mAh battery.

Both have Bluetooth 3.0. I cannot confirm still if Tab 3 7" supports OTG. I know for sure Tab 3 8" supports as I tested it. USB Host is one of the most undernoticed features of Androids and is in my opinion one of the best features compared to iPad lines. What this means you get a USB Host cable also otherwise called OTG (On the Go) cables and plug in your USB thumb drive or other USB devices and the device recognizes it. I have used it with Alfa AWUS036H for a wireless project with Android PCAP Capture from reputable Kismet wireless. Another much ignored feature is the TV-out (via MHL A/V link). Unfortunately the 7" does not support it whereas 8in and 10.1 in supports it. You can connect Galaxy devices to a TV to make it truly a fantastic computer if the device supports MHL. Throw in a Bluetooth keyboard and it is awesome. Leo Laporte's TwIT TV which is Internet based show has one full episode in Know How on covering this topic. GPS was spot on and I tried multiple GPS apps. It was bright outdoors (had to crank the brightness all the way up). I personally use Navigon from Garmin and have downloaded several apps.

Finally, believe me, don't get mired in the spec game. 7" is equally capable as a 8in for `most' day to day apps. If you are reading books, browsing, listening to music, looking at photos 7" is more than enough. Samsung is creating markets for all form factors and I would consider this as an exploratory stage. Just like Ford or Toyota has cars in different shapes, sizes and price range, so are the tablet vendors now. Remember the laptop wars, 10", 12" 13", 15, 17 and even some 19" if I remember right few years ago. We used to debate endlessly which laptop sizes are better, which has better speakers and so on. The time has come to fight it out for tablets!

I tried following apps and they just worked awesome. A tablet is only as good as the apps you have and how productive it makes you. It's almost like the camera/lens analogy in the DSLR space. What good it is to have a great DSLR body if you have no good lens? Same with Tablet body and apps you have.
WolframAlpha (I can go on for hours praising this. This is a truly genius app powered by hundreds of supercomputers in the background. Wolfram is a computational genius). Well worth the $3 price.

Withings HealthMate. (another remarkable app great UI/UX). I am getting the Pulse device as soon as it hit stores. I have been using Fitbit and just itching to get the Pulse as I like the intergrated weight/track runs in one app)
Aldiko Book Reader Premium (absolutely love it)
Amazon Mobile
Android Status
Android Central app (great and must have for Android users)
Androidify
Angry Birds (Space/Seasons)
Asphalt 7
Amazon App Store
Battery Monitor Widget Pro (a great app)
BeyondPod (excellent for podcasts, I haven't used Pocketcast, some friends say it is very good too)
Box
Car Maintenance Reminder Pro
Chrome
CloudShark Upload
CNET TV
Despicable Me Game! And weather widget (cute for kids)
Dictionary M-W Premium
Dragonvale
NAVIGON (from Garmin - offline maps)
Google Navigation/Earth/Maps using a portable MiFi box
Google Currents (nice way to read News)
Google Keep/Keboard/Drive/Search/Books/Voice/Hangouts
Draw Something
Ebay
Linkedin
Google Music (Awesome, I have now upto 10,000 songs halfway through Google's 20K Limit)
Tapatalk HD (awesome forum browsing app)
OverDrive Media Console: Library eBooks & Audiobooks
Microsoft One Note (legacy docs, skydrive of 25 GB is good)
Subsonic Music Streamer
Terminal Emulator (still need to use vi, yes this is it)
TweetCaster Pro for Android
ASIN:B007R6PKBY Twit.Tv
Skype
Sphero (Awesome bluetooth ball game)
RealCalc Plus (Awesome calculator app)
Tweetcaster Pro (again awesomeness)
Plenty of Widgets

Ask questions, the reviews cannot do full justice. I will be glad to answer any questions and usually answer within 24 hours to any query.
5150+ comments| 1,354 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 15, 2014
I got this for my mom for Christmas and let me tell you something. It basically does what my phone does, but bigger. And bigger is always better. Trust me. If she says size doesn't matter, she's lying to you. Your mom that is.

So my mom opened this on Christmas and was like, "Oh Johnny, this is excellent! Now I can play Words With Friends with my girlfriends!" First off, my name is Andrew and this hasn't been the first drunk Christmas for my mom so I was kind of irritated. Second, I didn't realize it was still 2012 and people actually still had Words With Friends on their smartphones or tablets.

Anyway, that's how my Christmas 2013 started. I got some Sox jerseys and some new clothes which was nice, including a Brooklyn Nets t-shirt from my brother and a David Ortiz wood cutout, which was pretty cool. I have it sitting on my bookshelf.

My bad I got off track. Nobody asked about my Christmas because all of my friends are drunks, so I figured I'd tell the entire Amazon community. But yeah, so my mom is sitting there dumbfounded by technology like, "Holy moly and a moldy cannoli, how does this work Johnny?" And I have to AGAIN correct her on my name and then help her sign in to her gmail and all that fun stuff. "Ma, my name isn't Johnny, ma. You gotta go over here to the Play Store and download Words With Friends, ma. No, ma, it doesn't just come on the tablet. You gotta download and install it, ma! Love you too ma." Then after the Google Play Store fiasco (it's a long story), we finally got everything firing.

