- Free 60-Day Tech Support: This item is eligible for FREE Tech Support for 60 days from the date of delivery. Over the phone, our trained technicians can help you set up, configure, connect, and troubleshoot so you can start enjoying your new purchase. Owners of qualifying products can reach Tech Support by selecting your product on the Contact Us page. Learn more
Samsung PN50B650 50-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV (2009 Model)
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
Want this professionally installed?
- Installation of 1 customer-supplied TV mounting bracket
- Securing the TV and load testing the hardware
- Cord concealment within provider-supplied cover
- TV cannot be mounted above a fireplace
- TV mounting is for drywall only
- Mounting brackets requiring assembly by the pro may result in a revised estimate
- Pro will contact you within 1 business day to schedule
- Kick back and only pay when the job is done
- Backed by Amazon's Happiness Guarantee
- Book the service directly on Amazon
- Receive confirmation within 1 business day
- Backed by Amazon's Happiness Guarantee
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- 50-inch high definition TV with 1080p resolution
- Four HDMI, two component, and one composite video input
- Two 15W bottom speakers and SRS TruSurround HD for a rich surround-sound experience from two speakers
- Ultra FilterBright panel further minimizes glare and reflections
- USB 2.0 Movie for playing MP3, MPEG movies and displaying JPEG files through the USB 2.0
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Special offers and product promotions
Samsung's new PN50B650 plasma flat panel HDTV exemplifies the design and performance refinements for those with discerning tastes and a passion for innovation. Picture your favorite room filled with 50 inches of 1080p Full HD picture performance artistically accented in a new Touch of ColorTM design. Samsung's 6 Series E-Panel technology delivers improvements with our Ultra FiterBrightTM technology that further reduces glare in brighter rooms and our advanced Crystal Full HD Engine expands the picture viewing experience with less power consumption. The new Medi@2.0 connectivity package offers customizable online content via user-friendly 'widgets,' networking capability via the DLNA standard, and playback of your camera and camcorder via USB 2.0. Add 4 advanced HDMI inputs that feature Samsung's Anynet+ (CEC standard) technology making system control of compatible A/V devices like a Blu-ray player or HTIB system a one-touch operation. Experience Full 1080p performance and advanced connectivity on Samsung's new B650 series plasma HDTVs that are designed to meet higher pride of ownership expectations and lower the cost of ownership.
From the Manufacturer
(October 6, 2009)
Samsung’s new PN50B650 plasma flat panel HDTV exemplifies the design and performance refinements for those with discerning tastes and a passion for innovation. Picture your favorite room filled with 50 inches of 1080p Full HD picture performance artistically accented in a new Touch of Color design. Samsung’s 6 Series E-Panel technology delivers improvements with our Ultra FiterBright technology that further reduces glare in brighter rooms and our advanced Crystal Full HD Engine expands the picture viewing experience with less power consumption. The new Medi@2.0 connectivity package offers customizable online content via user-friendly “widgets,” networking capability via the DLNA standard, and playback of your camera and camcorder via USB 2.0. Add 4 advanced HDMI inputs that feature Samsung’s Anynet+ (CEC standard) technology making system control of compatible A/V devices like a Blu-ray player or HTIB system a one-touch operation. Experience Full 1080p performance and advanced connectivity on Samsung’s new B650 series plasma HDTVs that are designed to meet higher pride of ownership expectations and lower the cost of ownership.
The stylish Samsung PN50B650 Widescreen Plasma HDTV with innovative Touch of Color design.
- Screen Size: 50 inches
- Full 1080p HD (Learn more)
- Response Time: A fast .001ms response time optimizes fast motion video content.
- Built-in digital tuner: No external box needed
- 600Hz Subfield Motion for clear high contrast motion pictures.
- Ultra FilterBright panel further minimizes glare and reflections.
- Game Mode enhances dark areas, sharpens the picture, speeds up the image processing response and enhances the sounds of your games. Picture and sound quality optimized for the special needs of gaming systems at the touch of a button.
- USB 2.0 Movie for playing MP3, MPEG movies and displaying JPEG files through the USB 2.0.
- Touch of Color (ToC): Samsung's unique manufacturing process accents the surrounding bezel with a stylish red tone. (Learn more)
- Wide Color Enhancer 3 optimizes a given color's hue, resulting in more natural rendering of colors. (Learn more)
- Audio: Two 10-watt stereo speakers (for 20 watts of total power) plus SRS TruSurround HD.
- SRS TruSurround HD creates an immersive, feature-rich surround sound experience from two speakers, complete with rich bass, high frequency detail and clear dialog.
- DLNA-Compatible for better interopability with electronics, computers and mobile devices from many different manufacturers
- Content Library (1GB Flash Memory): stores limited amount of pictures and video for playback.
- Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) allows the TV's remote control to operate at the push of one button, peripheral AV devices such as a DVD player featuring HDMI-CEC.
- Trilingual on-screen displays in English, Spanish or French.
- Energy Star Compliant: reduces energy consumption by up to 40% compared with prior year PDP TVs.
- Swivel stand included.
- Warranty: 1 year parts and labor, backed by Samsung toll-free support
- Medi@2.0 lets you enjoy more with Internet TV, allowing you to receive content via Yahoo!, Flickr, and more via on-screen TV widgets. (Learn more)
A wide variety of multimedia devices can be connected to the set through any one of the three HDMI inputs, and the handy Anynet+ feature (HDMI-CEC) lets you control all your CEC-enabled peripherals--such as a DVD or Blu-ray player--using just one remote. HDMI is the best performing interface for displaying an HD source on an HDTV.