The display looks nice and the tablet is pretty fast. It has a touchscreen and a few buttons, so basically if you own an Android you can operate this without anyone's help. If you have an iPhone, however, you may want to get your babysitter to explain it to you.

Overall, it's pretty nice. I've heard complaints about the speaker placement, but since I haven't watched a video on it yet I couldn't tell you whether or not that is actually a problem. At the end of the day I'd tell you to buy this if you're in the market for a tablet. Any other questions?
on January 29, 2014
I bought this for one purpose - to use a word processor on it so that I could see the text better than on my cell phone screen. I don't need to watch movies or download a lot of content or anything like that, so for me it works just fine. Also, I already own a Samsung phone and had a Google Play account, so it was nice that when it turned on, all my content downloaded and I have everything that I have on my cell phone on here as well in the same Samsung set up that I'm used to.

However, it must be said that this device, while nice and all and the size works for me, is not the zippy, high def tablet that you get for doing multiple tasks and downloading loads of things from the internet. It is quite slow loading internet pages, it often stalls if there is more than one program running, some of the widgets took forever to show up on a screen where I put it because I was downloading other apps at the same time. A few of the games I play from time to time, blink a bit with lag time, but I haven't done any heavy gaming. I assume that would be a horrible experience. It also has a tiny memory, so be ready to buy that SD card (nice feature, but these days who wants to spend extra money on an SD card, or have to have an SD card?).

Generally speaking, it works fine, it's just not very robust, the screen isn't amazing, the camera isn't spectacular, and the speed is not impressive. But for what I'm doing with it, I like it. The size is great to carry around in a purse, it fits in one hand, typing on the screen is fine (though I've gotten a bluetooth keyboard). If I wasn't using it for just the general text document processing that I am, I would imagine this would only be good for very light tablet use, maybe for young kids that don't play big, high def games, probably great for taking notes in class. Other than those select areas, I imagine this is not what people would want for all the apps and dazzling stuff you get online these days. It's outdated to say the least, but for the price, for select areas, for certain tasks you might want to accomplish, or for very light tablet use, it might suffice.
on December 1, 2013
Great value on tablet. Bought it for my son to watch movies and play games. This is a mid grade tablet. For better resolution and experience go for the 8 inch. Has better features like mirror technology and better screen. I own the 8 inch and works great. I'm also a technology buff. The 7 inch is for my young son. He won't notice the difference with resolution or speed. So saving the $100 was the best option. Still 7inch is great. Does what it needs to do and is way better then those off brand tablets for $100. Spend the money and get a samsung.
on July 24, 2015
I really wanted to like this tablet. I switched from Ipad and the experience was less then pleasant. First of, it is super slow. I mean with everything from browsing websites and downloads to emails and apps. Second, it freezes very often. At some point it simply stopped charging - I tried multiple chargers and cables and was just ready to throw it out but after few days it miraculously came back to life. Since Inswitched my phones from Apple Iphone to Samsung Glaxy S4 over 2 years ago - I never had a problem with the phone. It works flowlessly. I still use the tablets mostly for reading kindle books and sometimes watching movies but overall will be looking to replace it with something else running on Android.
on August 4, 2014
Well I can say that I pleased with this tablet, probably way more than my apple ipad (gen 1, please don't brow beat me people I am not biased). I am more familiar with andoid/window software and everything was pretty simplistic in terms of settings and apps and even transferring files which is exactly what I was looking for. I can easily transfer files between my tablet and computers (music, videos, and others) and I don't have to have some fancy account to do so thank goodness. The Display is a little bit above meh, but the size is so convenient that if this thing were a phone I would be in heaven lol (yes I would use a bluetooth to not look weird).
The speed is noticeable and the switching and closing of apps is crisp even with 5-8 of them running at the same time, sound clarity pretty good as well.
Watch out though, this tablet when it catches a virus or has a software situation, it's usually not an easy fix and seemed to have problems way more than even my apple ipad, so be a tiny bit wary, but not overly concerned as mine is still working pretty well.
The packaging was nice, nothing out of place and nothing missing. Another slight problem I did notice though was most of the browsers have NO FLASH (c'mon samsung), so if you are hoping for flash games, or even sites that use flash for learning programs expect to do some work or possibly pay some money (0.99 cents to $3)
on August 12, 2014
Great price for a tablet to play a game, keep up with email and social media, edit the occasional doc. No, it's not as speedy as an iPad, but neither is my Baby Boomer sister, for whom I purchased and set this up. ;-p It's a perfect size for someone who doesn't want to pinch and zoom every single page on a smart phone, but finds that netbook that seemed so tiny 6 years ago is actually getting left in the car or at home as 1.5 pounds gets heavy or doesn't fit in a purse.

I like 7 inches instead of 8 because it's as big as my fairly average woman's hand can easily hold in one hand (so I can tap with the other.) The 8 inch models have dual task capabilities but, again, my sister does not, y'know? I think this really fills the gap between laptop and phone better than a 9 or 10 inch tablet or netbook.

While I HATE that Samsung never upgraded this device to a version of Jelly Bean that deals with the external memory card storage (you cannot move apps to it, only media! duh! Gingerbread can do it, why not Jelly Bean?) I really think there is a lot to be said for a convenient and relatively fast and stable, modestly-priced little device for people that are checking out the whole Android experience.