- HDMI (Digital A/V): 4 (1 side A/V connection, 3 rear A/V connections)
- Component Video and Audio: 2 rear
- Composite A/V: 1
- USB: 2 (picture/movie)
- PC RGB input: 1
- Ethernet (LAN): 1
- Digital audio (optical): 1
- TV without stand: 48.4 x 29.8 x 2.9 inches (WxHxD); 73.2 pounds
- TV with stand: 48.4 x 32.2 x 11.4 inches (WxHxD); 84.2 pounds
- What size TV should you get?
|In 2008, Samsung created its unique Touch of Color (ToC) design, which uses dual-injection molding to coat a translucent, colored surface to achieve an attractive crystalline appearance. The latest evolution of Samsung's ToC design begins with a deep piano black bezel that fades into distinct chrome that finishes as light ruby highlights. The intensity of the color subtly changes depending upon the viewing angle, and further accentuates the TV's slim bezel.|
|Medi@2.0 lets you enjoy more with Internet TV, allowing you to receive content via Yahoo!, Flickr, and more on screen. It also includes a content library so you can enjoy pre-loaded content, such as cooking recipes and fitness exercises. Plus, DLNA CERTIFIED connectivity lets you remotely access your PC's personal media so that you can download music, video, and photos and enjoy them anywhere in the home your TV is. Finally USB 2.0 multi-media center lets you connect a thumb drive or a digital camera quickly and easily. |
| Current Widgets || |
USA Today Sports
|With standard-definition TVs, the rule used to be that viewers would feel comfortable watching a set from a distance of 3 to 6 times the screen size in inches. With HDTV, the resolution is so much better that you can sit closer to a larger TV without noticing the pixels. So with HDTVs, the rule tends to be you can sit anywhere from 1.5 to 3 times the screen size (in inches) for the best experience. |
If you know the size of the room you have already, where you want to sit, and where your new HDTV should go once you get it, you can figure out the size HDTV you should get.
Top customer reviews
I bought the TV in 2009 and it died in early 2012. The reason was a defective x/y board or something like that. It was out of warranty so I was pretty much on my own. The TV was treated very well and did not move the whole time. it was also in a well ventilated spot with plenty of space between the TV and the wall. I am really disappointed with Samsung. Luckily I had it repaired for about $250.00 by a local guy who really knew his stuff. Based on the conversation I had with him, I could only sense it was a battle to fix. He did it though and everything works fine. I can only hope it'll work for another 3 years. I still LOVE the picture on this TV. It's the reason I didn't junk it and decided to repair it. The image quality is superb with a very natural look while still retaining it's sharp image. I hooked it up to my laptop via HDMI recently and was blown away by the image vs my fancy LCD LED monitor. There's really no comparison image-wise. I'm not a fan of LCD LED TV's at all. Anyway, I still compare it to the latest and greatest offerings out there today and with a little luck won't be needing a new one for a while. It's still holds its own picture-wise.
Update to my update:
5 years since the last repair and still running strong. I still get compliments on the picture quality and it's 2017. I'm looking at OLED's but going to wait a few years for the bugs to get worked out. Still haven't seen an LCD I would want to replace this with.
None... ive done the research and found no buzzing, no problems with CS (as some reported) im guessing a pre-installed update fixed the issue. As soon as i un-boxed it i connected the internet to use the auto update function and it said i had the new firmware. I received the item 2 days in advance when it was being delivered on Jan 6th. I ordered mine Dec 28, shipped on the 29 , got in town on Jan 4th but choose Jan 5th delivery. The TV is spectacular, crystal clear picture.. i read a few places online that users posted there calibration settings but found it better playing with the functions myself. Its not difficult, just turn an HD show like the history channel in HD and set the picture to 16x9 and calibrate the colors from there. It has a description on what everything does and just calibrate using you own performance/eye. I personally liked Dynamic mode and switched a few settings and i was ready to go. Every setting including custom mode stores your settings. You can also select Movie mode and alter movie mode to your liking. CS aka cinema smooth only operates on blue ray movies including xyzx color space. (for blue rays and PS3 games).Ive had no issues reported.
I can honestly say i feel i made a good choice. Ive gone from a Sony 46inch XBR , Samsung DLP pedestal model (limited edition touch screen) to my new one PN50B650 plasma is the best purchase ive made.. Even my father whos not into technology commented on how real it looks. The blacks are dark and it mimics a CRT TV when watching stander programing not in HD. Now i know why everyone says the picture is incredible. The TOC isn't a big deal is barely noticeable and blends in with the black unless your up close. You really see the difference of a 3million to 1 contrast ratio...and for the warry, dont be afraid of a plasma TV.
I do recommend setting the borders of the picture when viewing 4.3 programing to light and turn on pixel shift, but do not use screen fit because it disables pixel shift (helps reduce burn ins). They also have a built in white screen that washes out any after effects like logos or small images making it more resistance to burn ins. Im happy i shelled out the money! Blue Ray movies look phenomenal!
Good user menu and options.
Frustrating auto-leveling function that cannot be disabled (picture brightness will change dynamically while viewing a program of mixed light levels between scenes).
Poor reliability (experienced a one-pixel-high horizontal black line across the entire screen width at 2 years old; another one at 4 years)
Terrible customer service (refused to acknowledge widespread nature of this issue; emphasized unapologetically that it is out of warranty; will be charging $99 for a service call, then probably a few hundred more to fix the issue)
tl;dr - Made for cinemaphiles with a lot of money to throw away every 2 years on repairs or replacements. I'm done with Samsung permanently, as the phone I had (Samsung Galaxy Nexus) never worked well, even after 5 (yes -- FIVE) replacement attempts.
Most recent customer reviews
When mine started turning off/on Samsung told me it was out of warranty.Read more